Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
I'm normally a fan of grand strategy but I gotta say the grand campaign looks insanely tedious. Are there smaller, more focused campaigns? Seems like a cool system but not the globe-spanning whack a mole part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
56 AD

Judea is the next stupid country to be destroyed.

57 AD

We go on the offensive. Shame for them we still had most of our forces in the area.

Are you loving kidding me?

58 AD

Judea continues the effective tactic of running in the opposite direction to our armies.

59 AD

By by Judea.

60 AD

We work on defeating Rome. Again.

61 AD

Time for the old one...

Two.... and goodbye Rome!

62 AD

The last group of rebels are defeated.

63 AD

There are always more tribes to conqure.

Always more rebellions to put down...

Always more wars to fight. Arabia and the Ptomolics declaring war on us this year.

Fools.

64 AD

Still closing in on the 3x score.

65 AD

We crush a rebellion.

And the Egyptians.

66 AD

It's Arabia's turn now!

67-68 AD

We are rolling over them, as you would expect.

69 AD

Why do they even try declaring war on us?

At this point, I start hitting end turn rapidly, as we are just counting down the clock.

78 AD

A problem has arisen – Parthia has now eclipsed Palmayrene as my rival, and are gaining 300 or so legacy a turn -I am gaining 700, so will not overtake them without a war.

This army will be a tough one to beat!

I order troops in every province in Egypt.

I mass my forces.

Carthage will not be denied its glory!

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Parthia!!! :argh:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

I have to assume that the game thinks that you'll never actually turbo stomp the AI like you have so it just assumes that pooping another Rome or each turn will lead to an interesting struggle at the worst time

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
How many men are actually in arms for Carthage? Cyrus The Great managed to field a 500,000 man army during his time as Persian Emperor, but it seems like Carthage in this timeline might be floating close to a million.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

I enjoy this game's depiction of Rome as a nasty rash that keeps popping up in various parts of Europe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
Came back to this game cause I wanted to play Pontus. Some retrospective thoughts:

- The UI was improved a lot since the release. It's much clearer what trade goods do. Like when you build a Hemp field and some of your buildings import hemp the game tells you that the new Hemp field will save you some money. On the other hand, selecting armies is as hard as ever, especially in areas with a lot of small territories. No way to conveniently scroll through the regions with no production, this is the biggest irritation for me: the way to do it is through the ledger, but it's very inconvenient.

- Building system rocks. Many empire-building games prefer to give you a lot of boring one-purpose building. Compare Civilization 4 to Civilization 5: in Civ4 library gives you both culture and science (but for culture, it's a flat bonus and for science, it's a percentage buff) and the building works slightly differently depending on your situation. In Civ5 & 6 it's just a boring science building, it's only spiced up by some policies or civilization traits adding additional stuff to it. FoGE is cool in that it allows you to build great farms, scriptoriums, arms manufacturers, salt mines, and a dozen types of circuses. Every building has a set of conditional bonuses, usually based on trade goods. Even the most boring building has some trade-off. It's hard to navigate cause there's no tech tree, but the fact that your choices are limited each time helps a lot. National traits help a lot, e.g. Pontus is a Greek country and they have access to very cool culture and trade buildings, like Stoas give +5% to faction-wide gold, and you can build them in any decent province.

- Battles are cool. I suppose you can have fun exporting them but they're good as they are.

- Diplomacy system is boring. Chance-based agreements suck. Early on you have nothing to bargain for, and later you can create some alliances, but I mostly use diplomacy to throw money at people and ask them to become clients.

- Even on a quick victory setting Legacy requirements are too high.

- In the core of the game there's WEGO system. Everyone creates their plan for the turn and on the end turn it's processed. It removes a lot of problems with TB strangeness, but it halts the game all the time. We're all used to Paradox games where the time flows quickly and something is happening all the time. Even in Civilization or Total War you watch the AI move with excitement, waiting for them to do something. In FoGE the turn resolution is quick, but then you stare at the screen as the AI is doing its turn calculation and nothing happens. It doesn't take that much time, but the fact is there are many turns in the campaign and a few games force you to stare at the screen while nothing happens.

That last point makes me worried about an upcoming sequel. It boasts many more factions and I dread staring at the screen again. The game is good, but I really hope they find a way to move AI calculation into a separate thread during player turn or something (nothing happens till you click end turn so nothing stops AI from thinking in the background) or I'm not going to have fun with it. I'm not an impatient man, I had fun with Civ6 on Nintendo Switch, but this stuff is too much.

ilitarist fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Jul 6, 2022