Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

gyrobot posted:

Norway was supposed to become the last bastion of the Reich.

Incidentally, there was a heavy water plant in Norway which was sabotaged by Norwegian resistance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
All of the talk about people worshipping the Helghast highlights one of the (many) criticisms I had when I first played Killzone 1 way, way back when it was being widely trumpeted as Sony's answer to Halo, which is that the overall crux of the conflict, the whole ISA/Helghast war, just isn't tremendously compelling. Blind Sally's pointed out that there's a sprawling backstory which was basically not at all presented in the actual game, you're just dropped into the role of Captain Whitebread fighting an army of Jin-Roh ripoffs who are mad at your side for reasons, and it's really, really hard to give a poo poo about any of what's going on. The stakes are basically nil.

You could potentially try and argue that this is all part of some cunning and subtle commentary on the nature of war and how it's not meant to be a thing with sides you root for or whatever, just a soul-deadening grey slog (like these middle levels HEYO) but frankly Killzone lacks the gravitas to pull that off and so it just winds up being a game about idiots versus assholes.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

gyrobot posted:

Norway was supposed to become the last bastion of the Reich, Vekta in 3 surrendered. During Shadowfall, half of the country became a bastion for the Helghast after it became very obvious the Helghast kicked the ISA's collective teeth in. But people love to throw parallels of ISA being SpaceAmerica. If the ISA were a mix of SpaceSoviets with SpaceFrench (aka hardline generals who performs field executions of disobdient men while being ruthless avatars of war who one mans Helghast soldies) more people would like the ISA.

Except that's not really what happened? What I gathered from the Killzone series is that interstellar warfare is a crapshoot and that planetary invasions never work out. The difference between Vekta and Helghan is that the Helghast would fight out of fanaticism and Vekta would rather call it quits after a failed invasion. This is why I think Vekta peaced out after Killzone 2.

Also, Helghan didn't really have a choice after Killzone 3. It was either continue to live on a hell ball in space or relocate to a habitable planet thanks to the collective grief of your irradiators.

Delta Green
Nov 2, 2012

Those are French-Canadian soldiers.

Descendants of French soldiers, hardened by the cold Quebec weather and embittered by 300 years of Conquest by the English.

Very Badass and usually pretty angry. But still not as Badass as the Poles (who make it a point of taunting their foes before engaging battle).

Of course, War is the Business of the French, and they are very good at their business.

Delta Green fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Dec 18, 2014

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Kai Tave posted:

You could potentially try and argue that this is all part of some cunning and subtle commentary on the nature of war and how it's not meant to be a thing with sides you root for or whatever, just a soul-deadening grey slog (like these middle levels HEYO) but frankly Killzone lacks the gravitas to pull that off and so it just winds up being a game about idiots versus assholes.

--ha, yeah, this is ultimately one of my own arguments with this LP, but whether or not I succeed will be up to the people watching. Unfortunately, Killzone 1, for whatever reason, is a bit wishy-washy with regards to this idea. The evidence I need for my analysis comes in later games. Speaking of which, I have received the videos for the next chapter from crow. I have to run off to work, but I'll have the next update tonight when I get home.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Inside a Helghast Forward Supply Base

Enter Templer, Hakha, Luger, and Velasquez. They examine a row of monitors.

TEMPLAR
Forsooth, yonder uplink tis too far. We shalt be late.

LUGER
Hakha, doth knowest thou when the Earth fleet will arrive?

HAKHA
I claim not that all the knowledge under the stars is mine.

VELASQUEZ
The way you act, it's like you know my mother's bra size.

HAKHA
Tis but a guess: large?

LUGER
Hark, a missile base!
Could we not borrow a Helghast transport?

TEMPLAR
What say you?

HAKHA
T'will not work.
Yonder bases are too mighty.
We must make our way around.

VELASQUEZ
Oh really? Last time we listened to this guy,
We got HelmetMan rippin' us a new rear end in a top hat!

TEMPLAR
We have not the luxury of choice,
Nor that of time. We strike. Quickly, now!

Exit all

In orbit above Vekta, aboard the SD Platform

Enter Adams

ADAMS
I see. Lente has made planetfall.
I can no longer suffer his jabs,
He would make a fool of me
To my men, and to Visari.
But how to stop him?

Enter Caliban

ADAMS
You, there. You have news for me.
Tis good news. Templar and his cronies
Have been caught by our forces,
That Lente has no cause to be on the ground,
Because their quarry are dead.
T'will be my actions that causes their fall,
And Visari shall rewardeth me.

CALIBAN
Nay, sir, I do pray forgiveness.
They hath blown the 32nd river's bridge,
Denying the 11th their supplies.
The 10th company doth not
Respond to incoming hails.
We fear--

ADAMS
Pray, go on, soldier.
What is thy fear?

CALIBAN
We fear they art lost.

Adams attacks and slays Caliban.

ADAMS
That tis not why I wished to hear!
Not at all! Not at all!

Exeunt

Hey, a level with a gimmick! As mentioned in the video, this will become a recurring theme as Guerrilla becomes better at implementing them in subsequent games. As it stands, this one is mildly amusing and forgettable. We have the helmet and laser designator that the unique Helghast from the last stage used to drop mortar shells on us. I mention incorrectly in the video that it's an orbital bombardment, but it's really just mortars. Anyways, along with the gimmick, we get the opportunity to destroy more objects! In this case, actual buildings:

This ties in with our earlier analysis of what can be destroyed. Not only do we kill life in every stage, but we've thus far been able to destroy the fundamentals of life: food, water, shelter. In this Chapter, we're once again destroying shelter, but we also wind up destroying a bridge--infrastructure, key to many advanced civilizations. For now, this all makes sense within the game narrative. We are fighting a war, we destroy enemy infrastructure to help weaken them. In subsequent games, the level of destruction is going to continue to ramp up, and we're going to be seeing a lot of collateral damage.

We're also going to be seeing a call-back to the whole "destroyed beauty" thing that Killzone did long before Gears Of War. Except this time it isn't going to be the ruins of a once magnificent city, but that of nature. The last level suggested similar ideas, but seeing as how the grasslands were so sickly looking already, it was really difficult to get an idea of just how destructive the Helghast occupation had been. It's a whole lot clearer here, as we enter a lush green jungle only to find a massive clearing where the earth has been torn up, burnt, and stomped down to make way for a Helghast supply base.

Unlike the swamps and the grasslands, where beauty is quite a bit more in the eye of the beholder, the jungles are a lot nicer to look at.

I make sure to glance up at a scene that otherwise only Luger would see, because the light shining through the treetops is kinda pretty.

Aaaaaand, just a bit further, we get a glance at how destructive the Helghast are:

Yup. This used to be jungle. Now it's a bunch of tents, concrete, and bombs sitting on some mud. If shooting Space Nazis wasn't already enough justification to want to fight the Helghast, this should help. It's as if they're terraforming Vekta to be more like Helghan! That said, it'll be hard to retain that sense of righteous fury with regards to the ISA as the war drags on and the war crimes stack up.

Ah well.

Quick point: this gap underneath the barbed wire I tried to get through is accessible only by Luger:

Anyways, I incorrectly mention that this was the base they expected to find Adams at--that was wrong, they expected to find Adams in the last chapter at the Beacon camp where we instead found a laser designation Helghast soldier. At that point, Rico nearly killed Hakha for what he saw as an intentional trap. Only a chapter later, and the two of them are back insulting each other--only it's a lot more light-hearted than it used to be.

(Their begrudging respect for each other is beginning to form :3:).

While our heroes begin to bond with each other, elsewhere we have our villain beginning to fall apart.

We don't know what exactly was promised to Adams. Wealth? Power? Who knows. Did he betray the ISA out of a fear for his own life? Did Helghast bribe him? Does he truly support the Helghast cause? Again, we don't know yet. However, we do know that he wants to appear good in Visari's eyes. Again, whether out of fear, ambition, or genuine loyalty seeking approval, we don't know. Whatever it is, it isn't working. Although the initial plans went off without a hitch, Templar and co. have managed to slowly cripple the Helghast assault on the ground, so much so that General Lente felt the need to deal with them himself. If we know one thing about Adams, it's that he likes to be in control, and right now the control is slipping. This allows us a much needed chance to see the actor ham it up.

Of course, the result being that Caliban, the hapless radio operator, is going to be the target of Adams' frustrations:

Bad news comes in threes here, and Caliban is bearer of them. Unfortunately, Adams is very Darth Vader-esque in his response to bad news:

Yeah, pretty sure he just beat Caliban to death. The General is clearly unstable. Yup. This is the kind of people the ISA made 3-star Generals. Ah, well. We're going to be seeing more monologues from Adams in the future, and hopefully his character will become clearer then.

:rip: Caliban :rip:

BDL-23 Dohvat Laser Designator

A laser designator used to accurately paint targets for artillery to bombard. Battery is powerful enough for 16 designations. Comes with a helmet:

And the helmet makes everything orange and sci-fi and hard to see. Notably, there is a glitch where you can switch weapons so that you can use the designator without the orange overlay coming down. I've never been much bother to use it, though, but it's been confirmed to work in both the original Killzone and the HD rerelease. This weapon is purely a gimmick, so use it or don't--though it makes getting through the chapter much easier, considering the amount of enemy armour and emplacements.

Note: it's also an item pick-up in Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale!!!

Pnv-3 Siska Squad Cannon

A giant, recoil-less rifle that uses a servo-operated gyro-mount allowing you to fire anti-tank shells safely. The explosive shells are 66mm. Holds six cartridges and can fire them in single or double shot bursts. This gun is awesome, always pick it up if it's available. It can kill nearly every enemy in a single shot, makes taking down Elites a breeze, and can destroy most armour with a single use of the secondary fire function. It's fairly accurate, too, but the blast area isn't super large, so you need to ensure you're hitting your target right on.

Seriously. A great gun. The best way to dominate friends in Killzone 1's multiplayer.

Oh my god! We killed Hakha!

Sally fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Feb 4, 2015

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Poor Caliban. What can you do when you're trapped aboard a space station and your boss has a complete murderous meltdown?

Again, I have to question the ISA's hiring policy if they let Stuart Adams fall that far through the cracks.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
You mentioned early in the jungle section how nobody was really doing graphics like this on the PS2 at the time, but didn't MGS3 come out the very same month as this? It's not quite the same graphics style but it's aged a lot better than Killzone 1 for sure.

(Wikipedia says Snake Eater came out like two weeks after this, but still, there were at least a few games that looked better than Killzone at the time I'm sure.)

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Haha, I have never played MGS3, and forgot all about it. Okay, let's say I'm being generous and claim that Killzone is still in the top 5(ish) list of games that looked good on the PS2.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Flesnolk posted:

You mentioned early in the jungle section how nobody was really doing graphics like this on the PS2 at the time, but didn't MGS3 come out the very same month as this? It's not quite the same graphics style but it's aged a lot better than Killzone 1 for sure.

(Wikipedia says Snake Eater came out like two weeks after this, but still, there were at least a few games that looked better than Killzone at the time I'm sure.)

MGS3 is unbelievable in how well it's aged for a PS2 game.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
My point exactly. I remember Sons of Liberty, from 2001, having aged pretty well too, but I could be misremembering.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Flesnolk posted:

My point exactly. I remember Sons of Liberty, from 2001, having aged pretty well too, but I could be misremembering.

Decently well, but MGS3 looks and plays great even compared to modern games. I think a major part of it is the heavy use of good motion capture in place of crappy handmade animations.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
That'd do it for sure, but Subsistence moreso than the original, maybe - I remember finding the original's top down camera a pain in the arse, and Subsistence much more playable.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

On the subject of Killzone, I picked up Shadow Fall yesterday and I'm on the second mission now. It's massively different from all the preceding games, with a more open-ended design and a focus on independent work as a Shadow Marshal rather than being part of a larger force in major operations. There's obviously tons of fodder for an LP like this with the way the plot progresses. Unfortunately, I don't even know where to begin regarding capturing footage from a PS4 or how massive the file sizes would be.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

chitoryu12 posted:

On the subject of Killzone, I picked up Shadow Fall yesterday and I'm on the second mission now. It's massively different from all the preceding games, with a more open-ended design and a focus on independent work as a Shadow Marshal rather than being part of a larger force in major operations. There's obviously tons of fodder for an LP like this with the way the plot progresses. Unfortunately, I don't even know where to begin regarding capturing footage from a PS4 or how massive the file sizes would be.

We recorded all our footage (I still need to get KZ3 recorded, by the way) on an Elgato GameCapture HD card. It's about $140-ish, if you can catch it on sale. It's a very plug-and-play simple rig.

From there, if you're recording footage at full quality in 1080 or 720p then about 30 minutes of footage should be about 1GB*. I just remember I was able to fit all of KZ1 on a 150GB flash drive I bought five years ago with room to spare for the files I'd already had on it.

*Maybe more, I'll let you know for sure when I get home and look at my raw footage.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Dec 27, 2014

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

nine-gear crow posted:

We recorded all our footage (I still need to get KZ3 recorded, by the way) on an Elgato GameCapture HD card. It's about $140-ish, if you can catch it on sale. It's a very plug-and-play simple rig.

From there, if you're recording footage at full quality in 1080 or 720p then about 30 minutes of footage should be about 1GB*. I just remember I was able to fit all of KZ1 on a 150GB flash drive I bought five years ago with room to spare for the files I'd already had on it.

*Maybe more, I'll let you know for sure when I get home and look at my raw footage.

That's actually a really great thing to hear. $140 is something I can easily save up for, and I've already got a 1 TB external drive for storing all of my videography work.

Is it worth spending the $180 on the HD60 model? It seems to be the latest one.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

chitoryu12 posted:

That's actually a really great thing to hear. $140 is something I can easily save up for, and I've already got a 1 TB external drive for storing all of my videography work.

Is it worth spending the $180 on the HD60 model? It seems to be the latest one.

Yes and no. On the one hand, it captures games at a higher frame rate. On the other hand, you're cutting yourself off from being able to capture anything but games on current gen systems because it doesn't have a component/composite input. Whereas the regular Elgato does.

I'd save the $40 and just get the HD model. Its versatility outsells a 60FPS capture rate by a wide margin in my books.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

nine-gear crow posted:

Yes and no. On the one hand, it captures games at a higher frame rate. On the other hand, you're cutting yourself off from being able to capture anything but games on current gen systems because it doesn't have a component/composite input. Whereas the regular Elgato does.

I'd save the $40 and just get the HD model. Its versatility outsells a 60FPS capture rate by a wide margin in my books.

So the regular model will be able to work with the current gen systems and the previous gen just fine? If so, that's what I'll put on the list.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

chitoryu12 posted:

So the regular model will be able to work with the current gen systems and the previous gen just fine? If so, that's what I'll put on the list.

Bingo.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

All right, thanks! If this LP lasts all the way to Killzone 3, I'd be happy to try my hand at getting Shadow Fall done for you.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

chitoryu12 posted:

All right, thanks! If this LP lasts all the way to Killzone 3, I'd be happy to try my hand at getting Shadow Fall done for you.

Guess I gotta update the OP images then.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

chitoryu12 posted:

It's good stuff. You'll need some additional cables if you wanna record off of composite stuff, like an N64, but that's not terribly expensive and is easy to find at most small a/v stores.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Speaking of Shadow Fall, as someone who's played through all of 2 and 3 before it's extremely different in many ways. It's best to cover it in more detail later on, but it's a lot tighter and faster and has a little more cyberpunk to it. Because it takes place almost entirely on Vekta after the real war finished, you get to see a lot of the gleaming multi-level cities in full Playstation 4 detail and even a few limited minutes of peaceful life for the wealthy civilians. It's a bit closer to the first game in terms of environment, just without the desaturation making everything gray.

Also, one newspaper you can pick up in the game (this one includes world-building collectibles, including audio logs that play through the controller speaker) has a strangely prescient parallel to The Interview: a blockbuster featuring a popular actor sees theater chains pulling it after threats of violence. In this case, it's because of the actor being suspected of being born Helghan.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I suppose when you're evil you get a little more personal than just shooting the messenger. That was brutal.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Blind Sally posted:

Haha, I have never played MGS3, and forgot all about it. Okay, let's say I'm being generous and claim that Killzone is still in the top 5(ish) list of games that looked good on the PS2.

I'm actually pretty convinced a ton of PS2 games shared assets or something because everyone in Metal Gear, Killzone and Shadow of Destiny among others are the same shade of sickly white. Also a ton of graphical assets, trees and sand and dirt, stuff like that all had similar looks across games and genres. I guess going for realistic graphics was what did some of that.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
I don't know about the PS2 era, but considering that Guerrilla have said in interviews for KZ2 and 3 that they shared resources amongst other first party devs in order to make their games, I wouldn't be surprised if that were the case. Absolutely worth it, in my opinion, because KZ3 remains one of the nicest looking PS3 games and it doesn't have any installs and few load times.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Hey, let's talk about Killzone's music for a moment. It's really good. Like, really, really good. As an aside, in 2010, Killzone 2 became the first video game soundtrack to receive a prestigious Ivor Novello award--but we'll get to that later. Anyways crow, myself, and the other commentators talk right over everything, so it's worth going back to listen to because the soundtrack here is a brilliant bit of orchestral game music. Also, there's a lot on the OST that you'll likely never hear if you play the game because only parts of a track are used. Although, I don't know that I'm exactly selling the idea of playing Killzone HD to all of you watching it, so you should still check out the music anyways, because it's really enjoyable.

First, let's talk a little about the composer, Joris Maarten de Man aka Joris de Man aka Joe de Man aka Scavenger. He has scored the official soundtracks for the original Killzone Trilogy as well as Killzone: Liberation. Before that, though, he was a freelance composer for CD-i games, and before that he wrote Atari chip music under the name "Scavenger". Some of it is really good. Like, really, really good. Here's an example of Crapman, which was a Pac-Man knock-off without sound effects. Probably a good thing, as the music was so good. Here's a bit from his Synergy Megademo (Wicked Pixels), which includes a cover of Madness's "Our House" (kicks in at 6:56). This track here is one of my favourite bits from Wicked Pixels. Aaaand, here's one more for good measure. If you like chip music at all, it's good stuff.

Okay, onto Killzone proper. I won't be covering every track, as there are a lot of short musical snippets scoring specific small scenes. If they're particularly noteworthy, I'll point them out, but some aren't terribly memorable or are just variations of an earlier theme. Joris De Man had a particular plan in mind when he created the soundtrack. Here's a snippet from an interview to give you an idea of his creative thought process:

http://www.vgmonline.net/jorisdemaninterview/ posted:

Chris: In 2004, your breakthrough project Killzone was released to great critical acclaim and commercial success. Looking back, what elements of your orchestral score were fundamental for creating a suitable mood and dynamic for this shooter?

Joris de Man: For me the main factor was not to approach it as a shooter but almost as a film with a story and character development. As the music in the original Killzone was only used during the cutscenes and main menu music, I didn’t have to worry about the gameplay too much, but more about which themes complemented what character or story arc. So I concentrated on creating strong themes linked to characters (leitmotivs) which I could then re-use in various ways, and some of those themes have stuck and I’m still using them!

To start, we begin the game with hearing the track Intro - Birth Of War, which plays during Scolar Visari's speech and the game's opening cutscenes. Throughout it we'll first hear some of the leitmotifs that will repeat through the game.

Next is the Main Theme - Helghast March. This track plays over the main menu. It's a great track, and aside from the Birth of War, probably one of the most iconic ones. The unfortunate thing about it in Killzone 1, is that if you don't hang around the main menu for at least 6 minutes, you aren't going to get to experience the full song.

Brief detour now, before I start posting about tracks in the game proper. Since we're not past the menu yet, I want to point out some tracks that we won't really be getting a chance to hear in the LP because I've skipped past them too quickly. When you enter the stage select for either singleplayer or multiplayer, the Mission Briefing track begins to play. Seeing as the game takes a moment to fade out from Helghast March before going into Mission Briefing, I'm not even sure that they opening bars have been heard in the LP. The Mission Success track is one that has been heard in the LP videos, but not beyond the first 10 or so seconds. Lastly, I like the Mission Failure track because it plays a muted version of the leitmotif in the Helghast March. We haven't heard this track at all, so it's worth the listen.

A Mission is the track that plays when Templar first meets General Vaughton and receives the mission to locate the SD platform key. The song begins with the same leitmotif we hear in the opening bars of the Mission Success track. I consider this to essentially be the ISA's leitmotif, and by extension, Jan's leitmotif, as he's the Poster Boy for Vekta's ISA in this game. It's a very triumphant theme, much like the Helghast March them, but whereas that one is quite militaristic, I would argue that the theme here is very heroic by comparison. Anyways, I love that that as Vaughton explains the situation to Jan, the track becomes much more subdued and sinister, reflecting the ominous threat that Lente's Third Army presents.

Introducing Luger is a great theme for her, because it really sums up her character. It begins quiet and mysterious, before rapidly building to a crescendo, only to quietly fade away--much like how she is supposed to operate in game, sneaking through the shadows, striking suddenly, and fading away. The track isn't particularly heroic, which reflects her contrasting attitude to Jan's throughout the game, and it's also not a very friendly or inviting track. It's sudden, violent, and efficient, much like Luger herself.

Here's the SD Platform fanfare, simply because I absolutely love it, and it sounds like a super-villain theme, which is super fitting every time it plays and we get to see more of General Anime. Speaking of which, "Do You Believe In God?", or what I consider to be General Adams' Anime's theme, is the song that plays when Adams gives one of his many creepy speeches to Pvt. Caliban. Unlike most of the ISA characters, who have the A Mission horn fanfare appear in some form, it does not appear here. Instead, we hear a leitmotif from Birth Of War play. Specifically, it's the bit that plays when Visari is explaining how Helghan changed his people into what they are. The visuals that accompany that part of the speech are the ones of human beings in a Helghan hospital looking sick, pale, and losing hair. This cue hints at Adams' eventual betrayal, suggesting that he is "turning" into a Helghast--a concept that, of course, would make someone like General Lente scoff in derision.

Rico's theme, Rico To The Rescue, I find to be vaguely reminiscent of John Williams' score in Star Wars--fitting, considering our setting. As an ISA operative, the A Mission horn fanfare plays briefly in his theme, but it's quickly over, replaced by the more frantic and aggressive tune throughout.

Hakha's theme, "Half-Helghan, Half-Human", is appropriately menacing and foreboding, suggesting the uncertainty the team has around him when they first discover that the Helghast spy is actually a Helghast. Of course, Hakha winds up being an alright guy, but that trust is earned throughout the game. The bit that starts playing around the :30 mark plays when Luger and Templar first begin questioning Hakha, asking "whose side" he is on. If you aren't listening to these tracks with some decent speakers or headphones, this is a good one to start doing that with. The low bass that plays along with the metallic clicking sound that pans from left to right is great at setting a mood, making you wonder what side this guy really fights for.

Since that covers many of the main motifs for the game, I'm going to cut it off there. The game has a lot of tracks to it, over 40 on the OST, but a lot of them are short snippets for cutscenes. Not all are particularly memorable, but taken as a whole, the soundtrack is great piece of music, as they all fit together to tell a story. I also felt it was important to do, because Killzone 1 has been getting some much deserved flak in the last couple of updates and I wanted to at least acknowledge something that was unequivocally good about the game.

Sally fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Feb 4, 2015

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
I just replayed Killzone HD on Hard, with Rico. I think I'm going to revise my opinion. See, before I suggested that Hakha was the most useful character to beat the game on hard with. I based this on his solid stats, increased level mobility, and prowess with the game's most common weapon. However, using Rico absolutely trivialized the game's difficulty. I mean, it was easy. I died twice as Rico, and both times happened while I was playing particularly recklessly. What changes when you play as Rico that makes the game so damned easy even on Hard mode?

That chaingun. It's Rico's damned chaingun.

As long as you're being conservative with your ammunition (bursts rather than sustained fire), you'll rarely ever run out. Knowing where the ammo pick-ups were for the chaingun helped a lot too, but it was rare when I was completely dry--and even then, I always had the Helghast LMG or a Grenade Launcher as a back-up firearm. The gun does so much damage, though, it's incredible. Also, it's far more accurate than I originally gave it credit for. I was able to consistently hit targets at long range from cover using Rico's chaingun. Moreso than with my back-up gun, the good ol'LMG.

Anyways, that replay reminded me that Killzone 1 is still a lot of fun when you can just enter a fugue state of wandering around killing things.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Blind Sally posted:

Anyways, that replay reminded me that Killzone 1 is still a lot of fun when you can just enter a fugue state of wandering around killing things.

So just turn into Rico?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

At a Helghast Occupied ISA mountain base.

Enter Templar, Velasquez, Luger, Hakha, Lente, and guards. The two opposing sides meet and a brief firefight occurs. Lente (and guards) fall.

LENTE
Is it truly thou, Hakha?

VELASQUEZ
You know this guy

HAKHA
Tis but the general of the Third Army.

LENTE
And there is yet nothing else? There was a time, Hakha.
There was once a time I trusted thou with my army,
With my security, my very life and limb.

VELASQUEZ
You were chief of staff for this bastard?

HAKHA
Aye.

LENTE
Together we crushed our enemies,
Saw them driven before us,
And heard the lamentations of their women.
We were like gods--invincible, elite.
Dear Hakha, he could have been a general,
Nay, but he changed, grew soft.
Thy bleeding heart damns thee!

HAKHA
Nay, it is thee who hath changed, Lente.
Your soul, sold to a devil for a taste of power.

LENTE
And yet a hero's funeral lay in wait for me.
Your family doth not speak thy name.
Thy mother? She pretends you art dead.
None but your brother praise your name.
No longer, I fear. I had him executed.

Hakha shoots Lente

HAKHA
The uplink is thirty minutes by air. Let us away.

Exit all

Enter Adams

Stage is framed so that Adams is seen to be observing the events from a screen.

ADAMS
Ah, General Lente. What dost thou think?
Does it matter now what Visari thinks of thee?

Enter Caliban

ADAMS
Seal the platform. Double the guard.
Visitors will be approaching henceforth.

Our little squad of merry warriors has been pretty isolated from the war effort for a while now. Templar was fighting on the frontlines in the very first level, but since then we've managed to get out of the way of the Third Army's blitz. Since then we've been striking small patrols or bases that were, fortunately for us, largely empty--though perhaps that is more a fault of the game. Still, we haven't been at the forefront of the great war effort. (As an aside, this is something that will be addressed in the sequels. Killzone 2 and 3 have a number of setpieces that are fantastic at giving you the impression that you are just a single piece in a greater war effort fighting on a vast front line, attempting to push back the enemy--but we'll get to that). For the most part, we have been sneaking through Helghast-occupied territory, separate from the larger conflict. This stage helps to remind us that there is a great war at stake.

Case in point, this missile base. Our first impression and we see it's already in ruins. Inside, ISA corpses will be strewn about. The battle is already over here, but we're reminded that it rages else where by the missiles being launched.

Several missiles.

Note: the ISA logo on the missiles is the, now largely forgotten and unused, ISA sun logo that crow pointed out waaaaay back in our first few updates:

Our villains are also being re-connected with the proper war experience. Up until this point, the various Generals we've seen in the game have been separated from combat. Adams, Vaughton, Lente--like all generals, they command from behind the lines, but do not live the same experience their soldiers do, or more specifically, Jan and co's experience. After Adams' repeated mistakes, Lente believes he can stop Templar's Heroes if he led his forces from planetside.

A mistake, of course, because he only finds himself on the wrong end of their guns. As we see in the game, the shoot-out with Lente is much the same as the shoot-outs with any other Helghast. That's because Lente is no different.He is treated as a standard Helghast soldier. He's got a bit more health than standard troops, but that only means he needs a handful more bullets to put down. When he does die, it's the same as any other Helghast death, his body splaying in a most inhuman manner. There's no ceremony. No pomp. It just is.

Puns!

Why does Templar and co. win? Is it merely because we are the heroes? Of course, that is part of the answer. We are the protagonists in this narrative, so convention demands we win this boss fight. The game will not progress otherwise. It may be because we're better trained, though presumably the guards for Lente were also highly trained. No, I prefer to believe it's because our characters are more destructive. There is, of course, a massive war effort going on, and the Helghas war-machine is wreaking vast swaths of havoc across the surface of Vekta. That said, in the course of a single playthrough, your chosen main character will kill hundreds of Helghast, and dozens of their machines. As pointed out in much earlier videos, you will destroy food sources, water sources, sources of shelter, and sources of light. You are, quite simply, a destroyer of life. A sad fact, for FPS protagonists, but true nonetheless, and as we continue our way through the Killzone series, we will become even more destructive.

Crotch shot!

What I'm trying to say is, General Lente didn't stand a chance.

CJacobs

CJacobs doesn't know anything about Killzone, but enjoys long walks on the beach and shooting bulky men in the penis, so he was a good fit for this Let's Play. For more shooting things in their various extremities, watch his ongoing playthrough of Dead Space 3 Now featuring 100% more Blind Sally, nine-gear crow, and JamieTheD

CJacobs has also done a thorough Let's Play of some of Dead Space 3's stranger DLC Max Payne 3

Altman be praised!

We haven't had a chance to play with these terminals in the LP, and likely won't. I believe they only appear in two other locations besides here (one also at the Firebase in the Misty Waters chapter, and one in the mountains in the next chapter). Remember how each character was supposed to have unique gameplay segments? This is a Hakha-only moment. He can "hack" the terminals to cause Sentry Bots to target Helghast. As I've mentioned before, the changes in gameplay between characters are largely token. On occasion, they are interesting or unique, but this isn't really one of those moments.

VnD-10M Siren

It's a mounted infinite grenade launcher. Yup. Infinite. It'll overheat if you go nuts, but man. Infinite grenades! This is really the only time we get to use it. Much like the Scylla Mounted Machine Gun, this thing is super rare. Unlike the Scyllas we see in the game, they are actually located in a useful position. The biggest draw back of the Scylla, aside from its poor accuracy, is that it's almost never found in a situation where you can adequately utilize it against the enemy. So despite only appearing here, the Siren winds up being a much better and more fun mounted weapon!

Glukeose posted:

Man, the Killzone series are some of my favorite FPS games, but KZ1 definitely aged poorly.

Interesting note: The Helghast Space Nazis have another thing in common with the actual Nazis. It's mentioned by numerous characters that the Helghast Third Army is the one conducting the invasion of Vekta, and that they're well-equipped fanatical elites. The 3rd Division of the Waffen-SS, referred to as the Death's Head Division, were recruited from the ranks of concentration camp guards (the Totenkopfverband) and led by a former commandant of the Dachau concentration camp, Theodore Eick. They were such fanatical soldiers that their division was nearly wiped out on several occasions. They were also pretty notorious for their war crimes, such as the Le Paradis Massacre and a massacre in Poland. In all, sounds like Adolf Stalin Scolar Visari found himself some Totenkopf boys displaced 300+ years into the future and sicced them on Vekta.

Also, in regards to Hakha's knife: if it really is designed for "hacking" attacks, then having a big open space in the blade makes it even worse. Axes and other weapons designed for chopping and hacking have dense, solid heads so that a lot of weight is behind the edge when you swing it. Having tactical holes in your choppy knife is loving rear end-backwards.

Uhhh, 20th century warning stickers?!

Also, Caliban lives?

After a beat down like the last video, I would've thought he was dead and buried. To be honest, he I didn't realize he appeared again. He doesn't get any more speaking lines. In fact, this little scene will be the last we ever see of him. Still, crazy. Caliban lives.

biosterous posted:

Caliban lives, but he has no more lines because his jaw is wired shut :smith:

Sally fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Mar 7, 2015

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

chitoryu12 posted:

So just turn into Rico?

Pretty much.

Also, we're back! Levels are beginning to get interesting again, so this chapter is not abridged and we have a new guest! Despite not being abridged, this is an exceedingly short chapter. The shortest in the game, in fact, with only two stages. We're nearing the end of the game, though, with only two more chapters to go.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Blind Sally posted:

We're nearing the end of the game, though, with only two more chapters to go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvX_5ym_ajI

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

biosterous posted:

Adams will pay for his crimes. We will make him pay.

With video game bullets.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I'm very surprised Guerrilla reused the same character model for a different character and expected no one to notice. Either that, or it actually IS Caliban and that attack by Adams left him a brain-scrambled automaton.

Also, we kill the fucker with a grenade :ssh:.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
As we've pointed out, Guerrilla was not above using Hakha's character model for certain Helghast soldier types.

Glukeose
Jun 6, 2014

Man, the Killzone series are some of my favorite FPS games, but KZ1 definitely aged poorly.

Interesting note: The Helghast Space Nazis have another thing in common with the actual Nazis. It's mentioned by numerous characters that the Helghast Third Army is the one conducting the invasion of Vekta, and that they're well-equipped fanatical elites. The 3rd Division of the Waffen-SS, referred to as the Death's Head Division, were recruited from the ranks of concentration camp guards (the Totenkopfverband) and led by a former commandant of the Dachau concentration camp, Theodore Eick. They were such fanatical soldiers that their division was nearly wiped out on several occasions. They were also pretty notorious for their war crimes, such as the Le Paradis Massacre and a massacre in Poland. In all, sounds like Adolf Stalin Scolar Visari found himself some Totenkopf boys displaced 300+ years into the future and sicced them on Vekta.

Also, in regards to Hakha's knife: if it really is designed for "hacking" attacks, then having a big open space in the blade makes it even worse. Axes and other weapons designed for chopping and hacking have dense, solid heads so that a lot of weight is behind the edge when you swing it. Having tactical holes in your choppy knife is loving rear end-backwards.

Glukeose fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jan 26, 2015

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Ha, it should perhaps come as no surprise that the Helghast Third Army ultimately winds up being more or less wiped out by the ISA. That might be minor spoilers, but we all know the ISA invade Helghan in the next game. What else was gonna happen to the Third Army?

Also, new videos are forthcoming. There's been some conflicts with scheduling, but we'll get there. We've made it this far, haven't we?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Of all the things to nearly ruin a recording session, I did not expect it to be not realizing that my iPhone earbuds had their own microphone in them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
It all worked out in the end. Also, we now have Killzone 1 fully recorded. We are just doing some editing, and they'll be out soon, along with a bit of a bonus video. The end is in sight! Killzone will soon be over, and we will be able to ascend to the promised land of more Killzone!

• Locked thread