Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!
i had to exchange whatever money i planned on using at the airport before leaving

EDIT: worst snipe of all time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
seems kind of bizarre but its also understandable. on the other hand if i went to cuba i wouldn't be interested in the slightest in tourist poo poo beyond the beach or museums or whatever.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Larry Parrish posted:

seems kind of bizarre but its also understandable. on the other hand if i went to cuba i wouldn't be interested in the slightest in tourist poo poo beyond the beach or museums or whatever.

what other tourist stuff can you name

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

i say swears online posted:

if cuba is anything like california im sure they have all kinds of stupid rear end tours where you pay a lot of money to get shown around public parks. maybe they even read a couple factoid plaques out for you. but in this particular area the tourism industry mostly makes money off of lovely boutique stores and horse rides, which i admit has perhaps warped my perspective.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

i say swears online posted:

rum and cigars

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Larry Parrish posted:

if cuba is anything like california im sure they have all kinds of stupid rear end tours where you pay a lot of money to get shown around public parks. maybe they even read a couple factoid plaques out for you. but in this particular area the tourism industry mostly makes money off of lovely boutique stores and horse rides, which i admit has perhaps warped my perspective.

yeah i guess i'm the same way. the closest i'll get to a Sandals is combing over the ruins

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!
the tourist section of havana is exactly like the tourist poo poo anywhere else. like there are still jewelry stores, fashion boutiques, and all that poo poo. it's just the rich foreigners are getting fleeced by the cuban gov instead of foreign bouge.

Tricky D fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Feb 21, 2021

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tricky D posted:

the tourist section of havana is exactly like the tourist poo poo anywhere where else. like there are still jewelry stores, fashion boutiques, and all that poo poo. it's just the rich foreigners are getting fleeced by the cuban gov instead of foreign bouge.

which is why it sounds like a lame place to vacation and/or tour

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Larry Parrish posted:

which is why it sounds like a lame place to vacation and/or tour

any popular city will have that, but it'll also have cool stuff. that's like saying tokyo sounds lame because of all the expensive hotels and restaurants

old city san juan PR is touristy af but one night i found a history professor taking out all his students to a bar and we did toasts to evo morales all night and it ruled

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!
the problem was that the local stuff was frozen out to foreigners because of the dual currency. i didn't stay in the tourist section/downtown on purpose, but there was nothing accessible nearby. i spent a lot of time just walking the streets and soaking in the architecture

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
to clarify it sounded lame specifically because of the dual currency thing. im sure cuba is cool but if i ever have the money to take a vacation im not going to want to spend a single second around loving rich people doing it. if i went to tokyo i'd have fun but it wouldn't be downtown or whatever the fancy part is.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
bar hopping in tokyo or havana both sound pretty enjoyable though i imagine all the american accessible places in the latter would just be hemingway tourist traps which sounds sucky

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!

Minrad posted:

bar hopping in tokyo or havana both sound pretty enjoyable though i imagine all the american accessible places in the latter would just be hemingway tourist traps which sounds sucky

it was fun and the most crowded bar i went to has a statue of hemingway sitting at the bar

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/MarkAmesExiled/status/1363524673674313728

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

He also changed the middle east thread title to "watch brown moses start a war" because he is a shithead.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That would be really funny if it wasnt bragging about himself

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Tricky D posted:

the problem was that the local stuff was frozen out to foreigners because of the dual currency. i didn't stay in the tourist section/downtown on purpose, but there was nothing accessible nearby. i spent a lot of time just walking the streets and soaking in the architecture

hmm maybe I don’t want to visit Cuba then. I wonder if there’s a way to get a local to take you around to cool local places if you pay in advance

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!
the dual currency system is over. go to cuba if you want to/can and tell me how it goes

EDIT: ↓↓↓↓↓ the classic car tour i took showed us all the cool revolutionary monuments in the gov plaza

Tricky D fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Feb 22, 2021

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
they should have tours for communist foreigners where they show you cool stuff about the government. it would be propaganda, of course, but the good kind

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Larry Parrish posted:

to clarify it sounded lame specifically because of the dual currency thing. im sure cuba is cool but if i ever have the money to take a vacation im not going to want to spend a single second around loving rich people doing it. if i went to tokyo i'd have fun but it wouldn't be downtown or whatever the fancy part is.

i would go to cuba and chill on a beach and support cuba by spending my foreign currency in all the touristy places

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
buying and guzzling mojitos, leftistly....my dream

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Quisiera Dos Cervezas Por Favor. Yo Hablo Duolingo

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Finicums Wake posted:

they should have tours for communist foreigners where they show you cool stuff about the government. it would be propaganda, of course, but the good kind

there’s the Venceremos Brigades which seem cool but also I don’t want to spend my vacation working in sugar cane fields and bathing with a bucket

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
what about that space-age ice cream parlor, coppelia?

personally would want to visit the museums

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

indigi posted:

there’s the Venceremos Brigades which seem cool but also I don’t want to spend my vacation working in sugar cane fields and bathing with a bucket

in oaxaca i stayed in a lil artist flophouse and in a guesthouse on an autonomous commune, it was pretty neat. just gotta ask the stoners

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

Traveling 😂😂😂 and affording vacations 🤣🤣🤣 in a different country 🤪🤪🤪

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

Just show me the museum where they make fun of the bay of pigs guys and I’m good

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

Making fun of something in a mean way, and then embracing it unironically... FTW

Prince Myshkin
Jun 17, 2018

indigi posted:

In the absence of a communist party sending intellectuals down to the countryside, one must send oneself there.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Prince Myshkin posted:

In the absence of a communist party sending intellectuals down to the countryside, one must send oneself there.

pretty busy in the everglades rn

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Prince Myshkin posted:

what if I'm not an intellectual and I already live there. can I get an exchange program where I get to be comfortably middle class for a year or something

PERPETUAL IDIOT
Sep 12, 2003

Tricky D posted:

the dual currency system is over. go to cuba if you want to/can and tell me how it goes

EDIT: ↓↓↓↓↓ the classic car tour i took showed us all the cool revolutionary monuments in the gov plaza

For what it's worth the dual currency thing, when it was active, gave me no problem whatsoever. I was able to get plenty of CUP at the airport by first converting to CUC, then that to CUP. I paid for a few meals and coffee and stuff in CUP in the slightly less touristy parts of Havana, no questions asked. The only places it affected me were at the museums in the touristy part of downtown Havana, where non-residents had to pay in CUC (maybe 5 CUC) while residents would have been able to pay CUP, I think a 20-to-1 discount.

My other guess is since the exchange rates are pegged, if you were to go to a place with prices in CUP, you could probably pay CUC or even USD and just expect to get your change back in CUP.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/JoseMariaSison/status/1364310562235162624?s=19

man keeps picking a fight with WSWS

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

have any of these organizations that exist outside and separate from the PRC or the former USSR ever tried not having an opinion on them and just doing their own thing?

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

and, folks, is he wrong

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

quote:

that the CPP has given up Marxism-Leninism and has embraced Catholicism

good to see the CCP finally admitted the Dominicans were right in the Chinese rites controversy

animist
Aug 28, 2018

good for him

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

love it

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/dbessner/status/1364619471499968512?s=19