Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Mu Zeta posted:

Does Bryan Singer claim a Golden Globe for Best Picture now. Typical for hollywood rapist to be awarded.

IIRC he didn't work enough to get an official credit per whatever union rules there are, so essentially no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

From what I remember though, he is credited as the director in the end credits.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I didn't see BR yet but there was a lot of buzz that is was Queen fanfic.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

What the gently caress is the Kominsky Method and why has it beat out Mrs Maisel and the Good Place

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Rhyno posted:

I didn't see BR yet but there was a lot of buzz that is was Queen fanfic.
Didn't Brian May and Roger Taylor have a lot of creative control over the movie and basically molded it to be the story they wanted told? I mean Freddie Mercury's dead so it's not like he could have a say in it, so it sounds like the remainder of the band had final say over the choices the movie made.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
I guess I'll see it then. I mean, an at least mediocre portrayal of Queen (Freddie) is better than none at all. It just means more Queen (Freddie) stuff.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Didn't Brian May and Roger Taylor have a lot of creative control over the movie and basically molded it to be the story they wanted told? I mean Freddie Mercury's dead so it's not like he could have a say in it, so it sounds like the remainder of the band had final say over the choices the movie made.

I think that was part of the criticism, they embellished actual history a bit too much and there's still enough people around who remember what actually went down.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Didn't Brian May and Roger Taylor have a lot of creative control over the movie and basically molded it to be the story they wanted told?

Yes, May has dubbed himself the keeper of Freddie's legacy and was responsible for the sanitization of the script.

swickles posted:

IIRC he didn't work enough to get an official credit per whatever union rules there are, so essentially no.

No, the DGA decided that since Singer had shot more than two-thirds of the movie before going on walkabout, he got the sole director credit. Dexter Fletcher was given an executive producer credit.

swickles posted:

It doesn't hurt that he basically sang everything instead of just dubbing Mercury's voice over the performances.

Malek did a decent amount of his own singing, but they inserted stems of Mercury's singing as well as dubbed over him:

quote:

According to Rolling Stone, that's because the singing in the movie is an amalgamation of things: "Most singing scenes in the movie rely on either vocal stems from Queen master tapes or new recordings by Marc Martel, a Canadian Christian rock singer whose voice is practically identical to the late frontman’s."

Timby fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Jan 7, 2019

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Did you know that 10% of all people from Iceland are Bjork

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

precision posted:

Did you know that 10% of all people from Iceland are Bjork
I went to Iceland like 5 years ago and saw a Bjork quote printed on one of the windows of the Reykjavik airport. True story.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
The general public's reverence for Queen and more specifically Bohemian Rhapsody is loving weird to me. Like, it's fine. It's not a masterpiece or some poo poo.

Also, can we talk about how hip hop is misogynistic while fat bottom girls has been a thing for 40 years.

whos that broooown fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Jan 7, 2019

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

kittenmittons posted:

The general public's reverence for Queen and more specifically Bohemian Rhapsody is loving weird to me. Like, it's fine. It's not a masterpiece or some poo poo.

Mercury had an amazing voice and the band owned and had a p varied sound.

Tho I do agree Bohemian Rhapsody is ... overdone? idk. I still think it's incredible but I don't get hype to hear it these days. I'd rather bop to Good Old Fashioned Loverboy or somethin.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
Wayne's World

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Also yeah this is a big part of it, at least w/r/t Rhapsody's popularity.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Idk why she even thought taking that role would be a good idea in the first place, but this is pretty good:

https://twitter.com/davidmackau/status/1082081785855598594

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Idk why she even thought taking that role would be a good idea in the first place, but this is pretty good:

https://twitter.com/davidmackau/status/1082081785855598594

lmao Emma Stone is a gem

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
The only real criticism I have seen of Bohemian Rhapsody is that it changes the timeline a bit and other minor stuff, given that it is not a documentary or a biography that seems fair.

All the rumors about how Freddie was going to die in the middle of the movie and that it would be all about Queen turned out to be false.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Oasx posted:

The only real criticism I have seen of Bohemian Rhapsody is that it changes the timeline a bit and other minor stuff, given that it is not a documentary or a biography that seems fair.

All the rumors about how Freddie was going to die in the middle of the movie and that it would be all about Queen turned out to be false.

It seems like a decent enough flick that I'll watch when it's on streaming, mostly for Malek and the tunes.

I heard some kerfuffle about bi erasure/the portrayal of Mercury's sexuality, but idk from what I've read about the portrayal of Mercury's sex life, it sounds p accurate to what we do know about it. He was rly private man and nobody but him could really tell us how he identified anyway. Like there's an exchange in the movie where he comes out to Mary Austin and she goes 'no bro i think you're gay', and that's the scene people seem to be stuck on? But as far as I know that's a story Mary Austin has told about his coming out before so :shrug:

If there's more to it than that, idk as obviously I haven't seen it and can't speak to it. I'm more concerned about what I've heard about the handling of some of his more prominent lovers and the gay scene at the time, at any rate.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Queen owns in all ways and their music is the soundtrack of life.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Rhyno posted:

Queen owns in all ways and their music is the soundtrack of life.

:yeah:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
ESPECIALLY THE HIGHLANDER SOUNDTRACK

FIGHT ME

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Queen were objectively good in the way that like Prince or Madonna are objectively good

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The best Queen movie is their Montreal concert film (the 2007 version, though, not the 1981 version) because it captures the band at their peak, just after "Under Pressure" but just before Hot Space.

I haven't seen Bohemian Rhapsody because I have a hard time taking musician biopics seriously post-Walk Hard.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

esperterra posted:

It seems like a decent enough flick that I'll watch when it's on streaming, mostly for Malek and the tunes.

I heard some kerfuffle about bi erasure/the portrayal of Mercury's sexuality, but idk from what I've read about the portrayal of Mercury's sex life, it sounds p accurate to what we do know about it. He was rly private man and nobody but him could really tell us how he identified anyway. Like there's an exchange in the movie where he comes out to Mary Austin and she goes 'no bro i think you're gay', and that's the scene people seem to be stuck on? But as far as I know that's a story Mary Austin has told about his coming out before so :shrug:

If there's more to it than that, idk as obviously I haven't seen it and can't speak to it. I'm more concerned about what I've heard about the handling of some of his more prominent lovers and the gay scene at the time, at any rate.

With how long the movie has been in development and how many revisions it's gone through pretty much every take on Mercury has been floated and hated by people on both sides so it's one of those cases where people are pinning too much of their identity on him for it to ever really satisfy everyone. Like there was one version that had a scene where Freddy had public sex with a man which was a thing that really happened and people complained that it made him look too depraved and sex-crazed and that the movie shouldn't be going out if its way to reinforce negative stereotypes of the gay community, and then when they excised it people complained that sanitizing the real person was them whitewashing history to make it more marketable to the squares a la the Stonewall movie from a few years back. And in both cases you have bisexuals bringing up the fact that he also hosed women with the tenacity of a Kool-Aid rep reminding everyone that the people at Jonestown actually drank cyanide-laced Flavor Aid thank you very much.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I assume the Sun City thing isn't covered in Bohemian Rhapsody?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

The only reason I'm excited about this is that Trent Reznor & Atticus Ross are doing the music for it.

It’s by Damon Lindelof so you should be more excited.

Bohemian Rhapsody looks like the most generic biopic ever and I can’t bring myself to care in any way but at least that’s another paedophile with an award

Kominsky Method is fine. It was the best Lorre show since the 90s and the performances were fantastic but it’s pretty mild stuff really, no big laughs

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Wheat Loaf posted:

I assume the Sun City thing isn't covered in Bohemian Rhapsody?

It’s a band controlled white washing of their history.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
One thing I never got was the "Queen is the world's first fascist rock band" which was a bit of a meme in the music press in the 1970s, well before they were under fire for performing in South Africa. I don't know if it was a punk rock thing or if there was something underlying it that I just don't know about the band members themselves.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Rhyno posted:

FIGHT ME

I was a giant Highlander fan in college and first pumped every time I heard "Heeeeere we are". However, the extended version of Princes of the Universe is.... bizarre.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.polygon.com/platform/amp/2019/1/4/18168810/carmen-sandiego-animated-series-netflix-release-date

I don't get why they changed the show's premise to this. "Crime school"? "Thief who only steals from other thieves"? What, is stealing monuments and following the cops trying to stop her not cool anymore?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Rhyno posted:

FIGHT ME

That's a funny way to spell "FLASH GORDON"

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Escobarbarian posted:

It’s by Damon Lindelof so you should be more excited.

Bohemian Rhapsody looks like the most generic biopic ever and I can’t bring myself to care in any way but at least that’s another paedophile with an award

Kominsky Method is fine. It was the best Lorre show since the 90s and the performances were fantastic but it’s pretty mild stuff really, no big laughs

Good news! It is the most generic biopic ever. Spoilers ahead, maybe. It is extremely formulaic and has terrible dialogue. The movie wants to be a Freddie biopic but also a story about the entire band, but never fully commits to either one. It thinks its viewers are morons so there is not one but two montage sequences where city names they are touring fly up on the screen in a big animated flourish (the very first one starts with "Midwest USA", lol). They couldn't think of a better conflict for the story than "gay panic", and conveniently leave things out or change timelines to support that (Freddie is going to break up the band because his gay lover manipulated him into releasing a solo album! Oh wait, Roger Taylor had already released two solo albums years before Mercury's first.) The end scene at Live Aid goes on waaaaayyyy too long and to me just becomes mimicry rather than acting. lol also at that pre-2000 looking CG crowd scene I mean goddamn. Rami Malek is....fine? Certainly not great. If any of his singing made it to the final version of the film you cannot tell.

Also what the gently caress, they didn't mention Flash Gordon at all.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Over the last couple weeks, my girlfriend and I watched through all of Arrested Development. It's the first time I've seen all five seasons back to back (we did original cut of S4) and her first time watching the show ever. She loved it, especially anything with GOB and the Bluth chicken dances.

Watching it like this, I actually think my perception of S4 went up. It's not as good as the original for sure, but I never thought it was terrible by any means, and in general I think it raised a bit in my estimation overall. The GOB, Tobias, and Buster episodes are as good as any of the best 1-3 stuff. Herbert Love, DeBrie, and Dr. Norman were all great additions. On the other hand, the Lindsay, George/Oscar, Rebel Alley, and anything involving Ron Howard (in person, not narrator) kind of sucks. Interestingly, other than initially believing the narrator and Lindsay had been recast, my girlfriend didn't think there was a huge tonal shift with the fourth season.

Season 5 still did not impress me all that much - I think it gets better after the first few episodes, but it still feels very cheap and... I'm not sure, narrow-focused? The fact that they actually start swearing is a bit of a weird departure, too. And the fact they double down on the Rebel Alley/Ron Howard stuff isn't the best. But I like the fact that they tie the Bluth wall into Trump, and the Maeby as an old woman plot worked too.

Watching the entire show, I realized that the parts that work least for me is when it tries to present too much of an...I guess alternate reality? Like the Wee Britain concept in season 3, or the whole maritime law/having a trial in a restaurant in season 4. I think it's a bit too jarring from when the show was a kind-of reality doc spoof.

And as much as I hate to say it, there is some really bad race-related humor that really should have been nixed, not only in the initial run but season 4, too. By 2013 they really should have known better, it's really tone deaf (literally in the case of China Garden).

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Medullah posted:

I was a giant Highlander fan in college and first pumped every time I heard "Heeeeere we are". However, the extended version of Princes of the Universe is.... bizarre.

It's loving amazing is what it is.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The weirdest thing is that the song "Innuendo" of all songs was a number-one hit single for them.

The most underrated Queen album is probably Jazz. I think it's most overlooked because the singles from it ("Bicycle Race", "Fat-Bottomed Girls" and "Don't Stop Me Now") aren't really anybody's favourites but the deep cuts like "Mustapha", "If You Can't Beat Them" and "Dead On Time" are great.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jan 7, 2019

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Don’t Stop Me Now is the only Queen song I really love tbh

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I like ones that are described as having been "live favourites" in their day but are almost forgotten now.

e.g. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spm5-SXo4Do

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

W. Morgan Shepard, who most likely popped up in something you watched, passed away.

https://twitter.com/DrWhoOnline/status/1082186714511273985

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0792003/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Ogre Battle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!