Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Detective No. 27 posted:

It happened in the same timeline where Brutal Legend ended up being the game that it was advertised as.

Thanks for reminding me of that disappointment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Jose Oquendo posted:

Thanks for reminding me of that disappointment.

The day that game came out, I literally found a $100 bill on the ground and bought it. What a waste of $60. On top of that, I developed a really bad fever that night.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Detective No. 27 posted:

The day that game came out, I literally found a $100 bill on the ground and bought it. What a waste of $60. On top of that, I developed a really bad fever that night.

Sounds like karma for stealing a poor orphan's food money. :colbert:

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I always did think of it as karmic, but I used the other $40 and bought a Wii Classic Controller and Majora's Mask so I think I won out in the end.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
shot context:

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Sometimes I worry about you, Albert!

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Detective No. 27 posted:

It happened in the same timeline where Brutal Legend ended up being the game that it was advertised as.

Brütal Legend was fun, but I also don't really remember the advertising so I can't say I was expecting whatever they sold it as instead of an RTS.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

There was zero mention of it being an RTS in anything. There was a demo that made it out to be a heavy metal Zelda-like.

It's that generation's MGS2 Raiden switcheroo, but with genres instead of protagonists.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Detective No. 27 posted:

There was zero mention of it being an RTS in anything. There was a demo that made it out to be a heavy metal Zelda-like.

It's that generation's MGS2 Raiden switcheroo, but with genres instead of protagonists.

They did in fact show off the RTS before release but showed it off as a 'multiplayer demo'. Even at E3 where they had an exclusive demo that went beyond the demo they released it was entirely open-world Zelda gameplay.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

They did in fact show off the RTS before release but showed it off as a 'multiplayer demo'. Even at E3 where they had an exclusive demo that went beyond the demo they released it was entirely open-world Zelda gameplay.

Ah yeah. I forgot about that. It's been a while. Back then I probably figured it was just a multiplayer thing. Plus back then they were shoehorning online multiplayer modes to everything so I ignored that.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Detective No. 27 posted:

Ah yeah. I forgot about that. It's been a while. Back then I probably figured it was just a multiplayer thing. Plus back then they were shoehorning online multiplayer modes to everything so I ignored that.

You and everyone else. It was pretty blatant bait and switch marketing which is all sorts of bewildering because the concept they had is the one everyone wanted.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
To be fair, the game was still fun to play and they did at least put a modicum of effort into the section of the game where it transitions genres.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

biracial bear for uncut posted:

To be fair, the game was still fun to play and they did at least put a modicum of effort into the section of the game where it transitions genres.

They did, although seriously that massive battle with the boss lady was a loving nightmare to control.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Brutal Legend Multiplayer was really good and also there WAS exploration in the base game. It just wasn't the whole thing.

I actually was super-surprised and delighted when it turned into a weird 3rd person action-RTS hybrid.

Anyway if anyone else reads that Jack Black script I would love to hear their reactions.

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe

MisterBibs posted:

It's always kinda bugged me that this scene has never been recreated, but ending with Batman learning that it doesn't work anymore on anyone but novices.

Yeah, Batman was a real idiot for not realising that things that used to be iconic are now stupid and irrelevant and nobody gives a poo poo about it.

Congratulations MisterBibs. You're Batman.

I really want to see a Guy Gardner Green Lantern film. Only because there needs to be more movie superhero's who are actually heroic and relatable, whilst at the same time being complete pricks.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/MGberry34/status/893865730827014144

:v:

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I remember watching that as a kid on Saturday mornings. It took me a while to remember that it was called Super Friends.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

People always joke about how useless Aquaman was in that show, but they were all useless. They all spent most of an episode not remembering what their power even was because that's about the level of writing for children's television back then.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Al Borland Corp. posted:

People always joke about how useless Aquaman was in that show, but they were all useless. They all spent most of an episode not remembering what their power even was because that's about the level of writing for children's television back then.

Ladies dont ever forget Black Vulcans power

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Barudak posted:

Ladies dont ever forget Black Vulcans power

Yeah it's a real shocker.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

joylessdivision posted:

They did, although seriously that massive battle with the boss lady was a loving nightmare to control.

The really impressive bit was where they got Ozzy Osbourne to be still and coherent long enough to record all of the lines he had in the game.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

The really impressive bit was where they got Ozzy Osbourne to be still and coherent long enough to record all of the lines he had in the game.

And Lemmy berating you for various things was pretty great.

I wish my laptop would run it properly so u could actually finish the loving thing. Guess I'll wait for it to hit Xbox backward compatibility and buy it there.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

joylessdivision posted:

And Lemmy berating you for various things was pretty great.

I wish my laptop would run it properly so u could actually finish the loving thing. Guess I'll wait for it to hit Xbox backward compatibility and buy it there.

You could just search for clips on Youtube, pretty much every thing that can possibly happen in the game is on there now.

Arthur Bowlsworth
Dec 5, 2003

Wot wot, old boy. Might one have a toke?
I didn't mind the RTS sections because they reminded me of Sacrifice

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Arthur Bowlsworth posted:

I didn't mind the RTS sections because they reminded me of Sacrifice

Same company, so no surprise there.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I don't know if anyone pointed it out yet, but at 0:49 in the trailer the announcer is saying (in German) that Lex Luthor has escaped from Arkham Asylum.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_6yBZKj-eo

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I mean, putting Luthor in Arkham seems exactly like something that would backfire completely. Even if they don't have him and the Joker become one-sided best friends forever.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Who's the one who says "I don't recognize this planet anymore"?

And turns out Arthur and Mera are already married

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Who's the one who says "I don't recognize this planet anymore"?
I thought that was Alfred.

I had assumed Arthur and Mera were married since the marketing referred to them as "King and Queen of Atlantis".

Mr. Apollo fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Aug 9, 2017

Arthur Bowlsworth
Dec 5, 2003

Wot wot, old boy. Might one have a toke?

Same company, so no surprise there.

Shiny and Doublefine?

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Shiny no longer exists, and a lot of the people that used to work for them went to work elsewhere.

"Same Company" wasn't entirely accurate, but the effort posting for the people that went from one company to the other and the roles they played would belong in the Brutal Legend thread in Games and it's too much :effort:

There were a lot of forum posts about it outside of SA though.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

New Justice League Synopsis Centers on Wonder Woman

quote:

The official synopsis of Justice League focuses on Batman's renewed faith in humanity.

Fueled by his restored faith in humanity and inspired by Superman’s selfless act, Bruce Wayne enlists the help of his newfound ally, Diana Prince, to face an even greater enemy. Together, Batman and Wonder Woman work quickly to find and recruit a team of metahumans to stand against this newly awakened threat. But despite the formation of this unprecedented league of heroes—Batman, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Cyborg and The Flash—it may already be too late to save the planet from an assault of catastrophic proportions.

The new synopsis, featured on the back Amber Heard's Mera figurine focuses on Wonder Woman.

Once again, Wonder Woman must demonstrate her ability as a fierce warrior. Facing a great enemy, she and Batman join forces to recruit a group of metahumans to stand against this newly awakened threat. Having formed an unprecedented League of heroes, they set out to save the planet from an assault of catastrophic proportions.

A change in marketing strategy or a different synopsis aimed at a different audience? The Mera figure is part of Mattel's Barbie line which is, presumably, aimed at young girls.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
So no superman in the Justice League? That seems dumb.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Tenzarin posted:

So no superman in the Justice League? That seems dumb.

He's coming back to life in.the third act.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Mr. Apollo posted:

New Justice League Synopsis Centers on Wonder Woman

A change in marketing strategy or a different synopsis aimed at a different audience? The Mera figure is part of Mattel's Barbie line which is, presumably, aimed at young girls.

I didn't click through your link to screenrant, but from the quote it just seems like different marketing segments is all. Of course they're going to simplify and re word poo poo for a younger audience - especially on a children's toy line.
I honestly don't understand how that would be worth a story or article.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Drifter posted:

I didn't click through your link to screenrant, but from the quote it just seems like different marketing segments is all. Of course they're going to simplify and re word poo poo for a younger audience - especially on a children's toy line.

Modern journalism has long surpassed the most cynical, absurd parodies of itself.

I hope Batman hugs Superman.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Inescapable Duck posted:

Modern journalism has long surpassed the most cynical, absurd parodies of itself.

I hope Batman hugs Superman.

I hope Bruce hugs Diana :heysexy:

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Drifter posted:

Thats what I figured too. I only posted the link because there seems to be a narrative that WW is the saviour of the DCEU and now everything will revolve around her. Personally, I don't really buy into that and I was wondering what others thought.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Drifter posted:

I hope Bruce hugs Diana :heysexy:

I hope everyone hugs everyone and they have dinner at Martha's.

Mr. Apollo posted:

Thats what I figured too. I only posted the link because there seems to be a narrative that WW is the saviour of the DCEU and now everything will revolve around her. Personally, I don't really buy into that and I was wondering what others thought.

They could work with Wonder Woman as the more 'traditional' hero of the bunch, especially since she's kiiinda in the Captain America role as the hero with a head start on things. Let Superman get philosophical and Batman get weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Martha for JLA mom