Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Covski posted:

1.e4 d5 2.exd5 Nf6 3.d4 Bg4 4.Bb5+ c6 5.dxc6 Nxc6 6.Nf3 Bxf3 7.Qxf3 Qd7 8.O-O

You have 24 hours to decide on a move.

Nxd4. Seize the center immediately, threaten the queen, make sure they can't get that bloody rook out in the immediate future along with opening a path to the h2 pawn with our other knight allowing us to peel back their defenses over by where their king is at. We have no reason to castle yet because we have no target other than a single pawn on the d file.

If we're thinking about development for a castle, absolutely do it on kingside. Queenside is weak as gently caress, we've been stripped bare and we have wasted most of our development on half assed aggression on that half of the board.

E: To clarify, I back Pe6 but not right now. We need to trade that knight for their queen or at least win the center. I'm not letting us lose this golden opportunity afforded by us thanks to the knight now being unpinned.

Fine, I vote for Pe6 because at least it's a step in the right direction.

HerpicleOmnicron5 fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jul 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

Called it.

Right then, I'm suggesting Pe6 so we can let our bishop out and get the chance to kingside castle.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Nxd4. Seize the center immediately, threaten the queen, make sure they can't get that bloody rook out in the immediate future along with opening a path to the h2 pawn with our other knight allowing us to peel back their defenses over by where their king is at. We have no reason to castle yet because we have no target other than a single pawn on the d file.

If we're thinking about development for a castle, absolutely do it on kingside. Queenside is weak as gently caress, we've been stripped bare and we have wasted most of our development on half assed aggression on that half of the board.

That's a bad idea; White would follow up with Bxd7, taking our queen and putting our king in check, meaning that we couldn't pull of a proper queen trade even if we wanted to.

For all intents and purposes that knight is still pinned.

Dr. Snark fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Jul 20, 2017

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Dr. Snark posted:

That's a bad idea; White would follow up with Bxd7, taking our queen and putting our king in check, meaning that we couldn't pull of a proper queen trade even if we wanted to.

Hm, it's almost like Qd7 was a bad move. Actually no, I take that back, it was a godawful move that has cost us the game by ceding tempo, aggression and position.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

Just realized this: Pe6 would prevent White from going with Nc3 for the near future; with our bishop now in play White's not going to risk bringing out their knight now that we've demonstrated a willingness to sacrifice our bishops for them.

Edit: Though looking at the fact that we're probably abandoning our plans to queenside castle, it might not be a bad idea to finally go Pa6. We can use White's intelligence against them; there's no way they would lose a move on Ba4. If they retreat their bishop, good. If they trade, then that sucks but at least we can finally put our queen in motion.

Dr. Snark fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Jul 20, 2017

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Just a reminder that queenside castling puts our king on the c rank, and therefore Qc3 re-pins our knight.

I'm ok with either a6 or e6. The moves those lead white into making are the least advantageous.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

oldskool posted:

Just a reminder that queenside castling puts our king on the c rank, and therefore Qc3 re-pins our knight.

I'm ok with either a6 or e6. The moves those lead white into making are the least advantageous.

Is that so? Then lets go for it! Qc3 is countered by Qdx4, which either invites a trade that gets our knight in the center or they back off and our knight is free again and our queen occupies the center.

I'm not changing my vote though.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Dr. Snark posted:

Called it.

Right then, I'm suggesting Pe6 so we can let our bishop out and get the chance to kingside castle.

Yup, you did. It's a good suggestion. On the balance, I favour getting our bishop out of the way. The only other move where we could force some sort of prevention to them bringing out their rook is a queen side castle, which is the other option. However, I do agree that our defence there is the weakest.

We also need to hone in on a plan to get a left side offensive going, which the bishop could help. And now that we've done Qd7, we can stack a rook behind her with a single move, and support that if we king's side castle.

Dr. Snark posted:

Just realized this: Pe6 would prevent White from going with Nc3 for the near future; with our bishop now in play White's not going to risk bringing out their knight now that we've demonstrated a willingness to sacrifice our bishops for them.

Edit: Though looking at the fact that we're probably abandoning our plans to queenside castle, it might not be a bad idea to finally go Pa6. We can use White's intelligence against them; there's no way they would lose a move on Ba4. If they retreat their bishop, good. If they trade, then that sucks but at least we can finally put our queen in motion.

Don't think we can assume that, and white is going to be looking for rapid development now. They might be much less risk averse now. Still, we do need to move that goddamned pawn out.

I've also been thinking that e6 kind of puts a block on our queen's potential diagonal movement, so it may lock us in to an additional move to clear it. If that can be combined with a reveal move though...

Here's an idea I've been toying with. What about Nd5? It blocks the queen from threatening c6 knight, so not stack up there. Then we could support that with e6 or threaten white's bishop. d5 is covered by our queen and can't be attacked down d corridor due to white's own pawn blocking that attack. E6 supports it and I doubt white would trade that knight for knight with a potential c3 knight. It prevents white from moving that pawn up with support, which they are probably thinking to use that rook for. We get to block white's attack on our right flank, block that goddamned pawn and set up our knight to support a g2 or e2 attack if we've brought out our bishop - which we can do if we go e6. We also command an important center tile.

Makes f7 vulnerable to a queen incursion, though, and doesn't look as good with a king's side castle.

Hm, it's almost like Qd7 was a bad move. Actually no, I take that back, it was a godawful move that has cost us the game by ceding tempo, aggression and position.

How would you know. I get that making GBS threads all over this game and probably the very idea of a chess lp is your kind of fun, but your disingenuous bullshit is convincing nobody. What, a thread full of chess players can't see you coming?

You have yet to suggest I think a single good move. I figure you're the likely candidate to try som supervillainry poo poo or some other stupid thing to ruin a pretty straightforward game so far. Keep up with deliberately trying to make us lose with this poo poo if you want, but if people were or are going to listen to you we never stood a chance to win this game in the first place.

Nice piece of fish fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Jul 20, 2017

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Nice piece of fish posted:

How would you know. I get that making GBS threads all over this game and probably the very idea of a chess lp is your kind of fun, but your disingenous bullshit is convincing nobody. What, a thread full of chess players can't see you coming?

You have yet to suggest I think a single good move. I figure you're the likely candidate to try som supervillainry poo poo or some other stupid thing to ruin a pretty straightforward game so far. Keep up with deliberately trying to make us lose with this poo poo, but if people were or are going to listen to you we never stood a chance to win this game in the first place.

Supervillainy.

In chess.

How the gently caress is that even possible since it's an I-Go You-Go system rather than simultaneous? An information leak reveals nothing except gives them a few hours more to plan. This is not disingenuous bullshit: Qd7 is an awful play in my eyes, and I still maintain that Qa6 was not the worst move and never has been. I'm not making GBS threads over this game or this LP, I'm trying to make us win and you're trying to drag us down with many :words: to make it seem like you've got the right idea. Well, nice try nice piece of fish, but you aren't fooling me.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
I'm fine with e6; while a6 will threaten that bishop, it was already pointed out that White can just counter that with Ba4. e6 at least lets us whip out our bishop.

I promise you that sounded less dirty when I thought that up.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
E6, and for the love of God put a muzzle on Herp Derp.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Davin Valkri posted:

E6, and for the love of God put a muzzle on Herp Derp.

Yeah, gently caress it. I'm out of chess time for today anyway. E6. Let's get our bishop rolling and may the chips fall where they may.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

Yeah, let's go with Pe6.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Pe6 is a good idea, we definitely don't want to be in that position 3 moves down the line and we need to get our left side moving.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
e6 works for now.

Glaive17
Oct 11, 2012

What is there left to discover about donuts...?
Pillbug
Works for me, e6.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
e6. Or as my phone wants to autocorrect it to, 36th. Let's hope that unlike the 36th infantry division, this move does not get us all captured by the Japanese and used for slave labor!

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

e6

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Bringing the forums together with the greatest thread!
Calling the vote for e6!

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

E6 is good. It's not aggressive, but it paves the way. And I'm A-OK with paveways. Still don't get Qd7 especially if we're planning on castling kingside.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

1.e4 d5 2.exd5 Nf6 3.d4 Bg4 4.Bb5+ c6 5.dxc6 Nxc6 6.Nf3 Bxf3 7.Qxf3 Qd7 8.O-O e6

White has 24 hours to decide on a move.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Heads-up: I'm not sure I'll be able to update according to the usual 24 hour schedule on account of doing weekend things! However, white will still only have 15 more minutes to vote, so don't worry about unfairness!

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

1.e4 d5 2.exd5 Nf6 3.d4 Bg4 4.Bb5+ c6 5.dxc6 Nxc6 6.Nf3 Bxf3 7.Qxf3 Qd7 8.O-O e6 9.c4

Sorry about the lack of updates, back on track for now!

You have 24 hours to decide on a move.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

We are under attack. The enemy is at our gates. Our own hope is to strike the enemy before they strike us, lest we be defeated by those conniving White Team members. 0-0-0 (Don't understand why the notation is this way,
but it is)
will be the blow to rout the enemy force, to show them we mean business. And that is what we mean: business.

HerpicleOmnicron5 fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jul 24, 2017

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD

We are under attack. The enemy is at our gates. Our own hope is to strike the enemy before they strike us, lest we be defeated by those conniving White Team members. Qxd4 will be the blow to rout the enemy force, to show them we mean business. And that is what we mean: business.

9. ... Qxd4 10. Bxc6+ xc6 11. Qxc6+ and we're done. Do NOT vote Qxd4!

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Castle? Develop our bishop?

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Davin Valkri posted:

9. ... Qxd4 10. Bxc6+ xc6 11. Qxc6+ and we're done. Do NOT vote Qxd4!

Yes, like we're not wise to the fact that Herp is trying to make us lose.

We've got a couple of things we can do now. Nb4 threatens the knight they obviously plan to let loose and opens up our king's side castle, which given that white's offensive is queenside seems a good idea at the moment.

Likewise, a5 to threaten the bishop away is a possibility, but it doesn't give us very much. We need to start planning our attack on the white king.

If we don't king's side castle, we could go h5, Qc7, Ng5 and then Qh2, but it's painfully obvious after Qc7.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

We've got a couple of things we can do now. Nb4 threatens the knight they obviously plan to let loose and opens up our king's side castle, which given that white's offensive is queenside seems a good idea at the moment.

Just to confirm, is this Bb4? Nb4 gives them the queen for a bishop.

Also wrt

I figure an active and immediate refutation is good practice. Let no one think we're shutting him down without good reason.

Davin Valkri fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jul 24, 2017

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Davin Valkri posted:

Just to confirm, is this Bb4? Nb4 gives them the queen for a bishop.

Also wrt

I figure an active and immediate refutation is good practice. Let no one think we're shutting him down without good reason.

Yes, sorry. Typo.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

Likewise, a5 to threaten the bishop away is a possibility, but it doesn't give us very much. We need to start planning our attack on the white king.

If we don't king's side castle, we could go h5, Qc7, Ng5 and then Qh2, but it's painfully obvious after Qc7.

Er...correct me if I'm wrong but White letting lose their knight would be good for us because it'd be a waste of their time. We can either go Bb4 if they go Nc3 and tell them to piss off, or just let it stay there because their only other viable move would put the knight in a position to be captured by our front-most pawn.

Anyway. We might want to consider falling for their bluff; Bb4 could prompt Bd2 on their part and we could go for a trade if we wanted to, and besides we want that bishop gone for our castle anyway.

If we don't want to do that we could opt for some other move that currently escape me at the moment. Maybe we could sacrifice our front-most pawn to create an opening for our everything.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Dr. Snark posted:

Er...correct me if I'm wrong but White letting lose their knight would be good for us because it'd be a waste of their time. We can either go Bb4 if they go Nc3 and tell them to piss off, or just let it stay there because their only other viable move would put the knight in a position to be captured by our front-most pawn.

Anyway. We might want to consider falling for their bluff; Bb4 could prompt Bd2 on their part and we could go for a trade if we wanted to, and besides we want that bishop gone for our castle anyway.

If we don't want to do that we could opt for some other move that currently escape me at the moment. Maybe we could sacrifice our front-most pawn to create an opening for our everything.

I'm actually thinking queen's side castle. We need to make our move on the king soon. If we play it out white's position isn't all that much worse than ours. We need to make moves that position us for what white is inevitably thinking, namely a break through d corridor.

I want our queen in position to strike h2. We can support such an attack if we keep our rook on h corridor, use h pawn and our knight. It's obvious, but since we took white's knight that side is underdefended anyway.

Queen's side castle gives us a rook to place to replace moving our queen. The attack through c corridor is less threatening now that c4 pawn is blocking, in terms of our king.

Either that, or we move the bishop and king's side castle and start a war to get to white king. And bishop to b4 seems obvious in that case. We need to threaten them back. I am worried about the exchange that's about to happen in d5 when they move that pawn up after they go rook to d1.

Ideas?

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'm actually thinking queen's side castle. We need to make our move on the king soon. If we play it out white's position isn't all that much worse than ours. We need to make moves that position us for what white is inevitably thinking, namely a break through d corridor.

I want our queen in position to strike h2. We can support such an attack if we keep our rook on h corridor, use h pawn and our knight. It's obvious, but since we took white's knight that side is underdefended anyway.

Queen's side castle gives us a rook to place to replace moving our queen. The attack through c corridor is less threatening now that c4 pawn is blocking, in terms of our king.

Either that, or we move the bishop and king's side castle and start a war to get to white king. And bishop to b4 seems obvious in that case. We need to threaten them back. I am worried about the exchange that's about to happen in d5 when they move that pawn up after they go rook to d1.

Ideas?

The more I look at it the more queenside castling seems like the best option; from what I can tell any future reactions from White afterwards would be in our favor. Our defenses are strong enough that we can easily block a bishop check or punish any aggression from White if we did so, and we desperately need to free up our pinned pieces.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Alright, so I'm thinking white is going to move that rook to d corridor before they do anything else.

I want to set up our offense on the white king. I'm thinking Qc7, then after white moves the rook, queen's side castle to support d corridor. Then, if the go with the pawn down d5, we go Bc5 and threaten the king directly. They do a reveal with the pawn, we take their rook sacrificing ours, then we attack with h5, Ng4 and they either lose the queen or loosen up their pawn structure, and we'll have to take it from there.

Or we at least stop the pin on c6 knight.

Actually, defensively speaking (too) white is definitely planning a break through d5, and how we play that is going to affect the outcome of the game. We need backup.

I think it's probably time to 0-0-0. We'll do the rest later, but right now, we have to show white they can't get through down D corridor without a bloodbath. Then we can set up an attack, or try some fancy forks or something. We can't king's side castle yet, and we are too weak in the centre. I also have my doubts about it, because white has some good attack options there as well.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Dr. Snark posted:

The more I look at it the more queenside castling seems like the best option; from what I can tell any future reactions from White afterwards would be in our favor. Our defenses are strong enough that we can easily block a bishop check or punish any aggression from White if we did so, and we desperately need to free up our pinned pieces.

True. Moving the queen should be a high priority when we can manage also.

And starting to move up on white's other flank should be a priority soon.

Glaive17
Oct 11, 2012

What is there left to discover about donuts...?
Pillbug
I would be ok with a 0-0-0 right now, I will vote for that.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I wanna tuck the king into his bed. Let's 0-0-0

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

Alright, lets do this. 0-0-0

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

I like it, we need to move our King so we can move our other drat pieces who are protecting the King and move our Rook into a better position.

0-0-0

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

I am okay with 0-0-0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

I agree. 0-0-0.

• Locked thread