Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HaroldofTheRock
Jun 3, 2003

Pillbug
I made an extra video concerning Maria:
:siren:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDK0uYSS24I

BlazeEmblem posted:

In this video, Melissa used the A.S. shield. This was from Yggdra Union, where the Archangel Marietta used it in her fight, where it blocked all skills from activating until she ran out of Morale, where it turned into the S. shield, which blocked all skills except for the Crusade card, allowing you to finally kill her. I don't think it was stated anywhere, but I assume that A.S. stands for "All Skill" and S. stands for "Skill".

Now this is really interesting to me. I could not figure out what A.S. Shield could mean...although I can say if you're trying to dodge stuff and steal a glance at Melissa while she's doing it, you first read it as "rear end Shield". But it's cool to see continuity/nods between the games. I finished Gungnir a while back, and while I loved the gameplay, I didn't notice too many greater lore details (though Elise's moments were awesome. Elise is awesome.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

So I'm watching the video and I got to the EX skill image. I read the text, and thought that it was a bit lazy to have the words from the intro in there, but whatever. However, then I looked at the picture and thought "That sort of looks familiar... wait, no... they wouldn't, right?"

So I consulted my copy of the Tome of Lost souls and... yep. Page 86, for those with the book and having already played the game.

Edit: Also, I mentioned earlier that the EX attack is based on the Angelic Thunder attack from Marietta in Yggdra Union and Riviera, and here is a video to show it. Note the positions that she is in, not the attack itself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uutJUvNsR7Q

(GBA, because the only PSP video I found was an LP where the guy was talking)

BlazeEmblem fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Nov 17, 2015

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Maria Bonus posted:

"Ex Skill" is a little awkward

It's most likely short for "Execution Skill", as this abbreviation was used for Ein's Disaresta and playable Ledah's Lost Seraph back in Riviera.

Edit: Apparently I fail Perception.

AweStriker fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Nov 17, 2015

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

AweStriker posted:

It's most likely short for "Execution Skill", as this abbreviation was used for Ein's Disaresta and playable Ledah's Lost Seraph back in Riviera.

It says right there when you use it that it stands for "Extra". Riviera used "EXL", for "Execution Level".

HaroldofTheRock
Jun 3, 2003

Pillbug
:siren::siren:UPDATE: Scene 31: Deep into the Night:siren::siren:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttYeQu_9CgU

Knights we recruited last time:
None!

Boss fight from last time time before last: Cardinal Capehorn

Illustrator Kiyuduki posted:

We made his clothing, his accessories, and his weapons more luxurious because he’s one of the grander bosses, but when those weren’t enough, we added that object on his back. There’s other bosses higher up than him who can’t really fit on paper. *laugh*

Game Designer Ito posted:

We decided to make him quite old to justify him being able to talk about events way in the past. This also helps explain why characters like Leonil and Aquina could be so quick to obey him.

BlazeEmblem posted:

So I'm watching the video and I got to the EX skill image. I read the text, and thought that it was a bit lazy to have the words from the intro in there, but whatever. However, then I looked at the picture and thought "That sort of looks familiar... wait, no... they wouldn't, right?"

So I consulted my copy of the Tome of Lost souls and... yep. Page 86, for those with the book and having already played the game.

Edit: Also, I mentioned earlier that the EX attack is based on the Angelic Thunder attack from Marietta in Yggdra Union and Riviera, and here is a video to show it. Note the positions that she is in, not the attack itself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uutJUvNsR7Q

(GBA, because the only PSP video I found was an LP where the guy was talking)

It's actually the image on page 84, but you have to mirror the image shown in game: http://lpix.org/2287105/5 mirrored.png The attack animation...well I'll withhold comments until we get a little later in the game (but I'm sure you know what I'm going to say :)).

AweStriker posted:

Edit: Apparently I fail Perception.

Me too! :hfive: On the topic of Riviera...man, I can really appreciate what the game is and does, but I'm trying to slog through it and ugh. I really have to be in the mood to play it.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

HaroldofTheRock posted:

It's actually the image on page 84, but you have to mirror the image shown in game: http://lpix.org/2287105/5 mirrored.png The attack animation...well I'll withhold comments until we get a little later in the game (but I'm sure you know what I'm going to say :)).

You're right! Thanks, that makes so much more sense, since the picture I thought it was had no connection to Maria, making me really confused.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Knights in the Nightmare, everyone is bitter and broken.

Except knights and Leonil, they get too much of a kick out of unlife/life.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

:science: This is the power of my magic!

...I have to admit, I got a chuckle out of that "by the way, Caline needs more vitality! :razz:" ... and then the guy gets sacrificed without a word.

HaroldofTheRock
Jun 3, 2003

Pillbug
:siren::siren:UPDATE: Scene 32: The Accursed Ones:siren::siren:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGOWJdWVkcc

Knight we recruited last time
Misleen Eri Berton of the 7th Order

”Though I am a knight, I fear to harm others…”
Class: Priestess
Atlus.com say this of Misleen:
”A low ranking priestess whose frailty proves her undoing in physical tasks. She keeps a supply of medicinal herbs at her side.”
The Tome of Lost Souls says:
Dusk Requiem
“She did not enter knighthood to fight, but rather, she wants to help those in need. Misleen is a somewhat sickly girl who has been relying on Yantana’s herbs her whole life. It pains her that her body is so weak because she wishes she could help more people. She and Kulich have been good friends since before joining the knights.”

Misleen was in the Crypt when monsters appeared

vilkacis posted:

...I have to admit, I got a chuckle out of that "by the way, Caline needs more vitality! :razz:" ... and then the guy gets sacrificed without a word.

Haha poo poo, I was going more for a serious "you know what that means..." vibe. You were gently sobbing as you laughed, right? :v:

There will be a delay before next update due to the US Thanksgiving holiday. See you guys next week!

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Have a good one.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

HaroldofTheRock posted:

Haha poo poo, I was going more for a serious "you know what that means..." vibe. You were gently sobbing as you laughed, right? :v:

I have to admit, I thought it was supposed to be funny as well.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10
Good thing the key items stick around so long. Can you actually even miss one if you just let it sit on the screen until the round is over, or does vacuum into the wisp in that case, or maybe get stuffed back into the next spawn of the object it came from?

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Felinoid posted:

Good thing the key items stick around so long. Can you actually even miss one if you just let it sit on the screen until the round is over, or does vacuum into the wisp in that case, or maybe get stuffed back into the next spawn of the object it came from?

Yes, you can miss one if you let it stay on the screen if you end the round by being hit, as that prevents the vacuum effect. I don't know what would happen in other cases.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Yes, Medicine.
It's for her Glaucoma, see?

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Well it wasn't so much that I thought it was supposed to be funny as me deciding to laugh inappropriately.

No sobbing, bring on the soul transfers :unsmigghh:

...That was a pretty magnificent beard we recruited. He'll probably make good transfer material, too.

HaroldofTheRock
Jun 3, 2003

Pillbug
Hey guys, sorry for the lack of updates. Real life has gotten a little crazy, but I hope to record more soon.

Felinoid posted:

So the way it works is:

If you miss the key item and end the round, you can vacuum it up as BlazeEmblem described, as long as the key item is within a certain distance, and the round ends because you used up your last bit of time charging and delivering a hit. If you are struck by an attack that depletes the last of your time, the wisp sort of explodes and all items on the screen are lost.

In that event, the object that the key item came from needs to respawn, as you guessed. So if it was still in the fragile status, you need to destroy it with a warrior and wait for it to respawn. Hopefully you have enough rounds to wait for it to come back, and hopefully it wasn't an object that needs to respawn to bring a second key item, because that second one won't come until the first is collected.

Interestingly, in the PSP version, the wisp has the vacuum effect when an attack lands, so gems and items get sucked in as long as you're nearby. You don't get that in the DS version.

There is another wild card. This dickhead:

The goblin enemy has an ability to ruin your day. The barrel next to that guy has a key item. Opening the barrel causes the key item to come out, of course:

The goblin takes note and reaches into his pot...

Out pops a magic hand that rushes towards the item...

and grabs it.

The hand returns to the goblin and goes into his pot

...and the goblin gloats over his new item

However, Frances sees the whole thing and give the goblin a piece of her mind:

which kills the goblin, releasing the key item as well as a weapon matching the goblin's element:

If we fail to kill the goblin that round, the key item vanishes into the ether and must respawn with the object it appeared in.

There was a video not too long ago where I failed to notice a key item pop out, but a goblin's reaction tipped me off and I was able to snatch it before his magic hand got to it.

I am 100% sure I read somewhere that this goblin enemy and his actions are most likely a reference to some kind of Asian mythological creature, but I cannot find it for the life of me...maybe someone knows about it?

HaroldofTheRock
Jun 3, 2003

Pillbug
:siren::siren:UPDATE: Scene 33: The Forsaken Race. Clash with Vilgo the Immortal:siren::siren:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rZOKdLbdiY

Knights we recruited last time:

Mahmoud Gary Murdock of the 8th Order

”The confidence I placed in myself and my magic was reckless…”
Class: Wizard
Atlus.com say this of Mahmoud:
”He is hailed through the kingdom for his expertise in magic. Before disaster struck, he never doubled his skills would serve the kingdom’s best interests.”
Solemn Ancient
“Once an arrogant and reckless mage, he was known for being cold and unmerciful towards others. However, when his prized student, Baltar, lost respect for his master and left, Mahmoud began to see the error of his ways. After reforming, he vowed to never again take on any disciples, much to Pilgrim’s chagrin.”

Mahmoud was in the Royal Crypt when monsters appeared

Rondine Lex Oh Dias of the 7th Order

”The Cardinal’s reckless behavior ends now!”
Class: Warrior
Atlus.com say this of Rondine:
”A military hero with a long-standing record of victories; he is the very epitome of a knight. He and Morozof can often be found in the tavern together.”
Enduring Warden
“A veteran of numerous battles, he is one of the most well-respected knights in the kingdom. Rondine is passionate about weaponry, and surprisingly, he is very self-sufficient, opting to take care of all his own cooking, cleaning, and laundry. Unfortunately, he has yet to finish paying off his debt to the tavern for the many nights of drinking he and Morozof spent together...”

Rondine's reaction to Algiery being charged with treason

HaroldofTheRock fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Dec 22, 2015

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

You have to wonder what everyone wants with the king's body. The battles so far have made it clear that the real power is in the king's soul, so what would having the body do?

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Oh, I think you know why

Actually looking forward to finding that out. :v:

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

I can't believe Hilgard is a spoiler hound.

e: Sacchito is supposed to be pronounced "saw-key-toe", and I've always read Mehse as "may-za" since it seemed vaguely Germanic.

AweStriker fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Dec 14, 2015

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

vilkacis posted:

Oh, I think you know why

Actually looking forward to finding that out. :v:

I just realized that most of the characters that want the king's body are women (Algiery, Yelma, Princess Alier, and possibly Sacchito). Thanks for that mental image.

The Gentlemieu
Jan 1, 2013
Soiled Meat

BlazeEmblem posted:

I just realized that most of the characters that want the king's body are women (Algiery, Yelma, Princess Alier, and possibly Sacchito). Thanks for that mental image.

They're jealous of his awesome beard and want to wear it themselves, obviously. And you're welcome for that mental image.

HaroldofTheRock
Jun 3, 2003

Pillbug
:siren::siren:UPDATE: Scene 34: Descendants of Dragons:siren::siren:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkTkuV7n9R4

Natalie K. Sinclaire of the 7th Order

”Hope…should be a priority. It makes you work harder.”
Class: Hermit
Atlus.com say this of Natalie:
”Though young, she is a highly independent knight who takes action when it is required of her. This stems from her upbringing in an orphanage.”
Enlightened One
“She is a shy, modest young woman. Growing up as an orphan, she has seen her share of harsh times. Natalie looks after Lakshmi, a fellow orphan, and she bears a striking resemblance to Chester’s deceased sister, Lutecia.”

Natalie was present in the Royal Crypt when the monsters arrived. She was ordered to flee, but apparently didn’t get far.

The Gentlemieu posted:

They're jealous of his awesome beard and want to wear it themselves, obviously. And you're welcome for that mental image.

:stare:

Seriously though, the corpse is an interesting subject. Zolgonark has concluded that the true power of the Arbitrator is in his "lineage", which I guess means his physical bloodline or something? Maria, who I trust to be pretty informed, made a point to say "Find your body! You cannot let them have it..." so she seems to think there's merit. To be honest I don't remember the story well enough to say. But let's say the corpse really does contain at least some power...it raises the question: what about the prince? Shouldn't his body hold power as well?

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

The Mehse live forever and their bodies rot away with time, but they can be killed, so yes Vilgo is dead.

Also, Vilgo makes the boss name theme obvious, being only one letter different than Virgo.
Of course, this next boss is one of the few that isn't part of the theme :).

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Man, I just can't take Vilgo seriously at all. With Harold pronouncing his race's name as "the Miis" (personally, I went with meh-seh, but who knows), and his Rage move looking so cartoony and silly when it was probably meant to be scary...apart from the fact that his "immortal" title is not very impressive when he can be killed, so there was a very easy answer to the immortality problem...yeah, I can't take him seriously at all.

That said I'm not exactly in favour of killing a little girl to cure her immortality, but I guess nothing's stopping the trail of corpses Wilmgard's leaving behind. It won't be rich, powerful priests, and it definitely won't be opressed minorities. Because that's how King W rolls.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

That's a pretty gross special move, in a metal kind of way :rock::hf::barf:

Given the recent narration, it doesn't seem as if the wisp in its current state is capable of really caring who or why it fights. If it wanted to, it could probably float off and ignore most of the enemies so far, but there's only been one exception to the "get in my way, get moved" philosophy - and that was when the wisp couldn't move the opponent.

:munch:

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

vilkacis posted:

Given the recent narration, it doesn't seem as if the wisp in its current state is capable of really caring who or why it fights. If it wanted to, it could probably float off and ignore most of the enemies so far, but there's only been one exception to the "get in my way, get moved" philosophy - and that was when the wisp couldn't move the opponent.

:munch:

I think the creaking narrator is just speculating on what the wisp is thinking. We have only gotten the creaking narrator's thoughts on the wisp - the only times we have seen the wisp communicate in some way are his early interactions with Maria. Those interactions show that he has some awareness of what is going on, but not to what extent.

HaroldofTheRock
Jun 3, 2003

Pillbug
:siren::siren:UPDATE: Scene 35: The Outcasts of Old. Clash with the Witch Vienna:siren::siren:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcnpVE5uxi8

Vishna Elle Alestie of the 8th Order

”I will execute my duties without fail.”
Class: Hermit
Atlus.com say this of Vishna:
”Known as a vicious warrior of few words, her loyalty lies with the Cardinal. She carries out his orders without question, yet finds discontent in his allegiances.”
Unseen Wanderer
“Loyal to Cardinal Capehorn, she is a responsible and capable fighter. However, she dislikes how much praise the Cardinal gives to Yelma. She used to let her emotions get the best of her, but one day long ago, a close friend of hers met with an untimely tragedy because Vishna was unable to react in time. Now, she is stern and detached. Vishna considers General Morozof to be her arch-nemesis.”

Vishna accepting orders to follow and monitor Yelma.

Boss fight from last time

Game Designer Ito posted:

I wanted to design him to convey the state of someone whose mind and body have been taken over by darkness, who carries a grudge as one of the Westkin, and who has been exposed to miasma. He’s the elder who’s not allowed to die and who burns with thoughts of revenge. I wanted him to look rich, visually.

For what it's worth, I think the Wisp knows what's going on, or at the very least he understands enough that he should be held responsible for his actions. When Maria said "Don't let them get to your body!" he made a beeline for the crypt; he knows what he's doing.

Blaze Dragon posted:

Man, I just can't take Vilgo seriously at all. With Harold pronouncing his race's name as "the Miis"

Sorry about this! Please, if I'm pronouncing something stupidly, let me know ASAP so hopefully I can mitigate the damage I'm doing :v:

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Vienna may be a weak boss, but at least her fight is memorable due to her rage move. I can't say that for some other bosses we have faced.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

HaroldofTheRock posted:

Sorry about this! Please, if I'm pronouncing something stupidly, let me know ASAP so hopefully I can mitigate the damage I'm doing :v:

AweStriker posted:

Sacchito is supposed to be pronounced "saw-key-toe" (as the original kana are サキト, "sakito"), and I've always read Mehse as "may-za" since it seemed vaguely Germanic (but can't check that one).

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

AweStriker posted:

and I've always read Mehse as "may-za" since it seemed vaguely Germanic (but can't check that one).

It's メーセ, if you want to guess what they might have been going for

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Polsy posted:

It's メーセ, if you want to guess what they might have been going for

That's "me-se" so it actually is pretty close, yes.

HaroldofTheRock
Jun 3, 2003

Pillbug
Hey guys, just a status update on the LP. It will be at least next week before another update, possibly later. We're down to the last 12 stages, so the story should be tying up before too long. See you then!

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Have a nice break, you deserve it.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So... the Westkin were being enslaved to build the Tower of the West? Or the Westkin were being enslaved, and the Tiamats helped them build the Tower of the West on the down-low, or possibly the up-high?

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Glazius posted:

So... the Westkin were being enslaved to build the Tower of the West? Or the Westkin were being enslaved, and the Tiamats helped them build the Tower of the West on the down-low, or possibly the up-high?

The Westkin built the first tower on their own, and the Tiamats helped with the second one. I don't know if the Tiamats helped with the first as well. The purpose for both towers was to get high enough to reach Asgard, or at least get Asgard to notice it since it was so big. The Westkin were hoping that Asgard would side with them against the kingdom, but that seems unlikely - Asgard knew that the King was the Arbitrator, so they likely would have sided with the kingdom if they took a side.

Although, for the first tower, and the second tower, Asgard destroyed it because they took it as an affront to them, similar to the Tower of Babel from the Book of Genesis.

HaroldofTheRock
Jun 3, 2003

Pillbug
Yes, that is correct. One thing to note is that the Glevnier kingdom (Wilmgard's kingdom) definitely knew about the tower; we saw the patrolling knights on the watchtower lose their poo poo when it blew up. That happened in the autumn, and we were told recently that the king learned of the Westkin's enslavement right before the tower was completed (ergo right before it blew up). So the timeline is:

Westkin begin building tower with Tiamats' help
King learns about Westkin's plight in autumn
Tower blows up
King goes on his kingdom tour
King arrives home in late winter
King gets killed by Melissa

So Wilmgard didn't really have a chance to address the slavery thing, but I think it's implied he would've taken steps to fix it.

Also, there are some interesting considerations as far as what the greater lore of the Dept Heaven series implies, but we'll save that for another time.

Anyway, regarding the state of the LP:

I have some real life stuff to deal with. I'm still working on the LP, but in smaller snips here and there. So videos are going to come out slowly. But I wanted to get the consensus with the thread: how do people feel about the plot? Should I do another plot recap? Note that the plot recaps took me the longest to do by far, so it will be slow going. But as we go into the last leg of the game, I could do probably a single plot recap if people need a refresher.

What do people prefer I work on? A new gameplay video (will be slow going), or a new plot recap (will be really slow going)?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I don't think the plot recap is that neccesary, and it'll slow down things even more, so just continuing with the game is the better idea in my opinion.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

A new gameplay video. You are close enough to the end that it would be easier just to finish the game instead of making a recap. Besides, at this point, every non-boss stage is fairly short, as if the developers wanted players to rush through the rest of the game as fast as they could.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HaroldofTheRock
Jun 3, 2003

Pillbug
The people have spoken!

:siren::siren:UPDATE: Scene 36: In Possession of the Body :siren::siren:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bt2igM6nJ3w

Otto L.O. Croney of the 12th Order

”The strong will survive. That’s all there is to it.”
Class: Lance Knight
Atlus.com say this of Otto:
”A bitter, anti-social man who refuses to trust anyone. Rumors abound that the Cardinal has paid him off.”
Devious Dragon
“The loss of his love, Lutecia, turned him into a bitter and pessimistic man. He is gruff and often anti-social, trusting no one except Hagen and Sarland. Otto does not care about the methods undertaken in order to accomplish a mission. He has mixed feelings towards Natalie, who looks a lot like Lutecia.

Boss fight from last time: Vienna the Ashen

Illustrator Kiyuduki posted:

For some reason, since the time of Yggdra Union, witch character designs tend to receive approval without requiring many modifications. However, for her, the orders I was initially given were a little strange. “Design a witch named Vienna and her familiar, Monya.” *laugh* I remember imagining a strong-minded girl and her soothing familiar spirit when I heard the names, but for some reason, I decided to design the opposite of what I’d imagined. I came up with an introverted girl and an erratic familiar. Sometime after the designs got the okay, the familiar’s name was revised too.

HaroldofTheRock fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Feb 1, 2016

• Locked thread