Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

greasythepirate
Aug 13, 2016
Glad I check Kael's post history every now and then. I almost missed this beautiful gem:

https://www.reddit.com/r/sto/comments/954bv8/question_about_the_sto_dev_team/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

greasythepirate posted:

Glad I check Kael's post history every now and then. I almost missed this beautiful gem:

https://www.reddit.com/r/sto/comments/954bv8/question_about_the_sto_dev_team/

Just a quick reminder that based on your dumb transphobic poo poo from the last thread, you should really shut the gently caress up.

With that said, more diversity in Cryptic's team would be very welcome, especially given how toxic this particular fan base is. I've never understood how Star Trek fans, of all people, manage to unironically hate seeing queer representation in missions, or spew endless alt-right bullshit in zone chat.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Coq au Nandos posted:

Just a quick reminder that based on your dumb transphobic poo poo from the last thread, you should really shut the gently caress up.

With that said, more diversity in Cryptic's team would be very welcome, especially given how toxic this particular fan base is. I've never understood how Star Trek fans, of all people, manage to unironically hate seeing queer representation in missions, or spew endless alt-right bullshit in zone chat.

Trek's reputation for being progressive mainly came from TOS and TNG. Most of these kids grew up on VOY and ENT.

And thinking about it, I don't think there's been a queer NPC in STO since the Iconian War and the Klingon lesbians. Even then, Cryptic has admitted that their existence was an accident and the spy lady's love interest was meant to be male and there was a miscommunication between the writing team and the team making the missions themselves. I don't know when the Devidian story arc was revamped, but it added a second posthumous gay character who's dead by the time you arrive.

I don't think Cryptic deserves any significant credit for diversity as a result. Sure they have a token gay couple you see once for five seconds and are never mentioned again, and that's it.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Star Trek being a refuge for terrible loving nerds isn't really an anomaly - literally any sort of space opera bullshit attracts the absolute worst kind of nerd. If you've created a piece of media that has aliens and spacecraft in it, congratulations, your fans will make you want to kill yourself.

greasythepirate posted:

I still post here for some reason

Case in point.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Psycho Landlord posted:

Star Trek being a refuge for terrible loving nerds isn't really an anomaly - literally any sort of space opera bullshit attracts the absolute worst kind of nerd. If you've created a piece of media that has aliens and spacecraft in it, congratulations, your fans will make you want to kill yourself.

Case in point.

It's infectious and those same terrible loving nerds are in all sorts of fandoms now. Pick one, they're already in it.

STO is the anomaly in that it represents an MMO for one of them so they have a place to be terrible loving nerds in a video game.

The best way to approach STO is not as a fan of star trek but as a person prepared to deal with obsessive fans of star trek.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

An awful lot of right wingers seem to really love Star Trek, and I assume they just fast-forward past anything that isn't phasers and torpedoes because the Federation is an honest and earnest depiction of commie social justice utopia

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal
You also get the people who seem to think liking a show that is super progressive (by the standards of the loving 1960's) means that they are morally unimpeachable so anyone calling them on there poo poo is just proof that those drat SJWs just hate white dudes and are the real regressives.

bcott
Dec 3, 2017

Coq au Nandos posted:

With that said, more diversity in Cryptic's team would be very welcome, especially given how toxic this particular fan base is.

Seems to me that a some of the people in that Reddit thread believe someone doesn't exist if they don't publicly remind people who they work for on all their social media accounts. It doesn't seem like Cryptic puts any particular effort into seeking people out unless they're below their diversity-hire quotas. A lot of the more public faces have stated several times that they got the job because they knew someone already there or just applied because they liked the game. Free breakfast is a pretty good deal so if you're a person of diversity and you've got the skills they're looking for, be the difference you want to see and apply for one of the advertised positions: Cryptic Studios | Careers.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

That's a pretty good post-avatar combo.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
I finally worked it out one day.

There are two reasons people get really into Star Trek. One is the utopian vision of the future, the other is 'holodecks.'

greasythepirate
Aug 13, 2016

Coq au Nandos posted:

For anybody wondering what happened, I was playing a mission and thought one of the NPCs I saw looked kind of like the then CM. It wasn't an animal, or even an ugly character in any way. But apparently saying anything at all about someone who is trans makes you transphobic.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

greasythepirate posted:

For anybody wondering what happened, I was playing a mission and thought one of the NPCs I saw looked kind of like the then CM. It wasn't an animal, or even an ugly character in any way. But apparently saying anything at all about someone who is trans makes you transphobic.

You sought out and highlighted not one but two STO staff who just happened to be trans. But no, the problem is our reading of your intentions.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

FuturePastNow posted:

An awful lot of right wingers seem to really love Star Trek, and I assume they just fast-forward past anything that isn't phasers and torpedoes because the Federation is an honest and earnest depiction of commie social justice utopia
There's uniforms and hierarchy and authority. That's all that really matters to those sorts.

greasythepirate
Aug 13, 2016

Coq au Nandos posted:

You sought out and highlighted not one but two STO staff who just happened to be trans. But no, the problem is our reading of your intentions.

That's the awesome thing about the internet. You can always assume you know what someone else's intentions are and always be 100% right. Like how if I happened to be trans and identify more with another trans person on the dev team. And like how I could know you are transphobe for attacking me. Or maybe assuming someone means something they didn't actually say isn't always right.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

oh my god nobody cares

AGGGGH BEES
Apr 28, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Both of you are losers who play a bad star trek game, stop trying to score points on each other like you're playing a retarded soccer game.

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

I got 99 problems but the British ain't one.
You're both loving idiots and your posting is terrible. :frogout:

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

I miss FYAD

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Ugh lately I check this thread and I just wanna

fakemirage
Nov 6, 2012

Can't see the haters.
https://my.mixtape.moe/paxolt.mp4
(edit: mashup of this and this)

DancingShade posted:

:words:
Star Trek Discovery & whatever the new Picard show is will be the New Star Trek and future game content will reflect.
Stewart will probably just have a cameo appearance in the last episode of Discovery where he ends the historical simulation and exits the holodeck.

fakemirage fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Aug 9, 2018

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

fakemirage posted:

https://clips.twitch.tv/ZealousFriendlySushiTebowing
Stewart will probably just have a cameo appearance in the last episode of Discovery where he ends the historical simulation and exits the holodeck.

Bring back Fat Riker in a chef's uniform for the last episode too.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

I hope Picard uninstalls his xxxtreme_klingon_models.hlo mod while he's at it.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
Had some pubbie rage and call us all trumpkin chuds the other day. That’s unusual; it’s far more common to get raged at as some kind of social justice snowflake. Pubbies haven’t learned that I’m whatever pisses them off. I can go from bootstraps to fully automated luxury gay space communism to suit the mark.

greasythepirate
Aug 13, 2016
Listened to P1's latest podcast today with Geko interview. Their new idea to solve dead queues (which they are no longer calling "queues" now, but rather "Task Force Operations") is as follows:

They are creating a "join random queue" option that gives bonus rewards. However, by "random" it really means "fill empty slots in any existing queues". So if dude-bro wants to play a dead queue, he starts it up. Then anyone who picks the "random" option will get slotted into dude-bro's queue until it's full. He said it will work based on first come first serve, so after dude-bro's mission pops, the next guy who has a queue with empty slots will starting getting his slots filled with randos (insert joke here).

He also said that to encourage people going the random route, they will also make sure to include whatever the newest type of marks are into the bonus rewards for going random. So if a new rep comes out and you hate the new queues for it, you can also get those marks by doing the random queues. Also, the fact that they are adding a 6th tier to all existing reps will mean people are going to be playing those old rep queues again, at least for a while.

He also further emphasized that STO will be very DISCO focused going forward. Basically, since it is (currently) the only Trek show on the air, they want to get fans of the show to play the game by letting them play stuff related to the show, and that stuff is going to keep coming out on a regular basis; not just a one time expansion-type release. Of course, the new Picard show might mean they have to take that same stance with content from that era as well, meaning it would be content much closer to STO's actual time period.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Depressing but unsurprising. Somewhere, the non-Fed mains weep.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

greasythepirate posted:

Listened to P1's latest podcast today with Geko interview. Their new idea to solve dead queues (which they are no longer calling "queues" now, but rather "Task Force Operations") is as follows:

They are creating a "join random queue" option that gives bonus rewards. However, by "random" it really means "fill empty slots in any existing queues". So if dude-bro wants to play a dead queue, he starts it up. Then anyone who picks the "random" option will get slotted into dude-bro's queue until it's full. He said it will work based on first come first serve, so after dude-bro's mission pops, the next guy who has a queue with empty slots will starting getting his slots filled with randos (insert joke here).

He also said that to encourage people going the random route, they will also make sure to include whatever the newest type of marks are into the bonus rewards for going random. So if a new rep comes out and you hate the new queues for it, you can also get those marks by doing the random queues. Also, the fact that they are adding a 6th tier to all existing reps will mean people are going to be playing those old rep queues again, at least for a while.

He also further emphasized that STO will be very DISCO focused going forward. Basically, since it is (currently) the only Trek show on the air, they want to get fans of the show to play the game by letting them play stuff related to the show, and that stuff is going to keep coming out on a regular basis; not just a one time expansion-type release. Of course, the new Picard show might mean they have to take that same stance with content from that era as well, meaning it would be content much closer to STO's actual time period.

I don't hate the random queue idea, but it also seems like a more difficult and worse solution than just having a rotating calendar of featured queue. A good bunch of the old queues are good and fun though, so any action is good I guess. The problem with STO has never been lack of content, it's a lack of any incentive to play that content once you've maxed out reps etc.

The Disco stuff is going to be really hard to write around as Disco hasn't really explained how it fits in the canon quite yet. I would not be shocked at all to find out it's actually happening in yet another parallel universe.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Well that's pretty much a guarantee that on the off-chance we get any Klingon focused content it's going to be loving terrible.

:barf:

bij fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Aug 9, 2018

greasythepirate
Aug 13, 2016

Coq au Nandos posted:

The Disco stuff is going to be really hard to write around as Disco hasn't really explained how it fits in the canon quite yet. I would not be shocked at all to find out it's actually happening in yet another parallel universe.

Supposedly they are working "closely" with CBS to make sure that their story doesn't contradict the show. Also STO's STD content will apparently take place in the 6 month gap between the 2nd and 3rd episodes. So in theory they could tell a bunch of different stories about a bunch of different battles in that specific time period that don't directly/obviously contradict what is actually in the show after episode 3 picks up.

A couple other things I remembered after my previous post:

Besides Tilly, they want to explore Landry's backstory prior to joining the Discovery and why she is one of the "hardest characters we have seen in Trek".

We are apparently going to be be fighting a Klingon house made up mostly of female warriors.

He was asked about any worry that the new Picard show would contradict STO, and he said not really. He said if they need to retcon stuff they will, but just having a new Picard show to watch would be worth any trouble it caused that they needed to fix.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Potential BFF posted:

Well that's pretty much a guarantee that on the off-chance we get any Klingon focused content it's going to be loving terrible.

And of course the Romulans and our new friends the Dominion haven't shown up in STD at all.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Potential BFF posted:

REMAIN KLINGON

The good news is that by the end of S1 of Disco, the Klingons seem like they're going in a good direction again.

greasythepirate posted:

Also STO's STD content will apparently take place in the 6 month gap between the 2nd and 3rd episodes.

This is the bad news.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

Cythereal posted:

And of course the Romulans and our new friends the Dominion haven't shown up in STD at all.

Yeah this may be the real reason they finally said gently caress it and just let Romulans use the allied t5 and t6 boats.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Lagomorphic posted:

Yeah this may be the real reason they finally said gently caress it and just let Romulans use the allied t5 and t6 boats.

I still think that was added chiefly for the Dominion, and I suspect rejiggering the code to let the Dominion use allied t5 and t6 ships meant they'd be available to Romulans as well.

Nevertheless, I'm not excited about this. I thought STD was a mediocre sci-fi prestige drama with a thin veneer of Trek slapped on it (seriously, one of the lead writers said they wrote the Klingons as a stand-in for ISIS), and if that's STO's future then I suspect we may soon long for the days of Delta Rising and Iconian War.

On the upside, I wouldn't be surprised if free Crossfield for everyone because CBS wants us to love STD.

Really, though, that's the name of your protagonist ship's class? Constitution, Galaxy, Defiant, Intrepid, Enterprise, Crossfield. One of these does not belong.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Apparently STD season 2 is going to do something different with the Klingons.

Hopefully "different" means no more space David Koresh flying around in veiny Xenomorph dicks.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Coq au Nandos posted:

REMAIN KLINGON

I really want playable disco super klingons in the game

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
tkuvma was wise

"Humans, vulcans, tellerites, and filthy andorians"

he knew what was up

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Potential BFF posted:

Apparently STD season 2 is going to do something different with the Klingons.

Hopefully "different" means no more space David Koresh flying around in veiny Xenomorph dicks.

They're giving them hair.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Preechr posted:

Had some pubbie rage and call us all trumpkin chuds the other day. That’s unusual; it’s far more common to get raged at as some kind of social justice snowflake. Pubbies haven’t learned that I’m whatever pisses them off. I can go from bootstraps to fully automated luxury gay space communism to suit the mark.

We've been doing that since launch. If we kept records in a scientific study manner we could probably host a TED Talk on how much the average MMO player lacks with regards to general learning capability.

fakemirage
Nov 6, 2012

Can't see the haters.

hakimashou posted:

I really want playable disco super klingons in the game
Only true Star Trek fans play as the canonically correct Disco KDF.

Dalris Othaine
Oct 14, 2013

I think, therefore I am inevitable.

greasythepirate posted:

Supposedly they are working "closely" with CBS to make sure that their story doesn't contradict the show. Also STO's STD content will apparently take place in the 6 month gap between the 2nd and 3rd episodes. So in theory they could tell a bunch of different stories about a bunch of different battles in that specific time period that don't directly/obviously contradict what is actually in the show after episode 3 picks up.

Stuff like this still weirds me out a bit. Since when is STO a "thing"?

(i know the answers are simultaneously "never" and "since they put more star trek on the air" but still)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
So with the upcoming "join a random queue" button i've been telling people in NoPPS we will be distributing questionnaires to determine which queues people like the least, if anyone wants to actually make such a questionnaire.