Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 207 days!
that which may eternal :justpost: may never die

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

The Time Dissolver posted:

E: thread necromancy, sorry. I didn't care for this book, not sorry.

I've been meaning to update the thread but my personal life has been busy and I hit the limits on my kindle's copy/paste function so until I bother to find a workaround for that things have been moving a bit slow.

Any thoughts you have on the book or its subject matter is welcome. I liked the book but it was flawed in a lot of ways so criticism is welcome.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I can do the next chapter if you want, although iirc it's a big one. This thread isn't going anywhere anyway!

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
RIP Helsing: the normie

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
Reee.

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
I guess what I wanted to say about this book is that: I also recall with dread the "vampire's castle" phase of online leftism, and I agree that the identity-palooza of Tumblr etc. isn't a recipe for bringing revolution to the masses (in a way, it's its own very selective formulation of "it is forbidden to forbid"), and I don't think Nagle is equivocating or pulling a South Park w/r/t the Tumblr left vs. the alt-right... but the sympathy for Jordan Peterson and mentioning non-binary people in the same breath as otherkin and ABDLs is really revealing and I mostly just want to tell this writer to get hosed. The vampire's castle, c'est moi, I guess.

e: I guess what I'm trying to say is it's pretty obvious to me that the Tumblr left's purity purges and inefficacy at reaching "normies" isn't the only thing driving Nagle's ire for them.

The Time Dissolver has issued a correction as of 07:23 on Aug 8, 2017

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

The Time Dissolver posted:

I guess what I wanted to say about this book is that: I also recall with dread the "vampire's castle" phase of online leftism, and I agree that the identity-palooza of Tumblr etc. isn't a recipe for bringing revolution to the masses (in a way, it's its own very selective formulation of "it is forbidden to forbid"), and I don't think Nagle is equivocating or pulling a South Park w/r/t the Tumblr left vs. the alt-right... but the sympathy for Jordan Peterson and mentioning non-binary people in the same breath as otherkin and ABDLs is really revealing and I mostly just want to tell this writer to get hosed. The vampire's castle, c'est moi, I guess.

e: I guess what I'm trying to say is it's pretty obvious to me that the Tumblr left's purity purges and inefficacy at reaching "normies" isn't the only thing driving Nagle's ire for them.

At one point Nagel mentions that 4chan is interesting in the sense of transgressions regarding suicide: It lured in both people who wanted to kill themselves as well as people who encouraged them to kill themselves because both were acts of transgression. I feel that her underlying thesis is that the Alt-right uses the Tumblr-left to create a similar kind of abusive feedback loop that rapidly reinforces and metastasizes. The sincerity of the tumblr-left is in a reinforcement loop with the brutal transgression-for-transgression's sake assault of the alt-right. The more people actually get demonized, threatened, doxxed, and show real emotion about it, the more the ennui-riddled newfags ask "Umadbro?"

I think this view roots the alt-right in a desperate irony between thinking sincerity is weakness and desperately wanting to be earnest about... anything.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Something something, the alt-right took irony all the way around to terrible sincerity, while the tumblr-left took sincerity all the way around to deep irony.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 207 days!

Inescapable Duck posted:

Something something, the alt-right took irony all the way around to terrible sincerity, while the tumblr-left took sincerity all the way around to deep irony.

round and round the widening gyre
the center cannot meme
the shitpost escapes the shitposter

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
While the alt-centre manages to be both ironic and sincere at the same time since they never knew the difference in the first place.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
It's very bizarre to me that "radical center," something Beltway pundits used to say to pretend that they actually believe in anything, actually became a very radical set of beliefs.

We've all been talking about how parody of the right wing has been exceeded by reality. But the same can be said of those "truth is in the middle" jokes we all used to make about South Park and CNN.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVhpKHeh-TM

Someone from 8chan is interview by Zerobooks and pretty much agrees with the thesis of Kill All Normies.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
leftypol and idpol and other cute neologisms getting thrown around in unironic conversation are weirdly evocative of INGSOC newspeak, especially in the usage of these novel terms getting thrown around to mean "Whatever" because they're so new they don't have a settled and agreed-upon meaning yet

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Willie Tomg posted:

leftypol and idpol and other cute neologisms getting thrown around in unironic conversation are weirdly evocative of INGSOC newspeak, especially in the usage of these novel terms getting thrown around to mean "Whatever" because they're so new they don't have a settled and agreed-upon meaning yet

I'm pretty sure it's a deliberate, ironic reference to Newspeak.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
i think you're giving everyone involved more credit than they've earned

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven

Willie Tomg posted:

Leftypol is a forum on 8chan.

Idpol is short for Identity politics.

Hope this helps.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
there are a few leftypols and the term itself gets bastardized for use against chapo and such by people who dont even know what 8chan is. identity politics... come on you gonna make me write this out? identity politics are a moving target, definitionally.

terms are being created so quickly and deployed by such hermetically sealed ideological communitites that agreed-upon meaning isn't getting a chance to sugar out so folk just cudgel each other with syllables during twitter beef.

this is like a dystopian semiotic nightmare my english profs would seem really old and out of touch talking about a decade ago.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
I don't think that's true of identity politics. People's use and understanding of the term has seemed fairly consistent to me over the last few years, with the primary disagreement being over whether or not it's a problem, and not whether it exists or how it's defined.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

the trump tutelage posted:

I don't think that's true of identity politics. People's use and understanding of the term has seemed fairly consistent to me over the last few years, with the primary disagreement being over whether or not it's a problem, and not whether it exists or how it's defined.

Identity politics, like postmodernism and Marxism, has been around much longer than the last election cycle; identity politics as a term itself was born in the aftermath of the first Cultural Revolution in the 70s. And much like those other terms, whenever someone uses it you have to contextualize every thing they say by looking at all the other signs and symbols they use to try to figure out what sort of narrative they're borrowing from. This has been happening a lot recently with redefinitions of Postmodernism as well, and it is really tedious to untangle what the gently caress people are talking about.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

I'm just a simple poster, but to me ID POLITICS has a fairly well defined meaning in today's cultural and political discourse.

It means tumblr.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What the gently caress does that mean

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

i'll park this here

https://twitter.com/leninology/status/802195266837348352

but add that sometimes people on the 'left' will mean something more like the second, particularly if they're crude class-reductionists. also complaints about 'idpol' are often so vague and whiny that it's not clear if anything specific is meant at all.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 207 days!

Willie Tomg posted:

newspeak was designed to limit the number of usable terms and made the meanings of terms used for criticism inherently contradictory; so "duckspeak" meant both to admirably champion the Party line with sound and stirring rhetoric and to be a mere shill for vacuous factional propaganda

so if i were to call Fallen Hamprince a "doubleplusgood duckspeaker," it would be difficult to tell if i were praising or insulting him and it could be spun either way as necessary

neologisms are often confused with newspeak but they are in fact the precise opposite: new specific terms used to identify a precise phenomena; this expands expression rather than limiting it

the fact that different political factions disagree about those phenomena and therefore the meaning of the term used to describe it is utterly unremarkable

Hodgepodge has issued a correction as of 02:37 on Aug 11, 2017

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Hodgepodge posted:

newspeak was designed to limit the number of usable terms and made the meanings of terms used for criticism inherently contradictory; so "duckspeak" meant both to admirably champion the Party line with sound and stirring rhetoric and to be a mere shill for vacuous factional propaganda

so if i were to call Fallen Hamprince a "doubleplusgood duckspeaker," it would be difficult to tell if i were praising or insulting him and it could be spun either way as necessary

neologisms are often confused with newspeak but they are in fact the precise opposite: new specific terms used to identify a precise phenomena; this expands expression rather than limiting it

the fact that different political factions disagree about those phenomena and therefore the meaning of the term used to describe it is utterly unremarkable

Good point.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Portmanteus aren't dystopian.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Arguing that idpol isn't defined or doesn't exist is a debate tactic by people who believe and express idpol, to obsfucate the historical particularity of their own beliefs - idpol is not synonymous with anti racist or progressive, even if it's advocates intentionally mask that distinction for their own benefit. It's referring to very recent and specific set of beliefs that have become in vogue, and imo at the expense of ideological rigor, consistency and humanistic universality.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
Sounds like someone took the red pill.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 207 days!

rudatron posted:

Arguing that idpol isn't defined or doesn't exist is a debate tactic by people who believe and express idpol, to obsfucate the historical particularity of their own beliefs - idpol is not synonymous with anti racist or progressive, even if it's advocates intentionally mask that distinction for their own benefit. It's referring to very recent and specific set of beliefs that have become in vogue, and imo at the expense of ideological rigor, consistency and humanistic universality.

what you are referring to is the omission of intersectionality and class in favor of calling people bad and wrong

i haven't seen them tell anyone to check their privilege in awhile because that would mean acknowledging theirs

the whole donut thing is nothing but a display of naked privilege, for example

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Peel posted:

i'll park this here

https://twitter.com/leninology/status/802195266837348352

but add that sometimes people on the 'left' will mean something more like the second, particularly if they're crude class-reductionists. also complaints about 'idpol' are often so vague and whiny that it's not clear if anything specific is meant at all.

Immediately

https://twitter.com/ilVeleno/status/802630403806760961

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Intersectionality doesn't solve the problem, it merely refames it as a 'lapse of judgement' on the part of idpolers - you just add a 'hotfix', and the problem is solved. But I'm not sure that's true, I think the problem is more fundamental than that, to the point that you can't really fix it without starting from scratch.

I've considered making a dedicated thread on it, but that's effort.

GlassElephant
Oct 25, 2009

Schwere Panzerabteilung 502
Discovered they were Glass Elephants, 27 APR 45
The alt-right seems to love the book. Richard Spencer is a big fan: https://www.instagram.com/p/BXnngk4AWIJ/

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

GlassElephant posted:

The alt-right seems to love the book. Richard Spencer is a big fan: https://www.instagram.com/p/BXnngk4AWIJ/

Richard Spencer is also for single payer healthcare, gay marriage, nationalization of industry, and the "soft" genocide of all non-whites in the United States.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Montasque posted:

Richard Spencer is also for single payer healthcare, gay marriage, nationalization of industry, and the "soft" genocide of all non-whites in the United States.

But don't call him a Nazi!

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

rudatron posted:

Intersectionality doesn't solve the problem, it merely refames it as a 'lapse of judgement' on the part of idpolers - you just add a 'hotfix', and the problem is solved. But I'm not sure that's true, I think the problem is more fundamental than that, to the point that you can't really fix it without starting from scratch.

Intersectionality is the poison pill that will ultimately kill practical identity politics and so in that respect it's cool & good.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 207 days!

rudatron posted:

Intersectionality was developed by activists to overcome identity-based divisions and priorities and articulate a common ground for solidarity.

In this case, your use of 'idpol' reflects a wish for all these messy divisions of race and gender, etc,to just go away.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I was gonna save this interview until after we got to the chapter where it's relevant, but since it came up and it's a thread about her book, here's Angela Nagle's take on identity politics:

https://www.vox.com/conversations/2017/7/21/15998246/alt-right-donald-trump-angela-nagle-kill-all-normies-interview

quote:

Sean Illing
What have your critics on the left got wrong?

Angela Nagle
I think parts of the left have conflated my attempt to criticize this identity-based internet subculture with all of identity politics, and that's simply not true. Identity politics gave us the women's rights movement, the gay rights movement, the civil rights movement, and so on. It would be absurd to conflate that entire radical history with this small internet subculture.

What I criticized wasn’t identity politics in general but a specific version of identity politics that was about performative wokeness, and in particular the reason I didn't like it was because it was very inclined to censor and it was very inclined to gang up on people. I hate that, and I think it deserves to be criticized.

Sean Illing
You touch on an argument to which I’m increasingly sympathetic, which is that the intellectual culture on the left has become embarrassingly narrow and reactionary in its own way.

Angela Nagle
I think you’re right, and you can see this in the free speech debate. People who are very emotionally heightened about this cannot see why you would want to invite a bad person like Milo Yiannopoulos onto a college campus, because they think why would you bring in someone who's going to say hateful things and make minorities feel intimidated and so on.

But in shutting down its political enemies, the left has also shut down its own internal dissenters, who have always made the left intellectually vibrant. These are the people who keep the ideology from becoming fossilized because they force everyone to constantly rethink things, and these are the very voices that have been shut down. No one on the left wants to discuss taboo subjects anymore. Everyone is shut down for the tiniest of transgressions and anyone who is off message is attacked, and that’s a climate in which ideas die.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
i guess ol angie was a mills-style liberal after all

breaklaw
May 12, 2008
Intersectionality was created to try to reduce the infighting in activist circles caused by people trying to increase their status\importance by proving themselves more oppressed or less privileged than the others. It has no applicable use or even consistent definition outside the left-activist subculture.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

breaklaw posted:

Intersectionality was created to try to reduce the infighting in activist circles caused by people trying to increase their status\importance by proving themselves more oppressed or less privileged than the others. It has no applicable use or even consistent definition outside the left-activist subculture.

or it more accurately describes reality

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

breaklaw posted:

Intersectionality was created... by people trying to increase their status\importance by proving themselves more oppressed or less privileged than the others.
:agreed:

• Locked thread