Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
Let's read this shall we

~dR3Amz~ posted:

So i was going through some old newsletters and one peaked my interest (The one that had research/lab equipment at the bottom)

This firstly got me thinking bout the role of a medic. In all honestly i feel like if its just inject a wounded player with a G-heal and they are all patched up it would be rather boring and pretty one dimensional.
[...]
The medic heads to the lab and now the process starts. He mixes Chemical A and B and puts it in the centrifuge (Now the centrifuge has a suggested time and rpm but if the medic has sufficient knowledge he can set it to his own liking to obtain a higher yield) once centrifuged Chemical C is formed ... Chemical C is mixed with chemical F then put in an oven for a period of time at a specific temperature then the antidote is formed .. the medic puts it in the scanner and its identified as the antidote. The medic injects the player and the player is alleviated of his symptoms (most known toxins are not fatal and the alternative would be to head to a station with medical facilities and pay an amount of credits then your all good) NB. I'll be splitting the scenarios up as to not make this any longer. [...]

On the eve of the sixth year of the War on Fun,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
You know this situation?
  • You play SquadronBattle.
  • You fight against a worthy adversary for what feels like eternity.
  • You are going to win!
  • Harvesting the hard earned, precious points is only one shot away aaaaaand...
  • ....it's gone.
  • Another player of your team landed the killing shot.
Frustrating, right?

Especially in SquadronBattle, where there should be a good Team-feeling, the current points-for-kill method opposes proper team-play. It is more like a competition between players on the same team fighting against each-other to get the last hit.

My suggestion:
  • Divide the points rewarded for the kill between the players who contributed, relative to the amount of damage they did to the target.
  • This contribution-counter is reset, when the targeted ship you did damage to respawns.
  • It is not reset after a repair-collect of the ship you attacked.
  • The player who landed the final killing blow gets the +1 kill count.
  • If a player did not engage/hit the target for over 60 seconds he is no longer counted as contributor.
example 1:
  • PlayerA fights TargetX and does 900 damage.
  • PlayerB passes by and shoots at TargetX, does 100 damage and kills TargetX.
  • Now PlayerA receives 90% of the kill reward points while PlayerB receives 10% of the kill-reward points and the kill count.
example 2:
  • PlayerB also fights TargetX and does 400 damage.
  • TargetX repairs 400 health points.
  • PlayerA hits TargetX and does 100 damage.
  • PlayerB hits TargetX and does 600 damage and kills TargetX.
  • PlayerA also receives 50% of the kill-reward-points.
  • PlayerB receives 50% of the kill-reward-points and gets +1 kill.
Because both players did a total of 1000 damage to the target.

example 3:
  • PlayerA fights TargetX and does 500 damage.
  • PlayerB also fights TargetX and does 500 damage.
  • PlayerA gets frustrated with TargetX and goes to look for a different target on the other side of the map.
  • PlayerB fights with TargetX for another 70 seconds and does 500 damage.
  • PlayerC joins the fight and does 500 damage to TargetX
  • PlayerB does 500 damage again and kills TargetX
  • PlayerA did a total of 500 damage but gets 0% points, because he had disengaged the target for over 60 seconds.
  • PlayerB did a total of 1500 damage and gets 75% of the kill points and the kill +1 count.
  • PlayerC did a total of 500 damage and gets 25% of the kill points.
I very much believe that this would lead to much more teamplay and a better teamplay experience.

What do you guys think?

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

So i was going through some old newsletters and one peaked my interest (The one that had research/lab equipment at the bottom)

This firstly got me thinking bout the role of a medic. In all honestly i feel like if its just inject a wounded player with a G-heal and they are all patched up it would be rather boring and pretty one dimensional.

Don't get me wrong I'm not asking for like doing surgery that'll take forever or something like that, No. The situations i envision go as follows. -You land on a planet with various wildlife, some species are harmless some are aggressive and some are venous or toxic. As your walking about a small venomous critter stings you ( Some might argue as to how through your space suit) for scenario's sake lets just say the stinger is powerful enough to puncher it. You characters vision starts getting blurring and they breathe heavily . their stamina is at an all time low and their response time is terrible. You space suit indicates that there's a toxin present .. you rush to your ship with your medic. (Now the following is what id like the medic to be able to do) you guys head to the medic bay ... the medic picks up an empty syringe (which are purchasable at stations and have to be restocked from time to time) draws your blood and inserts it into a scanner ... The scanner takes about 30seconds to identify the toxin .. the toxin is identified and the interface gives a list of known antidotes. Said antidotes to be manufactured require certain chemicals ... your medic checks the ships inventory and finds that they have just enough material to make the antidote. The scanner also shows how to make the antidote. The medic heads to the lab and now the process starts. He mixes Chemical A and B and puts it in the centrifuge (Now the centrifuge has a suggested time and rpm but if the medic has sufficient knowledge he can set it to his own liking to obtain a higher yield) once centrifuged Chemical C is formed ... Chemical C is mixed with chemical F then put in an oven for a period of time at a specific temperature then the antidote is formed .. the medic puts it in the scanner and its identified as the antidote. The medic injects the player and the player is alleviated of his symptoms (most known toxins are not fatal and the alternative would be to head to a station with medical facilities and pay an amount of credits then your all good) NB. I'll be splitting the scenarios up as to not make this any longer. The second scenarios is as follows (not necessarily about a medic) - You get a job stating that a collector wants a "Volox Stregent" (Lol literally just made that name up .. don't judge) now these creatures are found on a remote planet and is illegal to hunt or trade them. The collector is willing to to pay a small fortune for it but he wants it ALIVE. These creature are known to be fierce and relatively fast so you'll need a tranquilizer (A very specific tranquilizer that is rather hard to come by and costs a fair amount of credits for a single syringe) the collector offers the recipe to manufacture the tranquilizer yourself should you wish to. Now some of the ingredients for the tranq will require you to go to some lawless outposts/planets to buy them on the black market and others are easier to come by. The list is long but for that amount of credits your willing to tough it out. After some pirate blasting, UEE dodging and cargo hiding you finally have everything you need. You head to your lab(if you don't have one you can hire out someones else's) to start. (The process is rather tedious) You centrifuge, heat, vibrate, scan, purify, centrifuge again, test, vibrate once more then finally you put it in the scanner again and it identifies it as the tranq with 100% purity and it states that this tranq is banned under UEE law. After all the trial and error trying to make it you were able to produce 5 doses of the tranq meaning five shots. You head to the planet and after a while of moving slowly and hiding you finally spot the volvox ( your heart beating and mouth watering as you can taste all those credits) You load your tranqs into your riffle and aim(now the volvox requires at least 2 doses) you take a few shots and miss .. the volvox is on alert now.. you take two more shots again and finally they both hit it. Its falls to the ground and you drag it to your ship. You have one left over tranq .. either you keep it and risk getting busted with it or sell it on the black market and make some credits. With the volvox in your cargo hold you rush to the rendezvous point .. praying that the UEE doesn't spot you or get attacked by a bored pirate. You meet the collector and he pays what he promised and you're a very happy space dude ... You get to keep the recipe or sell it to an information broker which ever it is .. your pretty happy.

gently caress am I going to a medical degree to play this?

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

ripptide posted:

Actually, their stated business model is "Donate more and we'll take longer making it more fidelitious."

Right now it is.

That'll change.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Star Citizen is really shaping up to be the best damned life replacement ever

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
Maybe making video games is easy???

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Sillybones posted:

Maybe making video games is easy???

maybe, but what they're making isn't a game

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

You know this situation?
  • You play SquadronBattle.
  • You fight against a worthy adversary for what feels like eternity.
  • You are going to win!
  • Harvesting the hard earned, precious points is only one shot away aaaaaand...
  • ....it's gone.
  • Another player of your team landed the killing shot.
Frustrating, right?

Especially in SquadronBattle, where there should be a good Team-feeling, the current points-for-kill method opposes proper team-play. It is more like a competition between players on the same team fighting against each-other to get the last hit.

My suggestion:
  • Divide the points rewarded for the kill between the players who contributed, relative to the amount of damage they did to the target.
  • This contribution-counter is reset, when the targeted ship you did damage to respawns.
  • It is not reset after a repair-collect of the ship you attacked.
  • The player who landed the final killing blow gets the +1 kill count.
  • If a player did not engage/hit the target for over 60 seconds he is no longer counted as contributor.
example 1:
  • PlayerB passes by and shoots at TargetX, does 100 damage and kills TargetX.
  • Now PlayerA receives 90% of the kill reward points while PlayerB receives 10% of the kill-reward points and the kill count.
example 2:
  • PlayerB also fights TargetX and does 400 damage.
  • TargetX repairs 400 health points.
  • PlayerA hits TargetX and does 100 damage.
  • PlayerB hits TargetX and does 600 damage and kills TargetX.
  • PlayerA also receives 50% of the kill-reward-points.
  • PlayerB receives 50% of the kill-reward-points and gets +1 kill.
Because both players did a total of 1000 damage to the target.

example 3:
  • PlayerA fights TargetX and does 500 damage.
  • PlayerB also fights TargetX and does 500 damage.
  • PlayerA gets frustrated with TargetX and goes to look for a different target on the other side of the map.
  • PlayerB fights with TargetX for another 70 seconds and does 500 damage.
  • PlayerC joins the fight and does 500 damage to TargetX
  • PlayerB does 500 damage again and kills TargetX
  • PlayerA did a total of 500 damage but gets 0% points, because he had disengaged the target for over 60 seconds.
  • PlayerB did a total of 1500 damage and gets 75% of the kill points and the kill +1 count.
  • PlayerC did a total of 500 damage and gets 25% of the kill points.
I very much believe that this would lead to much more teamplay and a better teamplay experience.

What do you guys think?

Happens to me all the time. Luckily if they change this it means I can earn enough REC in <10 hours to be able to rent a ship capable of a killshot for a week.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

starkebn posted:

Star Citizen is really shaping up to be the best damned life replacement ever

Actually from their descriptions, life in the 'verse sounds severely depressing. And not in a ye brutal Medieval tymes in wich a Manne strays never far from his grave way but more like a tedious and pedantic grey nightmare where you sort difficult forms into different furnaces

Roflan
Nov 25, 2007

Hey all,

Just a quick discussion. When the persistent universe is finally launched, will we be looking at NPCs in a similar fashion of West World's Hosts? Will there be NPCs walking around planets / flying around space, that once interacted with will be sort of locked until their mission is complete?
Will they simply respawn once the player flies away?

Will missions change similar to WW, where if you kill one of the NPCs (which you can freely do) suddenly you take one side or another of a system wide fight?

What do you guys think? I'm hoping it won't be a simple Npc stands still, tells you, and everyone else, to fetch stuff, with no actual interaction or change in the mission like we see in so many other MMOs.

With all the worlds / systems that will be in the game, not even mentioning all the systems, and NPCs that can fill that space, I could see NPCs locking into a player's mission until a sequence is complete, or until the quest is finished if the quest is short enough, leading to some very epic interactions, and in depth story lines.

EDIT: Thread derailed, ITT: Discussing how NPCs will work, simulated life, and what the death of an NPC will mean.

Some people(namely me) have a shitfit if there is competition for mobs after playing open tagging games like Guild Wars 2, then going back to closed tagging games. Imagine how people would respond if after someone took a quest, no one else could take that quest until that person finished it...

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Actually from their descriptions, life in the 'verse sounds severely depressing. And not in a ye brutal Medieval tymes in wich a Manne strays never far from his grave way but more like a tedious and pedantic grey nightmare where you sort difficult forms into different furnaces

Ask yourself the question about what kind of person you are if you dream of a job stacking boxes in your truck.

no_recall posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04IKXdn96xA

Network bind / unbind / refactor / persistent data.

Really??? Shitizens buy these things?

e: Router Biasing / Network Diffusion.... WTF?

Yep. Although router biasing is more server weighting, they just like using a bunch more words to make it sound like they're breaking new ground in networking when they're actually using Route53 and ALB.

Edit:

To go a little further; Back when I played Eve, I was 'self-employed', so it filled out some time. I met a bunch of people playing the game in the day time, and they'd either be self-employed, disabled or full time carers - I'm saying that some of the people invested in this thing really are looking for a non-poo poo second-life that isn't chock full of griefers.

Hav fucked around with this message at 15:19 on May 8, 2017

Roflan
Nov 25, 2007

Hav posted:

To go a little further; Back when I played Eve, I was 'self-employed', so it filled out some time. I met a bunch of people playing the game in the day time, and they'd either be self-employed, disabled or full time carers - I'm saying that some of the people invested in this thing really are looking for a non-poo poo second-life that isn't chock full of griefers.

Why can't they just grind out all 29 ledgendary weapons in Guild Wars 2 or get each classes level 260 armor in FFXIV, like us non-insane people?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Roflan posted:

Why can't they just grind out all 29 ledgendary weapons in Guild Wars 2 or get each classes level 260 armor in FFXIV, like us non-insane people?

Because those games are fun

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

Well, as a last ditch effort, they could get the Wh40k licence and be the most fidelious experience of an average human in the Imperium of Man.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

cool new Polack jokes posted:

Who the gently caress are Delamar and Levski and why are they holding up the project?

It was the planet/station shown in the 3.0 demo at Gamescom last August. CIG doesn't know if the only thing they have presented as 3.0 will make the 3.0 deadline, almost a year after it was first revealed.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Roflan posted:

They're probably already done that. Again, if all you have is time and a fixed income...

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Roflan posted:

Some people(namely me) have a shitfit if there is competition for mobs after playing open tagging games like Guild Wars 2, then going back to closed tagging games. Imagine how people would respond if after someone took a quest, no one else could take that quest until that person finished it...

they have never played other games, so can not be expected to have the experience to back up their dreams

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
WOW is pretty fidelitious within its game world.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Tokamak posted:

It was the planet/station shown in the 3.0 demo at Gamescom last August. CIG doesn't know if the only thing they have presented as 3.0 will make the 3.0 deadline, almost a year after it was first revealed.

Yep. And it's funnier, I think, if you precede all 3.0 with pre-alpha. They have supposedly shown pre-alpha footage about a year ago of something that they are still unable to release under the pre-alpha tag.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

TrustmeImLegit posted:

WOW is pretty fidelitious within its game world.

WoW, over it's very long history, has successfully changed from an Everquest clone into an actual playable game. So much stuff has been reworked that was only in there because it took a while to realise it's better for things to be fun and convenient than try and be "well, in a real rpg world things should be like this"

It's not a world, it's basically a big chat room filled with mini games. And it's better for it.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Of course CRoberts could never learn a thing from the development of WoW

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

starkebn posted:

WoW, over it's very long history, has successfully changed from an Everquest clone into an actual playable game. So much stuff has been reworked that was only in there because it took a while to realise it's better for things to be fun and convenient than try and be "well, in a real rpg world things should be like this"

It's not a world, it's basically a big chat room filled with mini games. And it's better for it.

Agreed, what Blizz have done is spent the last 14 years looking at data and streamlining the game, taking out what is essentially busy work, like rogues having to make all their poisons all the time - it was a fun mechanic until you did it ten times then it became a pain in the rear end chore. What Chris is doing is acting on zero data and putting busy work in - thinking he is the first to think of it and a visionary genius, where in reality it's because everyone else learned those lessons years ago and shitcanned them all :laugh:

I like old WoW but can see how they have it down to an exact science these days

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Star Citizen: everyone else learned those lessons years ago and shitcanned them all

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
I never played WOW until like 2 years ago. Mostly because in college I was too busy with work and school. Now I just work. The game world is breathtakingly huge and its a fun style. Not 100 Sextillion km^3 of course. But theres actual things to do in WOW. Theres definitely tedious poo poo in wow but rarely is it manadatory. Its 99% of the time for cosmetic stuff (like rep grinding).

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

where's the qcs thread

what?

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

starkebn posted:

which one is OldSchoolCmdr and which one is Reddit, obviously the Jaguar looking on is us

http://i.imgur.com/HKqpqNF.mp4

Is nobody going to comment on how those cats are in what looks like a office, sealed with a chunk of drywall shoved into the door handles? Because I'm pretty sure I could push out of there, much less 400 pounds of predator.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Viscous Soda posted:

Is nobody going to comment on how those cats are in what looks like a office, sealed with a chunk of drywall shoved into the door handles? Because I'm pretty sure I could push out of there, much less 400 pounds of predator.

400 pounds of goon would just go through the glass

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

TrustmeImLegit posted:

3.0 build sneak peak

and right in front of that mormon temple too

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

Viscous Soda posted:

Thankfully, like all the civilised world, they don't know what a pound is.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

This good ol' commander o9 is giving Mirificus extra work. This make me shamefully escape my downvote all duty.

Zzr fucked around with this message at 18:04 on May 8, 2017

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

1) Any new updates to SC that made it more horrible?

2) Any new major tom videos?

3) Why was samizdata banned?

4) And new Sandi or Ben relvations?

5) Is Moma still shilling?

6) TheAgent or eightace drop any new details?

7) What are the revised release dates for 3.0 since march is come and gone

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

I'm glad Samizdata's account is dead

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
Derek is the the metaphorical "Emo 15yr old" who thinks he knows better than a US Marine with extensive combat experience about a AR15/M16 because he read some books and played COD.

He is like so many people I have worked with in retail, they think they are a expert because they read a book on the subject,but ask them to actually stack a shelf and do stock rotation then they are completely out of their depth.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Ayn Marx posted:

I'm glad Samizdata's account is dead

Free Samizdata.

ZenMaster posted:

1) Any new updates to SC that made it more horrible?

2) Any new major tom videos?

3) Why was samizdata banned?

4) And new Sandi or Ben relvations?

5) Is Moma still shilling?

6) TheAgent or eightace drop any new details?

7) What are the revised release dates for 3.0 since march is come and gone

1) Just about as horrible as ever
2) You monster, leave him alone.
3) Why wasn't he banned.
4) Ben still fat, Sandi still thirsty.
5) Is a frog's arse watertight?
6) 3.0 is going to be less than advertised
7) End'o'June.

TrustmeImLegit posted:

Unironically because I played COD I am able to successfully recognize and operate all manner of firearms.

The P90 was more depressing in person, but that's because loading the mags with 10 rounds was painful. I still want one.

I'm roadkill when the SHTF.

Hav fucked around with this message at 18:18 on May 8, 2017

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Unironically because I played COD I am able to successfully recognize and operate all manner of firearms.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

My friend asked me yesterday how a developer (chris?)said years ago that you could turn your ship gravity off and accelerate and slame people into walls to kill them but just yesterday, some 2 years later, a streamer flew their ship into the side of a spacestation and it bounced around like a ping-pong ball.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Viscous Soda posted:

I'm guessing Saudi Arabia (for the lols). Also, an art gallery.