Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
Finished up a couple of transports for my Renegade Guard army.

Weathering was super fun. I want them to look like they've been traveling through a concrete strewn urban battlefield.

Here's a couple of my guardsmen to go with them.
Both the infantry and the transport were made with Anvil Industry STL files, which I modified and printed myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice
y'all I need some help - I simply cannot do eyes - I dont know if it's my brush, the lighting, or my own eyes but I am just making a mess of the faces of my beautiful ork kill team :(

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

The Demilich posted:

Here's another WIP

These IW look so rad. Always love seeing these pics as I work on my own bitter boys.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

the fart question posted:

y'all I need some help - I simply cannot do eyes - I dont know if it's my brush, the lighting, or my own eyes but I am just making a mess of the faces of my beautiful ork kill team :(

same, good advice is appreciated. I just skip doing them altogether.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
my tip for orc eyes: red

Paint the eyes first. You paint a tiny white line in the middle of the eye. then you put your brightest red washed into the space of the eye, it'll be thicker around the edges and thinner in the center from capillary action. Lean into the transparency of red paint to let the white show through. Then touch up any spilloverr with the skin color after.

Spanish Manlove fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Apr 4, 2022

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Spanish Manlove posted:

my tip for orc eyes: red

Paint the eyes first. You paint a tiny white line in the middle of the eye. then you put your brightest red washed into the space of the eye, it'll be thicker around the edges and thinner in the center from capillary action. Then touch up any spilloverr with the skin color after.

Yeah, there’s a weird thing where you see a lot of people, even in tutorial videos, so eyes at the end. Do the eyes first! They’re one of the most recessed parts of the mini and so it’s easier to clean up around them and not mess them up with later paint layers when you do them first.

I know some folks like to use super-fine point markers for the pupils of eyes. I’ve never tried that but it seems like a fair way to go to make that part easier.

DressCodeBlue
Jun 15, 2006

Professional zombie impersonator.
I'm not great with eyes, but what I do for human-sized minis is:
1. Do them before doing anything else on the face/head area. I learned this the hard way from ruining too many paint jobs.
2. Paint the entire eye and area slightly around it in your darkest shadow color you'll use on the face.
3. Paint over most of that with your sclera color (usually off white).
4. Add a vertical (usually) black line over each eye for the pupil.
5. Repeat steps 3-4 if they look wonky.
6. When you paint the rest of the face, bring in the flesh tone to cover up some of the original dark color to create the thin outline. Thicker if your mini is wearing makeup.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
This video is also how I learned how to paint eyes and it's been super awesome

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOoqOFfFwzw

Edit: you don't need to go this far with it for 28mm faces, but for human eyes I like to paint them the color I want the eye (blue, brown, etc) then put a small white dot in each edge and plop a pupil in the middle of the iris with a micron pen.

Spanish Manlove fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Apr 4, 2022

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Are these Ikea picture ledges? I used to use the same sorts of picture ledges for a long while, until I recently replaced them with the paint rack I posted earlier.

Yeah they're great. I have them just below eyeline so I can see everything at a glance without moving them out of the way.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Only used it a handful of times and already the seal on my moisture trap next to the airbrush isn't sealing correctly :destiny:

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Orks? Just use a the red contrast paint or maybe the orange. No one expects to see a pupil on an ork eye anyway, and if they're modelled with bulgy eyes (which GW orks sometimes are) the contrast will at least hint at being slightly lighter in the middle of the eyeball.

My big advice for human eyes is; Dont bother. Look at photos of people zoomed out so they are the same apparent distance as your figure. Can you clearly make out their pupils? I usually just chuck some extra wash in the eyesockets and call it a day. Thats how I do 99% of the humans I paint. If you gotta, like its a heroic scale face with wide open bulgy eyes and its going to look weird if you dont....

TotalHell posted:

super-fine point markers

Fine liner pens are the way to go. Paint the eyeball white (or just off white) then use a 0.1 or 0.05 mm fine liner pen to do your pupil. I got a set of all different sizes off've wish.com for peanuts, and theyre also super useful if you got a figure holding up a scroll or a book you want to do runes and sigils on, though for stuff like that I'd recommend a quick coat of gloss varnish first so the ink doesnt bleed into your paint. Not necessary for pupils though as you are using so little ink. Is it cheating? gently caress yes it is and it rules.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Make sure you keep those tiny details in perspective. We're all used to seeing tight close-ups of minis on the internet, which will expose the flaws of even a masters paintjob. In reality, even someone taking a close inspection of a mini will never see quite so close up as you will in a large pic.

With that in mind, one of the popular tricks is to just paint the eyes dark brown. It looks odd in a tight close-up, as seen below, but remember in reality you're likely to only ever see it like in the smaller pic above it. With the eyes painted dark brown, and maybe a quick swab of a dark pigment around the eye socket, it makes the eyes appear as if they are in shadow, giving your character a sinister appearance, which lends itself to just about any character from the WH universe. In a nutshell, don't sweat the small stuff. Taking a shortcut can often lend excellent results.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
I like how my green came out here but we tried the black and white photoshop trick to check the values and it confirmed my suspicion that the scheme is still a little flat. Yellow/Red helmets maybe? Something brighter and contrasty for the shoulder pads?

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
Get some orange in there imo

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Red & orange eye glow, with a little light reflection of it off its right pauldron. Maybe fluorescent?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Purple, or pink would be awesome as am ornamental color. You have purple in there on some of the shadows, maybe lean into it on some decorations. Or maybe go even brighter with the highlights on the blue, or maybe the green. Also the legs seem to have brighter highlights than the rest of the model. The shoulders, head, and tops of backpack should totally have brighter highlights as they're more noticeable and higher up than the knees

Personally I think it looks great but those are some neat things you could do.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Orange on the tentacles while keeping the blue as the shadow colour, adding some brighter yellow to highlight the lenses to make them pop more and yellow to highlight the already yellowy green highlights might get you there.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

SiKboy posted:

Fine liner pens are the way to go. Paint the eyeball white (or just off white) then use a 0.1 or 0.05 mm fine liner pen to do your pupil. I got a set of all different sizes off've wish.com for peanuts, and theyre also super useful if you got a figure holding up a scroll or a book you want to do runes and sigils on, though for stuff like that I'd recommend a quick coat of gloss varnish first so the ink doesnt bleed into your paint. Not necessary for pupils though as you are using so little ink. Is it cheating? gently caress yes it is and it rules.

Thank you, that’s exactly what I meant! I hadn’t done it personally so I wasn’t using the right terminology, but it does seem like a terrific way to go about things easily.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Thanks all. Yeah, somehow I managed to start a final highlight of yellow on the legs while playing with the pockmarks and just....forgot to continue. I think I do need to get those tentacles brighter too. I've been doing my antlers and spines as a purple-red-orange-yellow decaying bone glaze look, and I think this guy suffered a bit for not having prominent elements to share that effect. So for future guys maybe I try to get the fleshy tentacles and flab even brighter but shaded such that it looks sickly, maybe?

Orange eye lenses make sense too. I thought it would be fun to paint them pinkish like a Zaku eye lense but orange makes more sense.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

TotalHell posted:

Yeah, there’s a weird thing where you see a lot of people, even in tutorial videos, so eyes at the end. Do the eyes first! They’re one of the most recessed parts of the mini and so it’s easier to clean up around them and not mess them up with later paint layers when you do them first.

Some of the earliest painting advice I got was:

Paint the model inside out first. You'd do eyes very early in the process with this technique.

and

Finish the face before tackling the rest of the mini. This is for ~28mm character models, not wargaming units. The idea here is that with a finished face, it increases your motivation to get the rest of it finished. I mean, if the drat thing is looking at you, you'd finish it faster, right ?

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Beffer posted:

Are the barding and banners freehand? Because loving hell, that's amazing

yes, they are free hand! thank you!

10mm'lady

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Mostly paint Star Wars stuff but the store was low on stock so I picked up a box of NCR troopers on a whim. I really like the detail on the models but the material seems really flimsy

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I built this myself out of strips of mdf style board and wood glue and superglued L brackets I screwed into the wall. I thought it worked pretty good tbh

I actually have shelves like that which were build into the side of the stairs…I’m just a little afraid of my son getting them, but he’s been a lot better with paints and knowing not to touch stuff (mostly because I don’t want him to play with a tool that could hurt him)…also I’d prefer having it right above my workstation. Fumbling around for paints in a plastic tool kit is quite a pain, I’d love to have them in a way I can easily see the paint name and organize them.

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.

Marshal Prolapse posted:

I actually have shelves like that which were build into the side of the stairs…I’m just a little afraid of my son getting them, but he’s been a lot better with paints and knowing not to touch stuff (mostly because I don’t want him to play with a tool that could hurt him)…also I’d prefer having it right above my workstation. Fumbling around for paints in a plastic tool kit is quite a pain, I’d love to have them in a way I can easily see the paint name and organize them.

Best to teach him early how to knock over a full pot of nuln oil

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BaronVanAwesome posted:

Best to teach him early how to knock over a full pot of nuln oil

Check out my posts of his work from earlier in the thread. lol

Thankfully his issue wasn’t spilling it, just making a mess with it. I am happy he loves painting…even if the carpet has some Mcgragge Blue and Retributior Armor.

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Apr 5, 2022

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Unit of ye olde banshees done

40k xpost

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Finally got these guys done for Kill Team.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Paint storage talk. 3d printing is a really solid route to go if you have access to one. I'm really liking these but I'll probably modify things to stagger each row for labels.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

WIP. I really should use a real camera but my phone is just easier.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

The Demilich posted:

WIP. I really should use a real camera but my phone is just easier.

I love him; looks like he's in the middle of a months long bloody, muddy siege and just wants to get the killing done with. A perfect Iron Warrior.

Does Master Slowpoke still post here? I saw his Poxwalkers in the Goonhammer Death Guard article and wanted to replicate that bright, sickly blue some of his boys have.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

You might like these texture shots then:

Macro work always highlights fudged up spots, doubly so when it's done with a phone. I have a real camera with a 100mm 2.8L lens but I'm too drat lazy.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
What are the little hairy things on the first picture?

Also did you use a chipping medium on the second picture? Looks super authentic when zoomed in that far

I love the macro shots! You see mistakes, but I see new things to try

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

Spanish Manlove posted:

What are the little hairy things on the first picture?

Also did you use a chipping medium on the second picture? Looks super authentic when zoomed in that far

I love the macro shots! You see mistakes, but I see new things to try

The hairy things are static grass that's been glued to the base without a static applicator!
Basically for all my IW bases the theme I wanted was a hellblasted landscape that's been blown to kingdom come. Grass, concrete, rebar, asphalt, chunks of buildings, machines, and people, all of it blown apart and pooled up into beautiful dangerous mud.

I did use chipping medium, but only a few drops on the legs there. I tore away at the medium after building up a few layers with a scalpal and sharp tweezers.

I actually have a better example with a different dreadnought:

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
That's just aces. I'll have to learn from you when I get to my plague burst crawlers

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Does Master Slowpoke still post here? I saw his Poxwalkers in the Goonhammer Death Guard article and wanted to replicate that bright, sickly blue some of his boys have.

You're in luck. I'm no MSP, but his Poxwalker recipe is up on Goonhammer.

https://www.goonhammer.com/how-to-paint-everything-zombies-and-rotting-corpses/

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

Aranan posted:

You're in luck. I'm no MSP, but his Poxwalker recipe is up on Goonhammer.

https://www.goonhammer.com/how-to-paint-everything-zombies-and-rotting-corpses/

Rad. Thanks a bunch!

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I bought some more old school metal Scouts for when I’m done my Sternguard (which I’m enjoying the heck out of).

I know they are basically useless, but I’ve wanted them since I was 13!

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

I painted another Star Wars dude!

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Did an Ironskulls Boyz team for Warhammer Underworlds. Forgot how much I hate and despise painting yellow, and also if I'd thought ahead I'd have just undercoated white instead of my usual zenithal. Still, pleased with the final result.

Do you ever look at a figure and think "I know hes supposed to be fighting, but this guy is definitely dancing"? Me either. Unrelated, here is the Obsidian Statue for Malifaux

I gave him some gold embellishments because... Well I wanted to give it a bit of colour but he's literally an animated obsidian statue, and theres no getting away from the fact that obsidian is not a colourful mineral. And look at this big lug, hes so plainly going "I like to singa, about the moona and the springa and the junea" that I think he deserves some gold.

In a slight change of colour temperature, 3 December Acolytes (2e)

Based to match the rest of the keyword I painted like... 3 years ago probably? So glad I wrote down what I did for the snow.

A 2e Stitched Together (AKA Oogie Boogie from nightmare before Xmas)

Pandora and Iggy for a Pandora Woe Crew (both 2e, Iggy came from ebay with a flame missing, but I dont hate it, kind of looks like he's working up to igniting both hands)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Major Spag
Nov 4, 2012
Nu30k Xpost:

Major Spag posted:

I'm so hard for heresy that I also actually painted stuff:

And here is what the squad looks like so far: