Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah man Cutty loved it, I even briefly tried to learn how to make gifs because of that but, :effort:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

DrBouvenstein posted:

I think it might have been more geared towards lampooning shows like Game of Thrones or True Blood, that are full of hosed-up sexual poo poo, but still considered art and awesome

No one considers True Blood art, but yeah, True Blood featured a scene where the historical Salome performed the dance of the seven veils for a confederate vampire before engaging in violent, high-speed vampire sex.

Conquistador posted:

I'm not going to even cite any of the parts because it was literally pretty much every part.

And its airing the week of the Emmys.

The subtext is literally impossible to miss.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

There was even a joke about how what Charlie was doing only made sense in the context of the Emmys and not in their metaphor for the Emmys.

Literally his entire plot this episode was about trying to win a best song award, which exists only in the Emmys and not at all in the best bar awards.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
I'm going to be honest and say that I didn't get it at first as I don't really follow tv awards and just naturally assumed that every single episode of Always Sunny had each won approximately 5 Emmys.

Regarding the bad sitcom bar I laughed pretty hard that every guest outside of the gang looked like they came straight out of a Stockphoto shoot. The lighting, clothing, perfectly mixed races and body language screamed istockphoto.com

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Dennis and Mac's reaction to Dee's terrible timing is hilarious.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Zsinjeh posted:

I'm going to be honest and say that I didn't get it at first as I don't really follow tv awards and just naturally assumed that every single episode of Always Sunny had each won approximately 5 Emmys.

I missed a lot of jokes in this one too. I had no idea the Emmys were happening this week. I've never watched an awards show though. I thought the bar scene was poking fun at super franchised bars or something. But not D&B...

Beardless Riker
Apr 14, 2005

Pyzza Rouge
Jun 25, 2011

La Mano de Dios

deong posted:

I missed a lot of jokes in this one too. I had no idea the Emmys were happening this week. I've never watched an awards show though. I thought the bar scene was poking fun at super franchised bars or something. But not D&B...

I connected the dots right as Howerton delivered the last line. It doesn't help that Sunny for me is traditionally a "turn off your brain and enjoy it" show so I wasn't asking the questions I normally would.

The subtlest episode before this was probably The Gang Goes Jihad back in Season 2, wherein the gang gets a notice to vacate the pub by an Israeli businessman because they're "on his land." In the same episode said businessman almost bangs Dennis and Dee's mom and ends up selling the land to Frank so he can be part of the gang. So this episode was a bit of a curveball.

It certainly didn't affect my enjoyment of the episode and it was nice to see Charlie being the most meta character rather than Dee (e.g. Dee's "We've literally had this conversation before," line in The Gang Recycles Their Trash). I'm looking forward to see how subtle they're willing to get; in one of the interviews someone posted Day mentioned it's been harder to come up with material since season 8 but it's made them better writers.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Doesn't add up

mwells_cubed
Aug 7, 2003

WOW

I think Dennis is looking into this far too much. Cmon, guys. :rolleyes:

Barf Wight
Sep 4, 2011
OK, you can stop yelling :hf:

El Murguista posted:

I connected the dots right as Howerton delivered the last line. It doesn't help that Sunny for me is traditionally a "turn off your brain and enjoy it" show so I wasn't asking the questions I normally would.

The subtlest episode before this was probably The Gang Goes Jihad back in Season 2, wherein the gang gets a notice to vacate the pub by an Israeli businessman because they're "on his land." In the same episode said businessman almost bangs Dennis and Dee's mom and ends up selling the land to Frank so he can be part of the gang. So this episode was a bit of a curveball.

It certainly didn't affect my enjoyment of the episode and it was nice to see Charlie being the most meta character rather than Dee (e.g. Dee's "We've literally had this conversation before," line in The Gang Recycles Their Trash). I'm looking forward to see how subtle they're willing to get; in one of the interviews someone posted Day mentioned it's been harder to come up with material since season 8 but it's made them better writers.
This episode wasn't subtle at all though. Some people didn't get it because they don't pay attention to awards or whatever, but that doesn't mean it's subtle.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
To be fair you probably do have to shut off part of your brain to enjoy danny devito being anally penetrated by a bottle

E: i enjoyed it

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

Conquistador posted:

To be fair you probably do have to shut off part of your brain to enjoy danny devito being anally penetrated by a bottle

E: i enjoyed it

After watching him emerge naked and sweaty from a couch being pegged with a bottle is nothing

Moon LLC
Mar 27, 2010

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

After watching him emerge naked and sweaty from a couch being pegged with a bottle is nothing

I love that googling "danny devito couch" gets you that scene as the first result.

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

timmmmaaaah posted:

I love that googling "danny devito couch" gets you that scene as the first result.

Only because Skymall refuses to stock any of my brilliant product ideas.

Dan Hollis
Jun 16, 2006

Surprise!!!
The scenes in the bright bar were amazing. I'll never be able to watch "New Girl" the same way again.

Duro
May 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Condiv posted:

But what did the bottle being shoved up frank's rear end symbolise.

Maybe it's a reference to that video of the guy who shoves a glass bottle in his rear end and it shatters while inside (also known as one of the most cringe worthy videos on the internet)

cptInsane0
Apr 11, 2007

...and a clown with no head

Conquistador posted:

Yeah man Cutty Dennis loved it, I even briefly tried to learn how to make gifs because of that but, :effort:

Fixed that for you.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

LividLiquid posted:

Literally his entire plot this episode was about trying to win a best song award, which exists only in the Emmys and not at all in the best bar awards.

Emmys don't have a Best Song category. :v:

Barf Wight
Sep 4, 2011
OK, you can stop yelling :hf:

Burning_Monk posted:

They do have "Outstanding Original Music and Lyrics" though, you might even call music and lyrics a song!

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I can't wait for the next episode so this silly talk about the episode not being/being about the Emmys that I have contributed to as much as anybody will finally end

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:

Burning_Monk posted:

Well that's all the more reason do one right? We'll be the only thread to make one, I mean let's cover all our bases. I'm going to start right now!

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Barf Wight posted:

They do have "Outstanding Original Music and Lyrics" though, you might even call music and lyrics a song!

Let's hope the Sunny guys submit Charlie's final song as an entry.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

I love it! Any chance it can be flipped so we can fully understand that he TOTALLY does not care about my posts at all?

Right now it looks like he TOTALLY does not care about Dexter at all. Me either, Dennis...me either.

Beardless Riker
Apr 14, 2005

Conquistador posted:

I can't wait for the next episode so this silly talk about the episode not being/being about the Emmys that I have contributed to as much as anybody will finally end

I don't get it. I really don't get it. The episode is about the Emmy's, it wasn't that subtle and I've even posted a pic here from Glenn's twitter where he says as much. If anyone's still in the dark about it that's gonna be on them. We can't change everyone, some people are like parents - they just don't understand.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Beardless Riker posted:

We can't change everyone, some people are like parents - they just don't understand.

:lol:

You suuuuuck dadddd

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Charlies songs were fantastic. I realized they were talking about TV awards but had no idea the Emmys were coming up. I wonder if they actually care about that or not.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Fast Luck posted:

Charlies songs were fantastic. I realized they were talking about TV awards but had no idea the Emmys were coming up. I wonder if they actually care about that or not.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Yeah I saw that, I just don't know if they're earnestly mad or just playing. I'd be kind of surprised if the people who make a show like Sunny really are into awards.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

That may be true, but it must suck to see something you've been working on for close to a decade be constantly overlooked despite how much love the viewers give to it. Some of the stuff that gets nominated isn't exactly 'best comedy' calibre, even if it's watchable. The last 7 years or so only 2 shows have won Best Comedy - 30 Rock and Modern Family. I like both shows, but there's nothing on this earth that will convince me that they both deserve multiple year runs that make it look like they're head and shoulders above everything else on TV.

Half of me thinks they need to split between Cable and Network for shows as it's not really fair to compare the two, but that's a call for progress and this is the Emmys/TV industry we're talking about so lol no chance.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

EL BROMANCE posted:

Half of me thinks they need to split between Cable and Network for shows as it's not really fair to compare the two, but that's a call for progress and this is the Emmys/TV industry we're talking about so lol no chance.

The network/cable split might help Sunny snag a nomination, but the awards would still go to high-brow, high-profile comedies like Veep, Louie and Girls.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW
There was an interview posted earlier where Glenn talked about this. He basically attributed it to them not playing the system to get nominated/win the award. That's why in the episode they were trying to play the system.

Harry fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Sep 25, 2013

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Apparently that trashheap known as the big bang theory got nominated this year.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Probably because most people like that show and goons are literally the only people I know that have watched it and are so vehemently opposed to its existence

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I enjoy BBT and defend it quite often, but it's really not 'Best Comedy' material given how many great shows are on.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Harry posted:

There was an interview posted earlier where Glenn talked about this. He basically attributed it to them not playing the system to get nominated/win the award. That's why in the episode they were trying to play the system.

The awards literally mean nothing to them.

Though winning one would have meant a lot.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

EL BROMANCE posted:

I enjoy BBT and defend it quite often, but it's really not 'Best Comedy' material given how many great shows are on.

No, I like the show (probably due purely to the fact I've been watching it for the last 5 years), but it's not great, certainly not Best Comedy material.

As dumb as it is that only 2 shows have won Best Comedy in those 7 years, I really wonder if I shouldn't at least try to watch Modern Family, but it just doesn't look very good.

rustybikes
Mar 12, 2004

timpanihilistic posted:

I love it! Any chance it can be flipped so we can fully understand that he TOTALLY does not care about my posts at all?

Right now it looks like he TOTALLY does not care about Dexter at all. Me either, Dennis...me either.

Sure! How's this?

(I don't care about Dexter enough to roll-eyes at it either.)

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

PittTheElder posted:

As dumb as it is that only 2 shows have won Best Comedy in those 7 years, I really wonder if I shouldn't at least try to watch Modern Family, but it just doesn't look very good.

Its my parents' favorite TV show. I watched the first season, its okay but not anything super hilarious. It seems like all my aunts and uncles love it too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

PittTheElder posted:

No, I like the show (probably due purely to the fact I've been watching it for the last 5 years), but it's not great, certainly not Best Comedy material.

I always thought that Modern Family was an attempt at making an Arrested Development. But then I really don't know because I've only watched one episode because I hate mockumentary style things, and the shaky handheld camera made me sick. The constant rocking back and forth, quick cuts, fast zooms, and ridiculous auto-focus movements are terrible and should be banned.