Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

gw2 is a flawed game because a ton of its end game is cosmetics and they gate off most of the more fancy outfits behind cash shop, way moreso than other current mmos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Futaba Anzu posted:

gw2 is a flawed game because a ton of its end game is cosmetics and they gate off most of the more fancy outfits behind cash shop, way moreso than other current mmos

This is sort of mitigated by being able to buy the cash shop currency with in game gold (and vice versa), but the exchange rate is not the best in that direction. I would absolutely rather they add more armor sets obtainable in game though, rather than full outfits, and in fairness they did a little better with that in the new expansion.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Dec 7, 2017

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Alder posted:

I don't think old-school MMOs vs modern is quite that different other than we have a ton of options nowadays. The same types of problems I faced from 2010 are still present in 2017 and forever since they're people problems vs gameplay. They should scale back on grinding and the gear treadmill but then again :20bux:

I disagree, the options and evolution of the gameplay have removed a lot of the potential for human interaction.

EverQuest is the clearest example for me since I have history with it, but others probably provided similar experiences. As an adult I would never be able to deal with the old school gameplay and time sink elements that old school EQ relied on, but it was a completely different experience from modern MMOs.

Nowadays, you get your EXP from quests, instanced dungeons, ect. Back when you had to travel to certain zones that suited your level and there wasn't teleportation, flying mounts, airships ect, there were more opportunities to meet people and spend time with them since you usually had to make groups and just fight poo poo over and over again. Soloing was an option, certainly, but fewer people took it I feel.

Comparatively, modern games are more fun and less tedious (in some ways), but in exchange you lose that travel time and forced socialization. Spending a few minutes together since you coincidentally were crossing the sea on the same boat, or a few hours together since you all were fighting monsters together near an old castle, those are the experiences and memories that inspire people to write stories like MMO Junkie, ect, in my opinion.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

chumbler posted:

GW2 has a lot of issues (like dressup being longcoat-filled garbage for medium armor classes), but it does a decent job of avoiding gear grind and having the MM part without needing to be in a group or guild thanks to its events system rather than one and done quest hubs, and for the pvp inclined the persistent world vs world stuff. Though in fairness both tend to devolve into just trains and in the wvw case generally running when an enemy group shows up. Also they still haven't changed hats making your character bald unless the hat has its own hairstyle.
I like the events in GW2 but the entire world is instanced and feels sterilized... like how they were removing the batman utility items from explorers

Also irritating that hat-baldness is still around since it's a bug they added a few months after release. old before/after screen:

Jackard fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Dec 7, 2017

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

I disagree, the options and evolution of the gameplay have removed a lot of the potential for human interaction.

EverQuest is the clearest example for me since I have history with it, but others probably provided similar experiences. As an adult I would never be able to deal with the old school gameplay and time sink elements that old school EQ relied on, but it was a completely different experience from modern MMOs.

Yeah, my younger brother once stayed home from school to camp a quest item in EQ that only showed up at like 11:43AM as one copy in one zone. In WoW, in particular, I remember the emerald dragons back during 1.x, and the telephone chains of ":frogsiren: get to Ysera now" voicemails and text messages from guildies.

I don't know if I'd be able to deal with the old school gameplay today, but I'd love to try. There has to be a market niche for a game of that sort today (Hell, WoW is trying to capitalize on that niche by starting this "classic" thing, but who knows if Blizzard will be willing to maintain the weeks-long grind for 0-60 or if they'll speed it up by 10x as is their wont).

Archeage was the closest recent game to this ideal, but they unfortunately made it annoying to play by virtue of their freemium pricing scheme, and punitive nature if you happened to have your sub drop for a bit (lose your house).

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006
On the topic of old school vanilla WoW, classic WoW was announced last month or something, not sure when it's coming out. But I guess there is enough demand to bring that back. Who knows what they'll change or not, they'll probably gently caress it up.

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012
i like mmo's because they emphasize teamplay in an action/rpg setting (that is not mindless clicking aka diablo). also some of the big raid fights are cool as hell and feel like an accomplishment to beat.

i don't really want to have inane conversation with strangers, though there is nothing wrong with people who do. part of why mmo's make so much money is that they cater to so many aspects of a potential player's personality. you can get basically whatever you want out of them.

also more on topic this show owns.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
The last MMO I remember getting really into was a private server for Lineage 2, back when the engine was still really buggy and by repeatedly trying to climb a short hill, you could hit a vertex just so and go flying into the sky and actually fast-travel by what we dubbed "the super mario jump".

Building their MMO engine on Unreal Engine was both a mistake and brilliant. We also got super-rich by grinding a certain location that dropped both a ton of keys and chests and we'd repeatedly get enchanting gear that we'd flood the market with, earning billions of gold,allowing our guild to hit the big leagues really quickly.

Alas, we were almost the only roleplaying guild there, but we'd use that to our advantage to interact with other guilds.

But even then that isn't something I've been able to replicate again since.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

There's spoilers for the final episode and ep 11 out already (people got their BD Box a day early), tread carefully on twitter

Ignis fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Dec 7, 2017

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Yeah I stumbled onto the episode 11 preview.

At least we don't have to worry about 10 not being a conclusion as the ova is a very funny looking what if scenario.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

No that preview was just an ad for the bluray. I meant both episodes are up on the Internet right now.

The special episode is actually two small episodes together and one of them ends on a cliffhanger. It will be up on crunchyroll, though no idea when exactly. Maybe they'll up both together tomorrow.

Barent
Jun 15, 2007

Never die in vain.
I really wanted to like Black Desert but every time i play I bounce off hard and uninstall.

Also this show is v cute and good

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

E10 on crunchy :getin:

Thoughts:

It ended with wrapping up practically all the loose ends it needed to wrap up in regards to the main plot, and it was a fun ride. If I didn't know there was material beyond this, I would have never guessed

iospace fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Dec 8, 2017

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

iospace posted:

E10 on crunchy :getin:

HAZUKA-SHINU!

Good introduction now where's season two? :(

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Yeah that ending was completely satisfying.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

AHHHHH that was wonderful. 10/10. Honestly I don't think I want a second season. That was great as a complete series and I don't think they could improve upon it.

There Bias Two fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Dec 8, 2017

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
That was adorable and I'm glad I picked this show up.

Crunchyroll have announced they will be streaming the bonus episode next week.

quote:

In an interview with Recovery of an MMO Junkie Producer Satoshi Taira earlier this week from Manga Tokyo, Crunchyroll's role in the series' production was revealed, as well as news that Crunchyroll would also be distributing the 11th episode. We are happy to confirm this and announce that you will be able to watch this special episode on Crunchyroll next Friday, December 15th.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
:unsmith:

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
I mentioned this earlier, but this show was kind of a "Eh, I guess I'll check it out," at the beginning of this season. I'm really happy that I did, and that it turned out to be one of the best animes this season/year. Such a good ending!

I'm also going through the relationship questions promo they did, and it's not nearly as cringey as I thought it would be. They only did a handful of questions, so they probably picked the good ones and avoided the likely many awful ones.

quote:

Whats the best way to totally 100% avoid human contact
Play more MMOs

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Nominated for sleeper hit of 2017 :3:

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

now point me to the manga

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
That really was a very impressive adaptation. The artist they had doing the long-distance shots in the apartment scene had some odd quirks, though - in particular, they drew the characters with really tiny hands.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
The last scene :kimchi:

I wouldn't mind a spinoff or OVA that just followed Koiwai playing MMOs.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
I want a talking clothes dryer. :mad:

Mordaedil posted:

All of you played MMOs and here I just played a gay cleric in a small server in NWN.

Played a bunch of NWN stuff on various RP servers too, had a lot of fun and good memories of fictional people and adventures as a result. :kimchi:

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Just hold hands play MMOs together already!

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

In the OVA they hit the erp servers.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
lol cock blockin dryer

edit:
woop good ending

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Dec 9, 2017

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

chumbler posted:

In the OVA they hit the erp servers.

ugh, i wish i never heard of RP ever since ppl kept posting it in PF

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

morimori.jpg

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
I'm melting, help.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Srice posted:

As someone who played in the vanilla WoW years that min/maxing element was always a part of MMO communities and you're only deluding yourself if you think otherwise.

WoW was the point where hitting maximum level and being skill capped was part of design.

I used to play Asheron's Call which didn't even so much as provide you with a map of the world, the game mechnically relied on portals between random places in a huge un-gated world to such an extent that the plot revolved around them, and the maximum power level was set ridiculously high with a clan system with an in-game power mechanic that sees each player give a percentage of bonus experience to the officer above them in the clan, so to reach the peak power point you basically had to lead a clan of 50+ people for a year. That game was so early that instancing didn't exist and people stood in Disneyland-like queues waiting for monsters to respawn to take turns killing them, so it didn't do everything right, but one thing it drat well drilled into you is that some people are just born unlucky and are never going to traverse the planet like a pimp owning everything in sight.

Whereas WoW is structured to make every player feel like a burly powerful superman against most things eventually, and the plot sort of treats you like one, unless faction war is afoot and suddenly your godslayer is just a nameless dude who is second banana to Blizzard's heroes.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Someone told me EQ was a game for broken ppl...

Anyways, what's stopping players from spending time around town hubs or MB? Ik I see tons of them around the endgame locations and chatting. The overworld map has some FATES/events up and Hunts which bring some people around to check areas.

In FFXIV they just added cross-world FL and now you can create parties w/friends on different worlds and then meet up for raids/PF. Ofc the most difficult problem isn't finding people but trying to synchronize schedules across time zones.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
The only thing I really miss about old WoW is how easy it was to be an absolute monster on your own or with other like-minded players. I think if I ever went back I'd probably play on one of the new classic servers, roll a rogue or a druid, get some decent blues/greens and then just camp a specific area full time like that guy PC gamer recently wrote an article about.

http://www.pcgamer.com/meet-world-of-warcrafts-most-notorious-ganker/

I doubt they'll leave battlegrounds out of even a vanilla server tho so :rip: to that dream

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Craptacular! posted:

Asheron's Call...some people are just born unlucky

Poor Wi... took so long before anyone believed him.

VoLaTiLe
Oct 21, 2010

He's Behind you
I liked this anime the ending was good, the main character and the dude were adorable.

If that was the last episode it was just long enough to wrap everything up before I got bored

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Change Pause to Post.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

So did anyone ever figure out who was that one girl in the ED?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Argas posted:

So did anyone ever figure out who was that one girl in the ED?

Which one? The girl in the red dress was Koiwai’s avatar, and the girl standing at the door was the catgirl guild member.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Darth Walrus posted:

Which one? The girl in the red dress was Koiwai’s avatar,
She doesn't look muscular and Koiwai mentioned his avatar was based on another person, so it's probably a photo of them

• Locked thread