Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DemonToadGoat
Jan 12, 2015

If you measure the distance between nucleus and electron, and compare that to the size of our universe, you'd get a very big number that is about how far away the next universe is.
Who knows what the fabric of that place is made of, but there's no telling what state the other universe is in. We wouldn't even know the states of our universe before we saw more than a couple of those other ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

but what happens to the fruit?

You'll be fine

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
Didn't read thread but it's Kirk Johnson's colon OP.

erosion
Dec 21, 2002

It's true and I'm tired of pretending it isn't
If you took the entire universe and put it into a tube, you'd get a tube about twice the size of the universe.

I mean, you wouldn't want to put it in a tube.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

erosion posted:

If you took the entire universe and put it into a tube, you'd get a tube about twice the size of the universe.

In any time of trouble all you have to do is look up at the Little Dipster

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Schrodinger's cat.

No wait, nope. Sorry. It wants to come back in again.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
I mean you could listen to that Modest Mouse song

The universe is shaped exactly like the earth / if you go straight long enough you're gonna end up where you were

Earth is approximately in Ohio

Seth Pecksniff fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Apr 26, 2022

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

erosion posted:

No, that's wrong. You would get a tube the size of the tube. A tube doesn't get bigger just because you put things into it. At best you get a broken tube, but not a bigger one.

naem
May 29, 2011

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Earth is approximately in Ohio

:stare:

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

recursive Ohio, oh-my-oh god

erosion
Dec 21, 2002

It's true and I'm tired of pretending it isn't

GABA ghoul posted:

No, that's wrong. You would get a tube the size of the tube. A tube doesn't get bigger just because you put things into it. At best you get a broken tube, but not a bigger one.

The universe to me is like a blind date. You're beautiful. And you're massive. And you've got a black hole, and I just want to explore that.

MaliciousBiz
Mar 28, 2010

I Pay to Poast on Internet
what is outside the universe?

That is where God and Jesus live.

You're welcome.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

outside the universe is a crazy big 12 dimensional metropolis that will consume us. Our universe is in a tiny little crack that only had 3 dimensions to it, a pocket universe. All it takes it one street sweeper to get us just right and we're gone like dust in the wind, actually we would be dust in this 12 dimensional wind.

DemonToadGoat
Jan 12, 2015

GABA ghoul posted:

I put blood in my tube and it becomes a magnum dong, the universe is much the same.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

GABA ghoul posted:

They never said the tube would get bigger

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
It gets easier once you get past the universal sigmoid

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

Wicker Man posted:

When we die, God makes every human being into a lesser god that is king of their own little bubble of reality that appears infinite from within. We all cosplay as God in our own spheres of reality, which are basically universes next to each other.

Weird, I thought that In the woods there grew a tree and a fine fine tree was he, and on that tree there was a limb, and on that limb there was a branch, and on that branch there was a nest, and in that nest there was an egg, and in that egg there was a bird, and from that bird a feather came, and of that feather was a bed, and on that bed there was a girl, and on that girl there was a man, and from that man there was a seed, and from that seed there was a boy, and from that boy there was a man, and for that man there was a grave, and from that grave there grew a tree, In the Summerisle, Summerisle, Summerisle, Summerisle wood. And on that bed there was a girl, Summerisle, and on that girl there was a man, Summerisle, and from that man there was a seed, Summerisle, and from that seed there was a boy, Summerisle, and from that boy there was a man, Summerisle, and for that man there was a grave, Summerisle, and from that grave there grew a tree, et cetera

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

it's like the suburbs, just a bunch of essentially identical universes all lined up w/ slightly different poo poo inside them

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Endless videogames

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

poverty goat posted:

it's like the suburbs, just a bunch of essentially identical universes all lined up w/ slightly different poo poo inside them

We got the poo poo galaxy with no local Costco :argh:

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
posting post 420

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
So what did astronomers find out about our galaxy? I read a headline that said they had some news to announce.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Outside the universe is Bugs Bunny sitting at an animation desk, saying "Ain't I a stinker?"

And us? I'm afraid we are all Daffy, my friends.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

Outpost22 posted:

So what did astronomers find out about our galaxy? I read a headline that said they had some news to announce.

it's big

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Powered Descent posted:

Outside the universe is Bugs Bunny sitting at an animation desk, saying "Ain't I a stinker?"

And us? I'm afraid we are all Daffy, my friends.

we are actually Florida, and he cut us off billions of years ago that was the big bang.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

outside the universe?

i think you know...

... a little place I like to call...

THE CROSSROADS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMYAEHE2GrM

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Outpost22 posted:

They found evidence that George Washington was an alien stranded here after it's ship crashed

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side

Outpost22 posted:

Maybe the found Planet X!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pe83T9hISoY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uLvynZjMWM

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

T’wun T’wun, nice. :hmmyes:

I guess the question could be resolved to: should a level have a lateral edge? Yes it should.

It occurred to me that in order for water to have surface tension, all water must have some degree of salinity, even at the electrostatic level for completely distilled water. So if you want to make a perfect level for a tool, you could simply completely saturate a metered capsule full of water with salt, so that only one salt particle was out of solution. You put a diode on the two atoms at the quantum median of the glass capsule, and when the salt particle hits the quantum mean it electromagnetically locks the level into position, until you manually break the circuit of the diode.

With a standard level you are just approximating the moment of surface tension, and it’s not a mean so it’s teetered to one side or the other, always butted up on the flexing air bubble but never really at the top. And it’s always moving, there are tidal forces in the oily green fluid that are effected by the moons gravity, so 2 reading taken at different times will produce a different quantum result. Also, it doesn’t have a real lateral edge, so the larger you scale up the less accurate it becomes, just curving to the arc of empty space.

What is outside the universe? Bullshit and bad guesses. :shrug:

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

i'm pretty sure outside the universe there's just cum

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_hole_cosmology

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi
the key feature that makes something part of our universe is 1. spatial dimensions and 2. energy.

thermodynamics is an emergent consequence of a universe with energy arrayed in space. and time is an emergent property of a thermodynamic universe. anything you conceive of that’s just mass/energy arrayed along spatial dimensions isn’t really a different universe, just a different branch of whatever reality we’re in.

so, to see outside you’d have to conceive of something basically inconceivable. so don’t bother. smoking salvia won’t even get you there.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Ocean Book posted:

the key feature that makes something part of our universe is 1. spatial dimensions and 2. energy.

thermodynamics is an emergent consequence of a universe with energy arrayed in space. and time is an emergent property of a thermodynamic universe. anything you conceive of that’s just mass/energy arrayed along spatial dimensions isn’t really a different universe, just a different branch of whatever reality we’re in.

so, to see outside you’d have to conceive of something basically inconceivable. so don’t bother. smoking salvia won’t even get you there.

what about the last digit of pi. where is that. certainly not the universe

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

Rutibex posted:

what about the last digit of pi. where is that. certainly not the universe

Turn your monitor orb

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.
Grits. An eternal plane of grits with butter made by the ultimate southern grandma.

Also if you could see our universe from outside it would look like a black hole. Really makes you think.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

the universe is everything u rubes, there is no 'outside' everything you can imagine is part of it there's no such thing as a multiverghuifah

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

The Protagonist posted:

the universe is everything u rubes, there is no 'outside' everything you can imagine is part of it there's no such thing as a multiverghuifah

Laughing my rear end off at this post as I finally reach the edge of the universe, look back one last time, and hit the gas

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side

Ocean Book posted:

smoking salvia won’t even get you there.

but dmt might

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

naem
May 29, 2011

there is infinite empty nothing in every direction

the big bang was a flash in the dark

matter, energy, time- all expanding outward into the nothingness ever more rapidly

eventually spread so thin as to not exist