Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Slung Blade posted:

Also, mctinkerson, next time you want to do patches, I have a plasma cutter and a decent mig welder you can come use.

Thanks for the offer, if logistics would have allowed for it, I gladly would have taken you up on that. This will be taken in to account for TM2TW2017.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Man if we do this again I'm going to get something really stupid.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Man if we do this again I'm going to get something really stupid.

+ a big stupid lift.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I saw my neighbour was putting his Reatta on a flatbed tow truck so I was all running over there but then he was just moving it to his garage to work on it :(

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
Next year i'm fulfilling my dream of a lifted flared G-body with the dumbest lumpiest cam and a stripped trunk with a tire rack and cage

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

DrakeriderCa posted:

Next year i'm fulfilling my dream of a lifted flared G-body with the dumbest lumpiest cam and a stripped trunk with a tire rack and cage

Reatta with a 3400 swap and an F23.

Or a Fiero with same (Fieros are getting stupid cheap!)

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

(Fieros are getting stupid cheap!)

wait what? my brother got one (and not even a bad one, it was in drat good shape other than the fact that it was duke/3spd auto) for like $300 in 09. All the ones I've seen in the past couple years have been $2k+

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jun 21, 2016

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Where can I find a hard shell rifle case for cheap cheap cheap. This is too expensive: http://www.cabelas.ca/product/80499/plano-single-scoped-rifle-case
Correct shape however. The more it looks like it's meant for a rifle, the better. Dorito Power has given me an idea regarding our 2 stroke transport problem and I'm running with it.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Buy an M14 from Marstar, they'll give you a case, sell the rifle.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
I could probably find one for free. Or close to it. Is condition important? Does it need to stay closed and locked?

Also keep in mind there's no way that thing can be expected to be left on the rack overnight. An exposed gun case screams "STEAL ME"

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

I think princess auto sells rifle cases. Some are even an awful garish camo print.

I think next year we need a motorhome that sleeps six.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

DrakeriderCa posted:

I could probably find one for free. Or close to it. Is condition important? Does it need to stay closed and locked?

Also keep in mind there's no way that thing can be expected to be left on the rack overnight. An exposed gun case screams "STEAL ME"

Condition is not important. It does however need to stay closed. Locked, no. It will be hard mounted to the drivers side roof rack. We can either empty it over night and leave it open or mount it with zip ties and remove it each night. I'll fire you off a message on FB - I want to keep this plan a surprise.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

I hope it's toilet paper on a leaf blower. :allears:

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Slung Blade posted:

I hope it's toilet paper on a leaf blower. :allears:

You say that like I don't already have one...

Further progress has been made. I reek of burnt steel but all patch panels are now ready for Corroseal tomorrow followed by gluing to the car on Friday.

Edit: All patch panels epoxied on. Entire vehicle cleaned and degreased. Ready for vinyl tomorrow morning.

By Sunday it should be put back together save for the Noxudol, which still hasn't shown up yet.

Edit 2: Jesus Titty loving Christ! Vvivid Vinyl is absolute loving garbage. Air release technology my rear end. You're supposed to apply it dry eh? How about I do something else dry....

Vinyl wrap won't be happening. On to plan B.

McTinkerson fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jun 26, 2016

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Jobs completed today:
Timing cover back on.
Engine mount back on.
Alternator back on.
Power steering hoses reconnected, reservoir reinstalled and refilled.
Coolant filled and mostly bled.
Under tray reinstalled.
Engine balance / damper weight ballsack reinstalled.
Power steering and alternator/AC Belts installed and tensioned.
Seafoam applied. Surprisingly little smoke.
Replaced small length of vac hose after we found a crack during said seafoaming.
Replaced shift boot and knob.

Result: JESUS TAPDANCING MURPHY. IT'S RUNNING AGAIN.

We drove it to Airdrie and back, hoping to get a PCV valve. loving NAPA and Can Tire didn't have one. Will have to order one.
Although we did find a friend in the parking lot :3:

:whatup:

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

We should talk camping logistics.

Should we bring one coleman stove and some basic cookware to use communally or should we be rugged individualists and go with separate backpacking cookset style gear?

I can cram my stuff into a rubbermaid bin without too much trouble, cast iron skillet, kettle, and a camp toaster would probably serve us well. Should we divvy up the camp gear as well as the tools?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
We also fixed the cruise and air con today. Air con is pretty weak though and it's R12 but it's better than nothing.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Slung Blade posted:

We should talk camping logistics.

Should we divvy up the camp gear as well as the tools?

This was my thought, we're generally sticking to the same route on the way there. I friend of mine did have some ideas for the return leg as far as challenges go that might affect this, but for the moment I would say that divvying everything up between the teams would be the most economical. The big difference between us and Top Gear is that we leave no man behind.

A HUGE amount of progress was made on Karakuchi today, I can however not reveal anything yet. I will say that Plan B is coming along nicely. The vinyl is being returned for a full refund and Vvivid are surprisingly not being dicks about anything yet.

I will leave this:

We need a longer coolant overflow hose.

Industrial Paint & Plastics better have my Noxudol tomorrow. They've been saying it's showing up "tomorrow" for two weeks now.

Edit:

We also fixed the cruise and air con today. Air con is pretty weak though and it's R12 but it's better than nothing.

This means that you guys are the "James May" of this trip. Be wary of the vehicle with functional A/C...

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

McTinkerson posted:

This means that you guys are the "James May" of this trip. Be wary of the vehicle with functional A/C...

"Functional" meaning it drops the temp of outside air by perhaps 3 degrees.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
"Functional" is a strong word for the air conditioning in this thing. It might be placebo effect more than anything.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

How about the week of the rally itself?

Edmonton to Calgary is a pretty long drive in and of itself, and I have exactly four guest beds at my house, so long as two of you don't mind sleeping in the RV. Or you're welcome to camp out on the lawn if you want to test your kit, there's plenty of room and we can have a fire (intentionally, I hope) in the pit.

You guys want to meet at my place on the Saturday, do any last minute fixes / desperate wrenching to be road legal / Japanese coupe Barbie dressup? The lift will be at your disposal and my tools are mostly comprehensive.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

That's what I was thinking, us Edmonton guys head down on Saturday July 16. If you're offering up the place, we'll gladly test our kit.

McTinkerson fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jun 27, 2016

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Sounds like a plan man, and yeah I'm happy to have you guys out.

poo poo you could come down on the Friday evening if you'd like more time. I'll be here.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

McTinkerson posted:

That's what I was thinking, us Edmonton guys head down on Saturday July 16. If you're offering up the place, we'll gladly test our kit.

Yeah, that sounds good to me. I'm also good for Friday night if it gets us away earlier on Saturday.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

So with the seafoam sitting in the pan overnight, I figure today would be a good time to change the oil and re-burp the coolant.

JFC this thing pisses oil, look at the stain, that's one night.

(also first ever car up on the hoist hell yeah son)

Old filter seeps. It seeped before, and I gorilla tightened it yesterday, still seepin. Must be some grit on the mating surface or something.

Oh man.

I really need one of those oil change catch things with the extendable drain pan.

Swapped the drain pan gasket for a new copper washer style one. Maybe this one won't leak as much? :shrug:

Check out that technicolour dreampan paint.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

I find it very amusing that neither RX-7 leaks any fluids. Seems like the Celica has taken it upon itself to make up for that.

Edit: That pan is a pretty clear indication that it has seen the bay of many quick lube shops.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Yeah, it didn't even come with a drain plug washer when we got it. My money's on oil filter pedestal o-ring.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Yeah, it didn't even come with a drain plug washer when we got it. My money's on oil filter pedestal o-ring.

It actually did, it was just really hard to see what with being bathed in oil all the time. It feels almost ceramic, very odd material. I pried it off the plug, it's on the table in the shop for the next time you come over.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Karakuchi is nearing completion. The make-shift Asahi livery is official now. Not what was originally planned but I was playing around in Forza 6 last night and I'm confident that Plan B will work out.

Tonight I'll be cleaning the wheel wells and rockers in prep for the Noxudol tomorrow. I have been assured that it was shipped via greyhound today from Calgary. I expect to be getting a call from my local depot tomorrow.

In addition, I'll be cleaning the tail lights as well as removing the lenses (they've already separated from the body by 50% on their own) and removing the reflectors. Then it's applying a red film to the lenses and re-installing everything. Kudos to Dorito Power for lending my his butyl tape.

Team Cool Ranch has made great progress as well. I'll hassle them to post an update.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

I'm gonna drive the celica to work as much as possible this week to wring out as many gremlins as possible.

Day one went well, gave it a wash, nearly got hailed on, drove like a dong all day. Feels good.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Slung Blade posted:

Drove like a dong all day. Feels good.

Driving these cars like Dongs is the best. Does the Hellica basically beg you too? Because ours sure does.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

McTinkerson posted:

Driving these cars like Dongs is the best. Does the Hellica basically beg you too? Because ours sure does.

It's like a three year old on a swing set screaming HIGHER DADDY, HIGHER! And then it pees oil everywhere when it gets too excited.

I was remarking to my friend yesterday when we were out running some errands at lunch that it is a good thing I didn't learn to drive a car like this when I was a teenager, I would have gotten in so much trouble.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
So Slung Blade is driving the Hellica for work now, and I want to know if we should count the mileage reimbursement from his company against the budget for the car.

I'm leaning towards yes because we're also going to probably count Canadian Tire Money against the budget for the car.

Yes, I can squeeze a penny until it screams.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jun 29, 2016

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

So Slung Blade is driving the Hellica for work now, and I want to know if we should count the mileage reimbursement from his company against the budget for the car.

As an independent unbiased observer I would have to say hell no.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Further progress. Once again images taken from Instagram 'cuz I'm lazy.

Louvers are on.

Wink mirror is installed.

I also was greeted with a very pleasant surprise while installing the short shifter. The car already has one. I kept the stock shifter from the parts car and the fulcrum point is totally different and almost identical to the miata kit. So that kit's getting sold again. All I need to do now is drill out the tap handle and tap to the correct threads. I think they're M10. I'll pick up a cheap thread checker from Fastenal tomorrow to confirm. Any Edmonton goons have a tap & die set I can borrow?

Left to complete:
  • Rivet all existing patch panels
  • Undercoat rockers & wheel wells before Saturday
  • Drill and tap Asahi tap handle
  • Complete tail light assembly & apply red film
  • Install tail lights
  • Complete wing installation. Two of four bolts in place. Need M4 button heads from Fastenal.
  • Complete livery (planned for this weekend) - Backup vinyl acquired
  • Cut out remaining patch panels - rivet to car

There's also a bunch of little poo poo to complete inside the car but whatever.

McTinkerson fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Jun 30, 2016

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

How are we looking guys? Everyone's car at least functional enough to get to my place?

Does anyone need help or anything?

Also what the hell is a wink mirror, I have never heard of such a thing.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
:wink:

they are the huge windshield width mirrors, multiple panels.. for important rally reasons. :catbert:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
All we really have to do is rice the gently caress out of the Celica and also do all the wiring I was supposed to do this week but didn't do.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

SneakyFrog posted:

:wink:

they are the huge windshield width mirrors, multiple panels.. for important rally reasons. :catbert:

Exactly! Thanks to this thing, we no longer have a blind spot where our B-pillar resides.

We're doing OK progress wise. I have Thursday and Friday evening all to myself to work on the car. Friday we plan on taking the car to the local Cars & Coffee event.
I'll toss up a complete list with further progress Thursday evening.

McTinkerson fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jul 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoritoPower
Dec 18, 2015
We did some stuff and now it's my daily driver.

• Locked thread