Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Komet posted:

Counterpoint, Sitkowski broke his arm.

I wouldn't be surprised to see more injuries in these types of overtimes because each period becomes increasingly desperate with wild trick plays no one actually practices for.

So i guess we just roll with ties so we don't have OT at all? I could live with that but I dunno that fans would.

Injuries can happen anytime, limiting the opportunities for injury after the end of regulation is good imo

You've actually argued for the rule. Some weird play design isn't inherently more prone to injury than a regularly designed scrimmage play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

I don't mind it, over the long run it's practically a coin flip whether you win or lose a game that was decided by less than 1 touchdown, so any game that goes to overtime only further underscores this. Hell, back them up a few yards and just make start OT with trading the 2PCs. Do that for a bit and then, I dunno, send the kickers out there by themselves to try to hit progressively longer field goals off of a tee. Of course, I'd also be indifferent to them just going back to having games end in a tie everywhere except for championship games.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I’d be fine with 2 OTs and then call it a tie. Championship, Bowl, and playoffs can keep going. There’s really nothing that wrong with a tie for regular games.

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak

The Notorious ZSB posted:

So i guess we just roll with ties so we don't have OT at all? I could live with that but I dunno that fans would.

Injuries can happen anytime, limiting the opportunities for injury after the end of regulation is good imo

You've actually argued for the rule. Some weird play design isn't inherently more prone to injury than a regularly designed scrimmage play.

The injury wasn't even on a trick play was it? He was outside the pocket and landed awkwardly after throwing the ball, that can happen on any given play.

Each team ran 7 plays after the second overtime. That's not an unusual amount of plays for a team to run in a single overtime period. So from limiting plays and injury chances it works. My argument against it is that the outcome of a game can be decided by a single play instead a series of plays. So many things can happen on a single play, bad snap, receiver slips, missed tackle, etc., but over the course of 4 downs you have chances before and/or after that play to try again. It's like the MLB single game will card, even during the regular season games are played in sets of 3 or 4 at a time.

That said I did enjoy the 9 overtime game, partly because I had no rooting interest and enjoyed the trading ineptitude. Would have been fun if both teams kept scoring to extend it too. Not sure I would enjoy it as much if it was my team though.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Whoever drew up the new OT rules was clearly a cfb kicker and just wanted to remove all of the stress and pressure from kickers in extended overtime.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

single-mode fiber posted:

I don't mind it, over the long run it's practically a coin flip whether you win or lose a game that was decided by less than 1 touchdown

Scott Frost begs to differ.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Scarf posted:

Whoever drew up the new OT rules was clearly a cfb kicker and just wanted to remove all of the stress and pressure from kickers in extended overtime.

The obvious answer is to move field position back to the 35 and add more stress to the kicker.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
I feel like 14 teams is too much for the Sun Belt.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Komet posted:

The obvious answer is to move field position back to the 35 and add more stress to the kicker.

I agree with this

Cnidario
Mar 22, 2013

JMU’s Board of Visitors just approved decision to move to the Sun Belt. Now the decision goes to the VA General Assembly for approval
:bisonyes:

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

GD_American posted:

I feel like 14 teams is too much for the Sun Belt.

It's a lot, but like the MAC it's still pretty geographically and culturally coherent.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

fast cars loose anus posted:

To be fair if it wasn't for the new format Illinois and Penn State would probably still be trading field goals

Someone would have messed up. I mean, PSU got a false start on the kicker and I didn't even know that was possible

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Hed posted:

I’ve never seen these before, thanks for posting. Pretty interesting.

I’m more neutral now about the 3OT and beyond rule than I was before where I hated the change. I guess I forgot limiting the number of plays was the intention and his reasoning that even 3OT-9OT only resulted in 14 total plays was something I hadn’t considered.

they need to stick to one end zone , i think over half the time was walking back and forth

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

mastershakeman posted:

they need to stick to one end zone , i think over half the time was walking back and forth

There's a student section in one of them, so the teams kept getting the option of what end zone they wanted and they'd pick the one with or without the student section

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Oct 29, 2021

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Stetson starting against Florida but Daniels will be available.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

D.N. Nation posted:

It's going to be a real chess match between Georgia and Grantham.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Just do the Dr Pepper halftime throw for OT.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

D.N. Nation posted:

Honestly, I think Stetson has a good enough skillset this year to carry us where we need to be. I think JT is more in line with what we want out of our offense, but Stetson had us hanging with Bama until the wheels fell off and tied with UF last year until he got hurt. He looks way better this year than last year. I'd rather JT but I'm not super worried about it.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

wa27 posted:

Just do the Dr Pepper halftime throw for OT.

As long as they do two random students and the winner also gets a Dr. Pepper scholarship

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

based on the posession summary and stats tulsa and navy appear to be playing the worst game in history

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Cnidario posted:

JMU’s Board of Visitors just approved decision to move to the Sun Belt. Now the decision goes to the VA General Assembly for approval

Wait, JMU is a public school!?

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Good morning everyone. I would like to start today off by saying gently caress the Florida gators, gently caress Dan Mullen, gently caress Todd Grantham, gently caress Ron DeSantis, and gently caress drat near everything else about the state of Florida.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Cnidario posted:

"Sun belt" is not an expression that comes to mind when I visit Harrisonburg.

KKKLIP ART posted:

Good morning everyone. I would like to start today off by saying gently caress Todd Grantham

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

KKKLIP ART posted:

Good morning everyone. I would like to start today off by saying gently caress the Florida gators, gently caress Dan Mullen, gently caress Todd Grantham, gently caress Ron DeSantis, and gently caress drat near everything else about the state of Florida.

Agreed.

But gently caress Georgia more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I hope everyone plays safe and has fun