Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Hm, what abuse is that? Do they just have a higher gold cap, or will they actually pay more?

I wish I could put appraise on someone else but internet googles says it only works off the MC in vanilla.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Rascyc posted:

Hm, what abuse is that? Do they just have a higher gold cap, or will they actually pay more?

I wish I could put appraise on someone else but internet googles says it only works off the MC in vanilla.

Sand/The Elemental have a low appraise score and typically will pay more for stuff. (There are a handful of other merchants that do this as well, IIRC. I think maybe the dwarf in Chapter 3?)

Jive One
Sep 11, 2001

Just picked up this series from GoG and had a few questions about NWN2. First am I right in assuming that really heavy armor will actually negate a high dexterity in terms of armor class bonus? So having enough dex for a +5 bonus isn't necessary if you plan on using armor with a max dex bonus of +3?

Second, I have plenty of experience with the Infinity engine games but 3.5 edition is completely new to me. I'm a bit overwhelmed by the sheer options for character building, however it seems that a wide variety of approaches will work and I can always consult build guides and such. However if I use common sense and try to build my character on my own should I be ok?

Last a technical question. I'm playing this on a laptop with dual 1.5ghz Celeron processors and a relatively good Intel HD integrated card. It runs ok but there's a slight choppiness when characters turn and during screen scrolling, almost as if it was an animation issue. I have shadows and water effects off but anything else I can do? I'm actually amazed it runs as well as it does on my system.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Jive One posted:

Just picked up this series from GoG and had a few questions about NWN2. First am I right in assuming that really heavy armor will actually negate a high dexterity in terms of armor class bonus? So having enough dex for a +5 bonus isn't necessary if you plan on using armor with a max dex bonus of +3?

Yes, but keep in mind that Mithril versions of armor have significantly higher max Dex bonus. Optimal is a +5 Dex bonus in Light armor or a +3 in Medium armor. (There's no reason to use heavy once you can get Mithril full plate.) Also, remember that Dex is useful for other things which are not capped, and that +4/6/8 Dex items are readily available (though you'll have to choose between Dex or Str unless you have high UMD)

quote:

Second, I have plenty of experience with the Infinity engine games but 3.5 edition is completely new to me. I'm a bit overwhelmed by the sheer options for character building, however it seems that a wide variety of approaches will work and I can always consult build guides and such. However if I use common sense and try to build my character on my own should I be ok?

Yes, because NWN2 is an easy game. That said, there are some trap feats that just don't work at all (Expert Tactician), others that just sound much better than they are (all Cleave feats beyond normal Cleave, Circle Kick), and some that are much much better than they seem at first glance (Blind Fight is basically required for anyone that rolls to-hit - or would be if the game were harder.)

One of these days I'll write up a list of Notably better or worse than they seem Feats.

One of these days.

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

CaptainPsyko posted:

(Expert Tactician), others that just sound much better than they are (all Cleave feats beyond normal Cleave, Circle Kick)
Eh, Supreme Cleave from the Frenzied Berserker prestige class is pretty hilarious in the OC. Get a killing blow and everything around you pretty much explodes in pain and death once you've got a decent 2-handed weapon.

Not quite as useful when fighting only a few strong opponents, but that's not the name of the game in most of the OC.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Random Hajile posted:

Eh, Supreme Cleave from the Frenzied Berserker prestige class is pretty hilarious in the OC. Get a killing blow and everything around you pretty much explodes in pain and death once you've got a decent 2-handed weapon.

Not quite as useful when fighting only a few strong opponents, but that's not the name of the game in most of the OC.

I'm not talking about Supreme Cleave, which is a class feature and doesn't share the same issues - it's just regular Cleave, but strictly better. Great Cleave, on the other hand, is poo poo and aside from using it to unlock FB, should never be taken, because you just aren't going to one shot that many enemies. (Or even two-shot for that matter, though once you account for iteratives, things still die very very fast, so whatever.)

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
Particularly worth noting with NWN2 no longer on Steam, but a fair few more people now own NWN2 Complete than a few days ago thanks to that bananas GOG promotion.

CaptainPsyko posted:

One of these days I'll write up a list of Notably better or worse than they seem Feats.

One of these days.

I'd buy a copy.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

CaptainPsyko posted:

One of these days.

Please do this. I want to know in particular what to never waste my time investing in, and which are the absolute must haves.

Quantumfate
Feb 17, 2009

Angered & displeased, he went to the Blessed One and, on arrival, insulted & cursed him with rude, harsh words.

When this was said, the Blessed One said to him:

"Motherfucker I will -end- you"

Exams are over for now and I think I want to fry my brain by giving nwn1 some time. I mostly played multiplayer and HOTU; I've heard bad things about the OC and it never really caught my fancy- I usually get around the prison and peter out. But SoU grabbed me at the start and seems to have more endearing characters- Should I run through the OC, does it pick up and become worth it? What about SoU? Premium Modules? Wyvern crown of cormyr and pirates of the sword coast both look like fun for me, any others?

Also- are there any mods I can throw into the campaigns to give myself more character options/prestige classes/the like? What about ways around the atrocious looking armor in the OC? (though I guess I can deal with that). As a side note: I installed the heads from the CEP pack to give myself more customization options, but half of them are metallic, is there a fix for that?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
There was a cool Psionics mod for NWN1, but I have no idea if it works with SP.

Kaiser Schlacht
Nov 18, 2013
How important is strength for a dexterity based character? Currently running a Rogue / Monk / Shadowdancer and my friends say I did a horrible mistake increasing my strength by 1 when I had the chance... After that I have put all of my points into dex. In any case, is using a gear with +x strength useful or a waste? Right now I have a +3 strength belt but I have a feeling I should use something else.

Also, undeads are a pain since I am sneak based. How do I deal with them without being completely useless? I tried using a sling (my character has very low Will so I get frightened all the time if I'm melee) with some bludgeoning bullets but even that is pretty lame.

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

Kaiser Schlacht posted:

How important is strength for a dexterity based character? Currently running a Rogue / Monk / Shadowdancer and my friends say I did a horrible mistake increasing my strength by 1 when I had the chance... After that I have put all of my points into dex. In any case, is using a gear with +x strength useful or a waste? Right now I have a +3 strength belt but I have a feeling I should use something else.

Also, undeads are a pain since I am sneak based. How do I deal with them without being completely useless? I tried using a sling (my character has very low Will so I get frightened all the time if I'm melee) with some bludgeoning bullets but even that is pretty lame.

Strength still adds to damage for dexterity-based characters in most cases, as long as you have enough to boost your STR modifier. Every 2 points in STR adds another point to the modifier. If your build is heavily sneak attack damage-based, it won't help a lot, but it's there. The issue is that putting a point in strength will make it take that much longer to qualify for higher-end dexterity-based feats.

As for undead, there's a feat that lets you apply half sneak-attack damage to things that would otherwise be immune, but I think it's an epic level feat, so it'll be a while before you qualify. Until then, you need to be satisfied with piddling damage. Using the right damage type will help a little bit.

For skeletons, you want bludgeoning. Depending on how many monk levels you have, your fists might be better than anything else in that category. For zombies, you want slashing, so kamas, axes, or swords other than shortswords or rapiers.

Depending on how far you are, your party spellcasters might have something that keeps you from making GBS threads your pants and running away in fear as often, too.

Random Hajile fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Nov 19, 2013

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Kaiser Schlacht posted:

Your biggest mistake is probably making a multiclass character without meticulously planning out your build ahead of time, consulting optimization forums and various min/maxing wikis to get the best Dee-Pee-Ess possible.

Or just don't worry about it, I guess. You can just fix whatever leveling mistakes you make via the console, and give yourself the Epic Precision feat while you're at it to solve the issue with Sneak Attack being useless.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Hm. The NWN2 toolset has suddenly decided that it loving hates me. I've been using it to make roll20 maps, but I opened it up the other day, found that it had reverted to the default 800x600 resolution, and now any attempt to lay down a tile or placeable object grinds the whole drat thing to a halt.

Delerion
Sep 8, 2008

unf unf unf

Quantumfate posted:

Exams are over for now and I think I want to fry my brain by giving nwn1 some time. I mostly played multiplayer and HOTU; I've heard bad things about the OC and it never really caught my fancy- I usually get around the prison and peter out. But SoU grabbed me at the start and seems to have more endearing characters- Should I run through the OC, does it pick up and become worth it? What about SoU? Premium Modules? Wyvern crown of cormyr and pirates of the sword coast both look like fun for me, any others?

Also- are there any mods I can throw into the campaigns to give myself more character options/prestige classes/the like? What about ways around the atrocious looking armor in the OC? (though I guess I can deal with that). As a side note: I installed the heads from the CEP pack to give myself more customization options, but half of them are metallic, is there a fix for that?

The PRC pack for NWN 1 adds 150 new player classes, 150 new races, 1000 new spells and psionics among other stuff, more stuff than you'll ever have time to play. It's fully compatible with NWN OC and expansions.

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Hakpaks.Detail&id=7870

Delerion fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Nov 20, 2013

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Is there an a) easy or b) well documented way to respec/change your character in the middle of the single player campaign?

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Okay, so apparently I can still use the NWN2 toolset...

... but only to put down trees. Any other environmental object or tile? No, and gently caress you for trying. God dammit.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Hannibal Rex posted:

Is there an a) easy or b) well documented way to respec/change your character in the middle of the single player campaign?

You gotta use the console to reset your character back to level 1. Hit whichever button is the ~ symbol on your keyboard. You can't change the original class, and I'm not sure but I think you'll reset your whole party.

When you're level 1 again, just give yourself however much XP you had before and relevel.

The commands are resetlevels and givexp followed by the amount of XP you want.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Quantumfate posted:

Some poo poo about SP

Hey Quantum, dunno if you'll read this in time, or maybe milosh's player will, but we've got a pirate crew event about to start on Cormyr in the next 30-45 min or so (9:30ish PM EST) and Milosh is part of the crew, so it'd be cool if he was there for it. Let him know!

TehGherkin
May 24, 2008
I seem to have encountered a rather strange occurence in my latest NWN2 campaign, I can't remember if it's supposed to happen or did in earlier run throughs.

In certain areas, I get extra party members for almost no reason, for example when you go to rescue Shandra from Zeeaire, everyone but Casavir turned up in the dungeon with me, and just now the first time you go to Crossroads Keep, when I picked up the book of golemancy, Grobnar popped up, making us six. Then when I got rid of the arcane brotherhood guys at the door, Bishop turned up out of nowhere.

Also, thanks a lot for the easy modpack in the OP, really appreciate it.

Kaiser Schlacht
Nov 18, 2013
How long does it take to finish the NWN1 expansions assuming I have a lvl 14 character ready?

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

Kaiser Schlacht posted:

How long does it take to finish the NWN1 expansions assuming I have a lvl 14 character ready?

Exactly 3 hours, 27 minutes, 13 seconds. :cheeky:

Don't start Shadows of Undrentide with a level 14 character. The story isn't so pants-shittingly awesome that it's worth doing ezmode with an overpowered toon just for the story. Start SoU with a fresh level 1 character, and then continue into Hordes of the Underdark around level 15-ish.

TehGherkin
May 24, 2008
Is there any way to change how many hands you're using to wield a weapon? My duellist insists on using that longsword with both hands, even though I need to use it with one and no offhand weapon or shield to get my precise strike bonus.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

According to the wiki it should still work. No idea if it actually does in game, sorry.

quote:

Precise Strike

At 5th level, the duelist gains the ability to strike precisely with a piercing weapon, gaining 1d6 piercing damage. This damage is not multiplied on a critical hit. This damage is applied to enemies who are immune to critical hits. Precise Strike does not work when the duelist has an off-hand weapon or shield equipped, but it does work with two-handed weapons. At 10th level, the damage increases to 2d6. The damage from Precise Strike is automatically applied.

TehGherkin
May 24, 2008
Nope, it's automatically disabled anytime I equip anything two-handed. The annoying thing about it is it's a one handed weapon, just a basic longsword, but he'll only hold it one handed if I dual-wield it or use a shield - negating precise strike anyway.

It's nerfing my damage by 2d6 and doing my head in, I'd go back to using my rapier but the weapon has immunity to death magic, which is kind of important for the solo bit at Castle Never (save vs death, fail, game over.)

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

TehGherkin posted:

Nope, it's automatically disabled anytime I equip anything two-handed. The annoying thing about it is it's a one handed weapon, just a basic longsword, but he'll only hold it one handed if I dual-wield it or use a shield - negating precise strike anyway.

It's nerfing my damage by 2d6 and doing my head in, I'd go back to using my rapier but the weapon has immunity to death magic, which is kind of important for the solo bit at Castle Never (save vs death, fail, game over.)

Precise Strike also doesn't work on Crit Immunes, which the vampires and shades in castle never definitely are - are you sure that isn't the problem?

Edit: also, isn't Precise Strike piercing weapons only? A long sword is slashing.

Chevy Slyme fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Dec 3, 2013

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Edit: I'm wrong

Smol fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Dec 3, 2013

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Yeah, Precise Strike is only with rapiers, short swords, or daggers. Use the right weapon, buddy.

Aratoeldar
Mar 21, 2005

Brave New World posted:

Don't start Shadows of Undrentide with a level 14 character. The story isn't so pants-shittingly awesome that it's worth doing ezmode with an overpowered toon just for the story. Start SoU with a fresh level 1 character, and then continue into Hordes of the Underdark around level 15-ish.

This is my favorite SoU to HotU bridge module winner.

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Modules.Detail&id=3738

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
For anyone getting back into Neverwinter Nights 2 using the modpacks provided in the Op (thanks for that by the way!) I'd just want to caution against using the Plot Fixes mod. Disregarding the fact that it seems to be mostly the original modders personal preferences, it also makes some frankly game-breaking changes like unflagging immortality on the act 2 boss making it so that the ending cutscene never happens effectively stopping all progress. Removing that mod and playing through the area from the start fixed it for me, at least.

Mecheon
Nov 27, 2007

And that was when Ecco realised the world just fucking hates dolphins.
Dunno if anyone's still all that concerned in the modding side of things for NWN1 around here, but I've a bit of history in it and the making of all sorts of bullshit custom stuff

Still warms my heart there's a modding community around for this game 10 years later :unsmith: (Although the CEP is kind of dead at the moment)

TehGherkin
May 24, 2008

Fuzz posted:

Yeah, Precise Strike is only with rapiers, short swords, or daggers. Use the right weapon, buddy.

Thanks, but you were kinda late to the party there, buddy.

Also I'm amazed that I never finished Mask of the Betrayer, it owns. Apart from all the sneak attack immunities.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Yeah NWN2 hates sneak attacks with a passion.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

On the Cormyr front, the pirate crew finally has its ship! Should go in in the next couple weeks, and apparently they have a big rollout coming which will double the size of the aboveground playable area and adds a whole shitload of new quests. They also tweaked the existing quests so they're all weeklies now and have bigger payouts, so leveling up has become pretty painless, it's just a matter of putting in the time and RP and stuff.

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010
Have there been any good single player modules released for either Neverwinter Nights in the past 2 years? Or is that scene pretty much dead?

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
I've heard good things about Path of Evil for NWN2, but never gotten around to checking it out. Someone else also rebuilt the entire BG1 campaign as an NWN2 mod and did a lovely job of it.

Even that one is still 3 years old (though still being updated as recently as yesterday!), so yeah, the scene's mostly dead.

Chevy Slyme fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Dec 21, 2013

Mygna
Sep 12, 2011
The only relatively new NWN module I can honestly recommend is Chapter 2 of Swordflight. The first chapter was good, if nothing special, but the second is one of the best modules I've ever played, up there with Aielund in my opinion. Chapter 3 is also still being actively developed, wich is always a plus.

quote:

I've heard good things about Path of Evil for NWN2, but never gotten around to checking it out. Someone else also rebuilt the entire BG1 campaign as an NWN2 mod and did a lovely job of it.

Even that one is still 3 years old (though still being updated as recently as yesterday!), so yeah, the scene's mostly dead.

I've tried several times to start Path of Evil, but the writing is honestly so bad and the story so directionless that I always give up after a while, even though I like the idea of an evil campaign.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Brave New World posted:

It might be worth it to cheat in some kind of auto-haste gear though; there's way too much running back and forth across huge-rear end regions in that module.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.
So people have been badgering at me to play NWN2 for a while and I finally said gently caress it. What mods are good for a first playthrough? Also tips for someone who only has a cursory understanding of how DnD works (I cheated my way through NWN1 way back when :v:).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

So people have been badgering at me to play NWN2 for a while and I finally said gently caress it. What mods are good for a first playthrough? Also tips for someone who only has a cursory understanding of how DnD works (I cheated my way through NWN1 way back when :v:).

You don't need any mods for a first play through, though there are a few UI and AI mods in the OP that some people like. I find they're more trouble than they're worth though. STAY AWAY AT ALL COSTS for the various so called "plot fixes" or "fixes to plot fixes". Also, you can either use a mod or just a console command, but in Mask of the Betrayer, (the first expansion), increase the max party size by 1 to bring all 4 NPCs with you.

As for DnD stuff, read the OP.

• Locked thread