Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rekinom
Jan 26, 2006

~ shady midair gas hustler ~

~ good hair ~

~ colt 45 ~

The Unholy Ghost posted:

But would you agree the Army is to be avoided if possible?

No I mean the positive people are in the sunken place. But yeah, avoid all of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
To be quite honest dude I don't think it's a good idea to even commission in 2018, unless you really really want to be a commercial pilot eventually I guess.

Enlisting is probably good if your trying to escape the trap/the territories, though. But just consider that out of all the people I've met who've been in the military in real life, none of the ones who enlisted after Desert Storm didn't hate almost everything about it.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Fallom posted:

I’ve been in 8 years and have never actually encountered the evangelical stuff people keep talking about. I’m not sure how it would even come up.

My last flight chief asked everyone (individually) where they went to church during his introduction.

Clavavisage
Nov 12, 2011

The Unholy Ghost posted:

But would you agree the Army is to be avoided if possible?

Have you ever spent time in county lock up? If so, did you get along with other inmates or did you get shanked? Either way, if you can answer that question then the Army might be for you.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

xsf421 posted:

My last flight chief asked everyone (individually) where they went to church during his introduction.

That's nuts. I think the most I've heard was "spiritual wellness is a pillar of resiliency" at an All Call every now and then and it was always caveated with "we don't mean any religion in particular or at all." There were definitely some churchy folk in my units but they kept it to themselves unless you were interested.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I don't get it so much anymore because I live in a nice state where Evangelicals aren't in the majority. That said our Lt is super Catholic and one of my friends claimed that he tied right up to the line of telling him he needed to accept Jesus into his heart last time he got in trouble. Said friend is a really angry person so his description of events may not be entirely accurate. Lt is also in the Knights of Malta, so my friend calls him a Knight of Malted Milk Balls behind his back.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Casimir Radon posted:

Lt is also in the Knights of Malta, so my friend calls him a Knight of Malted Milk Balls behind his back.

fuckin lol

Knives Amilli
Sep 26, 2014

The Unholy Ghost posted:

I'm not sure if my experience (continual struggle) with trying to sign up for OTS school is more related to this year's overpopulation of Air Force officers, my recruiter, or the recruiting process in general.

Larry Parrish posted:

To be quite honest dude I don't think it's a good idea to even commission in 2018, unless you really really want to be a commercial pilot eventually I guess.

Enlisting is probably good if your trying to escape the trap/the territories, though. But just consider that out of all the people I've met who've been in the military in real life, none of the ones who enlisted after Desert Storm didn't hate almost everything about it.

Casimir Radon posted:

If your local guard or reserve wing is absolute garbage I could see going active or driving to the next wing even if they're out of state to stay away from them. I was deployed with a bunch of people from a particular wing, and almost everyone I met from that wing was a giant piece of poo poo. They weren't southerners either.

Current Guard guy who is in OTS right now.

I, like you, Unholy Ghost also was languishing after college. I was Guard guy who struck out with commissioning in my home unit and looked elsewhere for other states with faster growing missions (more on that later). I joined a cyber unit as a enlisted member and got lucky as there was a huge push for officers and here I am in Alabama for a few more weeks.

So as far as Commissioning in the Guard goes, its optimal that you try to find a job that 1. you genuinely have interest in, 2. has civilian applicability 3. is a hot job in the military. I got lucky once again that I'm commissioning as a CyberOperations Officer since it fulfills 3 outta 3 categories (its a hot job and has tons of civilian applicability and I have interest in IT even though I know next to nothing about it). Remember you more than likely will be a weekend warrior barring you get a full time job at your unit so look for Officer jobs that net you the best chance in the Civilian world (Cyber, Flying, Intelligence, Acquisitions, Contracting seem to be the most popular jobs to achieve this).

Going back to my statement about faster growing missions? At that time (around 2016) only units with Intelligence, Cyber, and Drones were fast growing. Since that time my original unit has been commissioning like crazy. Air Force and Guard are growing and even here at OTS you see the proof as a poo poo ton of non priors, 10+ year enlisted and Guard people are commissioning (and more non-prior service Guard Officer candidates than I ever thought Id see).

While it can be a year to 18 month process to get from packet to Maxwell, the window seems to be extremely open right now.

The Unholy Ghost
Feb 19, 2011

Knives Amilli posted:

Current Guard guy who is in OTS right now.

I, like you, Unholy Ghost also was languishing after college. I was Guard guy who struck out with commissioning in my home unit and looked elsewhere for other states with faster growing missions (more on that later). I joined a cyber unit as a enlisted member and got lucky as there was a huge push for officers and here I am in Alabama for a few more weeks.

So as far as Commissioning in the Guard goes, its optimal that you try to find a job that 1. you genuinely have interest in, 2. has civilian applicability 3. is a hot job in the military. I got lucky once again that I'm commissioning as a CyberOperations Officer since it fulfills 3 outta 3 categories (its a hot job and has tons of civilian applicability and I have interest in IT even though I know next to nothing about it). Remember you more than likely will be a weekend warrior barring you get a full time job at your unit so look for Officer jobs that net you the best chance in the Civilian world (Cyber, Flying, Intelligence, Acquisitions, Contracting seem to be the most popular jobs to achieve this).

Going back to my statement about faster growing missions? At that time (around 2016) only units with Intelligence, Cyber, and Drones were fast growing. Since that time my original unit has been commissioning like crazy. Air Force and Guard are growing and even here at OTS you see the proof as a poo poo ton of non priors, 10+ year enlisted and Guard people are commissioning (and more non-prior service Guard Officer candidates than I ever thought Id see).

While it can be a year to 18 month process to get from packet to Maxwell, the window seems to be extremely open right now.

The Guard (National Guard?) is super part-time though, isn't it? Like, one weekend per month and then two weeks in the summer? It's not something you can live off of, unless I'm missing part of this.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

The Unholy Ghost posted:

The Guard (National Guard?) is super part-time though, isn't it? Like, one weekend per month and then two weeks in the summer? It's not something you can live off of, unless I'm missing part of this.

If you get a Technician slot it can be full time.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
On the officer side, that's almost impossible to do from being a civilian. The traditional guardsmen get first crack at it before its even opened to the public, and the civilian has a LOT more hoops to jump through before they're full up. As a group commander told me, it would take about a year for me to come in from the IRR and be useful to the unit. If I were a TG, it would be a couple of weeks to a couple of months, tops.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

The Unholy Ghost posted:

Well, if you aren't aircrew it is. If you go Army Guard aviation you'll be awarded plenty of additional flight training periods to make your minimums and if you're a rated guy it can add up to quite a bit. Plus there are always schools to go to, short tours at different active duty locations, and ADOS opportunities as the JFHQ. You can Guard bum pretty heavily if you put a little effort into it.

Not sure how this is now that the wars have wound down, but they used to have plenty of part time gigs to work with.

Knives Amilli
Sep 26, 2014

SimonCat posted:

Well, if you aren't aircrew it is. If you go Army Guard aviation you'll be awarded plenty of additional flight training periods to make your minimums and if you're a rated guy it can add up to quite a bit. Plus there are always schools to go to, short tours at different active duty locations, and ADOS opportunities as the JFHQ. You can Guard bum pretty heavily if you put a little effort into it.

Not sure how this is now that the wars have wound down, but they used to have plenty of part time gigs to work with.

Yea this.

Even as a traditional guardsman, in certain career fields you can be pretty much full time without being in a Full Time Technician or Active Guard Reserve slot. Especially with the HOT career fields like Flying, Intel, Cyber, Medical where there are alot of schools/conferences, training events, short mobilizations, planning/scheduling, or even short active duty opportunities.

Knives Amilli fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Oct 7, 2018

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The two weeks a year isn't actually necessary to have a good year. You could skate by on just 11 drills a year and nothing else.

Rekinom
Jan 26, 2006

~ shady midair gas hustler ~

~ good hair ~

~ colt 45 ~
You don't even need to be a technician or an AGR. We have people who just straight up go on orders for months and months and months. But, if you still want to be a technician and they figure out that you're not a insufferable shithead after a while of being on orders, then you can probably score a technician position pretty easy if the unit is undermanned.

The Unholy Ghost
Feb 19, 2011
Looks like going in as an officer is out of the question for both Army and Air Force.

Guess I'm entering the Air Force enlisted. Hopefully I can at least get a good signing bonus.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpatdRd2LGk

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

The Unholy Ghost posted:

Looks like going in as an officer is out of the question for both Army and Air Force.

Guess I'm entering the Air Force enlisted. Hopefully I can at least get a good signing bonus.

Good signing bonuses are usually tied to the lovely jobs that nobody wants, or that nobody wants to stay in. They don't give bonuses for the jobs everyone loves.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Start working on your story about how you turned down an O slot because you wanted to work for a living

It'll carry you all the way to Senior

The Unholy Ghost
Feb 19, 2011

Fallom posted:

Start working on your story about how you turned down an O slot because you wanted to work for a living

It'll carry you all the way to Senior

Ha, I didn't turn down an O slot. I couldn't even get an interview. And I think the reasons why make sense: there's like five different pools that get selected for officers before civilians. It's natural for my recruiter to go AWOL.

Best case scenario, I'm stuck at home for another year waiting to go before an officer board. I'm so tired of being stuck and trapped that all I can do is make a decision and have something happen.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Hoooooooo boy.

Thread's gonna get fun, folks.

Edit: Go get an AF tattoo before basic.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

That’s not how you tell the story jfc

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school

Dinosaur Gum
At least put some marketable jobs down on your job list when you do go in. Your recruiter might strongarm you into an open aptitude so pick electronics if it comes down to it. Also he may just say you're going to be a mechanic on a jet and you're kinda screwed if that happens

The Unholy Ghost
Feb 19, 2011
I'm planning to ask to be a Cryptologic Language Analyst. Anyone have experience there? I heard it's not too bad for an enlisted position.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

How do you feel about Nebraska? Because you're going to spend a lot of time in Nebraska.

Also, that's a flying position on the Rivet Joint...just so you're aware. This line isn't meant to dissuade you, but just so you know your job will be on an airplane built in the early 60s.

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

I need to go scrap some money together cause my avatar is just sad.
You'll never leave Nebraska for more than a couple of years. Enjoy.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Fly, Fight, Lose Out On Signing Bonus Because It Only Falls On The Years You Are Not Re-enlisting.

The Unholy Ghost
Feb 19, 2011
Well honestly, if I'm not getting shot at and I'm getting a decent wage, I'll be pretty drat happy in regards to the military.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

You're in one of the most important airborne targets in the world. I don't believe any have been shot down, but their predecessor aircraft were.

This happens, too.

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent
The Nebraska/Rivet Joint talk is only for the Airborne version (1A8). Regular (1N3) Cryptologic Language Analysts mostly sit in windowless buildings doing shift work (and endless short tours to Osan if you pull Korean). PM me if you have detailed questions.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Oh, whoops.

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent
If they're focusing on signing bonus, they'll probably end up aircrew anyway so it's not like you gave bad information.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I highly recommend not signing up for anything remotely related to shift work, or, indeed, the United States military in general

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

Some things can't be unseen

The Unholy Ghost posted:

I'm planning to ask to be a Cryptologic Language Analyst. Anyone have experience there? I heard it's not too bad for an enlisted position.

Absolutely you should do this, I'm a linguist and everything rules. Just keep in mind you can't choose your language at all (they let you write down your preferences, then they look at the sheet, laugh, and throw it away) because it's all "needs of the Air Force," and your first assignment will probably suck poo poo, but after that you're golden.

Edit: CLA has both a ground and an airborne component. If its 1N3 you're ground, if it's 1A8 it's air.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
I enlisted as a crypto linguist (non flying) and I was not prepared for the amount of studying/classwork that was going to be required to learn Chinese to baseline fluency in 63 weeks.

Just a heads up, you will have to do a lot of studying. If you're avoiding college because you'd just be farting around and wasting time/money, you're going to have a tough time in linguist training.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

For real, other AFSCs are full of washouts from the linguist pipeline. I don't want to dampen your enthusiasm, but a LOT of students fail out of language training. Quite often at the very end of the pipeline, in the last stretch of proficiency testing.

If your heart is set on the job, by all means go for it, but otherwise go comm, get a clearance and some professional certs, and walk out in 4 to 6 years with a bunch of nice civilian job offers.

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

Softface posted:

Absolutely you should do this, I'm a linguist and everything rules. Just keep in mind you can't choose your language at all (they let you write down your preferences, then they look at the sheet, laugh, and throw it away) because it's all "needs of the Air Force," and your first assignment will probably suck poo poo, but after that you're golden.
The language choice thing has started to change recently. Right now something like 20-40% of new (A)CLA recruits should be able to get their language on their enlistment contract (via shredded AFSC). This was previously impossible due to stupid reasons, but that is allegedly fixed.

Big caveat: your contract language goes out the window if you get delayed at MEPS/Basic/EAUC and miss your planned DLI class start date.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE
The 1A8 RJ gig is starting to get better and better as the CENTCOM deployments die off and are replaced with EUCOM and PACOM taskings.

The problem is the 55th Wing. Ergo, your daily enjoyment is directly proportional to how you handle being treated like a child, office politics, and bureaucracy.

Good luck!

xaarman fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Oct 10, 2018

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I worked with two or three linguist dropouts in Command Post which is a concerning percentage considering we had a 14 man unit if you counted the officers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

Some things can't be unseen
Yeah, the washout rate from DLI is over 50%, it turns out learning a whole new language in about a year is really difficult! It doesn't help that they found a way to turn being stationed in Monterey, CA suck poo poo and the cadre is more focused on playing gently caress-gently caress mind games with the students than helping them pass. But if you can get through you're golden.