Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
And apparently it's all ArsenalFanTV's fault
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/apr/22/arsene-wenger-arsenal-hurtful-supporters

He's going to end up managing France after they flop at the World Cup, isn't he

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
It's a little sad to think that if Arsenal didn't decide to play Property Brothers right before the global recession and then sell majority stake to the cheapest oval office of an owner things might've gone better for Wenger.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

It's a little sad to think that if Arsenal didn't decide to play Property Brothers right before the global recession and then sell majority stake to the cheapest oval office of an owner things might've gone better for Wenger.

Kroenke is the reason I’m worried about the future. Someone else might do better than Wenger for a few years but I seriously doubt it was Wengers fault that Arsenal spent years selling the good players and bringing in budget alternatives

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
Don't know if that would have changed anything. Dein getting forced out and giving Wenger full autonomy was probably the big turning point. Losing Pat Rice didn't help either. But the alternative to losing Dein would have been getting Usmanov as majority owner.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

fart simpson posted:

Kroenke is the reason I’m worried about the future. Someone else might do better than Wenger for a few years but I seriously doubt it was Wengers fault that Arsenal spent years selling the good players and bringing in budget alternatives

No, the problem with Kroenke is that he’s completely and totally hands off. I’m not convinced he could name more than two or three Arsenal players.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Mo won PFA Player of the Year

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

EvilHawk posted:

Mo won PFA Player of the Year

Gonna be honest, that's some poo poo. He's scored a lot of goals but de Bruyne was the heart of the most dominant team in ages.

Edit: Looks like Sane won the young player of the year award so that's nice for him.

pik_d fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Apr 22, 2018

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

pik_d posted:

Gonna be honest, that's some poo poo. He's scored a lot of goals but de Bruyne was the heart of the most dominant team in ages.

I think that's harmed De Bruyne to be honest. City are fantastic almost everywhere, so it's kinda hard for him to stand out. IIRC he's not breaking any records for assists or anything which makes the headlines. Meanwhile Salah is clearly our best player, he's the best striker in the league by a country mile (and possibly the best in the world), he has that individual draw.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

EvilHawk posted:

I think that's harmed De Bruyne to be honest. City are fantastic almost everywhere, so it's kinda hard for him to stand out. IIRC he's not breaking any records for assists or anything which makes the headlines. Meanwhile Salah is clearly our best player, he's the best striker in the league by a country mile (and possibly the best in the world), he has that individual draw.

Yeah but he's already going to get the golden boot, why make the player of the year basically the same thing?

Also I disagree, he has stood out as City's most important player.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Brony Car posted:

Why did Wenger and Keown fall out?

Never seen anything definitive though Keown said recently that he wanted to use video footage of past performances to show players errors in their positioning, stances etc but Wenger wasn’t having any of it. Wenger argued that showing players footage of their mistakes would create a bigger psychological problem whereas Keown argued that not showing them was compounding the problems.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

pik_d posted:

He doesnt get a trophy for this

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

pik_d posted:

Yeah but he's already going to get the golden boot, why make the player of the year basically the same thing?

It's not just the golden boot, he's equaled the 38-game scoring record and is likely to break it since Liverpool still have three games to play. That's beyond just "scored a lot of goals" territory.

The fact that he also played a key role in Liverpool knocking City and de Bruyne out of the CL definitely helps too.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

pik_d posted:

In years when someone smashes records (e.g. Salah, Kane etc.) the golden boot and the POTY are pretty much always unified. Goals make headlines.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

De Bruyne will feel hard done by to not win POTY but Salah has been much better in the second half of the season and that's what stays in everyone's mind. Overall they've probably had just as good a season as each other.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Bogan Krkic posted:

De Bruyne will feel hard done by to not win POTY but Salah has been much better in the second half of the season and that's what stays in everyone's mind. Overall they've probably had just as good a season as each other.

It all evens out in the end.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

It's a funny old game

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Much as it pains me to say, Salah probably deserves whatever plaudits and awards come his way this season and Klopp deserves credit for getting this sort of performance out of him.

It's really fine margins, too. No one (including me) is going to argue Pogba has had a good season, yet he's only behind the likes of De Bruyne in assists, in far fewer games played.

EC10
Jan 17, 2005

We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like NIN---PO!

Bacon Terrorist posted:

Never seen anything definitive though Keown said recently that he wanted to use video footage of past performances to show players errors in their positioning, stances etc but Wenger wasn’t having any of it. Wenger argued that showing players footage of their mistakes would create a bigger psychological problem whereas Keown argued that not showing them was compounding the problems.

jesus christ lol

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Ninpo posted:

Much as it pains me to say, Salah probably deserves whatever plaudits and awards come his way this season and Klopp deserves credit for getting this sort of performance out of him.

It's really fine margins, too. No one (including me) is going to argue Pogba has had a good season, yet he's only behind the likes of De Bruyne in assists, in far fewer games played.

Pogba has five fewer assists and three fewer goals than De Bruyne. Sane and Silva also have more assists than Pogba.

To your point, Pogba has played 11 fewer games than De Bruyne.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

In Wenger’s defense, he wouldn’t have time to manage the team if he had to show Mustafi video of all of his mistakes.

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Revisionism is inevitable, but there was infrastructure around Arsene's successes that played a big part and to make reference to a recent post I made about Mourinho, Wenger's legacy will always be tarnished by his failure to adapt to the changing face of football.

Once rivals caught up on "maybe players shouldn't drink a lot of alcohol" and "there's value out there in them foreign markets" coupled with not sharing his distaste for spending money/defending, the cracks started to show and have only widened the longer he's stuck with his stubborn stance on how football should be. Wenger doesn't have a steely mean streak, I'd argue that him not keeping/recruiting leaders akin to Adams and Viera, when Viera left the club, has been far more damaging to Arsenal's successes than the move to the Emirates was. He's had money in recent seasons and the same mental fragility has remained, whether it's been physically running out of steam towards the business end of a season, or mentally collapsing when pressure is on. Arsenal's best league finish in recent memory was 2nd, achieved when teams like City, Chelsea and United all conspired to be poo poo enough to hand Leicester a league title.

Ninpo fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Apr 23, 2018

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Shrapnig posted:

Pogba has five fewer assists and three fewer goals than De Bruyne. Sane and Silva also have more assists than Pogba.

To your point, Pogba has played 11 fewer games than De Bruyne.

Sane and Silva would be "the likes of De Bruyne" that I could not be arsed to go and look up.

Being single figures behind the arguable king maker in that City team in 11 fewer appearances is admirable and probably tells its own story. My actual point was about how fine the margins are, because even given that productivity, Pogba has not had what anyone would consider "a good season". There are probably other stats like "mistakes leading to a goal", or if they're even tracked, "player defending against assist maker/scorer" that show Pogba up in a harsh light. The Ramble I think mentioned it being interesting to see individual players' distance covered in a match (they only make public team distance covered as a whole/average per player), Pogba certainly carries an air of the Ozil about him when United aren't in possession.

Ninpo fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Apr 23, 2018

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Ninpo posted:

"there's value out there in them foreign markets"

This is kind of a non-starter because the restriction on foreign players in Europe hamstrung teams like Manchester United who had several pivotal players from outside of England in the early 90s but could only play three at a time, and was lifted the same year Wenger took over at Arsenal.

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Shrapnig posted:

This is kind of a non-starter because the restriction on foreign players in Europe hamstrung teams like Manchester United who had several pivotal players from outside of England in the early 90s but could only play three at a time, and was lifted the same year Wenger took over at Arsenal.

How is it a non starter when Wenger was actually not hamstrung at all by his knowledge of foreign players, particularly French gems like Petit and Viera? Wenger came to England with that insight, for a time the rest were adapting and playing catch up.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

If de bruyne had kept up his performances from the start of the season he'd have won POTY. Salah has maintained his and has been incredibly consistent in banging in goals against whoever Liverpool play.

City without De Bruyne still win the league, Liverpool without Salah maybe don't even make the top 4

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

If de bruyne had kept up his performances from the start of the season he'd have won POTY. Salah has maintained his and has been incredibly consistent in banging in goals against whoever Liverpool play.

City without De Bruyne still win the league, Liverpool without Salah maybe don't even make the top 4

pretty much this

I did enjoy Swansea for some reason giving him five seconds and three yards of space in his favourite shooting spot today though

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards
Individual awards in football are pointless.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Eau de MacGowan posted:

pretty much this

I did enjoy Swansea for some reason giving him five seconds and three yards of space in his favourite shooting spot today though

That's the rules when you play the champions, right?

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Shrapnig posted:

I’d argue it’s a valid point because at the time Wenger was famed for signing these amazing players that were not on the radar for most teams. He had an advantage due to having managed all over the world and being obsessed with world football. However other teams obviously started investigating the same markets, today it would be very hard to pull the same trick. Even a mid-level non-achieving team in a minor European league has scouting knowledge that covers such markets now.

Can you imagine people in England jizzing their pants about Thomas Lemar if he was around in 1996? Admittedly I was a kid back then but I don’t remember much hype about foreign teenagers plying their trade in foreign leagues back then, of course another factor these days is the internet and everything that brings with it.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Given Silva's injury history and some of the goals KDB scored this year, I would say this claim is likely but not certain.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Bacon Terrorist posted:

I’d argue it’s a valid point because at the time Wenger was famed for signing these amazing players that were not on the radar for most teams. He had an advantage due to having managed all over the world and being obsessed with world football. However other teams obviously started investigating the same markets, today it would be very hard to pull the same trick. Even a mid-level non-achieving team in a minor European league has scouting knowledge that covers such markets now.

Can you imagine people in England jizzing their pants about Thomas Lemar if he was around in 1996? Admittedly I was a kid back then but I don’t remember much hype about foreign teenagers plying their trade in foreign leagues back then, of course another factor these days is the internet and everything that brings with it.

This is less to do with scouting and more agents hawking their wares all over the money leagues.

Swansea's senior scouting system is almost entirely "players who have scored against us" and "players who the Ayew brothers' agent recommends". The club only employs scouts for development-level players.

It's not unusual for top level clubs, and the right manager and backroom team can still make a huge impact via recruitment.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

sassassin posted:

This is less to do with scouting and more agents hawking their wares all over the money leagues.

Swansea's senior scouting system is almost entirely "players who have scored against us" and "players who the Ayew brothers' agent recommends". The club only employs scouts for development-level players.

It's not unusual for top level clubs, and the right manager and backroom team can still make a huge impact via recruitment.

I see your point, I just think in contrast to Swansea there are a lot of clubs that did the Newcastle model of ‘buy a load of alright looking players from a certain league and see who plays well/can be sold for a profit’ which wasn’t a thing pre-Wenger and squeezed those talent pools a lot more in addition to the agents creaming everything in the search for better contracts.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
Everyone's talking about assists like Salah doesn't have any to go along with his 31 goals.

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

Personally, I think player of the year should go to the best player, Mohamed Salah. Apparently its not that simple though?

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

The FA have decided that punching a player in the stomach isn't a red card offence.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

EvilHawk posted:

The FA have decided that punching a player in the stomach isn't a red card offence.

That wasn’t a punch, it’s a term of endearment in Egypt

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Strawman posted:

Personally, I think player of the year should go to the best player, Mohamed Salah. Apparently its not that simple though?

It's almost as if "best" isn't an objective measure of footballers and there are many attributes that people might weight differently? I dunno though give it to the guy with the biggest numbers.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

De Bruyne is a Liverpool supporter so I bet he's v happy for Salah.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

sebzilla posted:

It's almost as if "best" isn't an objective measure of footballers and there are many attributes that people might weight differently? I dunno though give it to the guy with the biggest numbers.

objectively, it should go to the player I like the most, which for the twelfth consecutive year is john o'shea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.

sebzilla posted:

do you know how the PFA best player award is decided?

e: hell, do you even know what the PFA is?

• Locked thread