Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

lightpole posted:

REO's are also still around if you have any basic endorsement and the relevant FCC license or whatever it takes. The one on my last ship got 2nds rate and 100 hours guaranteed OT a month. All anyone really wanted was for him to sit in his room and not touch anything but he insisted on sitting around, bugging the mates on the bridge for some reason.

What kind of ship was that? Never seen a real live sparky. The vast majority of deck officers have GMDSS licenses anyway, so that plus a shore based maintenance contract and equipment duplication and you're good to go. Cruise ship I was on had an electronic engineer, I don't know if he had a radio op license or what but he did fix our poo poo.

Plus anything that can't be done over the phone (Sat or cell), VHF or email is too much trouble to be worth doing.

In other news, this contract might stretch out a month (A MONTH!) longer than I thought. Gonna be rollin' in it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StopShootingMe
Jun 8, 2004

I can't believe I spent $5 on this title.
DP ships often have MEOs due to the power distribution system and electric motors. I guess any ship with a serious diesel electric system (propulsion or passenger ship hotel load) would need a MEO, right? Engineers correct me, please.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
Just a car carrier. He was extremely redundant and drove the mates crazy which is why they just wanted him to sit in his room and get paid a shitload to do nothing.

Ships are just required to have people with certain training or licenses on board. REO's are redundant because the mates have all the training and licenses needed. Generally true for engineers as well but everything is case specific.

Trench_Rat
Sep 19, 2006
Doing my duty for king and coutry since 86
for ships electricians in norway they are just regular electricians who take an exam module covering maritime instalations and then "apprentice" for 6 months onboard a ship.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Just wanted to say that I basically read the thread start to finish over the past few days, it was quite fascinating. My father always tried pushing me into maritime, although it was never my kind of thing. He's a marine biologist, and went on many research cruises/surveys. Have any of you had experience with that, other than ETMPlus?

Fish Shalami
Feb 6, 2005

What is shalami?

FrozenVent posted:

What kind of ship was that? Never seen a real live sparky. The vast majority of deck officers have GMDSS licenses anyway, so that plus a shore based maintenance contract and equipment duplication and you're good to go. Cruise ship I was on had an electronic engineer, I don't know if he had a radio op license or what but he did fix our poo poo.

Matson still has radio operators and unlicensed electricians.

On those LNG ships I was on we had an Automation Engineer and an Electrician. The automation engineer was pretty much god though.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Absurd Alhazred posted:

He's a marine biologist, and went on many research cruises/surveys. Have any of you had experience with that, other than ETMPlus?

I did a month as a deckhand on a research boat, but it was mostly just taking the thing out of drydock and supplying; the scientists only showed up two days before I left.

Fish Shalami posted:

Matson still has radio operators and unlicensed electricians.

On those LNG ships I was on we had an Automation Engineer and an Electrician. The automation engineer was pretty much god though.

I`m still weirded out by the concept of a real live radio op. I met one in a bar once, but he worked at a coast station...

('splaining time) The way the GMDSS (Global Maritime Distress and Signal System or something, AKA the radio / communication systems we use nowadays) regulation is written up you need two out of three options to ensure continuity. Usually it's duplication of equipment and a contract with a shore maintenance service, seeing as the third option, the radio tech, wants a pension fund.

Might not be a bad idea, we've had nav aids techs onboard here pretty much every time we hit a civilized port for the last month. You'd think they'd hire a guy full time to bounce around the fleet as needed or something, instead of paying like 600$+ every time we need a fuse changed.

One company here just created an Electronics Technician unlicensed position for the one ship that they just got that has tons of automated stuff. Don't know what that's gonna be like; sounds like a sweet job and it only pays like two bucks an hour less than a mate. Sure sounds a hell of a lot sweeter than having to bypass the entire automatic system until they can get a tech down from wherever.

Anybody got any good Christmas-on-a-boat story? I don't have anything, except the time someone borrowed the ship`s bell to announce Santa's arrival, or the time Halifax CG Radio decided to send everyone an ASCII Christmas tree over Sat-C, distress priority.

FrozenVent fucked around with this message at 05:51 on May 13, 2013

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
Tomorrow I will just do my morning routine from 0600-0730 and then take the rest of the day off and make around 500$ for weekend OT. Been stuck in port since 12/20 and will be here possibly through to '12.

potentiometer
Dec 31, 2006

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Just wanted to say that I basically read the thread start to finish over the past few days, it was quite fascinating. My father always tried pushing me into maritime, although it was never my kind of thing. He's a marine biologist, and went on many research cruises/surveys. Have any of you had experience with that, other than ETMPlus?

Sure, I used to operate (smallerish)/crew on research vessels, by far the most fun I ever had on boats. The scientists were just a hoot, their time onboard was something, as you might imagine, that they looked forward to not only the data aspect but the never ending practical jokes and general hilarity was a mainstay. One of the things I liked was the toys/instruments, rovs, computer labs, stuff thhese guys had to play with. Amazing! I suppose if I had it to do all over again id lean heavily towards degrees that enabled me to design, build, and pilot subsurface vehicles. the coolest of cool toys IMHO.

FrozenVent posted:

Anybody got any good Christmas-on-a-boat story? I don't have anything, except the time someone borrowed the ship`s bell to announce Santa's arrival, or the time Halifax CG Radio decided to send everyone an ASCII Christmas tree over Sat-C, distress priority.

Does thieving a pallet of beer out of cargo, Rainier half racks, 55 of em, rate? We made a chain out of the pull tabs that criss crossed the overhead in our stateroom 3 times! Learned how to spray beer out my nose while shotgunning, fun times. Christmas trip

potentiometer fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Dec 25, 2011

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
Santa hung stockings off the ME for us. I got a mini led flashlight, a tractor, a bouncy ball and a ball in a cup, I am totally stoked!

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

lightpole posted:

Santa hung stockings off the ME for us. I got a mini led flashlight, a tractor, a bouncy ball and a ball in a cup, I am totally stoked!

Dude that's awesome! I wish I had a ball in a cup! (DVD player on my laptop died, I gotta stay entertained somehow)

How long before one of those bouncy balls get thrown into the E/R at full force?

The charterer sent us a bunch of DVDs and video games; we have the coolest charterer ever.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I don't know but there is a lot of potential for trouble. Luckily we aren't going anywhere in a hurry. We were thinking about moving today but that's not happening. We have to move by Tuesday since the berth is kicking us out for repairs but I'm not sure where to.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

It`s your duty to release one of those balls at full force into the largest enclosed space you can find onboard. I'm dropping one in an empty cargo hold next chance I get.

Did you guys bust a shaft or something?

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
Just chillin'. We were supposed to shift to anchorage and bunker two days ago then shift again to a different berth to discharge and load but shoreside has been extremely slow and there is a barge sitting in the next berth we are waiting for. We are maybe moving tomorrow for really real this time which means 50/50.

StopShootingMe
Jun 8, 2004

This is weird. I just joined an FPSO off the NW Australian coast, it's my first time on this sort of ship. I'm not called the Chief Mate, instead it's POT S&O (Production Operations Technician Storage and Offtake), the marine department doesn't run the show, the Captain and I spent the day on deck changing an I.G. valve, nobody is allowed on the bridge (including myself, I think) and the safety culture is bananas.

I am not allowed to carry a deck knife until I complete a module of computer based training. And really I'm not even allowed to carry one then because I'm not a rating/OS/AB (they're not called that, they're called General Operations somethings).

But they're paying me $1200 a day so I'll just keep my opinions to myself.

pazrs
Mar 27, 2005

StopShootingMe posted:

This is weird. I just joined an FPSO off the NW Australian coast, it's my first time on this sort of ship. I'm not called the Chief Mate, instead it's POT S&O (Production Operations Technician Storage and Offtake), the marine department doesn't run the show, the Captain and I spent the day on deck changing an I.G. valve, nobody is allowed on the bridge (including myself, I think) and the safety culture is bananas.

I am not allowed to carry a deck knife until I complete a module of computer based training. And really I'm not even allowed to carry one then because I'm not a rating/OS/AB (they're not called that, they're called General Operations somethings).

But they're paying me $1200 a day so I'll just keep my opinions to myself.

I actually like the way we do things here in Australia. Yes sometimes the HSE (Health, Safety and Environment) Procedures are over the top, but we have some of the lowest LTI (Lost time injury) rates in the world of Oil/Gas.

The Old Man is not in charge overall, the OIM (Offshore Installation Manager) is. Also becuase they aren't steaming, you get a 50% reduction in recorded time served at sea. So they suck for cadets.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

So if some guy came wandering out of his school with a shiny new MEC3 in his hand, would he be able to get a job on one of these? I have heard good things about the money.

StopShootingMe
Jun 8, 2004

Not sure about ginger beers, can't hurt to apply with the main operators. You're a kiwi, yeah? Or was that another guy?

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
loving Watchkeeper and STCW rules are loving me. I am perfectly capable of working every second of OT I can possibly have. If you want to knock me off do it on straight time, not a holiday Sunday when the mates can't make up their mind on when we sail and change it from 2000 to 0600 and in between every ten minutes.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Rest hours can be frustrating, but having been in situations... I can appreciate them. 16 hours a day for a month straight or 8 on, 4 off, 8 on for three days...

It's that damned six hour block that's a pain in the rear end, especially when you have to manage five deckhands who will happily work overtime, then come up and go "Welp, got my hours in! Good night!" half an hour into their regular watch, leaving you with no one on deck to ballast and poo poo.

It's especially amusing when the other mate neglect to tell you "Oh yeah, we called so and so at stupid o'clock, so be sure to knock him off at 0200!" Or, my favorite, "Are you sure you want us to bolt down this manhole before we knock off? We gotta be up for tie up tomorrow!"

A) It's a ten minute job
B) We're underway in a goddamn gale warning, bolt the loving manhole
C) We are not tying up tomorrow, and even if we are it's in at least ten hours.

I got a bad case of the holiday blues.

FrozenVent fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Aug 8, 2014

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

FrozenVent posted:

"Are you sure you want us to bolt down this manhole before we knock off? We gotta be up for tie up tomorrow!"

Aahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha heard that one so many times

StopShootingMe posted:

Not sure about ginger beers, can't hurt to apply with the main operators. You're a kiwi, yeah? Or was that another guy?

Yeah, I'm a Kiwi.

Format C
Jul 26, 2007
Any thoughts on this program? http://seattlecentral.edu/programs/marineengineering/ It looks to be one year + plus seatime, and through a community college, but would the certification and time be a decent start for engineering?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Format C posted:

Any thoughts on this program? http://seattlecentral.edu/programs/marineengineering/ It looks to be one year + plus seatime, and through a community college, but would the certification and time be a decent start for engineering?

Edit: removed first impression stuff that was wrong.

It can't hurt, mind you. Internships get your name out there and all. How expensive is the program?

Edit: reading a bit further we find this

quote:

Seattle Maritime Academy is offering the Marine Engineering Technology curriculum as a 73-77-credit program. Students successfully completing this rigorous program will be awarded a certificate in Marine Engineering Technology from Seattle Central Community College. In addition, they will be eligible for a U.S. Merchant Mariners Document endorsed with the following engine room (QMED) ratings: Electrician; Oiler; Pumpman; Refrigerating Engineer; and Junior Engineer. If the student's at-sea internship was on a vessel with steam propulsion, he/she will also be eligible for a "fireman/watertender" QMED rating. Furthermore, graduates receive 8 months sea service credit towards a license as Designated Duty Engineer of Steam or Motor Vessels of Not More Than 1,000 Horsepower. This sea service credit is 2/3 of the total required sea service for this license.

As long as you understand the limitation of the certifications the program leads to, it seems ok to me. Oilers an alright job if you don't mind working downstairs.

FrozenVent fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Jan 6, 2012

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Yeah, it's a limited ticket. Similar to what I have but limits you to a rated power. As long as you are well aware of that, you are ok.
If you are looking for career/employment, you really want to get a ticket with unlimited.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Pipe broke, now my entire deck smells like ew. Too cold to open a window.

In other news, the other watch managed to overflow a ballast tank, at something like -20C out. The guys were out with the shovels and wooden hammers all day long. (Ok most of that was freezing spray)

Oh and I think I ran over a seal today. Fuckers are the laziest thing about, they won't move until the boat is like twenty feet away, if that.

Edit: the point of this post is to illustrate the utter boredom of this lifestyle. I got a month to go, why did I ever pick this job?

FrozenVent fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Jan 8, 2012

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

FrozenVent posted:

Pipe broke, now my entire deck smells like ew. Too cold to open a window.

In other news, the other watch managed to overflow a ballast tank, at something like -20C out. The guys were out with the shovels and wooden hammers all day long. (Ok most of that was freezing spray)

Oh and I think I ran over a seal today. Fuckers are the laziest thing about, they won't move until the boat is like twenty feet away, if that.

Edit: the point of this post is to illustrate the utter boredom of this lifestyle. I got a month to go, why did I ever pick this job?

I have around 34 days to go. We are going to get in to port 5 days before I can get off without quitting and then head north where it has been especially nasty. Furthermore I took an 11.7% pay cut on 1/1 for pension reasons.

Fish Salami got out just in time.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

lightpole posted:

Fish Salami got out just in time.

Whenever you get out, you get out just before it gets worst.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

FrozenVent posted:

Whenever you get out, you get out just before it gets worst.

OP90 or Solas work hours with an 11 hour work day cuts a further $2700+ off the paycheck, on top of the $5500 or so 11.7%.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

They're capping you guys at 11 hours? I heard the new rule was going to be 14, no idea how they'll manage that, 11 is just impossible.

What was the paycut about? New contract?

localized
Mar 30, 2008
What do you engineers use for hearing protection in the engine room? I need to pick up a headset for my training cruise this spring, so any input would be much obliged.

StopShootingMe
Jun 8, 2004

They should really be issuing you with all your PPE, right?

localized
Mar 30, 2008

StopShootingMe posted:

They should really be issuing you with all your PPE, right?

They should, yes, but do they? Nope. The school will gladly sell it to you, but I'm just curious as to what people prefer or what to avoid.

localized fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Jan 11, 2012

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I hate the yellow disposable earplugs most ships have and grab some of my own. Earmuffs usually have better dB ratings but they make my ears sweaty. Im trading my hearing for non sweaty ears basically. Make sure to check the rating on whatever you get.

I don't know what the work hours are going to Im just ready to go home.

The union is taking 11.7% off the top to recapitalize the pension and rolling benefit multipliers back to 1955 levels. The companies haven't paid into the pension since 1986 and the union says that we have gotten much larger than normal wage and benefit increases instead. Of course these increased wages and benefits just disappeared and any contracts that were negotiated on pension increases instead of wage increases wont even be mentioned. We are getting hosed coming and going. I need to go home.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

lightpole posted:

The union is taking 11.7% off the top to recapitalize the pension and rolling benefit multipliers back to 1955 levels. The companies haven't paid into the pension since 1986 and the union says that we have gotten much larger than normal wage and benefit increases instead. Of course these increased wages and benefits just disappeared and any contracts that were negotiated on pension increases instead of wage increases wont even be mentioned. We are getting hosed coming and going. I need to go home.

I've read a few years ago about this big merchant marine strike in Israel in 1951 over pay, conditions, etc. It was very personally and professionally expensive for a few of the so-called ringleaders, but they did get better terms overall. I'm sure there were a lot of these occurrences internationally, as well, before and after that. So I'm wondering why actual labor activity, as opposed to just union membership, isn't being brought up among you guys. Is it that it's just no longer part of the culture?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

It still happens, but I think in lightpole's case it's the union screwing the members.

We had the mates and engineer of a smallish tanker company go on strike last month; it didn't even slow them down - they managed to find an handfull of scabs, staffed the rest of the berths with captains and chief.

Another company got to the brink of strike, but the company came back with "here's twenty dollars more a year for boots, and we'll grandfather the travel reimbursement plan you guys got. Final offer." The words final offer scared the membership into accepting.

TL;DR People are scared of missing work/consequences so they take whatever the company gives. Even though they couldn't find enough people to scab a decent sized company nowadays.

I don't know if it'll get better or worst when the old guard leaves, but by the time they're all one there won't be any first world people left in this business anymore.

pazrs
Mar 27, 2005

localized posted:

What do you engineers use for hearing protection in the engine room? I need to pick up a headset for my training cruise this spring, so any input would be much obliged.

I love my Howard Leight L2N's. They are class five and really comfy. The neckband is better then the over the head type I find.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

FrozenVent posted:

It still happens, but I think in lightpole's case it's the union screwing the members.

We had the mates and engineer of a smallish tanker company go on strike last month; it didn't even slow them down - they managed to find an handfull of scabs, staffed the rest of the berths with captains and chief.

Another company got to the brink of strike, but the company came back with "here's twenty dollars more a year for boots, and we'll grandfather the travel reimbursement plan you guys got. Final offer." The words final offer scared the membership into accepting.

TL;DR People are scared of missing work/consequences so they take whatever the company gives. Even though they couldn't find enough people to scab a decent sized company nowadays.

I don't know if it'll get better or worst when the old guard leaves, but by the time they're all one there won't be any first world people left in this business anymore.

The Israeli strike was against the union. It was somewhat worse than what you guys have because the Israeli Union Federation also owned the shipping company, so you had union bosses who were also on the board of directors of the company. Conflict of interest much? Anyway, I mean, it's always the risk with strikes, losing your job, being blacklisted, all terrifying. Still, if they think 3rd-Worlders are complacent, they haven't been paying attention. Labor unrest is on the rise throughout. They're going to have a rude awakening at some point.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

This is not supposed to happen with something built in 2006.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

This is not supposed to happen with something built in 2006.

It's not supposed to happen period. As to how exactly it happened, we won't know until the investigation report comes out - regular media can't tell port from aft.

Did they black out before of after the striking? Anybody know?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crackpipe
Jul 9, 2001

Someone at Lloyds just opened a very, very large bottle of scotch at his desk.

• Locked thread