Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Adderholt
Jul 1, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

CubanRefugee posted:

Where'd you get that mirror anyways? I have the same issue, the stock mirrors are too drat short, so all I see is my armpit. The long stadium style mirrors I think would just look too out of place for me.

I bought mine at my local scooter store, but scooterworks.com has the same kind in round and trapezoidal which is what I have.
In related news I'm going to get a sito+ exhaust installed on Friday :woop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paco de Suave
Sep 13, 2004
photographs of the best time you had
window smudged by the speed

I finally got my student aid check today and made the plunge and bought this beauty...a 2008 Yamaha C3

Rode her 35 miles home, it was wonderful...if a bit chilly. What are my best options for locking it up? I am keeping it in a locked garage at home, but sadly don't have that luxury at school. Is one of those large chains really going to do anything?

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Adderholt posted:

I bought mine at my local scooter store, but scooterworks.com has the same kind in round and trapezoidal which is what I have.

Oh, cool, the Sito+ makes a huge difference. I put on a Piaggio air filter (less restrictive than stock) at the same time, and between the two it really felt like a third more power. The dyno charts I've seen seem to agree.

Sounds like a popcorn machine at idle and a big angry bee in a tin can on revs, too, which is hilariawesome.

Paco de Suave posted:

I finally got my student aid check today and made the plunge and bought this beauty...a 2008 Yamaha C3

Rode her 35 miles home, it was wonderful...if a bit chilly. What are my best options for locking it up? I am keeping it in a locked garage at home, but sadly don't have that luxury at school. Is one of those large chains really going to do anything?

Get theft insurance, and hope for the best. A really big chain wrapped around a solid part of the scooter (like the floorboards, not the wheel) and attached to something really, really solid can help, but you won't always have something to chain to and it's a pain in the rear end to do it every time. I've never really bothered. If someone wants it, they're going to get it.

Grats on the purchase though! Those C3s are really good-looking scooters.

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

Ten million years of absolute power. That's what it takes to be really corrupt.
I figured this would be the place to post about this, but there is a guy in a town near me that seems to sell a lot of classic scooters. I can only assume that either he is charging to much for these things, or no one wants to invest that much in a scooter that isn't a classic Vespa.

The first one is a little to old school, but the second and third are pretty neat looking.

1940 Hiawatha - http://fresno.craigslist.org/mcy/2174768374.html

1946 Cushman - http://fresno.craigslist.org/mcy/2177270764.html

1957 Cushman - http://fresno.craigslist.org/mcy/2176139416.html

Adderholt
Jul 1, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Paco de Suave posted:

Congrats, I love the look of the C3s I just wish they came in a model larger than 50cc. GND is right about the theft stuff, if someone wants your scooter they're going to take it. The good news is that full coverage is something like $11 a month, where I am at least.

CubanRefugee
Jul 1, 2003

El Jefe
Reppin' the Row since '26.

Adderholt posted:

Wow, I don't know how in the hell I missed that on scooterworks, now I feel stupid!

GND: Would you recommend the Piaggio air filter over a de-blued stock air filter? I'm looking to get every bit of power out of my Stella. Right now, I top out at about 45mph, and I just don't feel any kind of 'oomph' in 4th gear at all.

In other news, had my first tire blowout while riding a motorcycle/scooter. Fortunately I was only going about 20, and I wasn't on any kind of major road, but scary all the same. I'll gladly change a tire on a scooter any day over a car, so incredibly easy.

CubanRefugee fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Feb 24, 2011

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

CubanRefugee posted:

Wow, I don't know how in the hell I missed that on scooterworks, now I feel stupid!

GND: Would you recommend the Piaggio air filter over a de-blued stock air filter? I'm looking to get every bit of power out of my Stella. Right now, I top out at about 45mph, and I just don't feel any kind of 'oomph' in 4th gear at all.

In other news, had my first tire blowout while riding a motorcycle/scooter. Fortunately I was only going about 20, and I wasn't on any kind of major road, but scary all the same. I'll gladly change a tire on a scooter any day over a car, so incredibly easy.

I think the Piaggio filter is freer flowing than a de-blued stock filter, but I'm not completely sure. I'm a couple hundred miles from my Stella right now or I'd go check them out.

Sito+/filter/rejet will definitely give you that oomph you're looking for, plus a few mph on the top end. My speedometer's never worked, though, so I can't say how much top end. I can accelerate in 4th on hills, though.

Sucks about the blowout! Any idea what caused it? And if it was on the Stella they are the easiest things to change - the split rims are wonderful. Haven't done it on tubeless rims, though.

Paco de Suave
Sep 13, 2004

The more and more I look at my scooter, the more I love it. I'd never seen one like it before I saw the ad on craigslist. Usually it's all Metropolitans and those awful Chinese things that don't even bother to list a brand on the ad here in Richmond.

Went and bought a helmet and a chain today at the local scooter store (which we have somehow...weird) and chatted it up with the owner who was rather nice. When I told her that I have a 2008 C3 she immediately said "Oh, the red one off craigslist? Oh. That might be awkward to ask." It was pretty funny. Apparently they check craigslist from time to time for known stolen scooters...she said they've gotten a handful back that way. Also went to GEICO and bought insurance...had to convince them that they did in fact cover scooters.

I have to admit, there is something I am a bit confused about. I've heard most people online say that they can get their C3's to go 35 on a flat stretch and maybe a tiny bit more downhill. I can peg the speedometer (I'm guessing ~43) without thinking about it on a flat stretch in a relatively short period of time. I messaged the previous owner asking him if he had derestricted it, even saying that I had planned on doing it myself and he insists that everything is stock. I dunno...I am relatively light at 155. Are these all just super goony scooter riders online? I feel stupid asking, but should I be worried something is wrong?

Adderholt
Jul 1, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Paco de Suave posted:

I have to admit, there is something I am a bit confused about. I've heard most people online say that they can get their C3's to go 35 on a flat stretch and maybe a tiny bit more downhill. I can peg the speedometer (I'm guessing ~43) without thinking about it on a flat stretch in a relatively short period of time. I messaged the previous owner asking him if he had derestricted it, even saying that I had planned on doing it myself and he insists that everything is stock. I dunno...I am relatively light at 155. Are these all just super goony scooter riders online? I feel stupid asking, but should I be worried something is wrong?
I wouldn't worry. In my experience the speedometer on any scooter is usually pretty optimistic, ie reading 45 mph when you're actually doing 40. So I'm thinking that you're probably somewhere near 35 if it's reading 43ish. Although it never hurts to be lighter when you're riding a scooter.

Adderholt fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Feb 24, 2011

CubanRefugee
Jul 1, 2003

El Jefe
Reppin' the Row since '26.

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

Sito+/filter/rejet will definitely give you that oomph you're looking for, plus a few mph on the top end. My speedometer's never worked, though, so I can't say how much top end. I can accelerate in 4th on hills, though.

Sucks about the blowout! Any idea what caused it? And if it was on the Stella they are the easiest things to change - the split rims are wonderful. Haven't done it on tubeless rims, though.

Yeah, I've actually already got a sito+ and was *going* to rejet, but the previous owner actually already upjetted to exactly what I was going to do. I do think I probably didn't do very well on the mix and idle screw adjustments after de-bluing the stock filter, so I may drop it off at a local shop here in the spring to have them tune it up for me. I'll definitely pick up the piaggio filter in the meantime though.

No clue what caused the tire blowout, but I did find a decent size puncture the ended up turning into a tear, so time for a new spare. I've always wanted whitewalls, but I worry about how hard they would be to keep clean.

Paco de Suave
Sep 13, 2004

Is it bad form if I buy two scooters in the same week? I am really tempted to offer $500 for this since it's been up for a month and fix it up. - http://richmond.craigslist.org/mcy/2188574189.html

Am I insane? Am I going to hate life trying to find parts for it? I want it so badly...especially since none of my friends have scooters and I'd love to have a spare for them to ride around with me in.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

Paco de Suave posted:

Is it bad form if I buy two scooters in the same week? I am really tempted to offer $500 for this since it's been up for a month and fix it up. - http://richmond.craigslist.org/mcy/2188574189.html

Am I insane? Am I going to hate life trying to find parts for it? I want it so badly...especially since none of my friends have scooters and I'd love to have a spare for them to ride around with me in.
Can't hurt to take a look, I'm not sure about part availability, but it seems like you can use sito pipes on it for instance, or that's what one post I've read somewhere said. I bet it's slow as dirt.

Not much out there about them, but here's one site:http://www.silverpigeon.org/

Circus Pies!
Feb 11, 2011

I thought you were getting me a pie shaped like a clown, instead you mangled my dick!
If you are in Nashville, TN we are going to be in the Mardi Gras parade on the 6th. More info here:

http://www.scootnashville.com/

I'll try to post some crappy phone pics.

Adderholt
Jul 1, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Circus Pies! posted:

If you are in Nashville, TN we are going to be in the Mardi Gras parade on the 6th. More info here:

http://www.scootnashville.com/

I'll try to post some crappy phone pics.
Any pics are good pics.

So i did this to my Stella, thoughts?

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Adderholt posted:

Any pics are good pics.

I dig it.

I've been considering getting a checkerboard vinyl wrap or maybe dazzle camo for my cowls.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
That diagonal checkerboard is sweet! Might look even better without the stella.

Adderholt
Jul 1, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Bucephalus posted:

That diagonal checkerboard is sweet! Might look even better without the stella.
:fry:
It's growing on me the more I look at it. Now all I need is a walt jabsco.

Circus Pies!
Feb 11, 2011

I thought you were getting me a pie shaped like a clown, instead you mangled my dick!

Adderholt posted:

Any pics are good pics.

Nice! I'm seriously considering painting my Rattler sparkle red and painting my helmet to match.

Dick Smegma
Oct 12, 2010

by T. Couchfucker
Is a 2008 honda metro with 2400 miles worth 1250?

Trident
Jun 18, 2004
We cook your meals, we drive your ambulances. We connect your calls, we guard you while you sleep. Do not... fuck with us.
If you like that model, that is a decent price for it. Having owned a Ruckus, I now know that 49cc's is not enough where I live, so I would personally not do it, but like I said, if you like that model, that's good.

Dick Smegma
Oct 12, 2010

by T. Couchfucker
Welp guys took the plunge and bought a 2005 kymco z50 for 900, only had 700 miles on it. Its needs a new battery, the blinkers do not blink and the horn is very faint, but starts up and runs fine.

Buyers remorse though. Oh well its just student loan money :(

Adderholt
Jul 1, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Chrome arrived today!

I am so in love with my scooter :fap:
Also the sito+ exhaust is unbelievably amazing. I can't recommend it highly enough, it's like a night and day difference over the stock one.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter
drat, Adderholt. Lookin' good.

But all that nice is ruined by the ugly grey spare cover. Take that thing off!

Adderholt
Jul 1, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

drat, Adderholt. Lookin' good.

But all that nice is ruined by the ugly grey spare cover. Take that thing off!
Thanks!
And it's funny you mentioned that, I was just looking at that picture thinking the same thing.

Edit: Now I'm not sure if I should leave the spare naked or get a white/black checkered cover, opinions needed :ohdear:

Adderholt fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Mar 3, 2011

Adderholt
Jul 1, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
quote does not equal edit

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter
Adderholt, I dunno what to tell ya, man. At the very least take it off for now, then decide!

BIG SCOOTER NEWS GUYS!!!!1

A scooter shop here in Seattle, Soundspeed Scooters, has apparently been selling electric conversion vintage Vespas for a while now.

Well, they've decided to step it up a notch. They've founded a scooter company, Fremont Motors (named for one of Seattle's neighborhoods, for those not familiar) and are unveiling their concept, FIDO, this Friday. Their website has this to say:

Fremont Motors posted:

50 years ago, scooters were built with real metal, could take some abuse, and an average joe could perform basic maintenance. We really want to bring that back. With Fido, we combined reliability, loyalty and a sense of style to do just that.

I'm really excited to see what they've come up with. I have a friend coming into town this weekend (drat timing!) but might be able to make it to the unveiling. Regardless, I'll be following this closely.

Also, Orin has word that 4-stroke Stella deliveries are "imminent." Hopefully! Speaking of Orin, he'll be at the Fido release, so check out Scootin' Old School for pics and info after Friday. I've met Orin, he's a nice guy with a great site.

In more Seattle-area specific news, someone has started an online community for Seattle-area scooterists. It's called Seattle Scooter Society.

Gay Nudist Dad fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Mar 3, 2011

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something

Adderholt posted:

it's like a night and day difference over the stock one.

Sweet scoot bro - are those passenger pegs on the floorboard?

Also, how hard is changing a flat with the spare?

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

hayden. posted:

Sweet scoot bro - are those passenger pegs on the floorboard?

Also, how hard is changing a flat with the spare?

With the Stellas (and vintage Vespas) the rim is separate from the hub, and the rims are split.

This is the best picture I have uploaded of it:

The nuts facing left on the rear rim remove the rim from the hub. Five bolts to remove it, identical in the front. 3 bolts to remove the spare rim/tire, and then bolt it to the hub.

To replace a tire or tube, you remove the rim from the hub, and then it's another five nuts (on the other side of the rim) to split the rim. Comes apart in two sections, down the middle. No tire levers required.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

drat that's baller, so is your sticker. Is this common in scooters or do Stellas just rock?

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

hayden. posted:

drat that's baller, so is your sticker. Is this common in scooters or do Stellas just rock?

It's not common in scooters anymore. The Stella's a repro of the Vespa PX150, a late 1970s design, and the split rim thing is common to vintage Vespas. I don't know if Lambrettas did it.

Certainly the Stella's the only bike on the (US) market now with split rims.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter
Sorry for double-post but the aforementioned Fremont Motors had their release tonight.

I did not make it to the release, but Orin of Scootin' Old Skool did.

His coverage is HERE, but below are some bullets:
-front and rear wheels are the same size, and easily removable
-hydraulic disk brakes on each wheel with easily swappable pads that require little to no adjustment
-battery under floorboard, easily removed, with wheels like luggage, to bring to your apartment/office for recharge
-removable underseat storage carries like a backpack
-30-35 miles on a charge
-target MSRP $5,000
-limited run in Q3 2012

This picture is from Scootin' Old Skool:

Click here for the full 640x480 image.

I think it's a really interesting concept. With the sparse design, it looks like it'd be super light when you removed the battery. Interesting lack of mention of top speed, but since all they had was a non-working design prototype they probably don't have drivetrain details worked out.

Really, an electric scooter should require virtually no maintenance. With an electric drivetrain, very little would fall out of adjustment or require upkeep - besides the batteries, which will simply wear out with time and need replacing. All that leaves is brakes and tires, and it sounds like they did consider ease of replacement in mind. Maybe they'll go for tubed tires with split rims like a Stella/vintage Vespa? Makes for extremely easy tire changes.

Q3 2012 is a long way away.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
I was hoping for something sexy like the mini E-scooter.

Adderholt
Jul 1, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

:words:
Top speeds supposed to be around 45mph. I just really don't know how to feel about the look of it. One cool thing about buying it is the sweet tax breaks for buying a zero emission vehicle.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Looks more like a Cushman than a Vespa, but I like it. $5k is too much for me to consider it though.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

If I'm going to deal with the hassle of an electric bike I'd probably go with this:

http://www.zeromotorcycles.com/zero-s/order.php

67MPH top speed, real world range of probably 45 miles. $10k though

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

hayden. posted:

If I'm going to deal with the hassle of an electric bike I'd probably go with this:

http://www.zeromotorcycles.com/zero-s/order.php

67MPH top speed, real world range of probably 45 miles. $10k though

Twice the price (theoretically) for a bit better range and top speed you may never use. The Zero XU has a removable battery pack so you can lug it upstairs to charge, but it doesn't have many/any advantages of the theoretical Fido other than a few miles per hour on the top end. It certainly doesn't have the inherent luggage capability, and it's a couple grand more expensive and much more difficult to maintain yourself.

For what this guy wants to target it does seem the Fido is going to hit the nail on the head. Urban apartment dwellers with urban commutes who lack a garage to charge or do maintenance in. This is a bike that can be parked on the street (provided you have good theft insurance) without an extension cord, and you can get your routine maintenance done before the parking fairies come by and ticket you for having an inoperable vehicle parked on city streets. There really isn't anything quite like it.

Circus Pies!
Feb 11, 2011

Well, I was going to be in that parade today but instead I spent all day trying to get my scooter to run. Apparently I didn't put any stable in the gas tank in the fall so when I tried to start it up for the first time this year it was just nasty. It was also pretty cold today so i don't feel too bad about missing out.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
I'm going to have a look at a (used) scooter dealership tomorrow. The scooter is going to be used by my parents to ride around the italian countryside, also up some big serpentine hills. I know the first post says differently, but 50ccm should manage to handle that with two people, 120 kilos on it, albeit not optimally, or is it a lovely idea? A 50 is way better than a 125 for tax and inspection and insurance and whatnot.

Here is the dealerships list (pardon their german)

Any thoughts on the ones offered? Anyones especially lovely or great?

Dick Smegma
Oct 12, 2010

by T. Couchfucker

niethan posted:

I'm going to have a look at a (used) scooter dealership tomorrow. The scooter is going to be used by my parents to ride around the italian countryside, also up some big serpentine hills. I know the first post says differently, but 50ccm should manage to handle that with two people, 120 kilos on it, albeit not optimally, or is it a lovely idea? A 50 is way better than a 125 for tax and inspection and insurance and whatnot.

Here is the dealerships list (pardon their german)

Any thoughts on the ones offered? Anyones especially lovely or great?

My 50 cc (kymco 50) struggles like hell to carry me and my wife (170+150.) It sucks down gas like no ones business. Better off with something of a higher cc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter
My 125 struggles with a passenger, too. You'd probably want a 250 or better for hilly 2-up riding, even at lower speeds.