Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

here's an actual suggestion lowtax: modding gbs seems to crush the life out of people over time, so maybe it needs like 5 or 6 simultaneous mods that are all reasonably chill and more or less on the same page. many hands make light work etc. give them a superhero team name or something to foster camaraderie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

Good Lord Fisher! posted:

here's an actual suggestion lowtax: modding gbs seems to crush the life out of people over time, so maybe it needs like 5 or 6 simultaneous mods that are all reasonably chill and more or less on the same page. many hands make light work etc. give them a superhero team name or something to foster camaraderie

change all their names to the planeteers names and make them mod in-character only

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

social vegan posted:

change all their names to the planeteers names and make them mod in-character only

They should all just summon gnarly instead

LadyAmbien
Oct 22, 2015

social vegan posted:

Except everyone will want to be Heart.

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

LadyAmbien posted:

Except everyone will want to be Heart.

ya i guess aladdin is cool too

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

heart is objectively the most useful power...

EDIT: can you imagine wielding such power? the power to keep your group of friends together by reminding them of the love they hold for one another.. chills

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

Poetic Justice posted:

Gnarly is good.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

clearly the answer is to mod someone who seems like they would be really bad at it instead of the normal way this thing is done

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

Good Lord Fisher! posted:

this is also a good idea. low numbers of mods fosters megalomania in gbs mods. have a bunch of mods and boot them when they cause drama

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Poetic Justice posted:

Gnarly is good.

i bet gnarlys friends irl are wondering why hes aged so quickly the past year.

just like what happened to obama

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

I gonna write 2,000 words trying to deconstruct, analyze, and subvert the rules in the OP because of my autism

Masturbasturd
Sep 1, 2014

NecroMonster posted:

clearly the answer is to mod someone who seems like they would be really bad at it instead of the normal way this thing is done

Who you lookin at?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Commie NedFlanders posted:

I gonna write 2,000 words trying to deconstruct, analyze, and subvert the rules in the OP because of my autism

This would be funny if people didn't literally line up to do this.

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:
lowtax please do not ever make me a mod

i am ascared of doxxers

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

lowtax if you make me a mod, pls put me in the mod protection program

i will move to another state and change my name if you guarantee my safety

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Whoever is mod will be separated from the community by virtue of their position. For a GBS regular (like myself) this can feel very alienating and stressful. On the other hand, appointing people with no familiarity with GBS leads to situations like El Spider.

What we need is someone who's logged a lot of hours on GBS and is familiar with each of us intimately, but who wouldn't miss us too terribly if he or she became mod. An active poster who is neither a moral crusader nor a 2edgy troll.

Dad Gay.So What would seem like the obvious choice but I think he would be too tempted to abuse his powers for the sake of chaos (I'm convinced DGSW's entire posting career is one long, elaborate performance art piece).

Cool NIN Shirt

The Saurus

Vendagoat

Sheep Goats

are examples of posters I think might make good mods.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Applewhite posted:

Whoever is mod will be separated from the community by virtue of their position. For a GBS regular (like myself) this can feel very alienating and stressful. On the other hand, appointing people with no familiarity with GBS leads to situations like El Spider.

What we need is someone who's logged a lot of hours on GBS and is familiar with each of us intimately, but who wouldn't miss us too terribly if he or she became mod. An active poster who is neither a moral crusader nor a 2edgy troll.

Dad Gay.So What would seem like the obvious choice

Or just give the mod a separate mod account they can use. It's not like half the shitposters on this site don't have 2-3 accounts going at any time anyway. Then no doxxing either

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

Applewhite posted:

Dad Gay.So What would seem like the obvious choice but I think he would be too tempted to abuse his powers for the sake of chaos (I'm convinced DGSW's entire posting career is one long, elaborate performance art piece).

Cool NIN Shirt

The Saurus

Vendagoat

Sheep Goats

good and smart post from applewhite

make vendagoat mod and let's move on wit our lives

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Applewhite posted:

Whoever is mod will be separated from the community by virtue of their position.

having periodic IKs would avoid this problem

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Before making Dad Gay, So What a mod, please consider un-Permabanning Vilepilot or Kyoon and making them mod because I'm sure either of them would be a lot better.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Applewhite posted:

Cool NIN Shirt

The Saurus

Vendagoat

Sheep Goats

I unironically and sincerely agree with this. I also thought that one melty faced man from FYAD made a good gibbus mod for like 2 weeks. edit: "no they will not", not "enfield"

I just dont want to be probated or banned for making jokes. or for being a big fat knob-polishing homo.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
The Perfect Mod:

If you want this choice position
Have a cheery disposition
Rosy cheeks, no warts!
Play games, all sorts

You must be kind, you must be witty
Very sweet and fairly pretty
Take us on outings, give us treats
Sing songs, bring sweets

Never be cross or cruel
Never give us castor oil or gruel
Love us as a son and daughter
And never smell of barley water

If you won't scold and dominate us
We will never give you cause to hate us
We won't hide your spectacles
So you can't see
Put toads in your bed
Or pepper in your tea
Hurry, Mod Thanks
in Advance
Also do a dance.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

mod gay. so what

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Mange Mite posted:

Or just give the mod a separate mod account they can use. It's not like half the shitposters on this site don't have 2-3 accounts going at any time anyway. Then no doxxing either

Anonymity, like an executioner's hood. I like it. I would have been cool with being mod under those conditions.

Applewhite fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Nov 20, 2015

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Oh also whoever is made mod should be lenient WRT cartoons of big boobies and also dicks.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

we should just give everyone in GBS mod powers (only in GBS though) randomly to weed out the weak

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

vendagoat campaign slogans:

"he's got your goat!"

"the goat with the most!"

"an acceptable option!"

Bacontotem
May 27, 2010

Next mod has to make a better CYOA than Space Tits.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Bacontotem posted:

Next mod has to make a better CYOA than Space Tits.

So Gilganixon then.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Cowman posted:

we should just give everyone in GBS mod powers (only in GBS though) randomly to weed out the weak

What if we only enforced the rules in one forum each day, but nobody knows which forum it is at any given time, and the forum being enforced shifts after each time someone is banned?
Also the only punishment is banning.
That way, everyone will be on their best behavior because they don't know if they're in the rules active forum.

flerp
Feb 25, 2014

Applewhite posted:

What if we only enforced the rules in one forum each day, but nobody knows which forum it is at any given time, and the forum being enforced shifts after each time someone is banned?
Also the only punishment is banning.
That way, everyone will be on their best behavior because they don't know if they're in the rules active forum.

or just make the only punishment banning

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

vendagoat 2016: "he's good enough!"

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I can't picture myself or anyone coming to hate Vendagoat for being mod.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

proof of concept posted:

having periodic IKs would avoid this problem
If GBS is to remain as is, this is the solution.

If GBS is going to return to stricter moderation, rules should be made and 2-3 mods should enforce them.

Personally I think rotating IKs are the way to go. G0m and brwwwwww (sic) were great and so was SWBM.

HOWEVER a return to strict moderation could be better overall in terms of both intentional and unintentional comedy.

This is one fag's opinion. God bless.

I am Toni Lippi
Aug 16, 2004
All these rules.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Lowtax is it a good idea for mods to edit out the rules post and then start handing out bans for every little thing y/n

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

Applewhite posted:

I can't picture myself or anyone coming to hate Vendagoat for being mod.

exactly! an uncontroversial choice. i think dad gay would rock the boat (which would be funny to watch so i don't know why im not encouraging it)

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I think this episode of "Are you Being Served" is very relevant to our situation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q150xb8byB0

4outof5
Nov 10, 2003

Leader of the ULT Right.
Grabbing pussy since April 2, 1994
Make me a mod and I will turn this place into a wasteland of poo poo posting and bring anime back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
i wanna be a mod

• Locked thread