Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Pfft any cord will fit if you try hard enough. I once had to troubleshoot a machine where someone plugged their usb mouse into, from memory, the serial port. I have no idea why they thought that was the right place for it to go, but kudos for doing something new.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

Pfft any cord will fit if you try hard enough. I once had to troubleshoot a machine where someone plugged their usb mouse into, from memory, the serial port. I have no idea why they thought that was the right place for it to go, but kudos for doing something new.

:stare: how?

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
I remember accidentally plugging USB devices into the Ethernet port of my laptop all the time - had just the right width.

Leathal posted:

Holy gently caress somehow I think I’m even more confused than I was before I posted itt

(seriously though, this monitor issue was loving annoying to figure out to the point where I had to post a “plz help” in SHSC - so I can only imagine the shitshow that’s gonna happen in a year or two when non-nerds start running into similar issues when poo poo doesn’t work even though “the cord thingy fits the plug thingy”)

The greatest thing: It's not just the plugs that differ in capability, it's also the cables - regular USB-C cables you can buy won't be able to do DP alt mode or Thunderbolt, for example - just USB 3.0/USB 3.1 Gen 1 in general, or maybe even just USB 2.0.

Finding a longer cable for my USB-C (DP alt mode) displays was kind of a nightmare.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Binary Badger posted:

I bet Jony's responsible for that too. "Next, we take the letters off the keys! You should know them by heart now!"
The early 2016 laptop keyboards didn’t have the ⌃, ⌘ or ⌥ symbols on the relevant keys so unless you’re already Mac-aware I have no idea how you’re supposed to know what those symbols mean in the OS

eames
May 9, 2009

2018 Mac minis have trouble with USB2/USB3 audio interfaces :sigh:

mac audio software developer posted:

In clear words: there is currently no way to have a Mac Mini 2018 working without audio errors when using USB 2, neither directly nor with the standard USB-C to USB-A adapters.

source

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Actually, every post 2015 laptop too it looks like.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Must be specific input devices, we've been recording a podcast on a 2018 MBP and a 2018 mini with Behringer interfaces via USB 2 and we haven't had issues.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

kefkafloyd posted:

Must be specific input devices, we've been recording a podcast on a 2018 MBP and a 2018 mini with Behringer interfaces via USB 2 and we haven't had issues.

Same interface; no issues.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

eames posted:

2018 Mac minis have trouble with USB2/USB3 audio interfaces :sigh:

source

Hm. I'm using an Expert Sleepers ES-8 which is USB2.0 into my Mini. Just tested it out by recording an hour's worth of sine wave and RX7 doesn't show any clicks or degradation.

eames
May 9, 2009

That's reassuring, I held off on my mini purchase but it looks like only a few interfaces are affected or perhaps they already fixed it via a software update?

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.
Took my Macbook Pro (mid 2014) to the Apple store today for repair. It has a failed graphics board/display hw issue.

They quoted $475 flat fee to fix it. Close to $500 after tax. Will have a 90 day warranty afterwards.

Obligatory bitching: "repairs are expensive"

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
dedicated gpu problems? doing things that don't need massive amounts of gpu power? just disable the dedicated

seems like a recurring mbp problem going back to the first mbp

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

Wild EEPROM posted:

dedicated gpu problems? doing things that don't need massive amounts of gpu power? just disable the dedicated

I think it has integrated GPU. Tried all kinds of disable output/render with phone tech support with no luck.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Howard Phillips posted:

Took my Macbook Pro (mid 2014) to the Apple store today for repair. It has a failed graphics board/display hw issue.

They quoted $475 flat fee to fix it. Close to $500 after tax. Will have a 90 day warranty afterwards.

Obligatory bitching: "repairs are expensive"

There are no graphics boards in any Macbooks. They have to replace the entire logic board. So what they told you and what the problem actually is.. who the gently caress knows.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

redeyes posted:

There are no graphics boards in any Macbooks. They have to replace the entire logic board. So what they told you and what the problem actually is.. who the gently caress knows.

Also it’s like nearly 5 years old at this point it’s an expensive repair sure but the thing will definitely last you a good few more years which isn’t something you can say for a lot of other machines.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

redeyes posted:

Yeah the guy mentioned replacing logic board. As long as I get 2 years out of it I will be happy. Love the keyboard on the 2014 Macbook Pro.

Djimi
Jan 23, 2004

I like digital data

Howard Phillips posted:

Yeah the guy mentioned replacing logic board. As long as I get 2 years out of it I will be happy. Love the keyboard on the 2014 Macbook Pro.

The quickest way to determine your graphics is to turn your laptop over and if the EMC reads 2876, it's integrated, and if it's 2881 it's dual graphics.

Curious - what is/was your use case for it and daily use? Did you ever tax it that hard? I have one, so I am curious.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

MarcusSA posted:

Also it’s like nearly 5 years old at this point it’s an expensive repair sure but the thing will definitely last you a good few more years which isn’t something you can say for a lot of other machines.

I wouldn't bet on a 5 year old computer enough to put $500 into it. Its like putting a $2k transmission into a $3000 beater. Just buy a new one and sell this one for parts.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Honestly while I still think I’ll just got with a 2015 base model MB 13, I’m wondering why the 2017 MacBook Air (before the redesign) isn’t $500. I don’t even care it has the crappy screen. Give it to me and a 4K display for $300 and I’d be set. My travel computer mind you, most of the time I’m on my 5k iMac.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Wild EEPROM posted:

This seems like one of the big reasons that nVidia is currently in Apple's doghouse. The debacle with people returning 2010/11 MBPs in droves significantly impacted the profit on those models, and by Late 2013 Apple pretty much stopped using nVidia chips on desktops and mid 2015 for laptops.

My feeling is that Apple will never trust nVidia again for mobile parts and might let them be used for the next Mac Pro IF enough pros furiously bitch to them that they need nVidia hardware to stay competitive.

There's also the possibility of them telling both ATI/AMD and nVidia to gently caress off and produce their own desktop GPU based on the PowerVR architecture (the company behind the PowerVR chips already had a PCIe version running at CES 2-3 years ago) but that would be definitely out of left field..

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

Djimi posted:

The quickest way to determine your graphics is to turn your laptop over and if the EMC reads 2876, it's integrated, and if it's 2881 it's dual graphics.

Curious - what is/was your use case for it and daily use? Did you ever tax it that hard? I have one, so I am curious.

Use case is very mild. Word processing, youtube, movies once in a while, email, and very light programming in Python for class. Don't remember exact cycles but my battery also had below average use cycle. Because I was in the military it had significant periods where it wasn't ever turned on. I looked it up before but I'm 100% sure mine was integrated. Intel Iris graphics.

So never taxed it hard. Didn't have a case but I babied it and didn't carry it around that much. Funny how I was thinking the retina screen looks amazing for a 4 yo laptop the day before it poo poo the bed lol.

Mark Larson posted:

I wouldn't bet on a 5 year old computer enough to put $500 into it. Its like putting a $2k transmission into a $3000 beater. Just buy a new one and sell this one for parts.

Yeah Apple genius said I have 90 day warrant after the repair. What would happen if I never pick it up and therefore avoid the payment on it? Guy said I pay when I pick it up.

Howard Phillips fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Feb 11, 2019

eames
May 9, 2009

I hope that Mac Pro will arrive on schedule :thunk:

article posted:

To say we were shocked by these results is perhaps an understatement. Looking at the results the numbers of Mac and PC Pro Tools users has effectively flipped in position in around three years. We knew there were some Pro Tools users feeling aggrieved by Apple’s lack of progress on a pro Apple Mac but we never expected the numbers to show such a change.

https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/ho...larming-results

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Not surprising since Apple knows it can't keep selling a six year old trash can as a viable alternative to a spanking new HP workstation, especially at essentially the same prices they've been since loving 2013 with only slight reductions.

The article does paint a ray of hope with the arrival of the 2018 Mac Minis, but it's gonna be tough to stem the tide unless there's a lot more Mac fans in the pro community, which itself is unlikely given the loving neglect Apple has had towards the Pro line.

Even the 'never-before' instance of Apple promising the arrival of a new Mac Pro machine in 2018 2019 isn't going to help much IMHO unless they come out with a design that knocks it out of the park. Looking at their track record with current iPhoneys and rMBPs, not holding out much hope.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Feb 11, 2019

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Binary Badger posted:

Even the 'never-before' instance of Apple promising the arrival of a new Mac Pro machine in 2018 2019 isn't going to help much IMHO unless they come out with a design that knocks it out of the park.

the new mac pro was never slated to release in 2018.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

eames posted:

I hope that Mac Pro will arrive on schedule :thunk:

https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/ho...larming-results

People can’t record phat beatz on iMacs or what?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Bob Morales posted:

And most studio people stay on legacy hardware anyway and won't even update the system OS until it's absolutely known it won't gently caress up their workflow. It's not like people weren't able to make tracks using 2012 gear, so this is probably more of a reflection of where Apple were at a bunch of years ago than when they currently are. Not that that is great news either way.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Bob Morales posted:

Why would they, when better machines from other manufacturers are available?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Bob Morales posted:

I thought the problem was that interfaces and stuff need PCI slots.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

tuyop posted:

I thought the problem was that interfaces and stuff need PCI slots.

Half the fucks I know I with Macs are wannabe rappers/djs who run pro tools on MacBooks :shrug:

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I couldn't imagine using anything other than a mac in most of my dev classes. Mmmmm Terminal.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Gay Retard posted:

I couldn't imagine using anything other than a mac in most of my dev classes. Mmmmm Terminal.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wsl/install-win10

Windows supports running a full Linux seamlessly on top, that's much more useful in dev classes.

Lambert fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Feb 11, 2019

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Yeah for systems development I almost always need to fall back to a Linux box.

Edit: earlier today I was just looking at code that didn’t work on macOS because of the lack of the sem_init system call. Maybe that’s the correct choice for Apple’s purposes, but doesn’t help when I have code I need to build on that uses it.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Lambert posted:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wsl/install-win10

Windows supports running a full Linux seamlessly on top, that's much more useful in dev classes.

Almost all of the instructions for the tools in my various Python/Data Analysis classes seem easier to run and install on Mac compared to the instructions for their Windows counterparts. Who knows, though - maybe the professors are trying to avoid installing an entire OS on student's Windows laptops.

I was talking about the ease of use out of the box, anyways.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
Yeah, Microsoft with WSL and Google with Crostini are gunning for the dev market. I haven't tried the latter, but WSL Just Works for most cases. I was even able to get stuff like selenium running in WSL talking to the native windows browsers for integration tests. It just needs a better terminal emulator solution (which is being worked on), and maybe for the rest of the OS to feel less like a gross ad platform, but what're you gonna do.

Apple's still the premium option but there's gonna be two Good Enough ones soon. Just 2 years ago I would have said a MacBook is a near necessity, but now not so much.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Gay Retard posted:

Almost all of the instructions for the tools in my various Python/Data Analysis classes seem easier to run and install on Mac compared to the instructions for their Windows counterparts. Who knows, though - maybe the professors are trying to avoid installing an entire OS on student's Windows laptops.

I was talking about the ease of use out of the box, anyways.

What you'd do is run the Linux instructions, not the Windows instructions.

It's more likely the instructions in general are simply old, the WSL is relatively new. And it doesn't amount to installing an entire OS on student's Windows laptops like you'd do in a virtualized environment like Hyper-V, it's pretty seamless. You just enable the feature and download the desired distribution from the Store - done.

Lambert fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Feb 11, 2019

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

The Milkman posted:

Yeah, Microsoft with WSL and Google with Crostini are gunning for the dev market. I haven't tried the latter, but WSL Just Works for most cases. I was even able to get stuff like selenium running in WSL talking to the native windows browsers for integration tests. It just needs a better terminal emulator solution (which is being worked on), and maybe for the rest of the OS to feel less like a gross ad platform, but what're you gonna do.

Apple's still the premium option but there's gonna be two Good Enough ones soon. Just 2 years ago I would have said a MacBook is a near necessity, but now not so much.

Does Microsoft still have no way of running manual updates except lying to the OS about how you're on a metered internet connection so it shouldn't download and run things while you're working? That and injecting ads into this start menu are the big things holding me back.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Pakistani Brad Pitt posted:

Does Microsoft still have no way of running manual updates except lying to the OS about how you're on a metered internet connection so it shouldn't download and run things while you're working? That and injecting ads into this start menu are the big things holding me back.

You'll still need to install some sort of app that prevents random update restarts from happening.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I use Windows 10 every day, and it's still a piece of lovely garbage.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I Remote Desktop'd into the i3 Win10 box sitting in my living room and it's been doing updates for 2 hrs since it hasn't been turned on since December, lol. I've only kept it alive to occasionally play or burn DVD's, and possibly use to run cameras/Blue Iris someday.

We still use Win7 at work. :newlol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Pakistani Brad Pitt posted:

You can set the "don't restart hours" for 18 hours of every day. All ad options can be disabled. But to stop Windows from restarting even outside those hours, you need to download a tool that changes the active hours every hour to +1.

EL BROMANCE posted:

I use Windows 10 every day, and it's still a piece of lovely garbage.

Nah, it's pretty good.