Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
:ohdear: You could've just flown over the blood ocean instead of swimming in it right? :ohdear:

Also,

Yvonmukluk posted:

I wonder, a three-eyed alien appeared in a mural in the classroom apparently stealing the number three, and then we found the three-eyed skull...did the aliens come and steal the third dimension?

:aaaaa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

frozentreasure posted:

Listen closely.

Listen very closely.

So I translated the text in mausoleum room, and what I got was DOTS TO DOTS. Perhaps it means a similar meaning to the phrase "dust to dust," in how the people in the game view themselves as returning to mere dots in the end. I have no idea what this has to do with our own Dot, however...

Or perhaps they gave the third dimension? :gonk:

I need to go back and start translating that village now.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

EagerSleeper posted:

I need to go back and start translating that village now.
I wish there were a way for me to automatically translate the text as it appears, but unfortunately the method for doing so relies on a program that doesn't work on 64-bit systems.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

EagerSleeper posted:

So I translated the text in mausoleum room, and what I got was DOTS TO DOTS. Perhaps it means a similar meaning to the phrase "dust to dust," in how the people in the game view themselves as returning to mere dots in the end. I have no idea what this has to do with our own Dot, however...

I just had a thought. What if that is the point of the final bit of the ending where the world slowly pixelizes into just a bunch of dots? That would fit with the whole apocalypse theme it seemed to be going for.

EagerSleeper posted:

Or perhaps they gave the third dimension? :gonk:

I said that right after that post...

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

ViggyNash posted:

I just had a thought. What if that is the point of the final bit of the ending where the world slowly pixelizes into just a bunch of dots? That would fit with the whole apocalypse theme it seemed to be going for.

That's a good point that I had not considered, but that makes me wonder why the apocalypse would happen in a time skip to the past. My own interpretation of the pixelization ending was that Gomez was zooming into the fibers/pixels that constitute his universe, and realizing their nature. And realizing that he's in the familiar past, he's seeing through the veil of time itself itself, adding the fourth dimension to his list of things he his mind has expanded to. And that fact was awesome. :drumsolo:

ViggyNash posted:

I said that right after that post...

D'oh, this is what I get for not reading more closely.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
Might redo the commentary on the first part of the video, I dunno.

Part 16: Owl Do The Talking

EagerSleeper posted:

time skip to the past

What?

ViggyNash posted:

the whole apocalypse theme

What?

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Well, it's a loose use of "apocalypse" - the world has certainly ended for one civilisation or two? given that second, ruined, village, the two-dimensional "cave-men" from the place where we first see the black-holes.

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

Those eyes! That hair! You're like a movie star! I must take your picture!
Something about Fez that I rarely see in game is this sense of pantheon and mythology. Fez is especially good at it since they don't flat out tell you what's going on, making the mystery of cosmology even more haunting.

Owls? Squid things? Sacred geometry? The 64-bit name of god?
What in tarnation is going on here?

It gives you a sense that something larger than... Well, at least larger than Gomez is going on here.
I just don't see this often enough in games.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Hmm, the first bird that comes to mind when I think parliament would be rooks, not owls. Especially since owls are more solitary than rooks.

While the stuff on owls at the end was interesting, alas only the mythological/spiritual stuff was new to me, having had seen this very informative video beforehand.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Wait for nightfall.
Wait for nightfall.

... Well, that bit of obvious-in-retrospect logic certainly explains why I struggled so much with getting my fourth owl.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

And now people who haven't played the game know what

frozentreasure posted:

Please do not say anything.
was all about - frozentreasure getting the cube bit from the owl room offscreen during the exploration half of the LP :). It worked out pretty well - after all, who's going to notice the cube bit counter skipping over at one point?

This also ties into the people earlier who were going "man, I'm stuck on 31.7 cubes, where's that last little cube bit I'm missing?"

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

The picture in painting(s) was a nice touch to add to all the other nice touches so far in this LP. Good work.

Also, Owl Chat: Images like this don't seem quite so cute any more...

HEAR THE OWLS. SEE THEIR EFFIGY. ASSEMBLE THE PARLIAMENT.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Thank you for the owl lesson.

This episode was owlful.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
One owl said "The Thirtheen Circles." Is that a typo, or something to keep in mind?

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

While I can't be 100% sure given this game, I strongly suspect it to be a typo.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
Yeah, that'd be a typo.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

The editing was really good in this episode. I liked what you did with it!

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

The time skip to the past was whenever we returned to the village with fez still on Gomez's head, after seeing the 32 cube ending.

I can't really speak for ViggyNash, but I think the apocalypse that they're talking about was whenever the village was turning increasingly pixelated.

Also, I've been pretty impressed with your video editing!

Fake edit: I don't think that owls are necessarily evil, so much as neutral bystanders in the universe. If pixel people decide to worship them, eh. If dimension warping aliens decide to step into their playground and gently caress around, eh.

Valgaav
Feb 21, 2012
I suddenly understand absolutely nothing.

That said, amazing editing work! I don't know what the gently caress is going on in the game, but you're presenting it masterfully.

GrimRevenant
Mar 28, 2011

Je Reviendrai.
Owls? Everyone is fond of owls.

code:
   ,___,
  [ O.0]
  /)__)
--''--''--

GrimRevenant fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Jan 13, 2015

copy
Jul 26, 2007

That was so far my favorite video of this LP. I like what you've done with the editing throughout but that one was handled really well, especially with regards to the picture in picture segments in the paintings.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

GrimRevenant posted:

Owls? Everyone is fond of owls.

code:
   ,___,
  [ O.0]
  /)__)
--''--''--
Dot confirmed to be either a mouse or a shrew. Or Simon Cowell.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

copy posted:

especially with regards to the picture in picture segments in the paintings.

Fwoderwick posted:

The picture in painting(s) was a nice touch

I wanted to have the videos match the scale and positions of the paintings, but masking in any version of Premiere pre-CC is weird and kind of a pain.

Valgaav posted:

I suddenly understand absolutely nothing.

Do some reading at your local library; you might learn something.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
I'm almost positive I don't understand a whole lot about the stuff happening in this game and that's okay.

Owls are still birds, and birds are jerks. Therefore owls are jerks.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

EagerSleeper posted:

I can't really speak for ViggyNash, but I think the apocalypse that they're talking about was whenever the village was turning increasingly pixelated.

Partially. It was also because the Hypercube breaks down and then explodes, and since the Hypercube seems to be some kind of god that sounds like apocalypse potential.

It's also me just trying to make something out of all the pretentious nonsense that was the ending, no matter how far fetched.

VV That too.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jan 18, 2015

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
About the apocalypse theme, didn't our cube buddy tell us the world is going to end if we fail? I thought I remember that, because it was so off-tone from the rest of the game it stood out. The black holes seemed to reinforce that.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I had to laugh at the sudden diversion into owl facts.

But I like what you're doing with the secrets. The sense of reverence, almost.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Owl's well that ends well, I suppose.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Please, no owl puns. They'll leave my head spinning.

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
between users :roboluv:
They're quite a hoot.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Hoo do you people think you are, swooping in here to post a bunch of owl puns just because the LP had a video about them? It's just my pinion, but I don't think the thread really needs to go on and on about it. Makes me wish the anti-pun rules on this board were a little more strix. I don't have platinum to talon all of you, though, so I guess I'll just have to get a hood and pellet over my eyes until the next episode comes out.

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall
Yeah, drat those people for having fun posting on a game-oriented forum, Let's Plays are totally serious business guys ! :argh:

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

legendsuper posted:

Yeah, drat those people for having fun posting on a game-oriented forum, Let's Plays are totally serious business guys ! :argh:

It's always a hoot when people take a pun-run like that seriously.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

citybeatnik posted:

It's always a hoot when people take a pun-run like that seriously.

That guy should fly away from this thread, instead of shrieking about it.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
Oh dear, it just occurred to me that I never posted these. I was waiting for the point where they wouldn't spoil anything and forgot about them.

Anyway, I got Scruffy to run through the game blind for a couple of hours for that whole "play it like someone actually would" bit that one or two people were going on about earlier in the thread.

Scruffy's First Hour With Fez

Another Hour With Fez With Scruffy

Stelas, if you're still around, feel free to puzzle out some more puzzles. One in particular I'll be very impressed if you can solve.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
I haven't been exposed to much Fez stuff and I recorded these at the end of November and mid-December. This is the entirety of my play experience with Fez, minus the intro portion. Woo I'm bad at puzzles! Except the rotating skull head I guess.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

frozentreasure posted:

Stelas, if you're still around, feel free to puzzle out some more puzzles. One in particular I'll be very impressed if you can solve.

I'd love to, but I'm in the middle of an enormous house move where I've only just reached the point where I can stop panicking!... just in time to travel 11,000 miles instead...

What I'm mostly noticing is that I'm better at identifying and spotting the things involving actual visible codes - the letter system, the number system, the obelisks with columns of shapes on them, the treasure maps. Implicit puzzles - stuff like the clock, or the skull heads - those are the things I'd probably blow straight by, especially at first glance. I need to scan back through the walkaround to check back over the suspicious rooms. (I bet I'd get real impatient waiting for the owls, too, and keep second-guessing myself on their locations.)

Stelas fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jan 24, 2015

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
It's time to solve the last puzzle in the game. For there is only one more puzzle in the game, and many anticubes tied to it.

Part 17: That Syncing Feeling

I did my best with the audio levels, since there's multiple takes at different volumes being used here. If anyone has a problem hearing some part of it or some part is really, really loud to them, let me know and I'll have another look at it.

I know I say this often, but I really recommend watching this one at 720p60 (still processing at time of posting). You're not going to want a certain part to be blurry.

Stelas posted:

Implicit puzzles I'd probably blow straight by, especially at first glance. I need to scan back through the walkaround to check back over the suspicious rooms.

Observatory. I'll give you that one for free.

Doesn't mean what you think it means.

frozentreasure fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Feb 13, 2015

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Ugh, that goddamn foundry room. As someone who is Bad At Spinning Blocks, I gave it about 20 minutes of trying to get it genuinely, then said gently caress it and turned on flight to sail to the top.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valgaav
Feb 21, 2012
A++ pun work in the foundry. Also, i felt even more unwelcome there than I did the mausoleum. I was half expecting another "We shouldn't be here, Gomez" situation.

I assume that flight is disabled in there? Or were you just giving it a fair shake?

Oh, what? They hid a cube in the achievements?!

Well, that bit with the error was cool as hell. I was already planning to praise your editing work in cutting between places, but the...remix, for lack of a better term, in there was superb.

Aww, you're not going to show off the 64 cube door there before you do the ending?

Speaking of, having watched it, i now understand everything. This game is trying to make you think it's deeper than it is at every turn. Not uncommon, just unwelcome. The owls, the aliens, the endings, all of it is just sort of there to make you think there's something more going on than a cute little collect-a-thon. Bravo. I was taken in.

• Locked thread