Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

"Bad Traveling" aka the one with the crabs, was directed by David Fincher so that one should be interesting at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
I don’t want to continue to hate pile on the series, but with American animation gaining popularity in recent years, especially on Netflix, you’d think they’d have better talent.

Castlevania
Invincible
Blood of Zeus
Black Onyx

Were some of my favorite shows of their respective years.

Yet more often than not this stuff is just edgelord content.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

punk rebel ecks posted:

Castlevania
Invincible
Blood of Zeus
Black Onyx

I've not heard of this last one, unless you mean Onyx Equinox?

That said, Castlevania was so so good, and Invincible was great too -- I read that the second season of the latter might only be four episodes long though, which I found staggering. I mean, I get that animation has a long lead window, and that the deflating streaming bubble is trending towards shorter seasons with more time between seasons (i.e. we're transitioning back from television to films). But it's still loving frustrating.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Open Source Idiom posted:

I've not heard of this last one, unless you mean Onyx Equinox?

That said, Castlevania was so so good, and Invincible was great too -- I read that the second season of the latter might only be four episodes long though, which I found staggering. I mean, I get that animation has a long lead window, and that the deflating streaming bubble is trending towards shorter seasons with more time between seasons (i.e. we're transitioning back from television to films). But it's still loving frustrating.

Yeah Onyx Equinox. The show started off bad but gradually got good by the end.

Invincible seems to literally be doing the exact opposite of what Castlevania did in terms of seasons.

But honestly if it comes out this year, it isn’t surprising. Castlevania’s seasons were every other year IIRC.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I still think the first season of LDR was incredibly strong outside of a few ones I didn't like. The second season was a clear drop, but it's also plainly obvious that it was supposed to have been a full season that Netflix split up like they've been doing with a lot of their animation seasons lately (Disenchantment, He-Man), and these new episodes were supposed to have been part of the second season originally. Either way, the show is 100% getting cancelled after these episodes air which is a huge shame. Even if I didn't dig a lot of the storytelling in season 2, each episode was still incredibly well-made and we need more animation showcases like this.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

punk rebel ecks posted:

I don’t want to continue to hate pile on the series, but with American animation gaining popularity in recent years, especially on Netflix, you’d think they’d have better talent.

Castlevania
Invincible
Blood of Zeus
Black Onyx

Were some of my favorite shows of their respective years.

Yet more often than not this stuff is just edgelord content.

If they wanted it they'd have it, Tim Miller owns Blur Studios, one of the bigger digital animation studios in Hollywood. His and Fincher's goal with the project originally started as a reboot of Heavy Metal. They want to raise the profile of smaller studios, especially non American ones that wouldn't have the opportunity otherwise.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I love this terrible show

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Hey, a Michael Swanwick story!

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Some of these sound really cool

Imo Netflix should make a list with random sci fi authors and another with artists and just use a randomizer to make episodes

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

If they wanted it they'd have it, Tim Miller owns Blur Studios, one of the bigger digital animation studios in Hollywood. His and Fincher's goal with the project originally started as a reboot of Heavy Metal. They want to raise the profile of smaller studios, especially non American ones that wouldn't have the opportunity otherwise.

I understand the intent but these studios just aren't up to snuff storytelling wise.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Alamo Drafthouse is having a livestream Q&A of the third season tonight, so I'll try and give my thoughts on the new season, or at least what I see.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

OK, I got out of the Love, Death, and Robots showing and Q&A. The only 3rd season episodes shown are:

Three Robots: Exit Strategies: The three robots tour a survivalist camp, where they killed each other over food; a seastead, where the tech-millionaires starved to death when their robot servants stopped feeding them; a Presidential bunker where they resorted to cannibalism; and a launch site, where it's implied the only ones to leave the earth were the Chris Parnell-voiced cats

Bad Travelling: I won't say too much, it's pretty stylish and features lots of twists, but it is the David Fincher-directed short, probably his first actual animation. It's probably the centerpiece of the season, only matched by Jibaru, with a running time of 20 minutes, the longest short featured on LDR. Fincher joked that he was given 300 shots, but they didn't say how long those 300 shots could be.

Night Of The Mini Dead: a zombie apocalypse in tilt-shifted focus and miniature. It starts off strong but kinda peters out. According to the Q&A, this was fully completed 2-3 weeks ago, so I guess you can tell

Jibaru: also fairly long but probably the other visually striking short. Very Aguirre Wrath Of God with a religious order of conquistadors succumbing to a gold-adorned siren, with the sole survivor main character being a deaf soldier who fails to hear the siren song the first time.

We didn't get to see "The Swarm" (according to Tim Miller, based off Bruce Sterling's "The Schismatrix"), "Mason's Rats", "The Very Pulse of the Machine" (which I really wanted to see), and others.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Jibaro was incredible. The Witness was the first work from Alberto Mielgo I saw and immediately fell in love with the style. What he does in Jibaro is simply outstanding start to finish. Honestly, Three Robots was the weakest of the 4 new ones they showed. Bad Travelling was real good and Night of the Mini Dead was the right amount of fun, maybe a little too short but still a really cool ide

But seriously, Jibaro. Wow.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Better than season 2 part one?

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
Netflix posted the robot thing on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dsxBKuL_aw

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

The whole thing just released on Netflix today. Just watched Bad Traveling, which was quite good, even if the very beginning was kind of awkwardly directed and weirdly understated.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Well I just watched all(?) 6(?) season 3 episodes.

Death Death Death. What happened to Love?

I guess sorta the Water Gold Dryad one? Very impressive graphics in that one.

The Starcraft had some sex in it, not love.

One of them is an SCP episode which I appreciated though I didn't get the ending why did she need to take her eyes out? There was no hint, build up or thematic reason for it in that was needed?

Robots in some of them. I didn't mind them, the show really need them it seems.

Pity Netflix has cancelled it(?). I would like to watch more, not just so many death death death ones.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I just want an anthology show based on actual old Heavy Metal comics. I wish that's what Fincher had been able to do here. Instead we got a few very impressive tech demos with a few solid stories scattered amongst them. And somehow an awful Metal Hurlant Chronicles anthology show a decade ago that I just found out about.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
They haven't announced anything yet, Netflix closed their animation department but these shorts were done and sold by independent studios. Probably one of their cheaper shows and has been an Emmy factory for them.

All of want is Tim Miller to get the go ahead to make more Warhammer videos.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Just got done with all of them, too. Jibaro was the standout, insanely stylish and intriguing, much like The Witness before. Bad Traveling and The Very Pulse Of The Machine were also both quite good. The rest of them I could pretty much take or leave.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

3robots2 was garbage but I expected nothing anyway.

Pirate one was fine.

Zerg swarm was good.

Two shorts about quipping troops that fight a horror thing underground in the Afghan mountains? They couldn't a least put them in two different season halves? Whatever.

Scottish rats was dumb but cute.

Jibaro had high effort graphics, impressive but I would not really call them beautiful or even interesting and I could not make head or tail of it, guess I'll rewatch.

Tiny zombies felt very South Park but at least it had interesting visuals.

Woman vs space nature was pretty and well plotted. The fake ending got me. Best of the bunch I'd say.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Comstar posted:

One of them is an SCP episode which I appreciated though I didn't get the ending why did she need to take her eyes out? There was no hint, build up or thematic reason for it in that was needed?

I understood the implication to be the thing's mind control worked through eye contact. The voice in their heads (?) starts shortly after when it opens its eyes.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The Very Pulse of the Machine is very good.

Space_Wizard
Dec 21, 2018
Possibly controversial ranking

1- Bad Traveling, if only because I am a massive sucker for this sort of protagonist,
2- Jibaro, both for the quality of the visuals and the way that the waterborne shots gave me very big 'Saltwater croc in the NT' danger vibes
3- Mason's Rats, just for being one of the few that didn't feel as mean spirited,
4- Very Pulse of the Machine, In that I could really recognise the quality but it just want my sort of thing
5- Night of the mini dead, utterly disposable but I had a big old giggle the whole way through
6- In vaulted halls entombed, yeah absolutely nothing to write home about but I like military horror. Firmly in the 'not good but I liked it though' camp (also, not a spoiler, but why did that one dude have an Australian flag patch on his chest rig?)
7- Kill team kill, yes this was stupid as all hell. But maybe it is just my background that made me feel like it had a real 'your dickhead mate in the army trying to tell a joke and you laugh because he's a good enough dude even if he is not talented' sort of way. It is absolutely the sort of short story that my mates would have come up with while we were waiting for a flight in Iraq - for both good and for ill.
8- 3 Robots 2, ehhhhh ok. I like the characters but this was really just a 'remember the first one? You liked that, have another!'
9-Swarm, The only one I did not like. Whole story is clear from about the second conversation and I dunno, it's just been really better done elsewhere.

Also, in a very niche crossover - did anyone else pick up the voice of Stephen Pacey in Bad Traveling? He does 'plaintive scared person from an unclear portion of the British Isles' better than anyone else. Nice treat for fans of Joe Abercrombie.

Overall - far far better than season 2 and probably on par with season 1.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
If anyone is interested in some of the ideas in The Swarm check out the Schismatrix Plus. Same author and universe, one novel and a bunch of short stories centering on a post human society and the schism that has developed within it.

Two shorts from Blur makes me happy, along with the rumor that their The Goon movie has funding again.

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 03:51 on May 21, 2022

Dark477
Oct 15, 2018

Space_Wizard posted:

6- In vaulted halls entombed, yeah absolutely nothing to write home about but I like military horror. Firmly in the 'not good but I liked it though' camp (also, not a spoiler, but why did that one dude have an Australian flag patch on his chest rig?)

Well the author that the story is based on is Australian so i wound be surprised if the characters were suppose to be aus soldiers.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Baxter_(author)

Dark477 fucked around with this message at 06:18 on May 21, 2022

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I posted in the Streaming thread before I saw this one, but I'll rate things here:

1. Jibaro - I don't know what mythology this siren was based off of, but the emotion on all levels was amazing. Her joy/method of killing, despair when it doesn't go right, hopefulness when she tries a different way... incredible.

2. Bad Travelling - Watching a scared ship crew trying to appease a giant crab and the power struggle that ensued was so much fun to watch. Why's the crab there? Why is it so good at ventriloquism? Why does the protagonist go absolutely full James Bond super-villain out of nowhere? Don't know/care.

3. Mason's Rats - I'm a little meh on the plot and resolution. But it was the only story to end on a not-bummer note, even though it wasn't earned at all because he's the one who did the attempted genocide. What happened to the "Love" part of this series?

4. Night of the Mini Dead - My favorite part of zombie media, maybe the only part I enjoy, is the part where everything goes to hell. This was like little animated dioramas of a world going to hell, and hit all the best notes of a zombie apocalypse. Yeah it got a little too full of itself at the end, but that was just a few seconds. Lots of little details to appreciate.

5. The Very Pulse of the Machine - I'm a bad judge of things with "deep" storytelling, like that Blue one from an earlier season, but I enjoyed the visuals very much.

6. In the Vaulted Hills Entombed - You can't get much more generic modern-day Lovecraft than this, but it's neat to see. Reminded me a lot of the Gamecube game Eternal Darkness, which we're never getting a sequel to.

7. Kill Team Kill - Hyperviolent gory animation with a whole lot of swearing and non-stop MCU-esque quips. If that's your thing, I guess it'd be good?

8. Three Robots: Exit Strategies - I wanted more of these characters, but I also wanted very much to see them in anything except "Current Events, am I right?".

9. Swarm - Ugly to look at and with a plot twist you see from almost the first few lines of dialog. Which wouldn't be so bad, like watching the protagonist careening slowly towards a bad ending they should see coming but they think they're too smart for is fine; hubris leading to their downfall, etc. But that hardly seems to be what happens here. Wasn't the Swarm's message done by a much better book I should get around to reading?

LifeLynx fucked around with this message at 05:42 on May 21, 2022

Space_Wizard
Dec 21, 2018

Dark477 posted:

Well the author that the story is based on is Australian so i wound be surprised if the charters were suppose to be aus soldiers.

Ah was not tracking the author's nationality. Thanks mate - while I don't think the peeps in the show are supposed to be Aussies (they also have US flag patches and speak with yank accents) it absolutely makes sense that the Aussie patch is a nice little nod.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So it definitely seems clear that Netflix made them cut out the "Love" part of the show as vol 2 & 3 were much less horny. Like Swarm has a sex scene but you don't actually see anything.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

LifeLynx posted:

2. Bad Travelling - Watching a scared ship crew trying to appease a giant crab and the power struggle that ensued was so much fun to watch. Why's the crab there? Why is it so good at ventriloquism? Why does the protagonist go absolutely full James Bond super-villain out of nowhere? Don't know/care.

the twist is that the captain was the only good guy on the ship. the rest of the crew wanted to drop off the crabmonster at the nearest populated island in a bid to save their own skins, but from the start the captain was angling to kill it instead. he sated it with any traitorous crew (which fortuitously was frickin all of them), waited until he saw land, then blew up the ship and rowed to safety and an exciting future of sleepless nights

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Oxxidation posted:

the twist is that the captain was the only good guy on the ship. the rest of the crew wanted to drop off the crabmonster at the nearest populated island in a bid to save their own skins, but from the start the captain was angling to kill it instead. he sated it with any traitorous crew (which fortuitously was frickin all of them), waited until he saw land, then blew up the ship and rowed to safety and an exciting future of sleepless nights

Oh man. I got an annoying phone call twice each time I went back over that "voting" scene and missed what was going on. I need to watch it again now.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!
Why does a crab need to hijack a sailboat to get to some island?

In Jitaro how exactly did the deaf guy get his hearing back?

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

muscles like this! posted:

So it definitely seems clear that Netflix made them cut out the "Love" part of the show as vol 2 & 3 were much less horny. Like Swarm has a sex scene but you don't actually see anything.

Night of the Mini Dead has a very serious sex scene and I thought the Very Pulse of the Machine had some clear “love” undertones, but overall you’re definitely right that it was less horny than the first season(s).

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Just watched the 3rd season. It's a nice anthology. I guess it makes sense that in the elder god episode, the eyes are the path to brainwashing, although maybe it could be the hearing as well.

Panfilo posted:

Why does a crab need to hijack a sailboat to get to some island?

In Jitaro how exactly did the deaf guy get his hearing back?

I think the crab needed to feed her brood and used superior intelligence to strongarm the guy into directing the ship to where food is plentiful. The alternative would otherwise be catching food in the ocean which may not net enough rich protein for her brood, because I think a giant crab cannot travel the distance that a ship can.

In Jitaro, my guess is that the siren's blood has healing properties although it feels a bit like a deus ex machina. Then again, we never know precisely why the soldiers were there in the first place. Were they hunting the siren? Were they hunting her for the healing properties in her blood?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Liked this one better than the second. Jibaro was the clear standout, not only because of the animation but the way it was edited.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

(Bad Traveling) Though that feels a little at odds with the captain in the end just sailing until close to the populated island, nuking the crab, and escaping alive. If it had been a clear suicide mission, his plotting would've been much more understandable. But as it was, his plan as he presented to the crew was actually more dangerous than the one he ended up executing after they all died. Had he just said "Hey we're gonna burn this motherfucker down", chances are the crew wouldn't have been nearly as resistant.

As for Jibaro: Maybe it's just me, but I read the Siren as initially more intrigued than murderous when it comes to Deaf Guy. It seems like she initially regards him almost as something closer to a peer than a victim, and the scene at the waterfall felt more like a test whether he can keep up rather than outright attempted murder. As for how he got his hearing back, I'd say that was just a side-effect of the power that was resurrecting the siren also touching him by accident.

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 11:47 on May 21, 2022

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Perestroika posted:

(Bad Traveling) Though that feels a little at odds with the captain in the end just sailing until close to the populated island, nuking the crab, and escaping alive. If it had been a clear suicide mission, his plotting would've been much more understandable. But as it was, his plan as he presented to the crew was actually more dangerous than the one he ended up executing after they all died. Had he just said "Hey we're gonna burn this motherfucker down", chances are the crew wouldn't have been nearly as resistant.

I'm pretty sure the burning part of the plan only came when he realized that the crab had babies. The crab says that it's shell would protect it, so they still had to sail past the populated island and they still would've had to sacrifice themselves. The fact that the captain makes a deal about him being the one that can't be eaten also makes him somewhat less heroic and more hypocritical. It's easy to call others cowards when it's not your rear end that's gonna be eaten.

The Swarm's ending was truly horrific: The main character being forced to breed with a brain dead woman so that the swarm can turn humanity into mindless drones that will happily eat their own vomit.

Dark477 posted:

Well the author that the story is based on is Australian so i wound be surprised if the characters were suppose to be aus soldiers.

The female soldier says she's from Rhode Island.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!
In the Swarm I felt particularly bad for those quadriped aliens in the beginning, who trusted him humans way too much.

:smug: "Yeah you might think you're hot poo poo now, humans, but you're a cosmic blip away from being reduced to a barf eating cephlapod"

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Panfilo posted:

In the Swarm I felt particularly bad for those quadriped aliens in the beginning, who trusted him humans way too much.

:smug: "Yeah you might think you're hot poo poo now, humans, but you're a cosmic blip away from being reduced to a barf eating cephlapod"

Eh, I wouldn't. In the short stories, the Investors (those aliens) are the only species with superluminal travel and maintain an absolute death grip monopoly on it. It's been a little while since I read that collection but I seen to recall that the relationship between Humanity and the Investors to be seen as perfunctory at best. It's why the final thing the Investor says to Afriel mirrors what Swarm says; they're both manipulating Humanity for their own goals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Perestroika posted:

his conversation with the crab took place because, when asked to draw straws for the responsibility, the guy who drew the short straw hurled him into the brig with the rest of the crew's passive consent. from that point on he was probably less inclined to trust in their better natures