Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!

Nanomashoes posted:

LoS really front-loads its terribleness, but the ending where Gabriel goes SSJ and has a fight with naked Satan is amazing. You're crazy.

My complaint is really with the cheesy dialogue during the Satan fight that affirms Gabriel will never turn against God and become evil, immediately followed by the ending where we find out Gabriel appears to have turned against God and become evil. It makes sense after the DLC, but if they'd shown Gabriel's faith to be faltering after beating Satan and losing Marie they wouldn't have needed the dumb DLC ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Calaveron posted:

Hey is this a new trailer for LoS2?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJk-zhp8aA0
What's even going on with the Belmont bloodline now?

It's pronounced A-loo-card, not Al-you-card! :mad:

The Devil May Cry reboot got Mundus' name wrong too. It's not like the games they originated from didn't have voice acting.

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
The thumbnail for that video is just ridiculous cleavage. sexism in videogames

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Nanomashoes posted:

LoS really front-loads its terribleness, but the ending where Gabriel goes SSJ and has a fight with naked Satan is amazing. You're crazy.

The actual fight was okay apart from where there's a 5% chance of you actually dying. The one time I did die was due to an unlucky hit from the Reapers that's an instant kill if you're on anything lower than full health and using the wrong magic, and that only happened because I let the fight drag on way too long because I kept loving up the 'walk through the coloured rings to R2 Satan' bit.

Actually the last two bosses were like that, I think I only lost energy on the undead dragon boss because I stayed still on the platform to see if its drive by flame breath did actually do anything or whether it was just for show.

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Nov 6, 2013

nolen
Apr 4, 2004

butts.
A Castlevania game taking place in the late 50s with doo-wop singer Dion Belmont fighting raging greaser Dracula.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5m6lymJy57E

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Gave the LoS2 demo a shot. It does seem to be better combat-wise but whoever said earlier that it was a combo of God of War and the new DmC was pretty much right and that disappoints me. I kinda feel that Platinum is the best at these kind of games mechanic-wise but I guess since they don't sell as well as GoW American devs have no choice but to go where the money is. It's a shame too, despite the difficulty in Platinum games I always knew that it was just a matter of getting better and there weren't a whole lot of points where the fights felt like poorly made bullshit. GoW and LoS 1 though could both be mashed through and I don't even want to get started on DmC. And whoever said that MercuryStream has no idea how to handle references, yes you are right. Boy was that "What is a man?" line was crazy out of place and cringe inducing. At least it still doesn't seem as contemptuous of the source material as DmC was.

I was given some hope at the end of the demo when to defeat the giant mechanical medival robot Gabby vomited out a boa constrictor sized stream of blood barf onto what I assume was the robots heart/brain/controlling mechanism in order to defeat it . I say hope because that comes across as coming close to that wonderful Platinum level of "cuhrayzee" that I love so much. Here's hoping it gets more insane after that.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
The funny thing was, if they had any sense for these things, they surely could've had Dracula ask "what is a man?" And then say something not nonsensical, which would be non disruptive to people who aren't familiar, come across as a reference to those who were, and also be a subversion of expectations and not stupid as hell.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
Nothing could be worse than the "The cake is a lie" reference randomly thrown into LoS which launched like 3 years after Portal. It was like calling your Grandma and having her scream "All of your bases belong to me!! LOL!!" Sorry Grandma, you just don't get the internet.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

My idea of an ideal Castlevania reboot would have Dracula revive his castle as a giant wrestling ring, to finally end his centuries long feud with the Belmont family. It would be called Wrestlevania.

What is a man? A miserable piledriver of secrets!?

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Detective No. 27 posted:

My idea of an ideal Castlevania reboot would have Dracula revive his castle as a giant wrestling ring, to finally end his centuries long feud with the Belmont family. It would be called Wrestlevania.

What is a man? A miserable piledriver of secrets!?

I'm pretty sure this already happened and it's called the entire previous season of VGCW.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I played a Wrestlevania NES romhack like ten years ago that was incredible. It was just NES Wrestlemania but with NES Castlevania Dracula in it and the title screen edited so that the Ultimate Warrior had bloody fangs.

How's the framerate in Mirror of Fate HD? If it's actually in the double digits it's a huge improvement over the 3DS game.

Adam Bowen posted:

My complaint is really with the cheesy dialogue during the Satan fight that affirms Gabriel will never turn against God and become evil, immediately followed by the ending where we find out Gabriel appears to have turned against God and become evil. It makes sense after the DLC, but if they'd shown Gabriel's faith to be faltering after beating Satan and losing Marie they wouldn't have needed the dumb DLC ending.

I think this is because of how Mercury Steam/Hideo Kojima redesigned Gabriel much later in the game's production. I know it would make the game better overall but they should have had Gabriel's attitude, his stance in the game, anything change bit by bit as the game goes on instead of him being monotone the whole time. Patrick Stewart has all these monologues towards the end about how Gabriel hasn't slept for four days straight now, is going crazy, etc. but the character model and voice acting actually reflecting this would have helped. The game's presentation is so lavish that it feels like a misstep that something like this wasn't done.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Nov 7, 2013

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It is CRAZY how much more immersed in a game I become when the character model reflects growth/change. Like, exponentially more immersed.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

The only time I got the impression that Gabriel was changing was during the fight the the butcher, he seemed to be enjoying that fight instead of having a poker face.

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
Please change my name to "The Guff Machine"
The LoS2 demo seems suitably insane I suppose, but I'd really prefer it if they had bothered to give Gabcula more imaginative secondary weapons and a new main weapon, a whip is still a whip even if it's red and made out of energy. Still not a huge fan of any extended climbing sections, although I do appreciate the option to turn QTEs off and guide arrows for idiots like me who can't figure out where the game wants you to go during them.

Combat feels OK but I didn't really notice if they had fixed any of LoS's main failings, AoE attacks still feel far too weak from what I could tell.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Neo Rasa posted:

I played a Wrestlevania NES romhack like ten years ago that was incredible. It was just NES Wrestlemania but with NES Castlevania Dracula in it and the title screen edited so that the Ultimate Warrior had bloody fangs.

How's the framerate in Mirror of Fate HD? If it's actually in the double digits it's a huge improvement over the 3DS game.

I think this is because of how Mercury Steam/Hideo Kojima redesigned Gabriel much later in the game's production. I know it would make the game better overall but they should have had Gabriel's attitude, his stance in the game, anything change bit by bit as the game goes on instead of him being monotone the whole time. Patrick Stewart has all these monologues towards the end about how Gabriel hasn't slept for four days straight now, is going crazy, etc. but the character model and voice acting actually reflecting this would have helped. The game's presentation is so lavish that it feels like a misstep that something like this wasn't done.

I think we (or me, at any rate) have been spoiled by games like Shadow of the Colossus and Spec Ops: The Line. The former does the wear and tear effect subtly while the latter uses it to wonderfully grotesque effect. This is a game that absolutely needs to show the breakdown of its character, but instead we get Patrick Stewart's fantastically hammy stage intros, telling us how much of a strain Gabriel's quest has been, then it's back to the adventures of Plankface McStoic, The Man Without Facial Expressions.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I wonder if CV is going to be dead in the water after Mercury Stream quits mediocring it up, or if the hiatus will have been long enough to get Metroid/Classic style ones again.

Bust Rodd posted:

It is CRAZY how much more immersed in a game I become when the character model reflects growth/change. Like, exponentially more immersed.

Spec Ops was amazing for that.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Anatharon posted:

I wonder if CV is going to be dead in the water after Mercury Stream quits mediocring it up, or if the hiatus will have been long enough to get Metroid/Classic style ones again.

Spec Ops was amazing for that.

CV was dead in the water before Mercury Steam brought the franchise back.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Picked up Portrait of Ruin on the cheap, and it's pretty goddamned good! Seriously not a fan of the anime art style, but I felt the same way about Dawn of Sorrow.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Pope Guilty posted:

Picked up Portrait of Ruin on the cheap, and it's pretty goddamned good! Seriously not a fan of the anime art style, but I felt the same way about Dawn of Sorrow.

Still has a character with different whips, and it's best to have whip characters.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Fargin Icehole posted:

Still has a character with different whips, and it's best to have whip characters.

I used the whip weapon in Aria of Sorrow long after it its damage fell behind the better weapons because gently caress yeah, a whip!

One thing I'm digging about PoR is that they discarded the whole "we only put a handful of weapons in the map, go grind souls if you want better ones" thing from DoS and just went back to putting in new and better weapons on a regular basis.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Pope Guilty posted:

I used the whip weapon in Aria of Sorrow long after it its damage fell behind the better weapons because gently caress yeah, a whip!

The whip sword? I did that as well, that extra reach really comes in handy.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

blackguy32 posted:

CV was dead in the water before Mercury Steam brought the franchise back.

I know that, but I'm wondering if that's going to happen again.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Anatharon posted:

I doubt it. If anything, it will be stuck in the same place as Mega Man is.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Anatharon posted:

However you feel about LoS, none of this is MercurySteam's fault. They did their job, they created a game that Konami wanted to sell with the Castlevania name on it. Although I like LoS a lot, I do think it's really surprising that they ever made a sequel, because I'm positive it's going to bomb horribly and this is going to be the last Castlevania game for the foreseeable future.

Konami is just poo poo, man. They loving suck. All they do is spit out MGS games and PES, and every single other franchise they ever had has been run into the ground. Look at Silent Hill - now I thought Downpour was a complete travesty of a game that was never going to sell and should never have been made, but Vatra still did the best job they could under the circumstances, and surprise, now Silent Hill is dead. Suikoden is dead. Goemon is dead. And as soon as Kojima has had enough, Metal Gear will be dead as well.

I'm hoping LoS 2 will at least be a good game. Regardless of how good or bad it is, though, it won't live up to Konami's sales expectations and then Castlevania will be dead.

The Mega Man analogy is very appropriate, except in that case Capcom's 3D reboot never actually happened and so Mega Man died earlier than Castlevania will.

Edit: And note that I don't mean permanently dead. I think a new Mega Man game will come out at some point. Same with Castlevania. But it requires top brass at each company that know what they're doing, and that probably happen for a loooooooooong time.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Nov 10, 2013

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:

Hakkesshu posted:

Konami is just poo poo, man. They loving suck. All they do is spit out MGS games and PES, and every single other franchise they ever had has been run into the ground.

Perhaps the same could be said of all japanese publishers.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

It's almost like they're run by people in a country that refuses to learn from past mistakes.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Picked up Order of Ecclesia over the weekend and it's a lot of fun so far, if a little more difficult than I expected. A couple quick questions:

-Obtaining multiple copies of the same glyph doesn't make that attack any stronger, right?

-I've heard there are secret chests that can only be found by crouching in certain spots. How many of these are there? What are some signs that there might be one nearby?

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

Just in case anyone doesn't know, the Japanese version of Castlevania 3 had the superior soundtrack thanks to the VRC6 chip.
You gotta hear it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQuTQnSpw4k

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

.TakaM posted:

Just in case anyone doesn't know, the Japanese version of Castlevania 3 had the superior soundtrack thanks to the VRC6 chip.
You gotta hear it

Plus grants attack was a projectile which made him a lot more fun to play.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

C-Euro posted:

-I've heard there are secret chests that can only be found by crouching in certain spots. How many of these are there? What are some signs that there might be one nearby?

You need a special hat from Daniela. Or I can post a copypaste from gamefaqs if you want.

Getting multiple glyphs has minor stat bonuses so it doesn't hurt to do it.

Mister Roboto fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Nov 13, 2013

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

C-Euro posted:

Picked up Order of Ecclesia over the weekend and it's a lot of fun so far, if a little more difficult than I expected. A couple quick questions:

-Obtaining multiple copies of the same glyph doesn't make that attack any stronger, right?

a: no, but there are some benefits to doing it like heart restore and stat gain. So just keep on absorbing.

b: some bonus stuff you get by breaking walls and ceiling bricks, not just kneeling! Helpful, ya? (you can get an item which helps you find this)

edit: oh, well fine

Psion fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Nov 13, 2013

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

C-Euro posted:

In addition to the above, you get hearts, which is nice.

And if you don't have them all memorized (:v:) typically the area is a little suspicious, like a raised ledge or something.

You need to break a hidden wall to get the real ending though, so don't feel bad about looking it up.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Social Animal posted:

Plus grants attack was a projectile which made him a lot more fun to play.

And you took less damage.

Aside from the soundtrack (which isn't even completely better, some of the more simple CV3 arrangements are better than the AD counterparts), Akumajou Densetsu doesn't hold a candle to Castlevania 3. It's just too easy.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

.TakaM posted:

You gotta hear it

Wow, that approaches SNES in terms of soundtrack quality. Shame NOA wasn't so keen on such things.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

C-Euro posted:

Look for suspicious torch placement as well. Two candlesticks in the middle of an empty room? Sounds like hidden treasure to me.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I am definitely in the Classic & MetroidVania camp. I put more hours than I'd like to admit into the N64 games, mostly out of a stubbornness to not want to try the PlayStation, but they are definitely not games I can say I enjoyed. I just can't bring myself to care about the 3D games. It's frustrating now because I'd bet IGA could have done something really impressive MetroidVania-wise on the 3DS in a similar fashion to the jump in quality with the DS. I've been really dying to play a new one, it's hard to believe it's been 5 years since Oder of Ecclesia.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
I beat the Dracula X Chronicles version of SotN last night. They got rid of "I am the Wind", thank loving god. On the other hand Dracula no longer quotes the Bible chapter and verse, so it ends up a bit of a wash.

I started a Maria game right afterward. I've played the Saturn version, so I was interested in the differences. She lost the triple jump and I swear she used to have a damaging slide, so that's a bit of a loss. On the other hand, forward and back dashes plus an air dash without a ridiculous button combination is pretty great. She does suffer a bit from the problem that everyone sharing a game with Alucard has in that he just has such a stupid number of frames so everyone else looks stiff. I think they cut like half his frames out for DoS and he was still easily the best animated character the game. It's kind of sad.

MarsDragon fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Nov 13, 2013

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

LoS2 Demo using the "What is a man?" quote still bothers me. I was thinking that if they really REALLY wanted a SoTN quote the one on the game over screen would have at least semi-fit with the scene.

"Let us go out this evening for pleasure. The night is still young."

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone
Castlevania 2 is cool because it's so wildly ambitious and it never, like, works in any way, it's just a god drat mess, but it's loaded with so many ideas I like. Creeping down the stairs into a massive cave that's contiguous with the overworld, the 2D perspective being used as a cross section of the earth's surface, is just Good poo poo. The idea of a Castlevania game that takes place mostly in the haunted countryside is great, it makes the whole thing throb with this pervasive feeling of evil, because you're NOT in a weird gothic castle but rather the normal world is being colonized by some profound darkness. I mean your goal in the game is to put Dracula back together to give this evil a corporeal form that you can hit with your whip! drat!

The bizarre checkpointing REALLY suggests that it got pushed out the door with a lot of stuff left unimplemented and weird workarounds put in place to make it actually playable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone
Oh and check it out, it implies something that gets revisited in many other games but never explicitly resolved. Every time we see a Belmont after they kill Dracula, they're being haunted by some kind of terrible curse. Is THAT why only the chosen ones you play as are allowed to fight Dracula? Because even successfully killing him incurs a supernatural wrath that hounds you to your grave?