Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
It never "felt" like a phase change, tbh. Outside of Kang going from an implication to a presence, it never really had a threshold crossing moment that cemented Phase 5 as a separate era from Phase 4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

The concept of multiverses is the binding glue for Phase 4 prob but it only covers like half the movies and one TV show

It also covers most of the only movies and TV shows I liked, MoM, No Way Home, and Loki

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.
I....

I liked Eternals.

:cripes:

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

StrugglingHoneybun posted:

I....

I liked Eternals.

Hey, me too!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

The Bee posted:

It never "felt" like a phase change, tbh. Outside of Kang going from an implication to a presence, it never really had a threshold crossing moment that cemented Phase 5 as a separate era from Phase 4.

The phase change is 'gently caress everyone's down on the MCU jump to the next phase so people think we're starting fresh'

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

I....

I liked Eternals.

I remain extremely puzzled about how a director as experienced and accomplished as Zhao was unable to give her superhero movie some loving colour.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

I....

I liked Eternals.

I didn't hate it. I just wish it had been a 12 hour miniseries on Disney+ so it could have done justice to a story that encompassed thousands of years of human history.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Everyone posted:

I didn't hate it. I just wish it had been a 12 hour miniseries on Disney+ so it could have done justice to a story that encompassed thousands of years of human history.

Or if they'd let the Deviants have actual lives and personalities like they do in the comics. That was a pretty serious omission.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

My question would be, what did you guys like about it? I couldn't find anything in there

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I liked Doctor Strange 2, especially the more Raimi bits.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Darth Walrus posted:

I remain extremely puzzled about how a director as experienced and accomplished as Zhao was unable to give her superhero movie some loving colour.

It's unfortunately part of her style, she's big on the low-contrast cinematography everyone loves these days for some reason

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Shageletic posted:

My question would be, what did you guys like about it? I couldn't find anything in there

The restraint to not use any slow motion so a speedster could actually look fast was nice

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Darth Walrus posted:

Doesn't Marvel require everything across their movies to look the same? Guardians, and Dr. Strange for some reason have been the few exceptions.

La Louve Rouge
Jun 25, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The Yelena movie and the Wanda movie were both good

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

I said come in! posted:

Doesn't Marvel require everything across their movies to look the same? Guardians, and Dr. Strange for some reason have been the few exceptions.

I feel it’s less a directive to have the same look and more a directive not to take too long with those setups, c’mon we got a schedule here

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
Good emotional core, mediocre action, making for the best MCU movie in a long time. Cheating a bit to use the CGI animals but the character drama was pretty well done too.

It was also pretty smart to fight so many biomechanical things to spray fluids around - look at how bloodless death blow against a human is

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Shageletic posted:

I didn't like the movie, but I did appreciate that they let Ma Dong-seok slap a CGI thing. I'd watch him smack the poo poo out of anything.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Away all Goats posted:

The restraint to not use any slow motion so a speedster could actually look fast was nice

LesterGroans posted:

I didn't like the movie, but I did appreciate that they let Ma Dong-seok slap a CGI thing. I'd watch him smack the poo poo out of anything.

Can't disagree with this. Yeah good moments. Still a dire movie around imo tho.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

It was just very boring. It’s an assemble movie with none of the setup. Very little happened in it. Like it’s not even bad enough to really make fun of it’s just very bland.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
The hallway scene was the best part. They already covered the bleak rocket origin in the telltale GoTG game that I guess no one played, so this had no real emotional weight to it for me.

game spoiler: part of the plot is even bringing lila back from the dead, or the idea of it anyway

Not killing off any of these decade-long actors when they are very done feels like Disney is playing the long game and waiting for the days that a digital likeness is convincing enough to be the norm..chris pratt might be 80 but his avatar won't be in "Avengers 12: angry moleman"

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Killing these characters would be pretty bad. I’m happy they moved on and didn’t die horrible deaths and are now happy.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

CelticPredator posted:

Killing these characters would be pretty bad. I’m happy they moved on and didn’t die horrible deaths and are now happy.

personally, i like things having stakes and that's an easy way to split from the comic source material and say this is its own thing

and it's not like they aren't afraid of this, i don't see scar jo ever coming back to any of this stuff, etc etc

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I guess I disagree that not killing anyone isn’t having stakes. This being the last one any of them could’ve went. But the fact that Gunn didn’t is really pretty great honestly.

I guess even though I like some of the Star Wars sequels, killing off the OT cast in every movie to “end” there story in hindsight is kind of weak. It’s a cheap way to bring up drama.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

CelticPredator posted:

I guess I disagree that not killing anyone isn’t having stakes. This being the last one any of them could’ve went. But the fact that Gunn didn’t is really pretty great honestly.

I guess even though I like some of the Star Wars sequels, killing off the OT cast in every movie to “end” there story in hindsight is kind of weak. It’s a cheap way to bring up drama.

i agree with you there, if they bring back these characters in whatever the young avengers next wave style thing they are clearly doing, and then kill them off, that's hack poo poo for sure

e: also realizing the mid credits scene of this and the ending of thor 4 are incredibly similar..I fully expect a bunch more of these films to have that exact scene setup too, because it's the clunkiest way to get to the young next gen wave of actors, so why have any subtley.

at least the hawkeye show did this in a decent way, assuming it was leaning entirely on that fraction/aja comic run for that though and they got lucky it was just an easy adaptation

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jul 8, 2023

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yeah definitely. I probably won’t see it anyway lol.

I don’t think they will besides star lord. Definitely not Drax. That’s for sure.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The only thing I was confused about with Vol. 3 is, what happened to Peter Quills helmet? I recall it being destroyed in Vol. 2, but didn't he have it back in Avengers Infinity War? It made the whole getting stuck in the vacuum of space scene really weird, that was the only moment of the movie that I thought was bad, and that was a pretty minor nothing that didn't need to happen, so it didn't hurt the movie either really.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Destroyed in Vol 2, brought back in infinity war bc the russos lol.

Gunn didn’t write that or want it back. But his explanation is he forgot it lol

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Phase 4 had some good movies. Shang-Chi. Multiverse of Madness, No Way Home. All pretty good movies, better than the average marvel film I'd even say.

And the 'TV' Shows were all pretty much above average to great imo. Loki and Moon Knight especially, but I greatly enjoyed Miss Marvel and Hawkeye too. FatWS was probably the worst of them.

GoG v3 was still better than any of these of course. But I think GoG v3 is like, a top 5 marvel movie.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

For the TV shows, I really liked Loki, and Ms Marvel. There were things I really liked about She Hulk, but if someone said it wasn't really that good of a show, I wouldn't defend it. Guardians of the Galaxy 3 is one of my favorite MCU films, the more I think about it the more I realize how brilliant, funny, and well done it was. James Gunn leaving MCU is a gigantic loss for Marvel.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I'm super surprised I actually liked this movie. Giving everything a chance works every so often, I guess.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

CelticPredator posted:

To me it was enough that there was genuine suspense that they might. Like when Drax was shot I figured “oh, okay, that’s it” and then Mantis tries to help him so maybe she gets it, etc. The knowledge of this all being one last hurrah meant the tension was there even if the cast all got a nice ending instead.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Yeah I went in expecting Drax to die. Bautista said he was done with the franchise so I was prepped to have some eye water.

I was not prepared to bawl my eyes out at a rabbit and otter dying. That poo poo wrecked me, animals dying in movies always ruins me.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Shageletic posted:

I found the character interactions to be pleasant. Also, I'm a sucker for the cosmic side of Marvel Comics, so watching the Celestials was great.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Finally saw this, it's really really good compared to a lotta other MCU movies. Guardians 1 and 2 are up there as like my favorite Marvel flicks so I'm glad this one didn't disappoint.

One thing that was odd about it compared to the last two was a lot of the intended humor didn't land for me at all, lotta retreads. But all the Rocket/High Evolutionary stuff more than made up for that.

Going in blind, I will admit they really did have me thinking for a second that they were going to kill Star-Lord for real. The CG overall looked a lot better here than a lot of the other recent Marvel flicks too.

I know No One's Ever Really Gone at Disney but having Star-Lord go on sabbatical and then announce that he'd be returning like right after felt weird.

I notice the new Guardians have one one of those kids that was imprisoned as member so we have another Young Avengers person I guess? Are they a person from the comics?

I'm sad that Mantis left even if I get why. :(

High Evolutionary was great, I appreciated the movie giving us both a literal mask off moment at the very end along with all the figurative ones lol, also the extreme restraint to not have Star-Lord say "See high Evolutionary? It's not a trap, it IS a FACE OFF." when it happens lmao

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Neo Rasa posted:

I notice the new Guardians have one one of those kids that was imprisoned as member so we have another Young Avengers person I guess? Are they a person from the comics?

Yeah I'm not familiar with the character but she's Phyla-Vell. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phyla-Vell

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

Neo Rasa posted:

the extreme restraint to not have Star-Lord say "See high Evolutionary? It's not a trap, it IS a FACE OFF." when it happens lmao

Hahahahaha

This is my head canon now. This happened.
It would have been cringe AF to have put it on screen, but it happened.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Hahahahaha

Same I couldn't believe they didn't say it out loud lmao

Like it's absolutely cannon that Star-Lord obnoxiously interrupted some conversation between Rocket and Nebula or whoever a few days later just to point it out to them or something.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Unfortunate that Peter Quill left Earth in 1988, and thus not around as a teen for the release of Face/Off.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I watched it this afternoon and really enjoyed it.

* I think there should have been more of a payoff with Drax getting mindwiped by Mantis. That seemed like a huge breech of trust.

* Drax being built on dumb Dad jokes and then being a great Dad is such an obvious thing that I loved the hell out of it.

* HE'S brain basically breaking when he makes something smarter than him is such a loving dark and scary moment. There's also a ton of ambiguity about it suggesting that Rocket himself was kind of special, since HE couldn't just wire up another animal's brain the same way. Real NATURE/Nurture stuff that I liked.

* Quill's a loving idiot and I was sick of hearing "don't you remember" poo poo when it's literally an earlier version of Gamora he talks to. Like if you plucked someone put of their teens and kept talking about college antics.

* that said Gamora getting an appreciation for the crew was well done. I'm glad they let that character become their own thing instead of just falling back into the V2 version like it was fated.

* Mantis getting frustrated and just being a dick kind of got tired. They shifted a lot of Drax's awkwardness to her as a comic relief character.

* Honestly didn't think making Rocket the emotional core of the story would work so well. drat was this good.

* Cosmo likes The Carpenters. Really is a Good Dog. The VA work on her was just amazing.

* Adam being a dumbass kind of replays the Mantis/Drax stuff. Wish that there was more to the character than what we got.

* HE looking like the face eaten guy from Hannibal was delightful and they really let those shots linger. Oddly less repulsive than what he did to the animals.

* StarLord definitely should have been hosed up looking at the end. Was Gunn just making fun of Pratt being Sexy Starguy with that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
This movie was trash even by MCU standards. I turned it off after the Mantis Girl had some completely unmotivated rant about Chris Pratt's uncle or something that I'm sure will pay off in hour three. These movies are straight up written for babies at this point. And like Pratt had Zoey Saldana had such great chemistry before, I really care about that relationship, lol.