Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
Intersection in question

EDIT: Btw, I didn't get a ticket or anything. I just see traffic stop for the school bus there from time to time, and I wasn't sure if they were supposed to.

Sir Lucius fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Apr 29, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
Are there any good cop memoirs/books? I read Edaward Conlon's Blue Blood and David Simon's A Year on the Killing Streets, the latter one being really great.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

ManOfTheYear posted:

Are there any good cop memoirs/books? I read Edaward Conlon's Blue Blood and David Simon's A Year on the Killing Streets, the latter one being really great.

http://www.amazon.com/True-Stories-Lowcountry-Cop-Charleston/dp/1596293039

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Sir Lucius posted:

Intersection in question

EDIT: Btw, I didn't get a ticket or anything. I just see traffic stop for the school bus there from time to time, and I wasn't sure if they were supposed to.

No you don't need to stop. MD law says you can keep on driving if you're separated by a median.

http://mhso.mva.maryland.gov/SafetyPrograms/program_kids.htm

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
Copgoons, what are your thoughts on http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2014/08/19/338895262/mental-health-cops-help-reweave-social-safety-net-in-san-antonio ?

Branis
Apr 14, 2006
It is imperative that we treat people with mental health issues better from a law enforcement perspective, but that article is right, we receive almost no training on the subject. I'd prefer to see a full time 24/7 unit of actual mental health professionals with LE backing doing this kind of work than cops with a few weeks extra training, but every little bit helps. Of course all the extra training in the world doesn't matter when the only place for a homeless mentally ill person to get any sort of help is in jail.

ManOfTheYear posted:

http://www.amazon.com/BOOT-Officers...ookie+year+boot

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?

It's a good program, and several jurisdictions have been creating similar positions. Would never work here though, because if an officer takes someone for an involuntary evaluation they are at the hospital 6+ sometimes 12 hours or more. Now after just two calls our entire special squad if unavailable, and patrol is back at handling all the mental health related calls.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

quote:

In theory the drones do add a lot of options. Tranquilizer darts become a real possibility for fleeing subjects, because you can sit around and wait to see if a small dose takes affect. Nets are possible. A glue gun to could stick the suspect in place. You can also just keep a patrol car at a distance and wait for the suspect to get tired.

A more radical approach would be to take the beat cops' guns away and put lethal force only in the hands of a small subset of highly trained officers.

None of that is very likely with todays police but there's no reason that drones couldn't be used to decrease police shootings and collateral damage.

Well?!

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Bring it on, I'll gladly fly the tranq gun attack helo.

Branis
Apr 14, 2006
lol

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

Are you quoting from BSS?

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Grem posted:

Are you quoting from BSS?

You're so far off.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.
Why don't we get rid of police altogether? I mean really, what do they do besides generate revenue and kill black people?

If someone actually commits a crime, the victim can just contact their local state's attorney office who can get a warrant and the suspect can voluntarily turn himself into the court of jurisdiction.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

Rad Lieutenant posted:

Bring it on, I'll gladly fly the tranq gun attack helo.

Me too but I insist they all have HD cameras coaxially mounted with Tasers and I'm allowed to post the video online.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

Why don't we get rid of police altogether? I mean really, what do they do besides generate revenue and kill black people?

If someone actually commits a crime, the victim can just contact their local state's attorney office who can get a warrant and the suspect can voluntarily turn himself into the court of jurisdiction.

literally_what_sedanchair_believes.txt

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

literally_what_sedanchair_believes.txt

I understand his fear of police as a black member of society.

Kiryen
Feb 25, 2015

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

This is especially effective in murder cases.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Mr. Nice! posted:

that guy is as black as me aka lily white breh

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
:thejoke:

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

We go by the one-drop rule though

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

SedanChair black

Branis
Apr 14, 2006
paper bag test

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Mr. Nice! posted:

I get this joke!

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Here's a question: there have been a few cases recently where a prisoner insisted that they couldn't breathe, or needed a doctor, or were otherwise in distress, and the sheriffs basically laughed them off. Do a certain percentage of people you detain insist that the cuffs are too tight or otherwise act like they're dying, to the point that people start to tune it out, or were these sheriffs just shitheels?

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Everyone claims the handcuffs are too tight. It's just a thing people do. Handcuffs are inherently uncomfortable. Sometimes I'll loosen them up a little, other times I'll let it roll. I'll always at least give them a pinky check to see that there's some wiggle room to them.

I don't mess with claimed injuries though. It's not worth it. I'll let the ambulance tell me they're not actually hurt.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
What's the saddest call you've ever worked? A relative told me a story once of a guy who was caught drinking the beers inside a walk-in cooler at a gas station. Really old guy who had been kicked out by a family member that night, didn't have any money, so he decided to drink his cares away and not give a gently caress. My family member decided to be nice to him, and told him that if they could find a family member of his willing to pay $20 for the beer he owed, and take him in for the night to sleep off his inebriation, he'd let him go with a warning. They drove around and visited his wife, his brother, his son, and his grandson. Two wouldn't answer the door, one refused to pay twenty bucks, and the last told the old man to go gently caress himself. Family member said he'd never felt worse about throwing somebody in the drunk tank than that sad old man.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?

Dead Reckoning posted:

Here's a question: there have been a few cases recently where a prisoner insisted that they couldn't breathe, or needed a doctor, or were otherwise in distress, and the sheriffs basically laughed them off. Do a certain percentage of people you detain insist that the cuffs are too tight or otherwise act like they're dying, to the point that people start to tune it out, or were these sheriffs just shitheels?

Like 90% of people arrested complain about the handcuffs or associated pain like hand, wrist, arms, etc. Handcuffs are not designed for comfort and for people not accustomed to the feeling it can be a "pain". Like Whip said if someone complains about it you give it a quick check. More than likely though the arrestee is actually causing themselves more pain by the position they chose to put their hands or body.

Had a drunk chick the other night who kept "fainting" and hyperventilating screaming for medical attention. Was seen by a doctor, called a liar straight to her face by an MD and swiftly taken to jail. People sometimes believe faking a medical issue would get them out of lock up, or in her case a hit and run DUI. Generally better to be safe than sorry though and get it checked. If it's legit, then they receive the proper medical care and attention as required.

You'd be surprised how many people come down with sudden unexplained medical conditions after being arrested. I've seen several people request EMS and after being evaluated find out they will be on hook for the medical bills and are still going to jail immediately stop whatever they were doing and go "ok just take me".

Captain Bravo posted:

What's the saddest call you've ever worked?

Kids :(. Child abuse, as in physical, sexual, emotional, etc. are always the worst. Another is notifying family of a deceased family member. Whether it's because they were located in a house after they hadn't answered the phone for a few days, or you are just coming from a scene where they had been shot to death and have to let them know, etc.

Untagged fucked around with this message at 09:20 on May 1, 2015

USMC503
Jan 15, 2012

For satisfactory performance while under the effects of hostile enemy alcohol.
So the WaPo put out this article.

Does this seem plausible to you guys, or does it, in your opinion, seem more than likely some sort of spin to claim reasonable doubt?

Branis
Apr 14, 2006
all I know is if you look at that dudes criminal history its a perfect example of why we need to end the drug war

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.

USMC503 posted:

So the WaPo put out this article.

Does this seem plausible to you guys, or does it, in your opinion, seem more than likely some sort of spin to claim reasonable doubt?

A couple weeks ago I arrested a combative drunk who was the passenger in a car with a DUI driver (who was also arrested). When we got him into the holding cell, we started hearing loud pounding. We ran in to see what was going on and he was bashing his head against the wall repeatedly. We had to restrain him and literally babysit him until we could bond him out.

Dead Reckoning posted:

Everyone complains about the handcuffs, they complain about any force we have to use at all to restrain or control them. I have no problem calling paramedics when my prisoner claims he has been injured or is in distress, but I always tell them that if they're lying, they're going to be out over a thousand bucks for a fake ambulance ride and ER visit and that's usually enough to get them to back down.

Oddly enough, the people that claim to have injuries or be in pain are the ones that always seem to fight or resist the most. In the DUI arrest I mentioned above, when I tried to arrest the driver he refused to put his hands behind his back and it took two of us to control each arm and forcefully get him into cuffs, the whole time he was yelling about having a busted shoulder, etc.

Claiming a medical emergency does not get you out of an arrest. On the few occasions when there was an actual medical issue and the prisoner was transported to the ER, we would just remand them to the custody of the ER doctor and then get warrants the following day. If it's a felony arrest, we try to station an officer with the prisoner at the hospital until they're released.

Branis posted:

all I know is if you look at that dudes criminal history its a perfect example of why we need to end the drug war

Yes, he's a real contributor to the community I'm sure. Why can't people just sell their drugs and destroy families and communities in peace?

The Shep fucked around with this message at 10:55 on May 1, 2015

Branis
Apr 14, 2006
he was hosed from birth, but a world in which we don't criminalize drugs and instead legalize some and regulate them along with some actual restorative justice instead of just sending them to criminal MBA school means that kids in the future won't grow up thinking that a lifestyle of crime is the way to get the capitalist dream.

Kiryen
Feb 25, 2015

Dead Reckoning posted:

Illegal aliens always do this sort of thing. They run like the wind when you chase them, but as soon as you get hold of them it's all "AGUA SENOR, AGUA POR FAVOR!" because the proximity of a green uniform means they instantly start dying of dehydration. Sometimes they do this while still struggling to get away when you don't even have the cuffs out yet. The ones that are too fat will "faint". It's like a contest of you get close to a group of overweight females because they'll all start "fainting" but whichever one falls to the ground first the others will suddenly "recover" and start begging for help for the fainting one.

The other thing they'll do is lay on the ground right in front of you and shut their eyes and pretend you aren't talking to them when you tell them to "levantate!" They just flop their like a rag doll. The first time it happened I was at a loss how to get one on her feet. Eventually I guess she realized I wasn't going to decide she was dead and go away and gave up. My FTO explained later that some of them actually think that if they shut their eyes and play dead, you can't see them and will go away like a bear rejecting spoiled meat.

Branis posted:

he was hosed from birth, but a world in which we don't criminalize drugs and instead legalize some and regulate them along with some actual restorative justice instead of just sending them to criminal MBA school means that kids in the future won't grow up thinking that a lifestyle of crime is the way to get the capitalist dream.

You're not wrong about the drugs and the nature of the prison system, but we also need to stop excusing people with ideas like "hosed from birth". People are people and will always game the system - if you give them excuses to make, they will make excuses.

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

A couple weeks ago I arrested a combative drunk who was the passenger in a car with a DUI driver (who was also arrested). When we got him into the holding cell, we started hearing loud pounding. We ran in to see what was going on and he was bashing his head against the wall repeatedly. We had to restrain him and literally babysit him until we could bond him out.

You were obviously depriving him of his rights by not letting him injure himself so he could complain about police brutality later.

Kiryen fucked around with this message at 15:51 on May 1, 2015

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

Kiryen posted:

some of them actually think that if they shut their eyes and play dead, you can't see them and will go away
:kiddo: illegal aliens melting my heart ITT

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

Dead Reckoning posted:

In my experience? Probably like 75% of the people I've used force on have falsely claimed to be injured or screamed something like "please stop hurting me I haven't done anything" or "I can't breathe" while they're literally fighting with me as I try to arrest them. Experienced cons all know that if they make the scene look good for the cameras their chances of getting away increase a little bit, but there's zero downside to play acting so why not? I think a large part of it is hoping they'll be fighting a soft or inexperienced officer who will ease up on them if they complain, which gives them room to fight harder or escape.

I had a woman tell me I dislocated her shoulder after a standup armbar into a wall. I've played football and wrestled and snowboarded my whole life. I've seen and heard lots of dislocated shoulders and she didn't have one. But I still ask them twice if they need medical attention. She said yes so I called EMS, they checked her out and confirmed she was full of poo poo. Nobody in that entire event was surprised - least of all her. When they told us she wasn't injured she didn't even bother to feign disappointment or surprise. She just sat there looking bored waiting to get transported to cells.

My rule is that if anyone complains about an injury, once they are secured I will ask about injuries and call EMS if they request it or they have visible injuries. I'm not going to stop the fight because they're crying. Too many liars.

Edit: I guess I'll address the "I can't breathe" statement too - I've choked people out before in BJJ and wrestling practise, as well as just dicking around in elementary school. I'm comfortable determining whether someone actually can't breathe or whether they're faking it during a fight. But not everyone has that experience, so I think that's where mistakes are made. There's so much misinformation about how the body works, that makes it tough to get the right information to the guys who are making these calls in the middle of a fight.

DrakeriderCa fucked around with this message at 16:03 on May 1, 2015

Whale Cancer
Jun 25, 2004

That's why you apply a blood choke. "I can't breathe!" Oh yes you can but you're about to go out anyway.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
Haha, yeah. Our use of force instructors taught us carotid restrictions because airway restrictions are dangerous. :ironicat:

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

drat, all BPD officers charged. I didn't see that coming. :stare:

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
Is it possible the decision to charge them was influenced by politics?

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Cole posted:

Is it possible the decision to charge them was influenced by politics?

It's Baltimore. Everything has to do with politics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reign Of Pain
May 1, 2005

Nap Ghost
Is any of the poo poo in this article true?

http://www.cracked.com/personal-experiences-1594-5-ugly-realities-life-as-cop-law-order-wont-show.html

quote:

Here's a fun fact: The police aren't required to tell you the truth. That may seem lovely (and it certainly can be), but a talent for telling thunderous falsehoods is vital for police work. One of our ex-cop sources, Bill, explained how helpful he'd found bullshittery in his career:

"I've told folks with active warrants that they weren't under arrest, that I was a special escort for a meeting with an elected judge, and that they only had to wear handcuffs because it is department policy. It's far easier to lie someone into cuffs and jail than it is to fight them or chase them, no matter how funny some chases get. I've even convinced a man high on PCP -- while stark naked, of course -- that he was actually playing a video game and he gets a triple score if he puts on leg cuffs. I've never seen someone get both feet in the cuffs at once on the first try before, nor since."

The other source, Sam, also knew the value of creative mendacity:

"One of my favorite tactics was one my partner used. 'I'm just trying to clear out this report,' he told the suspect. 'I promise you're not going to jail tonight; I just need to know what happened.' So when she confessed to the crime, he filed a warrant and she was picked up a few days later."

quote:

#3. Cops Play Insane -- And Absurdly Dangerous -- Pranks On Each Other

"I can't remember how many times I've been tasered (each cartridge costs about $30, by the way) by a fellow cop," says Sam. "A fellow academy graduate of mine pranked his supervisor by pepper-spraying his car's air filter (not recommended for professional advancement). And a squad working opposite of ours had this really weird poo poo-throwing fetish ..."

And, sometimes, the pranks move beyond the level of Jackass-style frat house chicanery and graduate to some real creative territory that can only be described as "borderline domestic terrorism":

"It was the end of my night shift, and I was filing some paperwork before going home. I closed my filing cabinet and saw that there was a piece of trash stuck in the gap between the cabinet and the drawer, so I yanked it out. And it exploded." The night shift supervisor, a former bomb squad guy, had built a tiny IED out of shotgun shells and stuck it in Sam's filing cabinet ("you know, like a loving terrorist"). The explosion sent one officer diving beneath his desk and another racing into the room with his gun drawn.

"I found out years later that the terrorist in question had emptied a full shotgun shell's worth of gunpowder into his IED. Then, because it didn't look like enough, he added half the powder from another shell to top it off. Had I wrapped my whole hand around the device before pulling it out, I could have suffered permanent damage."

The other stuff in there some of y'all have already talked about before.

• Locked thread