Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Arcsquad12 posted:

Did Andromeda ever fix bioware's issue of being incapable of writing a player character who actually sounded smart? I know Hale and Meer put their damndest into their voice performances for Shepard, but the underlying dialogue they are given just isn't that good. They make it authentic though, no denying that. I've been looking at other Bioware titles and with the exception of origin specific dialogue options indra gin Age Origins, every Bioware protagonist has come off as an over eager yet entirely naive and ignorant doofus.

yes they fixed that in Andromeda

it's one of the reasons it's lauded as Bioware's best game

e;

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Food thread, fyi, Mass Effect Andromeda is $10 on Origin and PSN.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
That's still $20 too much

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Rinkles posted:

Food thread, fyi, Mass Effect Andromeda is $10 on Origin and PSN.

How many Wendys Jr. Bacon Cheeseburgers can I buy for $10? I think they may be a better investment. :burger:

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I would honestly spring for it for $10 if any of the companions seemed remotely interesting. When did Bioware forget how to write interesting companions, DA:I had Solas who was cool, and Sera who was at least memorable and everyone else was boring as poo poo

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

I got about $10's worth of enjoyment out of Andromeda. Unfortunately, I paid a lot more than that when I bought it. :eng99:

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
Drack was kinda cool I guess?

but yeah everyone else was extremely bad and lame. I have to struggle to remember them and I played the game barely a year ago, yeah? Meanwhile minor characters from earlier DA and ME games spring to mind immediately

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Like when the game was starting to look like a bad effort I was like "gently caress it I'll pay $20 for the gay alien dating sim bits" and they don't even do that part right. Shame on Bioware

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I would honestly spring for it for $10 if any of the companions seemed remotely interesting. When did Bioware forget how to write interesting companions, DA:I had Solas who was cool, and Sera who was at least memorable and everyone else was boring as poo poo

Oddly enough, the companion missions are the best parts of the game.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Found a new competitor for the gamer food thread, apparently it is WORSE THAN ANDROMEDA!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMPomCWUraQ

They charge 10 bucks for save slots too lol

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

$10 is a good price for mass effect andromeda don't @ me

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Removing DRM from Andromeda means they know the correct price point for that game is Free (or less)

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

it's a fun game if you just shoot aliens and don't talk to people

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ainsley McTree posted:

it's a fun game if you just shoot aliens and don't talk to people

Not really, considering it's mostly the same identical alien grunts over and over.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Not really, considering it's mostly the same identical alien grunts over and over.

True, they lack the personality of marauder shields

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
I prefer artisanal grunts, myself.

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

I like my grunts to have a little personality, like in new xcom, but prefer they die twice as often, like in old xcom.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy
The first Halo had enemies with more personality than Andromeda's, especially the grunts.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
I loved the little dudes in Halo that freaked out when you killed the stronger guys

e; which I just realized are the grunts

Moola fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Feb 25, 2018

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
So, $10 was enough for me to pull the trigger after having played all the previous ME games and all the DLCs several times over. The sense I'm getting from this thread is play the game on easy or normal since combat isn't very good, if some sidequest or mini-boss is annoying or boring just skip it sense there's so many bad ones, and make sure to hit all the companion quests since they seem to have the only good writing in the game, and the overall main plot is some generic paint by numbers aliens worship ancient tech plot and just play through being a condescending rear end in a top hat to all people as often as possible.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Is there a way to play ME:A with all the hilarious launch bugs intact because maybe I'd buy it then

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

pentyne posted:

So, $10 was enough for me to pull the trigger after having played all the previous ME games and all the DLCs several times over. The sense I'm getting from this thread is play the game on easy or normal since combat isn't very good, if some sidequest or mini-boss is annoying or boring just skip it sense there's so many bad ones, and make sure to hit all the companion quests since they seem to have the only good writing in the game, and the overall main plot is some generic paint by numbers aliens worship ancient tech plot and just play through being a condescending rear end in a top hat to all people as often as possible.

Story quests and companion quests are really the only ones you need to plan around. There's like a third tier of quests that are hit or miss. Then there's the tasks which you should loving ignore because they're awful.

Main plot is Bad Guy Aliens are subjugating Good Guy Aliens, but also there's Ancient Tech Aliens that no one knows what to do with. That's it. There's some revelations along the way but you end the game drat near right where you started; there's still angry Bad Aliens, they're still fighting hapless Good Aliens, Ancient Robo-Aliens are still around, and that orange poo poo is still everywhere, you're still Pathfinder, and the Initiative hasn't really changed at all. It does make sense to be an rear end in a top hat to everyone, yes.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy
Ryder can't even be a proper piece of poo poo rear end in a top hat, though. The most you can do is Boy Scout Snarky.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

pentyne posted:

The sense I'm getting from this thread is play the game on easy or normal since combat isn't very good

If anything play on the hardest difficulty. The combat is the best part. Other than that, yeah, ignore sidequests and focus on the main/companion quests.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Feels Villeneuve posted:

This isn't the Dragon Age thread but I thought Inquisition had a strong cast. It was also a comparatively huge cast of about thirteen main characters.

Andromeda's squad has its moments, but Liam and Cora are really boring.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Mymla posted:

If anything play on the hardest difficulty. The combat is the best part. Other than that, yeah, ignore sidequests and focus on the main/companion quests.

Some of the enemies are a little bullet sponge-y but yeah combat is actually pretty fun in this one. Which is good because little else is

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
put it this way on quests: remember how like in the Witcher 3 you would embark on some lame fetch quest and it would end up having an involved storyline with memorable characters and a cool twist or two?

Andromeda does not even attempt to do anything like that on 99% of the quests in the game

Chucktesla
Jul 13, 2014

Andromeda is bad, it's true. Only play if you like jump jet shooty stuff or if you want to see a franchise die

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

None of the plot is good. The combat is pretty good.

None of the quests are good.

The environment art is stunning in places. R I P hope those artists get better careers elsewhere.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Arglebargle III posted:

The environment art is stunning in places. R I P hope those artists get better careers elsewhere.

Poland and Quebec have to have similar climates right.

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Arglebargle III posted:

That one quest with the pregnant lady that you do for Tired Face Woman is interesting in a "haha what the gently caress were they thinking?" way.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

ninjewtsu posted:

Is there a way to play ME:A with all the hilarious launch bugs intact because maybe I'd buy it then

Buy a physical copy, and make sure you're not connected to the Internet so it won't try to update.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

im cute posted:

That one quest with the pregnant lady that you do for Tired Face Woman is interesting in a "haha what the gently caress were they thinking?" way.

when you hire fanfiction writers from tumblr

turns out you get fanfiction from tumblr quality writing from them

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

Tumblr fanfic writers write trans folk than ME:A did before they got called out and patched it.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
none of this game is good and nobody should ever play it

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

this is false because otherwise there'd be gay turians

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Moola posted:

:hai:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Moola posted:

It's alright.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

3/3 skull avatars can’t be wrong.