Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I didn't realize Amy Weber had done a single card that wasn't total poo poo.

She did the freaky Ice Age Icy Manipulator:

Which I love a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Korak posted:

So Mono Blue got 2 Top 8s for SCG Open, including winning the whole thing. BBD's Bant Walkers almost made top 8 but lost the last match to Adrian Sullivan's UW control. Not sure how CVM did. Brad's burn deck got a terrible 180th+.

WotC coverage is back, Mihara's deck still seems really good. Needs a meta game tweak of the numbers, I'd probably move it to a more controlling shell. Aww he just lost to mono black pack rat spam. :(

I was going to play MonoB at somerset next week but now I'm thinking MonoU with 4 hallowed fountains and 3 temple of enlightenment to splash 3 DShperes.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

AATREK CURES KIDS posted:

No, because the TNN can still block.

gently caress it, Wizards should print a spell with "Choose a creature. Target opponent gains control of this spell. Exile that creature."

My Death and Taxes tend to handle it with the Sword of Fire and Ice. I can usually attach it to something that can keep up with TNN or out race it, which is most often Stoneforge Mystic, since she pulls it out in the first place.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
WotC event update: Super spicy board states between Mihara's Esper Good Stuff deck vs RG Monsters with active Xenagos god out.

Mihara wins, Imposing Soverign doing a god's work of keeping nasty, large and hasty RG creatures from pressuring him. Fun little trick with Brimaz + instant speed removal. Block to get your free token, then kill the other creature.

Owen got top 8 for the Modern Masters draft, should start in 30 minutes to a hour so 4:30-5pm est.

Korak fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Feb 9, 2014

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
Draft started and they're watching Mihara. Pros on twitter making fun of his p1p1 that he's probably not going to use(Esperzoa.) Looks like he's going to have a mostly green deck splashing for a few other things.

Also if I'm counting right he's been passed 3 empty the warrens and a few other Storm archtype cards passed. If someone is ballsy in his pod they're going to have a ridiculous storm deck.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Every time they talk about being giddy to watch Modern Masters being played I get angry because WHY DIDN'T YOU PRINT MORE WIZARDS I ONLY GOT TO DRAFT ONCE :argh:

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
The supposed reason is it was a limited run to find out if there's a market for it... but I don't understand what company they get to print cards that doesn't have the capacity to print more if the demand is there? Like you could even, shocking I know, attempt to develop relationships with another company for an exclusive new partnership. It seems like the people that run WotC and now Hasbro overlords don't really know what they're doing.

Mihara's deck is too fair for Modern Masters. Think he's going to be out 6-8th place. Praying someone in his pod grabbed the storm deck and destroys everyone. Curious if someone in the other pod could draft the artifacts deck, they might have an easy match up till the finals.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Offset presses don't really like downtime. The more it runs, the more money you make. They only really stop to put in new plates. It wouldn't surprise me if the print house has their production scheduled for the next 6mo-1yr

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

Molybdenum posted:

Offset presses don't really like downtime. The more it runs, the more money you make. They only really stop to put in new plates. It wouldn't surprise me if the print house has their production scheduled for the next 6mo-1yr
Hence 'make a new business friend' or help expand the existing one. They know there's a huge market for it.

Mihara takes the first game, bounced opponents suspended creature and then killed two creatures with spliced Torrent. Just overran opponent that was stuck on mono blue lands with some white in his hand.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
That was a really hilarious Rude Awakening blow out

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Seattle Magic goons: is there any place nearby I could play Standard on a night that's not Friday?

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

Take Possession is a hell of a card in limited.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Some Numbers posted:

Seattle Magic goons: is there any place nearby I could play Standard on a night that's not Friday?

Green lake games has Monday standard listed on their site, but I've never been there for it.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Some Numbers posted:

Green Lake Games Calendar says Monday night is Standard... http://greenlakegames.crystalcommerce.com/events_calendar

The Dreaming in the U-District has "Open Magic" on Mondays, a friend of mine went there once on Monday and a bunch of people were playing standard, went another Monday night and no one was there... Outside of Seattle, for Standard on non-Fridays I've found, Comic Stop in Lynnwood on Thursday and Geek Fortress in Snohomish on Monday.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Lynnwood's not too far. Thanks guys.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Heard an odd thing earlier and I wanted to check it out. A guy said that he had it confirmed from a PTQ judge that if you cast Skullcrack so "Damage can't be prevented this turn", a creature with protection can can take damage from a source it's protected from (so long as it doesn't need to target etc) is that right? It seems wrong to me.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

BizarroAzrael posted:

Heard an odd thing earlier and I wanted to check it out. A guy said that he had it confirmed from a PTQ judge that if you cast Skullcrack so "Damage can't be prevented this turn", a creature with protection can can take damage from a source it's protected from (so long as it doesn't need to target etc) is that right? It seems wrong to me.

That is correct. Say, for example, Anger of the Gods deals 3 damage to the board. Normally that damage would be prevented to a pro-red guy, like Silver Knight, but Skullcrack as you said, stops the prevention.

Protection leads to some cludgy rules sometimes but in terms of stopping damage it uses the normal game rules for damage prevention.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Tendrils of Agony targeting an opponent with Leyline of Sanctity is not very strong, as it turns out.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

BizarroAzrael posted:

No, that's right. If damage can't be prevented, Protection from X isn't going to prevent X dealing damage to you.

Keep in mind that the creature still can't be targeted or blocked by things it has protection from, so you'd need something like Anger of the Gods that deals damage to all creatures, or to attack and have them block with it, for it to be relevant.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

BizarroAzrael posted:

this guy belongs on a metal album cover :rock:http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=87900:black101:

(read the oracle rulings)

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

This final match of MMA draft on the super sunday is pretty incredible. A great advert for how good MMA draft is.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

frameset posted:

This final match of MMA draft on the super sunday is pretty incredible. A great advert for how good MMA draft is.

A great advert for a format that I couldn't buy at my LGS and is out of print so can't be found at reasonable prices most places near me.

(And I can't order well online as you can't ship sealed product to other continents.)

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

Korak posted:

The supposed reason is it was a limited run to find out if there's a market for it... but I don't understand what company they get to print cards that doesn't have the capacity to print more if the demand is there? Like you could even, shocking I know, attempt to develop relationships with another company for an exclusive new partnership. It seems like the people that run WotC and now Hasbro overlords don't really know what they're doing.

Mihara's deck is too fair for Modern Masters. Think he's going to be out 6-8th place. Praying someone in his pod grabbed the storm deck and destroys everyone. Curious if someone in the other pod could draft the artifacts deck, they might have an easy match up till the finals.

They would have done a second print run if they wanted to. They do more print runs for regular expansions and supplementary products all the time. The reason they're not doing another print run of MMA is because they decided not to, not because they couldn't find someone to print it.

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

Legendary Enchantment Creature -- Bird God
They're gun-shy, flat out. Last time they did this was Chronicles.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Boxn posted:

Wouldn't Runed Halo be another option for White decks that can't defend well against TNN?

Stupid rules question: What happens if, theoretically, my opponent's name is -also- the name of a card? Like if my opponent legally changed his name to Gaddock Teeg, would I be able to gain protection from him that way?

(Also sort of wondering if this has ever come up on MODO)

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Niton posted:

Stupid rules question: What happens if, theoretically, my opponent's name is -also- the name of a card? Like if my opponent legally changed his name to Gaddock Teeg, would I be able to gain protection from him that way?

Nah, because naming a card isn't the same as naming an opponent.

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012

Niton posted:

From Runed Halo's rulings:

quote:

5/1/2008 Runed Halo gives you protection from each object with the chosen name, whether it's a card, a token, or a copy of a spell. It doesn't matter what game zone that object is in.

Given the "each object", I think this is a non-starter. It would be amazing if it worked, though.

e: you can't even name 'Jack', because the comprehensive rules say only Magic cards count as "cards" according to the rules.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

jassi007 posted:

Apparently GP Richmond is going to be big. I tried to reserve a hotel today, downtown is almost entirely booked. The hotel with SCG rates downtown is completely booked. Wish I had done it when I pre-registered. Sigh.

Oops, I knew I was forgetting something :doh:

Got a room near the airport, but you're looking at close to $100 a night.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

a dozen swans posted:

From Runed Halo's rulings:

Given the "each object", I think this is a non-starter. It would be amazing if it worked, though.

e: you can't even name 'Jack', because the comprehensive rules say only Magic cards count as "cards" according to the rules.

You could name Gus though :getin:

Lead By Example
Jul 17, 2009

I buy and resell Pokemon cards for a living. If you're ever looking to sell your childhood, please reach out!
Fallen Rib
I love watching High Tide so much.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

Boxn posted:

Nah, because naming a card isn't the same as naming an opponent.
However, Fascist Art Director works like a True-Name Nemesis if you are playing against someone who is a Magic Card artist. Mark Rosewater said so (though I can't find the post about it on Tumblr).

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

zanmatto posted:

I love watching High Tide so much.

Did Feline end up winning? I had to step away from the coverage. She is an absolute master. In the SCG Open she won last year, she resolved a Ponder (reordering the top 3 cards) with one hand. She's a combo robot sent from the future to stop people from playing Stoneforge Mystics.

TicalStal
Apr 23, 2004
I promised America to the Fuhrer!

jassi007 posted:

Apparently GP Richmond is going to be big. I tried to reserve a hotel today, downtown is almost entirely booked. The hotel with SCG rates downtown is completely booked. Wish I had done it when I pre-registered. Sigh.

I'm a noob when it comes to GPs but if you pre register online you can fly in Friday night and register your deck Saturday before the tournament right? Also how early should you arrive on saturday to the tournament to make sure you can get that exclusive playmat before it runs out?

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

AgentSythe posted:

Did Feline end up winning? I had to step away from the coverage. She is an absolute master. In the SCG Open she won last year, she resolved a Ponder (reordering the top 3 cards) with one hand. She's a combo robot sent from the future to stop people from playing Stoneforge Mystics.

I remember that open, her decklist had a ridiculous number of outs to every card that beats High Tide and she kept drawing or tutoring for them.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

AgentSythe posted:

Apparently she does alters so maybe she's really talented with her fingers. Artists!

She did end up winning and got 9th place. Tenjum squeaked in to 8th.

TicalStal posted:

I'm a noob when it comes to GPs but if you pre register online you can fly in Friday night and register your deck Saturday before the tournament right? Also how early should you arrive on saturday to the tournament to make sure you can get that exclusive playmat before it runs out?
I think they changed this recently but don't quote me on it.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

TicalStal posted:

https://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/feature/263e

TL:DR No. You have to register Friday. If your going just pre-reg online? The GP Richmond site makes it sound as if all pre-reg get the playmat? IDK.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

AnacondaHL posted:

Oops, I knew I was forgetting something :doh:

Got a room near the airport, but you're looking at close to $100 a night.

Yeah I got something at Comfort Inn Conference Center Midtown for $100 a night. Thats ok its 3 way split, I just didn't really want to have to drive and deal with parking each day. Such is life.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

TicalStal posted:

SCG appears to be offering everyone a playmat, which is different from other recent GPs.

The check-in times on Saturday are on their site, and depends on your byes:
http://www.magicgp.com/grand-prix.html

Without byes you might want to get there by 9:30.

TicalStal
Apr 23, 2004
I promised America to the Fuhrer!

jassi007 posted:

https://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/feature/263e

TL:DR No. You have to register Friday. If your going just pre-reg online? The GP Richmond site makes it sound as if all pre-reg get the playmat? IDK.

When I preregistered online I didn't see an option to enter my deck so I was wondering if I had to go Friday to complete that or if that was taken care of Saturday. (The last time I did a GP was in 2006 or something where they gave foil spiritmonger promos)

The mat question was just wondering if they would run out but hopefully not!

AnacondaHL posted:

SCG appears to be offering everyone a playmat, which is different from other recent GPs.

The check-in times on Saturday are on their site, and depends on your byes:
http://www.magicgp.com/grand-prix.html

Without byes you might want to get there by 9:30.

Ah thanks I think that answers it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

TicalStal posted:

When I preregistered online I didn't see an option to enter my deck so I was wondering if I had to go Friday to complete that or if that was taken care of Saturday. (The last time I did a GP was in 2006 or something where they gave foil spiritmonger promos)

The mat question was just wondering if they would run out but hopefully not!

Oh I see what you mean deck reg? No clue, this will be my first GP.

• Locked thread