Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Suspicious posted:

the only bad thing you heard about lf that's unarguably true is that there was a lot of white noise shitposting derailing threads all the time. but that was because the admins categorically refused to assign ik's so you had a lot of funny people from a forum with a unique sense of humor that would poo poo up good threads with posts like "double n-word!" (see it's not racist because of the double, it's just wacky randomness lol!) and threats to assassinate important people.

posting specifically that was allowed in the official yospos rules until like 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Lightning Knight posted:

Do you feel things should be different?

personally, as someone who was too young for LF, I wouldn’t mind learning more from people who actually posted there, as opposed to people who lurked or learned second-hand.

lf had more unique threads that weren't just about current events, or weren't megathreads, and i'd say less political and more being funny focused. there were less posters, so I think it was easier to stand out too for better or worse. a lot more people doing bits in general. a lot of it was really bad tho

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Karl Barks posted:

a lot of it was really bad tho

Blarghalt
May 19, 2010

e-dt posted:

This is hilarious if true, do you have more info?

There's not one photo of the guy since then.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

between money injection weight loss and skin removal/ major plastic surgery recovery times ill be notch has been billion dollaring around the world incognito three years or so

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

lmbo yeah right could you imagine

e-dt
Sep 16, 2019

Blarghalt posted:

There's not one photo of the guy since then.

lol i was curious so i went and looked for some and the latest was 2016. and i searched his twitter for things like "outside" or "bar" or "cafe" or "party" or "restaurant" and all that, and there was literally nothing to suggest he's left his house.

POLITIFACT rates this claim True

found this on his twitter lol

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

Karl Barks posted:

lf had more unique threads that weren't just about current events, or weren't megathreads, and i'd say less political and more being funny focused. there were less posters, so I think it was easier to stand out too for better or worse. a lot more people doing bits in general. a lot of it was really bad tho

it is definitely true that there was more just straight-up garbage posting, but most of the actual content was original and funny. I think part of it is that “online politics talk” was a lot less pervasive back then so if you wanted to post about politics it was generally original content, rather than just tweets with like two sentences of reaction. if lf was 70/30 garbage/content and cspam is 20/80, the caveat is that lfs 30% was on average more funny and insightful than cspams 80%.. cspam is certainly easier to read because I don’t have to scroll past 2 pages of “gas” and “suck my dick op” to find one good post, but when lf hit it hit good.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

a thread in LF changed the direction of my life for the better part of a decade

a thread in cspam might end up doing the same

in conclusion i am an idiot

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

upgunned shitpost posted:

there's a discord channel out there where grover and notch constantly bitch about no one wanting to come over to their sweet house.

it was also one of the hate groups ppj was supposedly monitoring, cuz for just two dudes they generate a spectacular amount of anti-semitic content

:eyepop:

e-dt
Sep 16, 2019

The Saucer Hovers posted:

which thread

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

prison thread

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

TheSlutPit posted:

it is definitely true that there was more just straight-up garbage posting, but most of the actual content was original and funny. I think part of it is that “online politics talk” was a lot less pervasive back then so if you wanted to post about politics it was generally original content, rather than just tweets with like two sentences of reaction. if lf was 70/30 garbage/content and cspam is 20/80, the caveat is that lfs 30% was on average more funny and insightful than cspams 80%.. cspam is certainly easier to read because I don’t have to scroll past 2 pages of “gas” and “suck my dick op” to find one good post, but when lf hit it hit good.

it's really the twitter thing i think. back then engaging in political discussion online mostly meant wading through blogs and longform pieces, which made it easier for effortposts and threads to find an audience

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

The Muppets On PCP posted:

it's really the twitter thing i think. back then engaging in political discussion online mostly meant wading through blogs and longform pieces, which made it easier for effortposts and threads to find an audience

I think it might be because twitter posts are a medium between shitposting (which was very pervasive in LF, but easy to skip through) and serious posting. So you have this dynamic where long posts that people agree with rapidly fall out of the current discussion, because nobody quotes something they agree with. In LF people would skip through the shitposting to get to the good serious posts, but there is just enough meat on the twitter posts that you can't skip them like shitposting and they instead take over the current discourse.

As an example (and I hope this doesn't come off as whiny) I like to do write ups on some of the statistics of the voting in the primary and now the general, but they take a loooong time to write and I am never sure if people actually enjoy (or even read) the content or not, because there is no engagement. After a couple of pages they fall out of possible discourse and I consider it time wasted. So I don't do them often.

Responding to a tweet on the other hand takes 5 seconds and it doesn't really matter if there is engagement or not.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

The Saucer Hovers posted:

Well... WELCOME to CSPAM. Now I know what you're thinking... you've probably heard a lot about us. But we Get. It.

People are curious! The world is a very scary place right now and people are looking for answers. And if you read the other forums, you can't go six seconds without hearing someone talking about CSPAM. Because frankly, whatever you've heard, if you haven't heard it from us, I can assure you that we're not what you expect. Now, I can assure you that CSPAM is new, that our approach is new, our answers are new, and that CSPAM is not just something you believe in, but something you do... well... I'm sure you'd much rather see for yourself. And we're here and we're going to show you ALL of it. We'll also take you behind the scenes and into our subforum management, publications and dissemination facilities, humanitarian outreach programs and even our new posting archives buried out in the desert.

But even still, there remains the question: why are so many goons posting on CSPAM, and why they are so passionate about it? To answer that question you'll meet CSPAM goons from ALL walks of life... including some of the most well-known artists and celebrities in the world.

BrutalistMcDonalds has issued a correction as of 11:07 on Aug 11, 2020

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Karl Barks posted:

a lot of it was really bad tho

Yeah important to keep this in mind. Easy to look back with rose-colored glasses, but you had to wade through a LOT of garbage to get to the gold. Which was funny in its own way, but yeah...my page down button got a workout in some of those threads.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

shirts and skins posted:

Yeah important to keep this in mind. Easy to look back with rose-colored glasses, but you had to wade through a LOT of garbage to get to the gold. Which was funny in its own way, but yeah...my page down button got a workout in some of those threads.

I think people are right that the best bits of LF are better than most of CSPAM but CSPAM has way less complete garbage posting as long as you don't bother with certain megathreads.

There's just fewer and fewer new threads produced in general as well, wheras back in the day you'd just post a new thread for a new topic rather than funnel everything into a few appropriate threads. doomsday economic thread would be a million different posts about Number going up or down or whatever, so everyone understood that particular posting gimmick instead of it being contained in one very big thread.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

smarxist posted:

i want this to be true so bad

truer today than it was yesterday. fact by volume.

Cefte
Sep 18, 2004

tranquil consciousness

Dreylad posted:

Oh poo poo I didn't know you were still around. Hope you're doing well. And that's a good point, I guess that is the way the discourse is going.
Thanks, and same! It's funny, a daily lurk on SA is still part of my routine, after fifteen years. You'd think we'd have moved on.

Lightning Knight posted:

Do you feel things should be different?
I haven't thought 'should' about anything on SA for over a decade, because it implies a degree of emotional investment that was (is?) inappropriate given the nature of the site governance. And frankly, one of the lessons I learned as an LF idiot king was that you can't probate or ban or gimmick your way to good content, because it simply doesn't scale - it's all about the user base.

I do think a lot of the 'heyday' things people talk about years later in D&D harnessed two not very positive things (people getting really emotionally invested on the internet, and people approaching positions in bad faith) and made something good out of the synergy through relatively hands-off moderation and, yes, a generally maintained 'civility' rule - and doesn't that sound dated? But without Nixon to kick around, you don't get Fear and Loathing, and so on.

In summary:

Ahmad ibn Naqib al-Misri, through Nu Ha Mim Keller posted:

Anyone who seeks Sacred Knowledge to argue with fools, vie with scholars, or draw people's attention to himself, will take a place in hell.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Cefte posted:

Thanks, and same! It's funny, a daily lurk on SA is still part of my routine, after fifteen years. You'd think we'd have moved on.

Frankly, I think all the other options are worse and for better or for worse I find I can still have some interesting conversations here now and again. Your insight about how to generate good content is spot on, I think.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

GiP used to have a rule that every thread was closed and rebooted on the first of the month as a sort of ritual to the military's hard-on for doing things in the most pointlessly complex, asinine way possible. It was relaxed years ago but for some reason the CE thread kept up the tradition, and benefits greatly from a fresh start. IMO it would be beneficial to do the same for, at a minimum, Succ zone.

E: also the rule that one month a year all page snipes must include a cute animal. This is a good rule that should be in effect everywhere all the time. With judicious application of sixers, the fraction of posts containing Good Bois can be held above 2.5% forumswide

shame on an IGA has issued a correction as of 00:59 on Aug 12, 2020

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
/\/\/\/\ TFF does the same thing for News/Views threads. Who knows what the benefit is but I don't hate it.

Cefte posted:

Agreed, thanks for popping in, glad to hear you're still kicking around here. Despite the site's ownership I continue to find this one of the better spots to spend time.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

succ zone is supposed to succ

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

shame on an IGA posted:

GiP used to have a rule that every thread was closed and rebooted on the first of the month as a sort of ritual to the military's hard-on for doing things in the most pointlessly complex, asinine way possible. It was relaxed years ago but for some reason the CE thread kept up the tradition, and benefits greatly from a fresh start. IMO it would be beneficial to do the same for, at a minimum, Succ zone.

the trump thread already does this and it has no effect at all so i don't really see the point

what is the benefit to "a fresh start" exactly

eta: to be on topic, I didn't read or post in LF at all before it was gone and only D&D remained. fun to hear stories from posters who knew stuff about it tho

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
iirc the original reason for restarting megathreads was that radium said the big threads were too much strain on the servers.

but practically/in readability there's zero difference between making new threads every month and just having it as one big thread. honestly just between those two i'd prefer the latter

the issue, to me, is that no one makes new threads; all discussion is in a handful of megathreads, and stuff gets lost or buried in there (or reposted endlessly) when it gets too big.

it's not that the megathreads serve no purpose i just wish that some of the cool side-discussions and effortposts that end up in megathreads were stand-alone threads v:shobon:v

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

a satirical tone is appropriate. rage dies out some and from what I know about some of the old heads... and we are loving old now... we've found some pretty cool things to do with that energy. sharing history. teaching.

round #592 with frojar and his opinions on race science is thoroughly loving uninteresting. while that particular muthafuck is actually incapable of learning, there were some real loving villains in the cotb threads and the like. at some point you do wonder if all those words just taught them to hide it better? there's no way someone like cmdr. shepard became a decent human being and hidingfromgoro tried. even apaul thought that dude was a psycho. can't even wish he'd get lit up with a molotov, turn his rear end into a real beacon of freedom, cuz I'll get probated for saying the maduro words about a white person.

if decorum is appropriate or has value, I am so the wrong guy to ask, but even I know it's derived from legitimacy, which looks to be on the way out. yay. permanent state of revolution. revachol forever and ever. or whatever. probably the whatever, but there's a hope that's slightly beyond words. so what do you even effort post about?

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
it wasn't the greatest thread, or the funniest, but i always will love autospy-turvey's Let's Play Serbia (in Victoria 2) thread

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

kingcobweb posted:

the issue, to me, is that no one makes new threads; all discussion is in a handful of megathreads, and stuff gets lost or buried in there (or reposted endlessly) when it gets too big.

it's not that the megathreads serve no purpose i just wish that some of the cool side-discussions and effortposts that end up in megathreads were stand-alone threads v:shobon:v

I completely agree, stuff getting lost is sorta what I mentioned before, though I think it has less to do with megathreads as such and more to do with controversy being quoted, but not interesting or agreeable. So we continue seeing the same old trolls saying the same old dumb stuff, which further buries anything of value. I think rules against emptyquoting (to show agreement) has probably exacerbated this, though it is probably an overall good to not grant too much leeway on that.

As far as side discussions go, I think we are all getting a little hosed by how rapidly the world seems to be crumbling. The time dilations are definitely a thing (just try to think back a few months, it is frankly crazy) and it makes it real hard to distinguish pertinent from non-pertinent, while at the same time making it easier to get lost in the plot. For discussions of a more timeless nature it should be possible, but it doesn't happen - like the Corona thread had 10 pages of food talk, that should have gone to the perfectly fine food thread but didn't. Why didn't it?

Edit: As an example it was easier to tell pertinent from non-pertinent at the time when Fox spend a week on "mustard-gate" and who can forget the TAN(?!) suit.

Pingui has issued a correction as of 09:57 on Aug 12, 2020

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy
wait did people actually believe that the story about the secret service visiting lowtax? when law enforcement wants information they just ask for records or issue a subpeona for records.

Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?

low tax lied, vile tat died

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Pingui posted:

I completely agree, stuff getting lost is sorta what I mentioned before, though I think it has less to do with megathreads as such and more to do with controversy being quoted, but not interesting or agreeable. So we continue seeing the same old trolls saying the same old dumb stuff, which further buries anything of value. I think rules against emptyquoting (to show agreement) has probably exacerbated this, though it is probably an overall good to not grant too much leeway on that.

As far as side discussions go, I think we are all getting a little hosed by how rapidly the world seems to be crumbling. The time dilations are definitely a thing (just try to think back a few months, it is frankly crazy) and it makes it real hard to distinguish pertinent from non-pertinent, while at the same time making it easier to get lost in the plot. For discussions of a more timeless nature it should be possible, but it doesn't happen - like the Corona thread had 10 pages of food talk, that should have gone to the perfectly fine food thread but didn't. Why didn't it?

Edit: As an example it was easier to tell pertinent from non-pertinent at the time when Fox spend a week on "mustard-gate" and who can forget the TAN(?!) suit.

Yeah meanwhile people spent weeks wringing their hands over that Harper's letter while America was getting wrecked by the plague. Social media just distorts poo poo by making every new news story seem that much more important.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

Admiral Ray posted:

wait did people actually believe that the story about the secret service visiting lowtax? when law enforcement wants information they just ask for records or issue a subpeona for records.

i was capable of believing that an overfunded and bloated US security apparatus was capable of wasting time and showing up regarding online threats. i mean i think this forum is monitored. they have to give something for the huge amount of intelligence analysts to do all day

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Dreylad posted:

it wasn't the greatest thread, or the funniest, but i always will love autospy-turvey's Let's Play Serbia (in Victoria 2) thread

it was fantastic and i wish i could revisit it but all the images died

THS posted:

i was capable of believing that an overfunded and bloated US security apparatus was capable of wasting time and showing up regarding online threats. i mean i think this forum is monitored. they have to give something for the huge amount of intelligence analysts to do all day

i dont think its monitored, but it is being archived in the library of congress

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

babypolis posted:

i dont think its monitored, but it is being archived in the library of congress

p sure it was clarified that they were just archiving the front page lol

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

it's all archived somewhere and the tools that refine the data only get more complex.

it's like that old post about the new fascism. no one actually cares what you said, what you believe cuz no one read it. your landlord buys a background check for $19.95, where an unholy amalgam of techbros and natsec clerics simply state that you're invalid cuz that's what the ai told them to say. you can either have fun with the right combination of words or get hosed by them regardless.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

babypolis posted:

it was fantastic and i wish i could revisit it but all the images died

OUR PEOPLE ARE BORN OF THE SKY

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

upgunned shitpost posted:

revachol forever and ever.

oh man. if disco elysium had been around during lf...

HAMAS HATE BOAT
Jun 5, 2010

THS posted:

there's probably a hundred "threats" a day against any president since the invention of On Line but they probably just respond to the ones where someone freaks out and reports it and/or has the type of content that a pig would think indicates planning or something. google says the SS has 136 field offices and since theres only one president and he only goes to like 3 golf courses they've probably got to do something all day. IIRC they did send fed pigs to one of the LF4's workplace and they got fired for posting in that thread.

it's most likely that the records for nonsense investigations are only kept a few years and then tossed or archived in the raiders of the lost ark vault someplace or they were kept at the field office

Mr. Fish
Sep 13, 2017

INLAND EMPIRE — This is a team with a lot of past, but little present. And almost no future.
IT IS BETTER TO DIE FOR Ron Paul THAN LIVE FOR YOURSELF

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Not Important posted:

IT IS BETTER TO DIE FOR Ron Paul THAN LIVE FOR YOURSELF

This seems wrong. Are you sure this is correct?