Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

shadow puppet of a posted:

Growing up I had this lone guy. No accessories. No droids-assistant. No world of possibilities.

But bitterness filled my heart today when I realized there was a rich world of Arco's Robot Zone back in 1985 that I was denied knowledge of.

I had a similar situation back in the early 80s, I somehow acquired this two headed dragon thingy and a few other creatures:

.... and never even realised there was an entire action figure line with dozens of characters and accessory packs and playsets:

https://www.littleweirdos.net/2013/08/the-other-world-80s-fantasy-toy-gold.html

In this case it was pretty much the opposite of the thread title and the toys were lovely and cheap and I suspect they didn't last long in shops here in Australia, but I missed out on them until they started turning up in thrift stores.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

I thought slot car racing was pretty fun, but i had a twin brother and my dad bought a bunch of track at a garage sale (where most of our toys came from) and we build elaborate tracks and actually raced.... one segment of track had a ticker on it and when your car drove over it, it would cycle a gear and +1 the number window so you could keep track and race till like, first person to hit X laps.

Growing up with a best friend is pretty amazing I have to say.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
I never got any bjs when I was a kid either.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).
That's probably for the best.

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

We eat the pig then together we BURN
I wanted this ninja turtle thing that was like a chamber and you would put the ninja turtle in there and it would pour ooze all over it, instead i got a thing of pizza scented gak, it looked and smelled of vomit and it spread a thin film of stink and disease over everything i owned

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I always wanted Fort Kerium, home base of Marshall Bravestarr when I was a kid.

I bought one on ebay in my early twenties (circa 2003), but it's huge, and so I got rid of it at some point because my ex-wife always wanted to move to a new place as soon as we moved in somewhere. I lost a lot of my cool poo poo during those pointless moves.

I still have the main Bravestarr figures, including the horse with the gun. They're cool.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Gutter Phoenix posted:

I always wanted Fort Kerium, home base of Marshall Bravestarr when I was a kid.

I bought one on ebay in my early twenties (circa 2003), but it's huge, and so I got rid of it at some point because my ex-wife always wanted to move to a new place as soon as we moved in somewhere. I lost a lot of my cool poo poo during those pointless moves.

I still have the main Bravestarr figures, including the horse with the gun. They're cool.

That show was dope but the fuckin prairie people pissed me off

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

I wanted the Lego civil war fort but instead I got this and I loving loved this poo poo

I must've had dozens of military themed micromachine sets but what I really wanted was the Lego

the bricks are always greener I guess lol

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

wesleywillis posted:

That show was dope but the fuckin prairie people pissed me off

To this day, I have never watched the Bravestarr cartoon. I only know it from the toys. I don't want to mix the two.

It would be like living in that lovely movie, Cool World. I wouldn't like that at all.

I will probably watch it some day, or at least an episode or two.

Gutter Phoenix fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Nov 16, 2021

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

What was the toy line of really hosed-up (like monster/mutant/human-animal-hybrid levels hosed up I think but also just hosed up people) wrestlers (I think?) that for some reason had both poseable figures and then the same figures that were not (as) poseable? They were on the bottom shelf of the toy aisle at Runos-Market in the late 1980s (again, I think?) for like ½ a year and then disappeared as quietly as they had appeared.

e: Roughly Masters-sized but with hosed-up proportions.

ee: I think one guy had a worm or maggot coming out of the mouth or eye socket of their possibly vaguely skull-like head?

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Nov 16, 2021

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

micromachines were super cool... occasionally you would get one that didn't have a good fit on the axle to the wheel and it wouldn't spin, but i had like maybe 5? and 3 were great, 1 was iffy and 1 was kinda poop.

super detailed and neat though i loved em as a kid.

[edit] i caught marshall bravestar or whatever near the end of my cartoon days.... it seemed pretty good, but i wasn't really waking up to watch saturday cartoons anymore. Was he protecting anthropomorphic cattle in the show? It was weird.

Wendigee fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Nov 16, 2021

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Wendigee posted:

micromachines were super cool... occasionally you would get one that didn't have a good fit on the axle to the wheel and it wouldn't spin, but i had like maybe 5? and 3 were great, 1 was iffy and 1 was kinda poop.

super detailed and neat though i loved em as a kid.

[edit] i caught marshall bravestar or whatever near the end of my cartoon days.... it seemed pretty good, but it didn't suck me in. Was he protecting anthropomorphic cattle in the show?

He was a cop so he was protecting capital. But the two-parter Sherlock Holmes episode is the only good steampunk ever made.

I saw Bravestarr dolls on cleareance for like 20 marks back in the day (a He-Man would cost like 50 marks) but my mum wouldn't buy any :( (Probably because we didn't have any money!)

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Don't besmirch the good name of Marshall Bravestarr by calling it steampunk!

That fort had a bank vault that could be blown open, for Christ's sake. And there were lasers! That was some fancy poo poo in the primitive 80's.

I like the Marshall Bravestarr toys, and if anyone has a problem with that, well, than that's on them.

I always liked old western movies and space shows on TV, so combining them and adding lazers, and then giving the hero a robotic horse that could stand up on two legs and fire a fuckin' bazooka, well, that's just a winning combination.

There is also an alien bartender that throws plates. That's something special.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

3D Megadoodoo posted:

What was the toy line of really hosed-up (like monster/mutant/human-animal-hybrid levels hosed up I think but also just hosed up people) wrestlers (I think?) that for some reason had both poseable figures and then the same figures that were not (as) poseable? They were on the bottom shelf of the toy aisle at Runos-Market in the late 1980s (again, I think?) for like ½ a year and then disappeared as quietly as they had appeared.

ee: I think one guy had a worm or maggot coming out of the mouth or eye socket of their possibly vaguely skull-like head?

Monsters in My Pocket?

Battle Beasts?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Mad Balls had poseable action figures and non-poseable headball figures and featured a fair amount of eye trauma:

There were a lot of gross-out toys around that time (Garbage Pail Kids, Skateboard Smack-Ups, Mad Scientist, Gross Out Gang, Mash 'Ems, Ugglies, Savage Mondo Blitzers, etc etc etc) and lots of weird wrestler-shaped action figures and undoubtedly a whole ton of weird knock-off/cash-in copies of all of the above so there was likely a shitload of obscure stuff as well

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

this sexy piece of rear end

Last Visible Dog
Jul 30, 2015

3D Megadoodoo posted:

This might not be it, but the "wrestler" part made me think of the "Muscle Men" figures:

Small and pink and inexplicable, and seemingly based off anything and everything. I had a handful at one point. I think I still have the toilet paper dude somewhere?

They were apparently merchandise for an 80s manga series called M.U.S.C.L.E. and for whatever reason they were brought to the US.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Gutter Phoenix posted:

Don't besmirch the good name of Marshall Bravestarr by calling it steampunk!

That fort had a bank vault that could be blown open, for Christ's sake. And there were lasers! That was some fancy poo poo in the primitive 80's.

I like the Marshall Bravestarr toys, and if anyone has a problem with that, well, than that's on them.

I always liked old western movies and space shows on TV, so combining them and adding lazers, and then giving the hero a robotic horse that could stand up on two legs and fire a fuckin' bazooka, well, that's just a winning combination.

There is also an alien bartender that throws plates. That's something special.

Tex hex was my favorite I gotta say

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Watching an episode of BraveStarr right now and Tex Hex and his homies are jacking a bunch of Karium from the bank. One of Tex's Gs is driving a forklift to loot all that sweet sweet Karium.

Observe:
https://youtu.be/O0Xwtc_9eXY?t=626

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

wesleywillis posted:

Tex hex was my favorite I gotta say

You have exquisite taste, my friend!

teardrop
Dec 20, 2004

by Pragmatica

I wonder how many Action Tables they sold

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

teardrop posted:

Hey now it was officially endorsed by the International Arm Wrestling Council, that clearly drove the toy's desirability and collectability through the roof :colbert:

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

teardrop posted:

I remember Over the Top merch being on closeout for YEARS after the release of the movie at toystores like KayBee and Child World. Then again, the same was true of Star Wars toys by the mid to late 80s.

I wish I'd had the money to buy more of it back then, and the space to store it over these past decades!

I did have the foresight to buy up my friends' old Star Wars toys in the late 80's, but I sold them in 2001 to pay for my first wedding and resettlement in Portland. Oh well.

Gutter Phoenix fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Nov 16, 2021

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

wesleywillis posted:

Watching an episode of BraveStarr right now and Tex Hex and his homies are jacking a bunch of Karium from the bank. One of Tex's Gs is driving a forklift to loot all that sweet sweet Karium.

Observe:
https://youtu.be/O0Xwtc_9eXY?t=626

Hell yeah!

:horsedrugs:

I clearly need to watch this television program, post-haste.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

They were the ultimate outlaws. I bet that guy wasn't even forklift certified. Also no rollover protection system in that poo poo. Dude handles it like a pro though.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

wesleywillis posted:

They were the ultimate outlaws. I bet that guy wasn't even forklift certified. Also no rollover protection system in that poo poo. Dude handles it like a pro though.

Nah, he looks union certified. Tex Hex was a bank robber, not an anti-labor ghoul like some rotten banker.

melvinthemopboy3
Sep 29, 2008

I used to work at Troma. They had a TON of these figures in their basement totally unopened.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

That's awesome!

I've always had a deep appreciation for Troma, even if the films themselves are often not that great.

I have a Rabid Grannies/ Ferocious Female Freedom fighters poster that I got as a kid from a video store in Geneva, Illinois. I need to get it framed one of these days when I have wall space to hang it.

tractor man
Nov 11, 2021

Do you have any stories abiut troma? Seems like it would have been a goofy workplace

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Last Visible Dog posted:

This might not be it, but the "wrestler" part made me think of the "Muscle Men" figures:

Small and pink and inexplicable, and seemingly based off anything and everything. I had a handful at one point. I think I still have the toilet paper dude somewhere?

They were apparently merchandise for an 80s manga series called M.U.S.C.L.E. and for whatever reason they were brought to the US.

I loved those fuckin' M.U.S.C.L.E. toys when I was a kid. I still have some somewhere.

I was in Tokyo in 2017, and they still sold those (or something very similar) in those awesome toy vending machines they have all over the place.

These are also rad, although I wasn't aware they existed until just a few years ago:

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!
Exec: “Let’s make a movie with the #2 action star in the world.”

Writer: “Great! We thinking monsters, or aliens, or terrorists, or…”

Exec: “None of the above. This movie will be about arm wrestling.”

Licensing department: “Also there will be a whole rear end line of action figures with Real Arm Wrestling Action. Like GI Joes but no guns or cars or bases or Kung fu grip; JUST arm wrestling.”

The 80s and 90s were fuckin batshit eras where anything could and did get made. Also, there were play sets galore. I often wonder why there aren’t more actual play sets being made anymore, and when they are made, why they’re poo poo compared to the old stuff.

I have fond memories of the Power Dome, the Jurassic Park command center, the GI Joe reskin Street Fighter Shadowloo base, and (IMO) the greatest of all time, the Batman Returns Batcave. Why no more bases goddamnit?

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I was getting too old for toys when the TMNT craze hit, but I secretly still loved them, and collected them.

I had an uncle who was an executive at Playmates toys at the time, and through my cousin Rick, I scored a set of the first generation turtles on their cards, and some plush Raphael dolls. I personally bought a Splinter and April O'Neil from Toys R Us in 6th grade, and kept them in a box until I sold them for rent money a dozen years ago.

That was an awesome toy line.

I also had a bootleg Raphael called "Fighting Action Turtle" on a knock off card that I bought at Fisherman's Wharf in San Francisco in 1991. I wish I still had that. It was fuckin' sweet.

It was this, but Raphael (he was my favorite):

Gutter Phoenix fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Nov 16, 2021

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

bloodysabbath posted:

Exec: “Let’s make a movie with the #2 action star in the world.”

Writer: “Great! We thinking monsters, or aliens, or terrorists, or…”

Exec: “None of the above. This movie will be about arm wrestling.”

Licensing department: “Also there will be a whole rear end line of action figures with Real Arm Wrestling Action. Like GI Joes but no guns or cars or bases or Kung fu grip; JUST arm wrestling.”

Even better, he signed up in '84 just after he'd made Rocky 3 and First Blood when he was at the height of absolute height of his career. The movie was produced by Menahem Golan/Cannon Films which answers a lot of questions but raises several others

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
stop selling everything for rent money man, you're gonna have nothing left but guttfeld toys

melvinthemopboy3
Sep 29, 2008

tractor man posted:

Do you have any stories abiut troma? Seems like it would have been a goofy workplace

I interned there during college, worked on the production of Return to Nuke Em High and then got a job in the office once production wrapped. It’s an incredibly dysfunctional workplace, but I did learn a lot, especially in terms of the business side of entertainment. Lloyd Kaufman and Michael Herz were just great to observe on a daily basis.

I remember one specific meeting I had with the two of them. Keep in mind that their office is set up so that their desks face each other and people meeting with them sit in between. It makes you feel like you’re the net in a ping pong match. We were meeting to brainstorm ideas for a proposed comcast partnership and Lloyd says “how about Tromeo & Juliet Meet Frankenstein?” And Michael sits back in his chair and thinks for a second before saying “No, Lloyd. They “do” him. Tromeo & Juliet Do Frankenstein.”

Needless to say, Comcast did not enter into this partnership.

tractor man
Nov 11, 2021

Comcast are pussies

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Arm wrestling AND big rig trucking. Not unlike Breaker! Breaker! with Chuck Norris, which, sadly, did not get a toy line.

There were, however, the Chuck Norris Karate Kommandoes:

Funny, I have the exact same license plate on my 1986 MAD MAX-style supercharged blade-bearing marauder Corvette, which I race through the tent cities of Oakland, looking for cool, old toys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tractor man
Nov 11, 2021