Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

drat, they actually go into a lot more detail for what can be assumed is the non canon ending. It also gives an explanation to the little bit in Jimmer's profile where it says his face is like a creepy mask. Guess he changed his identity one too many times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Yeah, I'm honestly surprised by all this extra character development we're getting for the villains all of a sudden. It's both pretty neat by the developers to expand them but also annoying that it's locked away behind such an non-obvious path to take. Also it seems the Self-Binder technology has way more prominence this time around than with just Ares and Myona.

I'm not exactly sure how a single elite steals a couple dozen giant robots but I guess the no pilot thing helps out.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Dammit Cage! It's Ned! The rear end in a top hat is a brain in a jar and he's still pulling the same poo poo! Stop helping everyone, its what got you here in the first place.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

SSNeoman posted:

Dammit Cage! It's Ned! The rear end in a top hat is a brain in a jar and he's still pulling the same poo poo! Stop helping everyone, its what got you here in the first place.

I kinda read into this as him feeling regret for having "killed" Ned in the first place. That being said, it's Ned, a dude whose introduction was him letting his men have fun with the nursing staff at a hospital.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
How many times do any of these assholes have to die to ACTUALLY die? Even cutscene death isn't enough to kill them!

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

TARDISman posted:

drat, they actually go into a lot more detail for what can be assumed is the non canon ending. It also gives an explanation to the little bit in Jimmer's profile where it says his face is like a creepy mask. Guess he changed his identity one too many times.

There's actually quite a bit more that gets revealed in this route. It's worth playing through both so you get a better picture of what's going on.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I love seeing that "You got DoubleAction" ending screen, no matter what route I'm on. :getin:

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Chapter Twenty Two: Violated Wishes

Music: Intermission

Welcome back. Last time we finally got rid of Ned, and afterwards witnessed a showdown between Zephyrs, Jimmer and Bolozof which resulted in the former being shot and left to die. However, not checking the body may have been a grave error on Jimmer’s part.

On the BIS side, Razma seems to have a plan in mind that’ll help to track down the missing children, so without further ado let’s dive straight in.

Music: Every Day

: We’ll work your fingers to the bone later, trust me. Until then, leave it to us.

: Hey Razma, I’m done with the antenna adjustments.

: Hey, nice! You really come through at times like this.

: Heh heh. Just kidding. We all count on you all the time. You’re always calm and knowledgeable.

: That might be taking it too far. But anyway, I’ve always done what I want, however I want.

: Hey, that’s the best way. There are tons of people in the world who haven’t figured out what they want to do.

:…am I going to do? I wonder if things will ever be as they were…together with Ares…)

: Stop worrying so much, son.

: No, er…I wasn’t…

: In my case I happened to grow up in and around the TV Station. Because of that, I was exposed to the world of grown-ups, their thoughts and their works, and that encouraged me to pursue my own hobbies and interests.

:…was so inevitable, I even regret parts of it. But as my father says, ‘One cannot truly hope for complete happiness’.

: What? But Mr. Yukito, you have done so well…

: Everyone has their dilemmas. For you, they are still in the future. After all, we are all free.

: Free?

: Ready anytime.

: Okay you two. Will you explain everything to us now?

: Yeah. You been working silently as if you were in a hurry, but you done now, right?

:…we are hacking into Earth’s surveillance satellites to figure out where they are.

: Whuh?!

: That’s actually possible?

:…board. It is a powerful model that has since been banned by the government. With this tool it is possible, although we do no have much time.

Uh…wasn’t this meant to be a civilian transport ship? Why does it have military grade communications equipment? I guess Twede and Robin could have had it installed later, but from the conversation it sounds like it came pre-installed.

: This just goes to show that old is not necessarily bad. And how much time do we have?

: That’s it?! How we gonna find anything in that time?

: Exactly. Not even the military are able to find them. I think that we know the outcome of this before we even try. I cannot agree to putting ourselves at risk, and making waste of what Mr. Deckson worked his whole life to achieve!

Wow, that’s a pretty big statement coming from Phil. He’s really shown some development in this route. It’s hard to imagine the Phil from the first half of the game asserting himself like this.

: Of course.

: Heh heh heh…actually, there’s one of these on Jojo and the other’s shoes.

: That’s…your prized tracer!

: But if we had an ‘eye’ that could see a large area for us, we would be able to trace it in a split second.

: Razma…you…

: Heh heh. Impressed?

Semyl slaps Razma all of a sudden!

: You sicko! It’s one thing to go chasin’ skirts, but I can’t believe you’d do that to…to children! And even family!!

: Hunh?!

: R…really? Mr. Razma, I must say that I am deeply disappointed and disgusted in you as a human being!

: Er…um…I think he was just trying to be prepared for something like this, because of what happened last time.

: Last time…what, with Bolozof and the explosion?

: Mmm-hmm.

: Of course.

: Hee hee…For you, that’s a very intuitive motive.

: Oh, give me a break. It wasn’t even my idea. It was the boss’.

: Deckson’s idea?

:…’If there is something you need to protect, protect it with all you have.’

: Deckson would say something like that.

: Razma…I’m sorry…I was wrong…

: Mr. Razma! I am so touched! I respect you so much as a human being!

: You know Phil…

I like to think Phil is actually making fun of Razma here.

: Good luck!

: (Now we’ll find out where you really are. Wait for me, Myona.)

Unfortunately, before that can happen fate intervenes.

Music: Tension

: What happened?

: It’s an enemy! And it’s headed this way!

: They’ve caught us completely off-guard. The camouflage should be up…

: Take care of the satellite stuff.

: Leave it to me.

This should read ‘Violated Wishes’.

Music: Black Ops

:…me. It’s like an enormous coffin.

: Heh heh. I suppose the answer would be BAHRAM. Does that answer your question?

: What?! Then you are…?!

: Oh my. Look who it is…Heh heh heh. Well. Somebody who understands the trials and tribulations of those at the top. What do you think? Should we take this opportunity to talk business?

: You should know better than to become emotional. That will only allow your opponent to control you.

:…Did BAHRAM really put you up to this? If not, order your group to disband at once…

: This situation is not something I planned for. You are partly to blame for this…after all, you did not frame Zephyrs as you should have. On top of it all, Vale…or as you people would call him, Ares…At any rate, had he not gotten so confused, things would have progressed much more smoothly.

Yeah, we know exactly what would have happened if we had been successful…

: Such a terrible accusation. They acted freely and of their own accord. I merely helped them along.

: What’s that supposed to mean?!

: Ten years ago, a ship crash landed on Mars due to a manoeuvring error, killing everyone on board. Officially there were no survivors, and the case was dismissed as a common accident. But in reality it was anything but. It was a contact accident which occurred as a result of a weapons test conducted by a military scientist from Earth.

: And that scientist was…

:…incident, a brother and a sister. Zephyrs took them both and used them in his experiments. The siblings grew up and began to plot revenge against him.

: Siblings? You’re not saying…

: Ares and Myona…

: What?!

: Pharsti…Shatner?

: The same name as our Pharsti…this can’t be a coincidence.

:…Ares and Myona.

: Ares and Myona…are brother and sister?

We already knew quite a lot of what Jimmer is telling us from the previous route, but the information regarding exactly how Ares and Myona came to be part of Zephyrs’ experiment is only revealed here. It clears up a few points such as why Ares holds Zephyrs responsible for the deaths of his parents.

: You got rid of him…

: Eliminating the root of evil is a fundament of good business, after all. His ‘Animus’ series is actually quite well-made for an Earth project. In fact, it could have been used against our interests in the future…so we needed to eradicate that risk.

:…down the Animus series before it was too late. Now I have gotten everything I wanted. All that’s left is the frosting on the cake. Heh heh…my plan worked out perfectly. It’s almost frightening how flawless it was.

The Self-Binder chime sounds.

: (What’s that sound?)

No sooner does Cage think about it than Bolozof suddenly appears!

:…killed meandering around like that.

: Bolozof!! How did you know where to find us?!

: Heh heh. Cage! Wherever you go, I am always watching…and hearing the collective screams of the Animus!

The chime sounds again.

: The lamb can never outrun the wolf. Prepare yourself!

: We have begun our intrusion into the satellite network. Please hold the fort until we are able to clear all of the security firewalls – we need another 176 seconds.

: That’s about 3 minutes…okay!

: Prevent the enemy from drawing too close!

: Right-o! I’ll give it my all!!

:…Cage, I…

: Pharsti. You are you, and nobody else. For now, we need to guard Saoshyant and find where they all are!

: Heh heh. I’m in the way, it seems. I shall watch from afar…

Jimmer withdraws and the mission begins in earnest.

Mission Map:

Player Phase Music: Offense and Defence
Enemy Phase Music: Impact

This is a pretty fun mission even if it does involve babysitting the Saoshyant again. The enemy is fairly spread out but dividing your forces to deal with them all at once carries more risk than it did before. The enemy squads activate sequentially, or when you choose to attack them, so staying put and weathering the storm is probably the best option. Bolozof is hanging out in the south western corner with a group of Ifrits, but luckily he doesn’t move for the first few turns. You’ll also notice that Vjaya is absent, which leaves a nasty gap in our defensive line.

I do nothing for the first turn and let the enemy come to me. The two northern Raptors are the only units that move; all the other enemies remain where they are.

Mebius and Cage bring one of them down.

Thanks to Double Action Cage attacks the second Raptor as well, with Warren delivering the finishing blow.

On the next turn most of the enemy units begin to move towards our position, although Bolozof and the Mummy Heads remain where they are. We also get a brief scene.

: We held them off somehow…now…

:…

: What happened? We’re almost in, right?

: Unfortunately we have failed. The password was changed just moments before login.

:…No.

: But you’re not going to give up, are you?

: It’s no use. Since this password doesn’t work we would have to try an infinite number of combinations to attempt to hack into the system.

: Dana, be realistic.

: I’m not ‘Dana’ anymore. How many times do I have to tell you that? Move. I’ll do it.

: H-hey!

: Start collecting data on prominent UNSF technicians. Nobody beneath at least supervisor rank. And go get my bag. Come on! Hurry!

: Everyone! Can you hear me? There’s been a complication! Give me 3 more minutes and I’ll make it work somehow!

: O-okay!

: What could you possibly do in that time?

:…users. Watch and learn.

Control is returned to us at this point. Our group is currently being menaced by four Cyclopses, two to the south and two offscreen to the north. The northern ones will take another turn to arrive, so I can focus on taking out the southern ones right now.

Yukito scores a lucky critical hit which allows Phil to take the first Cyclops out.

Cage hauls rear end down to the second Cyclops with the help of Double Action. Razma nails it between the eyes right after.

On the AI’s turn every enemy starts moving towards the Saoshyant, including Bolozof. The enemy has apparently decided it’s time to step things up a notch.

Phil, Razma and Yukito team up to take out the southern Mummy Head.

Cage and Warren destroy one of the northern Cyclopses.

Mebius damages the other, but unfortunately Semyl doesn’t have the range or movement to finish it off.

All of the enemies move up and the Ifrits are now dangerously close to the Saoshyant. It’s time to destroy all the northern enemies so I can reroute some units down to the south.

Semyl takes out the wounded Cyclops from last turn.

Cage and Warren kill the first Mummy Head in the north.

Thanks to Double Action he can also help Mebius take out the other Mummy Head.

Meanwhile in the south Yukito takes off half an Ifrit’s HP. Unfortunately no one else can help him.

On the enemy turn the Ifrits attack, though only Razma and Phil take hits. Hilariously Phil tanks it far better than Razma does. I should probably upgrade the latter’s armour. At the end of the turn we get a scene.

: The password is…’Jonathan’? I wonder if they took it out of a favourite novel…or perhaps it is the name of a pet bird?

:…How on earth did you do that?

: Humans will favour certain things depending on their age, sex and environment. That could be a lover, a car, a pet…These things are governed by trends. I based the search on that data, and found some patterns. Nothing complicated.

I’d like to laugh at this but it happens far too often in real life.

: What are you talking about? If it wasn’t for you we wouldn’t have gotten this far to begin with. My data provided the last kick. This is our victory. Or do you not want to share?

: No, not at all. Very well done, Robin.

: Thank you!

The Saoshyant retreats.

: Okay, now we just have to finish these guys! Ready?!

: Whenever you are!

Nadia appears to the west.

: Nadia?!

: This time I will not let you go!

: Do we really have to fight?

Fortunately since we no longer need to defend anything there’s no longer any reason to hold back or stay in a rigid formation.

Yukito finishes off the Ifrit he damaged last turn.

Mebius, Phil and Semyl focus their fire and kill another.

Razma and Cage take out a third.

Unfortunately doing so leaves the injured Razma vulnerable to the other Ifrit, which promptly demolishes him.

Thankfully he’s the only casualty, and Double Action means we can murder the approaching Bolozof in a single turn.

Doing so nets us another scene.

:…tell me these fools have gotten stronger…It’s not possible! I refuse to believe it!

: I became stronger so I could protect everyone! I’m different from someone like you, who became strong only for himself. That’s the difference!

Before Bolozof can run off with his tail between his legs as usual, Jimmer shows up again.

:…cretins – you, Vale, Zephyrs…? Ah, well. It can’t be helped. Bolozof! Come here!

: What?! Who do you think you are?! And who do you think you’re talking to?!

The Self-Binder chime rings yet again!

Bolozof’s Grafficane flies over to Jimmer!

:…too?!

: Heh heh…Good answer! It WAS quite obvious, but even so. You are suffering from overexposure to raw Metatron from test-piloting the Bizac and Iblis prototypes, with their unstable systems. Just like that Radam Levans…

This demands some explanation. ‘Radam Levans’ is actually a mistranslation of Radium Lavans, the protagonist of the OVA ‘Zone of the Enders: 2167 IDOLO’. He also appears in the TV Anime ‘Zone of the Enders: Dolores, i’. Radium was a member of BAHRAM and the pilot of the first ever Orbital Frame, Idolo. Without revealing too much of the plots of either anime, as Radium continues to pilot Idolo he becomes increasingly unhinged and violent, eventually losing his grip on reality completely. This change is eventually revealed to be a result of overexposure to the unshielded Metatron laced throughout the Frame.

In Bolozof’s case, his exposure to Metatron makes him vulnerable to the influence of the Self-Binder, which is ironic as hell since he never seems to have considered the possibility that what he did to Nadia could be done to him in turn.

: Heh heh heh…I can control you easily just by pressing the button lightly. Like this…

Bolozof proceeds to repair and power up.

: There has been a change in the enemy frame…I feel an abnormally strong energy…

:…You are such a comic character! I thoroughly enjoyed it.)

:…Jimmer, which one…do I destroy? Give…me…y-your…command…

: And another wonderful pawn is born! Now, Bolozof, destroy all of them! Every single one!

: You used the Self-Binder on him too?! Do you have no respect for humans?!

: The weak lose. It’s a very simple concept. Heh heh heh…My era is about to dawn…And soon those who dropped me to the status I am at now will regret what they did.

: Oh God…are you going to betray BAHRAM using Zephyrs’ experiments?

: Heh heh heh…I am busy. I shall leave the rest to him and tend to my duties. Good day, everyone.

Jimmer retreats.

: He ran away?

He sure did. Bolozof is now to the north, and it’ll take him a while to get to where we are.

His eyes are red in his status screen portrait, too. Funnily enough he’s also forty points below Nadia in his Battle and Shoot stats despite being four levels higher than her.

Mebius, Semyl and Yukito destroy the final NPC Ifrit, leaving just Nadia and Bolozof behind.

The AI can’t shoot anything so it simply advances. In Nadia’s case, right into our guns. If Cage attacks her a short scene plays.

: There is no meaning in a dead person…Deckson or Fraser!

: But don’t you care what happens to you?! What is the reason for us fighting, then?!

: I am Bolozof’s hands and feet. As long as he is alive, so too will I live!

Semyl strikes the finishing blow, taking Nadia down for good.

: Nadia! Escape!!

: The…ejection device has been removed from this Frame. I was able to serve…Bolozof until the…very end. Farewell. UGGGHHH!!!

:smith:

: Nadiaaaaa!! Dammit, if only I had been more careful…!

: No, Cage. It is sad, but she chose this ending for herself. She gave her life…for the one she loved.

:…It was her choice…

Anyway, it’s about time to wrap things up.

It doesn’t matter how much you power up if your opponent is getting six attacks to your one, Bolozof.

Cage and Semyl combine their firepower once again and take Bolozof down.

: Jiiiiimmerrrrr!!! How could…you…do…this…to…me…To me!! I’ll make…you…re…gret…this…!! Aaaaaaagggghhhhh!!!

: That’s all of them…They were a tough enemy to beat, but we came out of it alive.

: Information as to Miss Myona and everyone else’s whereabouts should be available. Let us hurry back!

: Yeah…

BIS retreat and the screen fades out. But after they’ve gone…

:…hee…

Hmm! An individual who is most definitely not Amante was observing the battle. Unlike the previous route she’s been keeping a very low profile. What is she up to? We’ll find out in due time…

:…member?

: Seems like it…but he didn’t appear to be following direct orders from BAHRAM either.

: There’s something else that bothers me. Something about Myona’s real name being ‘Pharsti’.

:…have asked him directly…

: He said they took care of him…or something like that. And he got busted out of the military too ‘cuz there was some trouble, right?

: In any case, we’ll have to go out there. No matter who or what she and Testament are, at the very least, they’re one of us now.

: The results are in! The location is…

: Explain on the way! There’s no time to waste, and I’m worried about Myona and the children. Let’s go now! Twede!

: The flight path has been set, Cap’n Robin.

: ‘Cap’n’ makes it sound as if I have a peg-leg! Say ‘Captain’!

: Hunh? Uh…Roger, Captain.

: (Though I never said it didn’t take effort…)

The scene fades out, and when it comes back we’re in the hangar with Cage and Pharsti.

:…Miss Myona?

: Yes.

:…Cage, are you not curious? Why Miss Myona and I have the same name, ‘Pharsti’?

:…No.

: Pharsti, you have always been there to help me out whenever I needed it.

:…That is my job.

: Cage…why? If you are placed in danger because of it, it would render meaningless everything I have stood for.

: I have fought against many people…and destroyed them. We have been sharing these crimes, and these days, with each other all this time.

: Cage…I am a computer. Besides, I was designed to utilize humans as a weapon, just like the Ifrits…

: Hee hee…sometimes you say things so confidently even when you have no proof. At times it makes me question the validity of my thoughts. But now that makes me feel better. It is very strange…

: We’re the best partners that ever were!

: I agree. Cage, let us remain partners from this point on.

The screen fades out and the mission ends.

Well, that’s that. Nadia and Bolozof are out of the running and our heroes are on track to rescue Myona and the children from Marleblanke Dite. The hook about Zephyrs’ survival has yet to be addressed, however, and we still have one more mission before the final one…

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Vale and Pharsti SHATNER.

How the hell did I miss that from the other route?

Fuckin Vale and Pharsti SHATNER. Good god my sides can't stop hurting.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
It's hard to decide which route ends up being more hammy, this one or the previous one. I really like how this game makes one small decision have massive effects - it's a crying shame that most people won't see this side of the story!

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
Does anything interesting happen if you kill Bolozof first?

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
No, sadly. Since we didn't perform the necessary steps to recruit Nadia she'll always die in this scenario no matter what.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Hot poo poo, I wasn't expecting a reference to Idolo in here. Funny thing is if memory serves, he's only called Radium in the anime, I don't think he's called that in ZOE1.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I'm surprised at how much we're learning here. This route really expands on the plot. Honestly I think some of this should have been in the main route, what with all the backstories and developments about Bahram we're hearing.
Jimmer's supposedly splintered from Bahram and just going on a rampage for revenge but really, he's more or less doing the same things they do in ZoE2. That is, wrecking Mars and anyone on it.
Also wow, killing characters in cold blood now. Well not really, but I didn't expect them to die so suddenly.

TARDISman posted:

Hot poo poo, I wasn't expecting a reference to Idolo in here. Funny thing is if memory serves, he's only called Radium in the anime, I don't think he's called that in ZOE1.

Yeah, Radium is supposed to be the "correct" name but almost everything related to the series uses some variation of Rahdam or Radam.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Vale and Pharsti SHATNER.

How the hell did I miss that from the other route?

Fuckin Vale and Pharsti SHATNER. Good god my sides can't stop hurting.

Am I missing a joke here or is it just about how incredibly silly that that last name would pop up in a mecha SRPG?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Remind me again what happened to Jimmer in the other route? For some reason I think Ares killed him, which makes his little opening statement kind of funny.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

Glazius posted:

Remind me again what happened to Jimmer in the other route? For some reason I think Ares killed him, which makes his little opening statement kind of funny.

Nope, he was hiding out at the end, almost made it through alive. IIRC, after the battle he tried to escape but Amante (or whatever her name is) sabatogued him and so he died in the bombardment/explosion.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

What happens if you make a mad dash to Jimmer and try to attack him?

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
You can't, he pulls the 'Villain retreats before the end of the cutscene' trick both times.

mkwong98
Feb 8, 2013

Scintilla posted:

:…users. Watch and learn.

I suspect this is what the game developer thinks too.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

mkwong98 posted:

I suspect this is what the game developer thinks too.

If not then, then certainly now in this age of updates and patches.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
This LP is not dead. In fact, I just finished the next update! Unfortunately I won't be able to upload it until tomorrow, but rest assured that I intend to finish this thing come hell or high water.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

You beat Highfort.
We know you can do it :colbert:.

But, for reals, you can take your time.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Chapter Twenty Three: God Save Us!

Welcome back. Apologies for the lengthy wait, it's a combination of being at that stage in life where you're trying to find a job and finish educational work at the same time, flagging motivation and this update just being really drat long.

Last time we defeated Bolozof yet again, this time after he was mindjacked by Jimmer via the Self-Binder. Sadly the battle also resulted in the death of Nadia, but with the location of Jimmer’s base now in BIS’s hands there’s no time to waste on moping around. Speaking of Jimmer, the very first scene in this chapter features him…

Music: Mystery

: Bolozof…I expected you to be much more useful, but you have only bought me a little time…Heh heh heh. I suppose it is not all that surprising. Now, I must take care of business before the BAHRAM geriatrics club starts moving…

A door hisses open and Most Definitely Not Amante steps in.

: What did you think you were doing?

: Are you able to become a totally different person just by changing your name and face? Who cares that you were born on Earth – doesn’t that make you ‘nobility’ here on Mars? Why would you try to hide that?

: Aha, it was you…When I asked you to sneak into Acemos as a spy, I did so in order to manipulate Zephyrs as I saw fit. It was not so you could fill his head with unnecessary information.

Aha, so that’s where Zephyrs got his information on Jimmer from. Interesting. Of course, we already know that Amante is actually a triple agent thanks to what was revealed in the previous route.

:…don’t you?

: I knew it. That’s why you didn’t make it. Ridley was chosen because…

:…has only soaked up the good graces of his parent’s fortune!

: *Sigh* There’s no hope for you. That’s why you could never excel…Because you can’t recognise the value in other people. And now, you’re nothing but a common traitor…

Amante produces a gun and shoots Jimmer!

: You should have just run off and lived out the rest of your days peacefully…This is what happens when you insist on harbouring the kind of ambition your means cannot handle, Mr. Aegis.

: Your role in all of this is now officially over. This place will be ash soon…and your suffering and worries will all be gone…Sweet dreams, Ani Aegis.

Well now! That was an interesting scene. It revealed a great deal about Jimmer that was only implied before, and some that we straight up didn’t know, like the fact that he’s actually an Earthling. This, despite being a member of BAHRAM, with its distinctly anti-Earthling sentiments. Perhaps he had Martian parents? His character file doesn’t say so it’s impossible to tell. Either way it seems that he was once in the running to become the overall leader of BAHRAM, but his heritage meant that Ridley got the job instead. This led to Jimmer attempting to assassinate Ridley, and when that failed he ran off and began plotting his revenge in secret.

In a way he’s actually quite similar to Zephyrs. Both harbour an intense dislike for one of their contemporaries, both are fairly smart but fall into the trap of thinking they’re cleverer than they really are and both have massive issues with hypocrisy. Pretty much every character in the game is a hypocrite to one degree or another, to the extent that I’m beginning to think it might be one of the game’s themes, but Jimmer, Zephyrs and Bolozof are probably the worst offenders.

: Over in the northern Hellespontos mountain range…right about there.

: It’s very close to where Miss Myona left Testament. I wonder if she was headed there to begin with?

: I doubt she knew Jimmer and company were hiding there. She was probably planning to die in the mountains.

: Yes. On the other hand, it makes me think that something must be hidden there.

: My kids…

: Yeah. And Ares and Myona.

: Yes. That’s what she said.

: What if she refuses to come back with us? What then?

: If that happens…

:…suffering right now, I want to have my chance at trying to save her.

: Hmm. I thought you would say something like that.

: Excuse me, but you two are being too soft about this.

: If you think that you’re a man, go and grab her. She was frightened! That was why she left in the first place. When a guy says that it was ‘her will’, thinking that it makes him seem more understanding of women, he’s just a wuss making excuses!

: You’re a man, aren’t you?! If you like her, you owe her at least a ‘You have to keep living’! If you don’t say it, how do you think she’s going to know?

: (A…wuss…?)

: Cage, if she didn’t care for you she wouldn’t have come out here…that much I can say for sure.

: Every person in the world, somewhere in their heart, is hoping to meet that special someone. You can either wait patiently, or seek that person out yourself.

:…Thank you.

: (Somewhere in their heart…No! Stop, Warren! It has nothing to do with you! Nothing whatsoever…)

: No, stupid! Of course I didn’t put one on you. Why would I do that when…

: (Oh…guess he don’t really care ‘bout me after all…)

: I’m always going to be by your side anyway?

:unsmith:

: Pinhead! It’s your fault for not listening! I’m not saying it again!

: Why not? Come on, just one more time!

: Take responsibility for your own actions!

: I heard it loud and clear! Please always be with the rest of us, too!

:…Huh?

: What?

: Oh, thank you so much for the compliment!

: It wasn’t a compliment!

Yeah, Phil is definitely messing with him. :allears:

The communicator beeps.

: What? A communication?

: No, just a data forward. It looks like a communications log…Good lord!! It’s…!

: What is it?

:…by a ballistic missile.

: A ballistic missile?!

: Which makes their target…

As in the previous route the UNSF decides to cut their losses and just nuke the poo poo out of Jimmer’s base.

: What the…?! Why? Did we get busted with the hacking?

: Oh no…Myona and the abducted children are in danger! We must hurry!

But before anyone can react, the perimeter alarm goes off.

: Th-there’s something at twelve o’clock! It’s a gargantuan Frame of some sort!

: If they think we’re going to let them rain on our parade, they’re dead wrong! Come on, Cage!

This should read ‘God Save Us!’.

Well, well, well. Look who it is.

: It looks similar, but it’s definitely been fortified further. Be careful.

: Everyone! You already know this, but there really isn’t much time. Try to make it quick!

: A difficult request, as always.

The Saoshyant retreats.

:…Okay, then. I don’t know who the runner is, but we know it’s not Ned. Even if it’s new and improved, we should still be able to defeat it more easily than last time. Let’s get them once and for all!

: That voice! Could it be?!

: You Enders have been a real thorn in my side. But now it is finally my chance to put an end to all of you.

: Zephyrs?!

:…depending on how you look at it. Now I have obtained my very own army…made up of soldiers who obey my every command. Behold my military!

Eight Ifrits suddenly appear!

: They’re all Ifrits.

: Razma…what’s the deal with the tracer…?

: Huh? Why are you asking me now?

: H-hey, there’s no need to get all…! Hey…the Ifrit…

: Kids…

:…Self-Binder system, but it seems they are useful in another respect, judging from your faces. An added bonus, heh heh.

: You scum! I won’t stand for it!

: You won’t stand for it? Hah! I need nobody’s approval! The world’s most brilliant human mind does not need encouragement or permission! Go, Ifrits!

:…Acknowledged.

:…Acknowledged.

: *Cackle* The other children have already left for the Nests! The events which are about to ensue in Hellespontos will keep my name alive on Mars forever! Hah hah hah!!

: Cage, there is no time. Let us attack the Frames that those three are on without causing them to explode, then disable them.

: How do we attack so they don’t explode?

: The Ifrit’s design is just like Testament’s. The placement of the internal systems should be the same. I can show everyone where the wiring of the Self-Binder system is installed…If everyone can get as close as possible and plan their attacks carefully, we should be able to save them!

:…become sane again? It’s dangerous…but I guess it’s our best shot. Okay! Let’s try it!

: Please be careful…If you attack from too far away, there is the risk of inadvertently damaging the reactor. All attacks must be executed from close range!

In other words, melee attacks only. The game also gives us control here.

Mission Map:

Player Phase Music: Sudden Assault
Enemy Phase Music: Atrocity

So, looks like we’re up against Zephyrs again. He appears to have outlasted pretty much every other villain at this point, but that’s pretty much entirely down to luck. He’s brought eight Ifrits, six Raptors and two Nerokerubinas with him, and unlike the previous mission all of the enemies will advance together on the AI’s turn.

Although three of the Ifrits have children on board, the other five are all unmanned and are actually better pilots despite Zephyrs’ claims.

Zephyrs himself is riding an upgraded HarutMarut. The Harut2 has 200 more Shell and 5,000 more HP than the old version, and its weapons have also received a damage buff. He can also still fire even after moving, so staying at range isn’t really an option.

Anyway, the Ifrits are the closest threat, so let’s deal with them first.

They cluster up, which makes them look more threatening than they are since the ones with the children in them will retreat after we rescue them. Those ones are the three in the middle so it’s a good idea to chew through the first two Unmanned ones before attempting a rescue.

Yukito and Mebius score our first kill.

Cage then takes out a second with a little help from Double Action. Now we can rescue all three children in one turn thanks to Warren and Vjaya.

: What…? What…was…I…doing…until now?

: We have succeeded in saving her.

: Good…

The Ifrit disappears. Now all that’s left is to rescue the other two, which Vjaya can do easily thanks to Double Action.

:…Huh? It’s…wobbly…

: We have succeeded in saving him.

: Good…

And now finally for the blonde kid.

:…Oh…God…

: We have succeeded in saving him.

: Okay, good.

And with that, eight Ifrits suddenly become a much, much more manageable three.

Of course, even three of them can do some damage. One manages to take off half of Warren’s HP in a single attack. At 75% accuracy it’s extremely hard to take these guys on without using IBS.

With IBS it’s pretty much a cakewalk unless you get careless.

Yukito, Semyl and Phil demonstrate this by taking out one of them.

Cage, Twede and Warren follow up by beating down the second-last Ifrit.

Unfortunately Cage and Twede can’t finish off the final Ifrit because nobody else is in range to deal a finishing blow.

Warren narrowly avoids being taken out by it on the AI’s turn.

It doesn’t last long once our turn comes again.

The oncoming Raptors target Semyl first, but since I fully upgraded her HP and Shell she easily shrugs it off.

Zephyrs and his Neros are also closing in, but that’s not too much of a problem since we’ll be able to inflict massive amounts of damage on the Raptors before he gets in range.

Twede, Razma and Twede again take down the first.

Semyl and Mebius kill the second.

The third falls thanks to Phil and Warren’s efforts.

Cage and Yukito take out the fourth.

I love Double Action.

Warren and Cage take hits from the remaining Raptors, and Zephyrs keeps on trundling forwards.

Twede finishes off the injured Raptor whilst Phil repairs Warren.

Meanwhile Razma scores a lucky critical which lets Semyl swoop in for the killing blow against the other Raptor. Now that both Raptors are dead it’s time to start on the Neros.

Ugh, these guys are still enormous piles of HP.

Enormous piles of HP with equally enormous attack power.

Also, the first time Zephyrs attacks someone we get a scene.

: Previously it was used as Ned’s overall defence mechanism, but he had emotional and mental problems that interfered with the system. But this time it’s different. I have obtained the perfect specimen…One that listens to every word I say, and fits the necessary criteria in every way!

: Oh, no…

Dun dun duuuun!!! It’s Ares!

: At the moment he is but a puppet who will answer only to me. Well, I don’t even know if I should refer to him as ‘he’ at all. In truth, he is just another part of HarutMarut.

: Come now. He already died once. I have given him another life in the name of science!

He finally said it! :science: SCIENCE!! :science:

: What I do with a corpse is my own business! He was destined to end up this way.

: Ares!

: (It’s useless…he’s not responding to my voice at all! What am I supposed to do?!)

So, Ares is onboard the HarutMarut. I can’t possibly see any way that that’s going to backfire on Zephyrs at all.

Also Twede is a fire magnet this turn. He escapes the final shot and we thus return to your regularly scheduled Nerokerubina beatdown.

After an eternity the drat thing finally explodes. The 3,000 cash is worth it though because this is the last chance we’ll have to earn money on this playthrough.

Shouldn’t be much longer now.

Twede does better this turn and evades both of the attacks made against him.

After taking an incredible beating the other Nero falls. Now it’s just Zephyrs left.

Once a certain threshold of damage is reached a scene occurs.

:…gone wrong?!

: This…is…your finale. You will die…along with me…

: What did you say?! Is this your doing?! There is no way that your own will could have survived! Why?!

:…Zephyrs. It…is…that…simple…

: You little…!! No! You couldn’t have been planning this from the very beginning?!

: I don’t know what’s going on, but this is our chance! Come on, Pharsti!

Despite what it sounds like this scene has no in-game consequences. Zephyrs will continue trying to murder us until we take him down.

Zephyrs manages to hang on with just a sliver of HP left.

By this point however he’s out of ammo for Wisp Meteor, forcing him to rely on the less accurate Flame Bullet attack.

He bites the dust almost immediately afterwards.

:…produce these results…Brilliant! Utilizing Metatron, humans can be elevated to a whole new level of being. This is exactly what I have been searching for…Angel’s wings that will take me to paradise!!

The rest of the scene is nearly identical to Zephyrs’ death scene in Mission 22 of the original playthrough.

: What you've been searching for? And you made Myona and Ares suffer for that?! No, that's not all. Nameless children too, just for your whim...That's not what angel wings will do! That is pure evil!

: Not much difference really, between angels and the forces of evil.

: Ah, you are so simple. To me, God is cruel and unsympathetic being...Death began to take many forms once humans were given tools. And now, with the advent of Metatron, a new battle is about to unfold...But even this new struggle is paving the way for human advancement and betterment.

: Are you saying that it's God's will? And that He created Metatron for that purpose?

: Once you get past all the personal feelings, it becomes clear that the things that are useful to the general populace as a whole survive...And those that aren't, don't. If that is not how nature works, how is it that humans have survived until now? Why is it that evil happens? Because it is God's will!

: Time will tell. Regardless of what you say, the one who is left standing in the end is the one who is correct. That's just the way it is, always...

The HarutMarut begins to explode.

: Heh heh heh…I…wanted to get closer to that genius…better, and brighter…than anyone else…heh heh heh heh…

: Oh…yes…I knew…knew you would be! Ha ha hah!! Hardiman…now you see…I…win…

And that’s the end of Zephyrs. For good this time.

: Zephyrs…

: Cage, look!

Ifrits spawn in all four corners of the map.

The Ifrits all gather around the spot where Zephyrs went down…

Then they vanish, and the HarutMarut reappears!

: HarutMarut has…bounced back? It used its Metatron reserves? But how is that possible…

: A…Ares?

: Zephyrs is dead…But this HarutMarut contains the remote control system for all Ifrits. I can use this to manipulate the Ifrits and order them to invade Mars…

: But…why?!

:…my revenge is not yet complete. The Martians are just as responsible for all of this, because they let Earth intimidate them into silence.

: No! Revenge won’t do any good! And besides…

: And that’s not all, either!! The children who were used in those experiments…they are victims too. They were given up by their parents, who were more concerned about their own personal gains.

:…always shifting the blame onto someone else. They refuse to acknowledge their own faults and expect the rest of the world to take responsibility. Those children who were part of the experiments never knew what it was like to be loved…and I have an obligation to avenge their lost, despairing souls!! I will let their anger be known throughout the world! I will strike a blow against it on their behalf!

: Ares…

: The HarutMarut is almost ready to attack.

Music: Offence and Defence

The final stage of the map is a rematch against the HarutMarut, reanimated after absorbing the Metatron within the Ifrits and piloted by Ares. Unfortunately the vast majority of our units are out of range, with only Cage and Twede capable of inflicting damage this turn.

Fortunately, Cage scores critical hits with both of his attacks. The damage is enough to trigger a further scene.

: We have to go and save her…

: Pharsti saving you was the first mistake we made. If you are going to be angry about anything it should be that. Had that not happened, I would not have had to use you like I did. That day…was the start of everything!

: So I became part of that plan…

:…Pharsti decided to save you, a part of her was placed in that Frame. In return, she lost her memories.

: And that…is this Pharsti?

: But they are not exactly one and the same. It’s more like a skilful counterfeit. Are you surprised? There is no way the average human could do something like that. We were only able to do it because Zephyrs’ experiments made us less human. The two Animus Frames…Iblis and Testament…they’re just like us. Two unlucky siblings…

:…difference in the fact that you are important to me!

: Ah. But your other important person feels exactly the same way as I do.

: That’s a lie! Myona would never…

:…that, that is. Heh heh…ha ha ha haaah!!

So Ares is deranged just like before. Even without the Self-Binder, being close to that much Metatron is probably not good for his mental health.

Twede whacks Ares, then Ares whacks him back harder. Absorbing the Ifrits also gave the HarutMarut back the ammunition for Wisp Meteor, which is annoying.

Not that it matters in the end. Ares goes down, with Razma scoring the winning shot.

: Heh heh…you always were an inconvenience to me, causing problems…But you finally helped me out. I appreciate that.

: I helped you out? What is that supposed to mean?

: I wonder if…those kids are safe…

: Heh heh. Finally…now I can…Goodbye, Cage…

: A-Ares! Don’t do it! Pharsti!

: Ares!!

: He is safe. The cockpit block is unharmed. Mr. Ares is still alive…

: Thank goodness. Let’s hurry back!

Cage and the rest of BIS retreat.

Music: Sadness

lpix.org/1134573/Yukito Rage.png[/img]: Is it that bad? I mean, the way he was built into the HarutMarut…

: Yes. I wouldn’t look under that sheet…

: If you want to check, I won’t stop you…But you’ll regret not making Zephyrs suffer more for the rest of your life.

: He’s not going to last much longer, is he?

: Either way, I suppose Ares was aware of the situation…

: To tell the truth, I never really liked the guy. He did do some very bad things, but…I guess deep down he really loved his family…Why did this have to happen to him? Now I just feel bad…

: (Razma…)

The scene fades out. When it returns, we’re in the infirmary with Cage and Ares.

: (Ares…)

: Hm…where…am…I…?

: A-Ares!

Just as a quick aside, this CG picture is why I cut the credits out of the first playthrough. The credits themselves are sprinkled with CG images from the game, and this is one of them. It’s minor spoilers, really, but better safe than sorry.

: Ares, you are so selfish. You worry about things by yourself, and you make decisions by yourself…

: I had no other choice. I couldn’t take my own life, and I couldn’t attack Zephyrs directly. I’ve been…programmed that way. Even worse, when he was cut off and on the verge of death, I was forced to save his life. I really had no other choice.

: Then why do you have to go and die too?!

:…the Bonaparte. And because of the crimes I committed, many innocent lives have been lost. Death does not release you from responsibility, but I could think of no other way.

: No, it’s never too late! Let’s find a way for you to make up for your sins. I’ll help you!

: Cage…

:…Cage, do you still have that button?

: Yeah, yeah, of course. But more importantly…

:…Would you play that song? Please?

: S…sure.

Music: Promise of Reunion

:…sworn vengeance for his parents, and had no qualms about making other people suffer…and you. Heh heh. Cage, you were always honest…so defenceless and simple that it surprised me. I guess…I was envious of you. You had everything that I had lost. I didn’t have the courage to admit that to myself…because if I did, it would undermine my entire existence. Until now…I was just running away.

: That’s not true! You can do lots of things I’ll never be able to do. I look up to you. Even now, you’re what I aspire to be…So don’t talk about the past anymore!

: Heh. You can make your own decisions now. You don’t…need me…anymore.

: You don’t know the absolute despair of ‘reality’. That means that you have a future. I…I can only live my life bound to the past; it is my destiny. But Pharsti…I mean, Myona…is different. She didn’t know anything…she was just dragged along by her wretched brother. Cage…please save her. Save my sister. And…look after her. That’s my final wish.

: Ares! No! If you weren’t here…

: No, you’re wrong. You can do so much more than you think. Otherwise, how did you get this far? Right? Even if you’re alone, you’re going to get much farther than I ever would. I wouldn’t feel safe entrusting my sister to you if that weren’t the case…*Cough* *Cough*

: Promise me, Cage…take good care of my sister. Look after her…in my absence…

: I-I know. I promise! Don’t say any more…

: Heh…thank you. I guess…it’s…goodbye...this time…

: Ares!

The music and image slowly fade away…

: Hey, Ares…this isn’t funny! Ares…Ares?!

: Ug…ugggg…A…reeees…

: (Ares…I’m happy to have met you, too…really…)

: I’ll keep our promise. Don’t worry. You can go ahead and relax. I’ll take care of everything.

The scene ends here. Unlike the previous route, Ares is not the final boss.

I really like this scene, even though we’ve pretty much heard everything Ares has to say here before. In the other route the fact that Ares was living on borrowed time was never really apparent until the final battle, and even then it was simply an offhand remark about how his medication wasn’t working anymore.

…Unfortunately the next scene is uncharacteristically retarded and I have to wonder just what the writers were thinking when they wrote it. You’ll see what I mean soon enough.

Music: Sadness

: Um…hey. So, how are they doing?

: They’re hangin’ in there. No side effects from their exposure to the devices. Jojo’s still out, but Gilbert’s back to his usual self, sayin’ “How can a real man sleep in this situation?”

:…I see.

: A little while ago, he…

: Oh…that’s sad.

: Yeah. Let’s leave them alone for a little while.

Semyl pinches Razma!

: You don’t look right frowning. If you wanna make ‘em feel better, that ain’t the way to do it.

: True. I really don’t feel like myself right now…

Razma thumps Semyl!

: Thanks, Semyl.

: That’s the way you thank a person?

: Nah, that was for pinching me earlier.

The door to the infirmary opens and Cage steps out.

: Hey. Are you okay?

:…Yes. If I spent too much time grieving, Ares would get mad…

: drat straight! There’s time until the attack! In that case…

And here’s where the retardation begins.

: Whoa, when did you…

: What can’t you have? What are you talking about?

: Huh?! Wh-what?! What’re you…

: Did you not hear me? I said, we are retreating.

: Screw that! How could we agree to that?! Sorry, but I’m going to go right ahead and…

Twede produces a gun and shoots at Razma!

: Oh, you’re going to shoot me now? That’s cute. Go ahead, if you think you can…

Twede shoots at Razma again!

: Razma!!

: You dirty rat!!

:…Please tell us why.

: Don’t attack Twede. We would not make it in time if we went now. There is a larger possibility that all of us would get caught up in the attack. It is our responsibility to keep you safe, now that Deckson is no longer with us…

: Responsibility? Wow, that sure is impressive! But you guys are dead wrong. Boss showed us the meaning of courage by risking his own life to help others. No matter how loud we scream from our safe haven, no one is going to hear us!

:…life is too precious? Come on, Cage, Semyl…

:…There’s no need for that. It IS dangerous, and it may end up killing everyone.

: Cage, how could you…

: Whah? That’s ridiculous!

: Cage. Please do not make me pull the trigger.

: Pharsti, can you hear me?

:…Saoshyant’s communications circuit…

: Let’s go!

: Yes. Preparations have been made. Shall I come and get you?

: I will not allow it!

: Thank you, Mr. Twede. Please tell Ms. Robin that I am going to get Myona, regardless of what happens.

: I’m going too!

: Me too!

:…here.

: Hey!! What’s that?! Why you gotta say it like…

:…I get it. Go. Semyl! Grab pops!

Semyl tackles Warren!

: Stop that! Semyl!

:…You are willing to act as a shield to allow him to go?

: Exactly!

Razma tackles Twede!

: I’ve got no plans to die, though. What are you doing, Cage? Go!!

: Razma…thank you!

Cage runs off.

…So yeah, that sure was a scene. Warren and Twede decide, completely out of the blue, to pull out and let Myona die, despite being within striking distance of Marleblanke Dite. Theoretically this is to save their lives…but Twede then freaking shoots at Cage and co. in order to force their compliance. Let me repeat; he shoots a freaking gun inside a cramped hallway where the bullet could easily ricochet and kill one of the people he is supposedly trying to protect! In Warren’s case it’s particularly retarded since he explicitly gave Cage his support right before the mission began.

I have no idea why this scene exists. It’s dumb on every conceivable level and I like to pretend it never happened.

: You two…

: Mebius…

:…You lose. Warren, Twede. Both of you.

Thank god Mebius agrees with me. :v:

: Pops…you thought you could drug us and get away with it? I’m still tingling…

: I thought you were telling us to relax because this is an emotional time…I shudder to think that I was about to be tricked.

: It was only a small amount, but it can’t be passed off as a joke. You’ll pay for this…

: Oh, and Robin was fuming too. I hope you understand that none of us are going to take your side, Twede.

: Uh…

: *Sigh* I feel like I got the short end of the stick.

: If this was what was going to happen I should have made an LEV that comes when I call…huh? What did you just say?

:…I take it back.

: Semyl…exactly how long are you planning on hanging from my neck?

:…Oh.

And with that, the penultimate chapter of this playthrough draws to a close. A lot happened, most notably Jimmer’s death at the hands of Amante. With Zephyrs and Ares also out of the picture, who will our final villain be? Find out next time.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

I really like the portrait for the Ifrit, looks nice and menacing.

Honestly who's even left to be a villain at this point? Apart from Amante I can't think of anyone, and she really doesn't fit the bill of ultimate antagonist.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Probably brainwashed Myona. I'm sure Amante has some plans of her own with her.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
It's too bad they couldn't find a way to make boss enemies more interesting than big sacks of HP. At least they're still messing around with mid-mission conditions to make it interesting though.

And yeah, since this path has pretty much been "Everyone screws everyone over", we're kinda out of villains. At least they got some more fleshing out this time around.
Outside of that dumb gun scene, I really do appreciate all the scenes with the party right now, since they always have nice interactions with each other. And at least Ares got some more concrete closure this time around. We've mentioned this before I think, but despite how anime everything is it's still rather pleasant to read.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
"You simple boy. In the end, the one left standing is right." :stops standing:

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
I have been pleasantly surprised for how well written the game is for what it is. It follows a lot of Anime conventions at times, but it's nothing like Winkysoft's other mecha games which has interested me. I wonder how much of the plot was written by someone else and if so who?

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Chapter Twenty Four: Promised Reunion

Well, here we are; the final mission. Technically there’s also the epilogue chapter but that’s all text. Chapter twenty four is the final gameplay chapter. There really isn’t much to say; Cage is going after Myona no matter what, so let’s jump right in and finish this thing.

: Never better.

: Did you know what I was going to do?

: Based on your behaviour thus far, it seemed the most likely possibility.

: I have said this many times before, but I am just a program. There is no reason to apologize to me. Besides…my personality is a copy of Miss Myona’s…So what you perceive of as being ‘me’ is nothing but an illusion.

: Hey, Pharsti. Do you know what a clone is?

: An identical life-form made by splicing the genes of a living being and allowing an organism with the same biological makeup to proliferate from the original cell…What about it?

:…different personalities and interests, depending on their environment. So you’re you, even if you did start off as a copy of Myona. And besides…

: Besides…?

: Who cares about real or fake? You’re the force that drives me. I can’t go forward without you!

:…Fine. Be that way.

: Hmm? Did you say something?

: No! We do not have time. I am speeding up!

: (Ares, I’ve gotten much stronger…and I’m going to keep going forwards, just like this. I was able to become stronger thanks to meeting everyone. There will be more meetings and more goodbyes, but I won’t let it stop me ever again. Isn’t that the right thing to do, Ares?)

:…Cage, we can see it now.

Once again the final battlefield will be Marleblanke Dite.

: Now it is also the factory for the Ifrits, as well as the central headquarters from which the children were controlled by Miss Myona.

: Yeah. But Zephyrs isn’t around anymore. Hurry, we need to find Myona!

As Cage nears Marleblanke Dite he begins to feel uneasy…

: There is only one Frame that could cause Testament to react so strongly…

: The first Frame that Ares used to sink the Bonaparte…the Black OF!

: It is coming from that direction. I am heading over there!

: Okay. Go ahead, Pharsti!

This should read ‘Promised Reunion’.

: What?! Cage, I am detecting more reactions like the first one!

Three Ifrits appear in front of Testament!

: Ifrits…

: Myona!

: Cage…it’s dangerous. Why are you here?

: Cage…it’s dangerous. Why are you here?

Both voices come from different Ifrits!

: I’m not reading any life signs inside those Ifrits. They must be being controlled remotely…which means Miss Myona must be close by.

: Cage…this place will explode soon thanks to the UNSF. Please…get out of here. You can still…

: Yeah, there’s still enough time, and you’re coming with me. Let’s go home, Myona!

:…to ashes together with this wretched laboratory. That is the only way to redeem myself…

:…Please don’t make me suffer any further.

Music: Reunion Song Ver. B

Remember the Reunion Song from the final mission of the last playthrough? The version that plays in this route is far more sombre and depressing. You should probably listen to it.

: It is dedicated to the children who were used by Zephyrs in his experiments, and it was passed on from child to child. It’s called ‘The Reunion Song’.

: Reunion…Song?

:…for our friends who would never come back. Understand? I don’t deserve to find happiness myself and leave them where they are. The day that I left you…I had already made my decision by then. Cage…I’ll force you out of here if I have to!

Four more Ifrits join the rest!

: Myona! Why do we have to fight?!

:…me!

: Cage, none of those Ifrits are carrying Myona! We should destroy them and force her to come out herself!

: Okay, Pharsti!

The game gives us control here!

Mission Map:

Player Phase Music: Wetworks
Enemy Phase Music: Atrocity

The mission map is exactly the same as the final mission from the previous playthrough, although the units are vastly different. It starts off with just Testament facing down no less than seven Ifrits. Seven Ifrits who will gleefully mob you and stab you to death if you give them half a chance.

…Yeah, if we’re not careful we’ll be the ones on the receiving end of a fatal mob stabbing this time.

Contrary to what Pharsti says, the objective here is simply to survive a set number of turns, which is good because facing down seven Ifrits is an enormous pain even with IBS and Double Action. It might even be the hardest part of the entire game.

I’m going to skip ahead a handful of turns until the plot kicks in. In that time I manage to take out two of the Ifrits whilst taking two hits myself. It sounds like an even exchange, perhaps even favourable, but the Ifrits all have accuracy ratings of 50% or greater and can kill Testament in three hits.

:…my promise to Ares!

An alarm buzzes in Testament’s cockpit!

: No! This is…!

Music: Z.O.E 2173

:…piece of my mind later on!

: You…already gave me…more than just a piece…

The cavalry arrives, deploying right into the enemy ranks in a rather hilarious fashion.

: What are you guys all doing here?

: I told you I’d come with you!

: But…

: Yes, let’s! But…will we have enough time…?

: In the soccer world, they would call this ‘injury time’.

I’m not sure you quite understand how soccer :britain:football:britain: works, Mebius. :v:

:…going home alive!

: Everyone…you did it just for me?

: One for all and all for one, as they say. Don’t worry about it…let’s do it!

The Saoshyant retreats.

Then the dogpiling commences.

Basically; the Ifrits get their asses beat. However! It’s a good idea to leave one of them alive. The next phase of the mission won’t begin until the last Ifrit is dead, and we want to be able to set ourselves up properly to complete the mission with a minimum of fuss.

The position we want to be in is right up here, on the northern half of the Metatron mine entrance. Cheesing it a little? Perhaps, but at this point I’m not in the mood to spend six turns hard-charging it down the slope while the inevitable enemy reinforcements plink away at me.

It also backfires on me hilariously later on, so there’s that too. :v:

When the last Ifrit falls the next cutscene is triggered.

Iblis appears in the middle of the mine. Just as an interesting aside, the flashing techno-coloured terrain around the mine is classed as ‘plains’, but the white square in the very centre is labelled ‘hole’ and ground-based units can’t move over it.

: Look!

: Cage…everyone…please leave. Even if I were to leave with all of you, all I would do is hate the people of Mars for the rest of my life.

:…how you must feel. But Zephyrs isn’t even…

: That’s not all, Cage. Most of the children used in those experiments had been given up voluntarily by their parents.

: I heard that from Ares too. But that’s why you have to live, and make sure that the same thing doesn’t happen again. Only you can do that!

:…unloved. I can still hear them…all of the people who have died…I can hear my brother calling me…

: No! Ares…your brother wouldn’t want that for you! He told me…

But then…just when you thought things couldn’t possibly get any worse…

Music: Uncontrollable Fear

:…are mine!

It’s Bolozof! How the hell does he keep surviving? :tinfoil:

:…Who are you?

: Heh heh heh…

Bolozof’s Grafficane scoots over to Myona!

: What are you doing?!

Aaaaand the Self-Binder fucks everything up yet again.

: Eeeeeeeeeeeekkkk!!!

: Myona?!

: The Self-Binder?! He must be trying to control Miss Myona!

:…anyone. And now your precious ‘Myona’ is completely under my spell. Now, be my pawn, and help me become the King of all Mars!

: C…a…g…e…

: Myona! Bolozof, stop!

:…Understood.

A bunch of Ifrits spawn.

: Command Executed. I Await My Next Command.

:…all of you, and the Ifrit troop will be mine!

: Bolozof…you use Myona and hide behind her…how cowardly can you be?!

: Hmph. You don’t get it. Cowardly? No, the right word is ‘clever’! I have learned to work with what I have!

That’s because it’s 75% shameless hypocrisy and 25% unwarranted smugness.

: And you have the nerve to say that I HIDE behind her? You’re wrong there too! I am the King! And the King need not sully his own hands! Heh heh heh! I will be a spectator this time around…I simply can’t be bothered to toy with you children any more. I can hardly wait until your idealistic little worlds are shattered!

Bolozof retreats like the coward we all know he is.

: Myona…what am I supposed to do?

: The Self-Binder’s effect is not yet complete…We should be able to help her! Let’s go!

: Pharsti…Okay, I guess there’s no reason to worry! Let’s finish this!

We regain control at this point. Our objective is to destroy the Iblis, something we can do pretty easily thanks to our positioning.

Stats-wise Myona is five levels lower than Ares was in the previous playthrough and so her skills are correspondingly lower. She’s still a threat if you do this mission properly, but if you handled Ares you can handle her.

After wearing her down with nearly all of our other units, Cage moves in to deliver the final blow.

: C…age…?

: Okay, good, she’s conscious. Don’t worry, you’re going to be fine!

: What happened? Come over here!

: Cage…leave me…like this. Please…

: Myona, you’re still saying that?

:…will be people like him…and…they might come after you next…

: That’s not true! And…you saved me so many times!

: That wasn’t the real me, Cage…now that I have my memory back, I am no longer ‘Myona’. In fact, ‘Myona’ never even existed to begin with!

: Just leave!

:…I can’t do that, Myona. I came here today to take you home, and to fulfil my promise to Ares. And…to fulfil your dream, as well.

: My dream? I…have no dream.

: Cage, can you hear me?

: That’s…the message I left you…?

: Yeah. You saved me by leaving this message, too. This…this is your dream.

:…never…see each other…again.

:…What’s your point? It’s just a goodbye. Are you saying that you are going to make it come true?

: This is as far as you meant me to hear. I thought this was the end when I first heard it, too.

: Cage, I…am going off to die…somewhere. Somewhere I won’t be a nuisance to anyone. But…

: Why…?

: Of course it had been deleted. But it was strange to have so much blank but previously recorded space at the end, so I had Pharsti recover it. I though that maybe there would be something else you wanted to say…

:…selfish?

: This…this has nothing to do with me now! Because…I…I…erased it already! You can’t only go by something I never meant to say!

: But…they’re still your words.

:…see different things…

: Please…stop it. That wish is something that cannot be fulfilled; I’ve already given up on it…I thought about it...I agonized over it…and I was finally able to bring myself to erase it…

: I didn’t say anything until now, because it’s so childish and stupid, and I was too embarrassed to say anything…I thought you’d laugh at me. But if we did do it, it would have been so much fun…it would have made me very happy…but it was enough for me to dream about it. Thank you, Cage…for everything.

:…what you are really like, and I don’t care about your past. The person who is standing in front of me right now is Myona.

: Ca…ge…

: Myona does exist! She’s not a lie, and she’s not an illusion! Just like this voice, she’s just hidden right now!

: Myona! There’s no wish that can’t come true! Come with me, and we’ll…

But before Cage can finish…

Bolozof shows up with a whole bunch of goons!

: Bolozof!

: I now have complete control over this laboratory…Come, Myona!

: Ugh! Cage…

Myona retreats!

: Relax, I only recalled her. This time I will erase her memory…A pawn needs no free will…heh heh!

:…Cage. Let us destroy his Frame. If we do not hurry, Miss Myona may be in danger!

: All right!

Music: Marleblanke Dite

Control is returned to us, and I’m sure you can see what the problem is.

I, uh…I forgot that Bolozof shows up at the end and you have to fight him one last time. Which means we are now surrounded by nine Ifrits, most of which are in attack range, with the majority of my own units incapable of moving and with Bolozof’s flunkies about to charge as well.

:suicide:

Let’s see how this goes!

Welp, that’s Warren down!

Mebius takes a nasty hit, but she manages to pull through.

Ditto Cage.

At the start of the next turn the battlefield looks like this. It looks like BIS is completely screwed, and that would probably be the case if Bolozof wasn’t a stupid moron and just sat back instead of charging into range of units that could kill him.

He’s still riding his regular Grafficane with its piddly 7,000 HP, so it really doesn’t take much to kill him.

And with that, Bolozof goes down.

: Ha ha ha!! What do you think? By using this sound I can control her mind easily! It is just as he said…I don’t understand the logic behind it, but I will use it anyway!

: What…what should I do now?

Are you guys ready for a totally left-field save?

: Jojo! You’re awake!

: What?! Who are they?

: Yup! When I was sleeping, I met lots of people!

: I don’t get it, but she said that there were lots of other kids just like us.

: It must be a sign from the Lord…

: They were all talking about Myona! They said it was enough! Vale and Pharsti can be free now!

So, uh, apparently Jojo can see dead people now. :psyduck:

: They said they were depending on you because you were kind…they said to say bye to you for them!

: They’re all…letting me go…? They can…forgive me…?

: What is that voice?! Stop! Stop talking to me!!

: You touched the Me-ta-tron too much. Your body can’t…

:…raise the power of the Self-Binder to maximum! See what happens when I do that!!

: Don’t do it!

Bolozof’s Frame begins to explode!

: Why…why is my Frame disintegrating? How…? How is this possible?! This can’t happen to me now!!

Bolozof’s Grafficane goes up in smoke. Good loving riddance. With his fall all of the enemy units on the map retreat.

: Vital signs obliterated…

: (…Bolozof…)

: He…Bolozof…

:…Cage.

: Myona…

: Myona, you saved my life. So even if you attack me, even if it costs me my life, I have to save you. I won’t ever let anyone like Bolozof get near you ever again!

: Of course it can be done! I’ll protect you! I’ll protect you until you tell me to stop!

: Why…would you do all of that for me…

: I’m not sure. I’ve never felt this way before. I…I like you, Myona, more than anyone else. So…

: And that’s why I am going to find a reason for you to want to live! I want to make your dream come true, because I care about you!

: Maybe you don’t want me to, but even so…

:…Cage, you really are silly. That wasn’t the end of the message.

: Huh?

: You missed the most important part. At the very end, I said ‘Thank you for everything, Cage…’

:unsmith:

: So you’re saying…Myona!

: Yes. I am Myona, right?

: Of course you are…welcome back, Myona!

And so the playable section of the mission ends. I kind of prefer the first route’s Myona reunion scene, which I feel has more weight in comparison to this one. Still, all’s well that ends well I guess.

Music: Pulse

: I’m sorry, Semmy. I’m okay now!

: Myona…I’m sorry…about your brother.

: I was ready for it. I also heard about Mr. Deckson. In my life…I have been rescued by so many different people…and I’m grateful to all of them. More than words can express…

: We left it behind. The missile will destroy it.

: That’s right! Forget the teary reunion, the missile is on its way! Twede, we will make it on time, won’t we?

:…By the skin of our teeth.

:…incentive?

: I would have to say that that is a good source of motivation.

Just then, something hits the side of the Saoshyant!

Music: Danger

: Something has attached itself to the outer hull!

: What do you mean, ‘something’? From experience there’s only one person it could possibly be!

Bolozof! Seriously, is this guy immortal or something?

: Man, he should go for a part in a horror flick.

: What’s with him?! This persistence just isn’t normal…Twede, can we shake him off?

: He is piloting the Iblis. If we were to try that, the ship would break before he did.

: (Bolozof on the Iblis? It’s…It’s all my fault!)

: This is bad…it’s throwing off the balance of the ship! If we don’t do something, the missile will hit us!

:…Please take care of Myona!

Cage runs off!

: That moron! He’s going out there to peel him off!

: N-no! Even if he succeeds, he may not be able to get back in!

: I’m goin’!

: Wait, you two!

: Huh? But Cage is goin’ out there! Don’t you care? You finally got to see each other again…

The music completely cuts out here.

: Look…at that…

: Huh?!

The scene shifts over to Cage in the hangar.

(…)

: Uh…Pharsti? Where…where did you go…?

Music: Z.O.E 2173

: No can do, Bolozof. You and I are staying behind.

: Pharsti…you…

: No, Miss Myona. I am sick and tired of babysitting Cage. Now it’s your turn.

: Myona! Pharsti is gone!!

: Cage…she’s outside with Bolozof.

: Pharsti!

:…exactly how I feel.

:…Yes, I do.

: Pharsti, no! You can’t! Come back right now!

:…Pharsti.

: Look at this man, Cage. If a person abuses Metatron, his entire life could turn into evil. So I am taking him down. This is one of my obligations. Thank you for everything…

: Shoot! I can’t do anything…there’s nothing that any of us can do…

: Of course! We wouldn’t let a troublemaker like him out of our sight!

: Hee, hee…

: The missile! The missile is coming!!

: Shush! Be quiet!

: Pharsti. You have done us proud by fighting as one of us. Thank you…and see you again soon!

: Yes, Ms. Robin.

: Thank you, Mr. Razma. Miss. Semyl?

: Don’t worry, I’ll take care of those two! I’m gonna…

: Good luck with him…

: I wasn’t expecting that…

: Pharsti…

: It was not a lie, Cage. Even after I am gone, the other me will be your missing wing. So please do not be sad. She is me.

: Pharsti…

: Pharsti…you are so stupid. I can tell…you’re crying, aren’t you?

:…goodbye…I will be back soon to take Cage from you…

: Selfish as usual…you’ve been lying through your teeth this whole time…

: Please take care of Cage, Myona…my other self.

:…Yes.

: I’m not going to say goodbye.

: Hee, hee. That is fine. Well, Cage, I’m going to go outside for a little while. I may be some time…

: Pharsti…see you later.

: We can’t waste the opportunity that Pharsti has given us. Now! Go full throttle!

: *Gasp* The first missile has been confirmed within visual range!

: Bolozof, I feel sorry for you. The only way you could relate to other people was by hurting and looking down on them. Come with me. It will all be over soon…your sadness and suffering too…

: My…sadness and suffering…?

: Yes…you must have been very lonely, because you were always trying to be stronger than everyone else…

: It will be all right…we are both going to disappear…

: (Cage…I enjoyed my time with you…I am glad that I could be of service to you…until the very end…)

The scene transitions back to the Saoshyant.

: *Sigh* There’s really no way?

: Wait, what’s that up in the sky? It looks like…a halo!

:…work! They will all melt and disappear!

: They are probably aware of that…Pharsti must be controlling them to help save us.

: Pharsti, did you do this?

: Phar…sti…

…Fade to white.

At long last, it’s all over. Well, not quite; we still have the epilogue chapter left to go. It’s fairly similar to the one we had in the last playthough, but the differences are big enough that I’m going to have to transcribe it all. After that’s done I’ll do the credits and the secret scene at the end of them, and after that is finished I’ll transcribe the character files. They’re pretty interesting to read and shed some light on why the characters act the way they do. Until then, I hope you enjoyed the conclusion to the second story path.

Oh, and don’t worry. Bolozof is dead, for real this time. He’s not going to show up in the epilogue to ruin everyone’s day or anything.

…Jojo can see ghosts. :psyduck:

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Ugh, it WAS Bolozof again. Goddamnit.
The other closing chapter was better. It had more weight and impact. Maybe I say that because goddamnit why Bolozof?

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Hi, Bolozof? :psyduck:

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

GodDAMMIT Bolozof! I'm not entirely sure which ending I like better, I mean this route had some really powerful moments like Ares on his deathbed and almost anything involving Cage and Pharsti, but the other route is the other drat route. That and Phil getting over himself vs. him incredibly not makes things a bit tougher. I was actually worried they were going to go for a thing like in 85% of Gundam series where the love interest/primary female character dies to portray tragedy and I'd honestly be pretty pissed if they did that to Myona.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Yeah, I'm not sure why they brought Bolozof back. Jimmer brainjacking him and sending him to his death was poetic and a perfect culmination of his villain arc. I'd have much preferred it if the scenario was just about fighting a semi-brainwashed, guilt-wracked Myona.

Unfortunately with Ares dead I guess the writers needed something to disrupt matters enough to force Pharsti to sacrifice herself, so we got King Bolozof instead.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make
Huh...well that was something. Not quite what I was expecting...

Man, is it just me, or did the writing for this Route drop pretty sharply midway into Chapter 23? We've got the really cheap Deux Ex Machina with the ghost seeing children (when the more creative, and frankly better alternative would've been to think of something Cage could say to convince her on his own, by maybe sharing what Ares said to him in regards to Myona or something), we've got said children suddenly popping up without much explanation (only to promptly disappear the moment they're not needed), King Bolozof, that whole scene with Twede and Warren shooting at everyone, lack of any real villains...weird, out of nowhere lines like...

: I'm not big on... non-human girls...but your voice was pretty sexy...

...And then that sacrifice by Pharsti...

Why? Why go to all that trouble of grabbing Bolozof and restraining him, rather than, you know, putting a Rusty Lancer through his stomach? Or blasting him off the ship like a pest? Or cutting off Iblis's arms? Or targetting the cockpit (which has been proven to work several times), or...I dunno, ANYTHING?! If this scene were realistic at all, it'd go more like...

: I’m sorry, Semmy. I’m okay now!

: Myona…I’m sorry…about your brother.

: I was ready for it. I also heard about Mr. Deckson. In my life…I have been rescued by so many different people…and I’m grateful to all of them. More than words can express-

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!!!

: AAAH HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HAAAAAH!!! I'M BAAAAAAACK!!!

: OUT OF THE WAY, OR I'M GONNA KILL YOU, DESTROY YOU, I'M TELLING YOU, I'M GONNA CRUSH YOU LIKE LITTLE INSECTS, CRUSH YOU LIKE LITTLE INSECTS, I'M BACK, BACKBACKBACK, BAAAAA-!!!

: Pharsti, could you please take care of the mess outside?

With gusto.

: HAW, HAW HAW HAW HAAAAW!! HAIL TO THE KING MAGGOTS, HAIL TO THE KI-

: Huh?!? WAIT, NOOOO-

There we go.

But Pharsti! Now you're outside! What will we do? We might not be able to get you back in the ship, so-

Dude. I can fly. You know that right?

Uh....huh?

Yep. Pretty far in fact, considering that we already established all the way in Episode 1 that Orbital Frames can actually fly in space, what with Ares sinking that Bonaparte, and then engaging Cage immediately afterwards. And considering that Bolozof was still somehow able to switch mechs, get into the Iblis, and fly all the way into the stratosphere where we are, despite us having kicked the living crud out of the Iblis just a short time ago...yeah, I think I'm good.

Oh, well ok then! AWESOME!!

: Anyways, where was I? Oh yeah, Cage...

I mean jeez, at least the story was good up until about Chapter 23 or so, but after that...yikes...

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Jul 14, 2014

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
So hey, it turns out I was mistaken about the epilogue being different enough to require a whole new transcription. Upon closer examination the only new bits are where Phil talks. I can probably get it out sometime today, even.

Edit: Scratch today, try 'right this very minute'.

Scintilla fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Jul 14, 2014

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Epilogue:

Contrary to what I previously thought, the epilogue is pretty much exactly the same as it was in the previous route. The only differences are that Phil is alive and therefore has lines in it, and Nadia is dead and therefore does not.

:…the terrorist group claiming to fight for Martian Independence. The group, which has lost its mastermind in the attack, is expected to lose power completely over time, and recent events lend hope to achieving peace in previously riot-torn territories on Mars…The Hellespontos government has evaluated the state of these areas gravely, and has stated that they will reconsider postponing the tax increase to a later time. In other news…

Music: Epilogue Theme

: I can't believe you! They're taking off today!

: Heh...sorry...Um, where's Razma at? He's not here yet?

: Hm? You're not together?

: Weird...He left before me...And what's with the guests of honor? They didn't jet already, right?

: They are going through pre-boarding procedures. I think they will be returning shortly...

: Heh heh...And thus the tangled web is woven...

: (…Mebius.)

: Phew...Why are stations so uselessly big? Just finding the counter took some doing.

: Heh heh heh.

:...Ah! Here they come!

: You're late! What were you doin'?!

: Hey, sorry. I was doing something.

: Oh, are you here to take care of business? That's pretty manly of you...oh, it's still unfinished, isn’t it?

:...You still didn't do it?!

: No! I'll DO it! But today...! This is killing me!

: What!? I'M going to kill YOU!

: J-Jojo! Pauly! And Gilbert...!

: Violence is bad.

: Yeah, Semyl!! Do it!

: Were you late because you were rounding up these children?

: S...sorry...

: Are you going away? I'll still be able to see you, right?

: Of course. I'm just going to go somewhere to find something.

: To find something?

:…back.

: Really? Promise? You have to, because I'm going to marry you when I grow up.

: Ha ha ha ha ha...That's right. I'm looking forward...Owwww!

:...

: Uh-oh.

: I'm really glad that I met all of you. A lot has happened, but that is why I am here like this. I am forever indebted to you. Thank you for taking me in the way you did...

: Well, nobody's forcin' you to go, ya know? You could just stick around...

: Precisely. If Mr. Deckson were alive, he would say the same.

: Thank you. But I didn't choose to come here consciously. I can't take the easy way out and stay.

:...Cage.

:…don't know when that is going to be, but I want to go to different places and meet different people, feel different things, and then figure out what I am supposed to do. I want to give myself another opportunity to come back here because I want to.

: Semyl. You've done so much for me...I'm really sad to be apart from you again. But we're friends no matter how far away we are, aren't we? We'll always be friends.

: N-No! Don't cry. Come on, smile!

: Come on, Pops, say something.

: I can't deal with this stuff.

: You little...

: Mr. Yukito, Mr. Warren.

: Mm? Oh! Cage! um, er, what can I say...

: Uh, right! Pops, too...

: There's no need for that. From now on, you are going to have your experiences and teach yourself, right? That is much better than learning through what you hear from someone else. It would make me happy if you remembered us. But you need to paint over what you think you know now with your own experiences!

: Yes, sir!

: You don't have to think too hard about what he just said, Cage. Even if you lie around like a bump on a log, you're still going to gain more rings. Otherwise you're going to be old and crusty in your early 30s, like him.

: Heh heh...I think I know what you mean.

: That I can't tell you.

: YOU!

: Cage. Don't you think they're a funny mix of people?

: Heh heh. They joke around on the surface, but they've been through a lot together. Their friendship is based on a deep sense of trust.

: Of course. It's been that way for a long time now.

: Cage...

: What was that?

: It sounded like a...baby.

: Razma. The sound's coming from that basket.

Fun fact; the character portrait is Phil’s, but the name on the text box is ‘Warren’. I re-checked the previous version and, sure enough, Warren is the one who delivers the line in the other playthrough. Looks like one of the developers slipped up.

: Gilbert. You're not supposed to tell anybody about that kind of stuff.

: Ohhhhhh!! Cuuuuute!

: Y...You!! I can't believe it! I thought you would do it eventually, but...You moron! Who is the mother, and where is she?!

: She looks exactly like Mr. Razma around the eyes.

:allears:

: Wait! You've got it all wrong! No! I wouldn't do something like that! Cage, help!

:...And how would I do that?

: I'm telling you, it wasn't like that! A person saying she was a big fan of ours gave it to me telling me it was food for all of us! I never thought there would be baby inside!

:...That's all you gotta say for yourself?

: Y-You're not getting it...

: Waaaaaaaaaaaahhhhh!!

: She won't stop crying. Maybe she's hungry? Just a minute, okay, I'll go find you some milk...Warren, will you hold on to her for a while? I can't trust them with her!

: Should I ask Yukito, then?

: Oh look, it's a little girl. All living things are most adorable when they are this small.

: Aaaaaaaaaahhhhh!

: F-Fine! I'll hold it, give it to me!

: Ah...?

: She's asleep? Children are cute whatever they do...

: *Giggle* I agree...Perhaps we should...

: Hm? There is a letter...I see, the girl who brought this child is not her mother. She was protecting her because she is an orphan, and decided that giving her to us would be the most sound decision. She apologizes for the inconvenience repeatedly.

: She has nobody else; perhaps we should raise her.

: Good idea. All of us can...

: That won't work! She needs parents, don't you think?

:...You two take her.

:…Mebius!

: But...I don't think there's anyone else who can do it. Right, Twede?

:...I must agree.

: It’s just a formality. You wouldn’t have to get married or anything. Oh! Unless you want…

: M, Mebius! Say something! Please!

: *Giggle* She is so cute when she's sleeping...It's okay, little one. Everything's going to be okay...Did you say something?

: *Giggle*

: Look! She's laughing! You're awake? She's laughing!

:...Even in the most terrible of eras...No, especially in a time like this, we need to see innocent smiles. For that purpose, people will procreate and leave a part of themselves for the future...It's a very strange thing.

: W-Well in that case, you and Robin could take it...

: Really?!

: Oh...Cage.

: Yeah. I'm sorry to bother you at an important time, but we should get going soon...

: Oh yeah. Come back soon!

: You'd better come back before she starts talking. It'll be good training for you.

: If you get in trouble, just go to the closest NUT outlet, okay?

:...We'll be able to eliminate most problems from here.

: Heh heh...Thank you very much.

: Good luck! Send me an e-mail!

:...The end is near...

: Ain't no way! He is over!

: Ha ha ha...

:…?

: It’s…It’s n-n-nothing! Nothing at all. Take care!

: You too, Phil. Thank you for everything.

: Thank you, everyone. I am sorry that we are leaving, just when things are beginning for Mars...

:…I'll make everyone work twice as hard. It's going to get busy, folks!

: *Sigh* No vacation for us? But we can't complain – our actions made a difference. That gives me the energy to do just a little more.

: Of COURSE! BIS is forever!!

:...G...Good luck...Um, she might kill me before I see you again...

: Heh heh. Well, we're going now!

The music fades out and the scene switches to the shuttle about to leave Deimos station…

P.A. System:…fasten your belts until our departure. Our onboard monitors are showing a real-time picture of Mars...

Music: Born in Space

:…why can't people just get along? Is there no choice but to keep fighting? No, there must be a better solution than that. Everyone is human. Everyone is striving for the same thing, to survive...)

:…minute light, a split second. In the smallness of ourselves, we house enough anger, desperation, and destructiveness to set the entire universe ablaze...I wasn't able to figure it out, sadly. The next time we meet, if you've figured it out...please tell me.

: (Mr. Deckson....I may never find the answer to your question. But even so, I know that you can't stop looking for it. If you don't continue looking, you definitely won't find it...Do you think that things will be okay? Do you think that this hatred will pass, and become something more constructive? I believe that will happen. Everyone in the world...has the power to change the future...)

: Cage, what are you looking at?

: Just looking at Mars...

:...So much has happened. The complex relationship between Earth and Mars, Mr. Deckson and Phil...

:...I wonder if that baby is going to be all right.

: Huh?

: I wonder if she'll grow up happy.

: I wouldn't worry. Ms. Mebius and Mr. Warren are taking care of her. And everybody else will support them too.

: *Giggle* I know. But I'm sure she'll be kind and generous.

: A lot of lives have been lost, but for the sake of those lost lives, we have to protect the new lives.

: All of us need to keep moving forward. Let's always remember to move forward, together.

: Is that the right thing? How about everyone...

:…holds true for Pharsti, too.

: Yes...That day, if the two of them were given an invitation, I am sure they are together in the same place.

:...Hey, maybe they'll even be reborn together.

: If they can be born again with their souls united, I hope that they grow to be old and happy.

: Free...Yes, that would be nice.

P.A. System:…pressurized, please note that all communication devices will be temporarily unavailable...

: We're really going, Cage.

: I know.

: *Yawn*

: Mm-hmm. I'm sorry, I'm going to take a nap.

: Go ahead.

: Hey...

: Yes?

: Sure.

: (Ares, you said I was free. I'm going to go and see for myself. First, I have to change...right, Ares? I'm on my way...and I'm going to find what I'm looking for. My future...Ares, I am no longer confused. After all...

: (I'm not alone. I have Myona now.)

The screen turns white as the shuttle lifts off, carrying Cage and Myona to an unknown destination.

And that’s the end of the main story! Stay tuned for the credits and the secret scene afterwards – it’s pretty important in nailing down exactly where Fist of Mars stands in the grand scheme of the ZOE franchise.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

After what happened in the previous route, Phil's jealousy here is a lot more unnerving. Nobody knows that he killed his father, do they?

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
I'm almost 100% sure that only Deckson knew about that. Phil's character file goes into more detail about it.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Honestly I just felt bad for hating on Phil so much in route A, I mean I'm sure he's not going to snap and stab Yukito at some point in the near future, but I wish he at least could've gotten over Myona during route B.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
"Injury time" is a legitimate thing. They don't do timeouts in football, so when play is "stopped" for injury or other reasons, the clock is running and a count of the time is kept. The game isn't really over at 90 minutes, the "stoppages" have to be factored in too, resulting in "injury time" after 90 minutes.

I... would almost agree with Myona's decision to be left behind, since there's no telling who knows the weird sound code that'll let them take over her brain.

• Locked thread