Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

PizzaProwler posted:

What material is that built out of? My eyes can only parse graham crackers and frosting.

Looks like used steel wool to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

OwlFancier posted:

I looked it up hoping to find an explanation but instead:

quote:

The principal building, the ubosot is an all-white building with fragments of mirrored glass embedded in the building's exterior. The ubosot embodies design elements from classic Thai architecture such as the three-tiered roof and abundant use of Naga serpents.[3] "Inside the temple, the decor swiftly moves from pristine white to fiery and bewildering. Murals depict swirling orange flames and demon faces, interspersed with Western idols such as Michael Jackson, Neo from The Matrix, Freddy Krueger, and a T-800 series Terminator. Images of nuclear warfare, terrorist attacks such as the World Trade Center attack, and oil pumps hammer home the destructive impact that humans have had on earth. The presence of Harry Potter, Superman, and Hello Kitty confuses the message somewhat, but the overall moral is clear: people are wicked.[6]

ok that's loving amazing :lmao:

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

TIP posted:

ok that's loving amazing :lmao:

More photos here: http://www.slate.com/blogs/atlas_obscura/2014/07/22/wat_rong_khun_or_the_white_temple_in_chiang_rai_thailand.html (check out the last two)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

angry birds did 9/11

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

lol

I also want to point out the angry bird flying towards the WTC in one of the ones I posted

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

St Kinga's temple, carved out of salt.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I love cool buildings and that salt situation above is freaking cool!!

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Ornery and Hornery posted:

I love cool buildings and that salt situation above is freaking cool!!

You read all 11 pages that quick?

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

a sexual elk posted:

You read all 11 pages that quick?

Yeah!

One of the coolest, saddest parts, is the old awesome stuff that was supposed to be affordable housing but now it’s all expensive :(

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Doraemon is the ultimate exemplar of mankind's depravity.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

College Hall at the University of Pennsylvania. The Addams Family house was based on this.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
That looks more like Disney’s Haunted Mansion than the actual Haunted Mansion.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

ultrafilter posted:

College Hall at the University of Pennsylvania. The Addams Family house was based on this.

there's a whole subgenre of aesthetic called "college gothic"

does it remind you of a spooky house, but the kind of place where harry potter would learn to disappear turds? thats college gothic. it was real popular in the early 20th century, one thing you learn when you start doing architectural classification is to identify when something really is old vs just people a long time ago building something brand new they wanted to look old. like "colonial revival" architecture was popular in the late 19th century in the united states, and it was a grab bag of aesthetics meant to look like hundred year old houses built brand new, a hundred+ years ago, and now we have NEO-colonial revival which is a modern interpretation of the retrohistorical interpretation and so on and so on...

Mr. Fall Down Terror has a new favorite as of 16:14 on Jul 29, 2022

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

does it remind you of a spooky house, but the kind of place where harry potter would learn to disappear turds? thats college gothic. it was real popular in the early 20th century, one thing you learn when you start doing architectural classification is to identify when something really is old vs just people a long time ago building something brand new they wanted to look old. like "colonial revival" architecture was popular in the late 19th century in the united states, and it was a grab bag of aesthetics meant to look like hundred year old houses built brand new, a hundred+ years ago, and now we have NEO-colonial revival which is a modern interpretation of the retrohistorical interpretation and so on and so on...

Copy of A

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

PYF Cool-rear end building: the kind of place where harry potter would learn to disappear turds

Such Fun
May 6, 2013

The former post office in Utrecht has been converted into a library a while back, and it is one of my favourite spaces here:

A fun fact about those black statues: They are an integral part of the construction and were placed as rough hewn blocks of arduin, a hard and dark type of lime stond. After the construction was done the blocks were carved into statues

This is the exterior, so when you step inside it's like having gone through a magic portal

Such Fun has a new favorite as of 17:10 on Sep 17, 2022

Such Fun
May 6, 2013

This is the Jachthuis (hunter's lodge) Sint-Hubertus. It was original a private country house commissioned and owned by Mr and Mrs Kröller-Müller, who were tremendous patrons of the art. The lodge is also much closer to being a monumental piece of art than a house or a home. Everything is designed by the architect Berlage: The exterior, the landscape, the interior, the furniture, the lighting, everything. The result is an extreme excercise in the style called the 'Amsterdamse School'.

It is beautiful, but also dark, oppresive, and claustrophobic. I love it.

Nowadays it's a monument, and if you ever have the opportunity to visit, you should.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Hell yeah those are cool buildings, especially that second

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Such Fun posted:

This is the Jachthuis (hunter's lodge) Sint-Hubertus.
gently caress yes would unironically play a Resident Evil/Silent Hill/Fatal Frame style game in this setting exactly as-is.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

It's real cool but the first thing I thought of was

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Jatayu Earth's Center

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Azhais posted:

Jatayu Earth's Center

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
lmao

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Amazing

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Astronomer Walter Sydney Adams at the entrance to the Hale Solar Laboratory in 1946. Photo by Edison Hoge / Courtesy of the Carnegie Institution for Science Collection at the Huntington Library, San Marino, California

The telescope dome is installed on the Hale Solar Laboratory in this photo dated November 18, 1924.

The library at the Hale Solar Laboratory

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/obsolete-art-mapping-skies-glass-plates-can-still-teach-us-180971890/

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Look at that coffered ceiling. Jesus. Drooling here

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

The Wave

Chicken Butt
Oct 27, 2010

Azhais posted:

The Wave

Where are the skateboarders?

Such Fun
May 6, 2013

Chicken Butt posted:

Where are the skateboarders?

When I was a kid, me and my mom and my brother came across a building that was basically just one of these waves, but bigger. They told me how in the winter it was used as a skiing slope, and I bought it completely and with wonder.
They laughed quite cruelly, but also I was 12, so I could have known better.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Such Fun posted:

When I was a kid, me and my mom and my brother came across a building that was basically just one of these waves, but bigger. They told me how in the winter it was used as a skiing slope, and I bought it completely and with wonder.
They laughed quite cruelly, but also I was 12, so I could have known better.

Nah, 12 year old you was cool. From this very thread:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

It's pretty uncool that they consider that their highest hill though

Such Fun
May 6, 2013

This is the Kunstmuseum Den Haag, by Berlage, the same architect as that heavy rear end building I posted before. It was finished in 1935, a year after Berlage's death, and is considered his masterpiece. It is clearly more modern, eschewing ornamentation in favour of clean lines. The difference is especially dramatic in the interior. Berlage still designed every aspect, from the bricks to the handrails. But the result is spacious, bright, and clean.
I can really appreciate the oppresiveness of his earlier work, as a piece of art. But as a functional building this is a huge step forward.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

It's amazing how ahead of its time it feels. Kinda like so many people think falling water was made in like the 70s

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

That cool house with the giant central tower reminded me of a very short-lived insane house some rich English guy build in the late 18th/early 19th century. All I could remember about it was that it was "Something Abbey" and it had a giant tower, so I googled "abbey huge tower fell down".
The very first result got me "Fonthill Abbey"

Unfortunately it didn't survive long enough to be photographed, but the paintings/engravings of it are just insane.

The wikipedia entry is absolutely worth a read - here are a couple of highlights

quote:

The first part to be built was the tower, which reached about 90 metres (300 ft) before it collapsed. The new tower was finished six years later, again 90 metres tall. It collapsed as well. Beckford immediately started to build another one, this time with stone, and this work was finished in seven years.

quote:

Once he stipulated that he would eat a Christmas dinner only if it were served from the new abbey kitchens, and told his workmen to hurry. The kitchens collapsed as soon as the meal was over.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Very strong Barad-Dur vibes here

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

That spire looks like Isengard, I keep waiting for a wizard dual to break out.

E: I guess Barad-Dur too.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

You'd want to be very careful having a duel up there; apparently the entire huge tower was built out of cement and wood - real three little pigs stuff.

Such Fun
May 6, 2013

I have a memory of seeing a short documentary on YouTube about Fonthill Abbey, but I can’t find it back.
It’s such an amazing story of this wretch of a man aimlessly seeking to fill his unhappy life. And having seemingly infinite money, his attempts keep getting wilder and more desperate.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

I thought the englishman who wanted to live in a cathedral was crazy already and then

Pookah posted:

You'd want to be very careful having a duel up there; apparently the entire huge tower was built out of cement and wood - real three little pigs stuff.

out came the nitrous and the overdrive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Such Fun posted:

I have a memory of seeing a short documentary on YouTube about Fonthill Abbey, but I can’t find it back.

Here you go