Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

a hole-y ghost posted:

demonstrably untrue if you look at goon.jpg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.

King Vidiot posted:

I think that's for those "non-gendered" or "double gendered" people who believe that they're two genders simultaneously, which is tumblretarded and smacks of attention seeking. I assume the trans students are just going to be the sex they identify as.

You do know that non-gender and double-gendered people are a real thing, right? (As in, they have been documented by medical science for ages)

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

better "xe/xem" than "they/them" tbh. plural pronouns as gender-neutral singular pronouns are stupid

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Das Butterbrot posted:

You do know that non-gender and double-gendered people are a real thing, right? (As in, they have been documented by medical science for ages)

Wait, I though gender was just stuff you do or are expected to do by society or whatever. How can you document that medically?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

boom boom boom posted:

Wait, I though gender was just stuff you do or are expected to do by society or whatever. How can you document that medically?
Body dysphoria is medically supported because it's been documented by medical imaging that the brain of transgender individuals often shows a structure that is similar to those found in the opposite sex. Dunno how that applies to bigender or whatever, though.

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
scans of the hosed up mentally ill faggots revealed that their brains were wierd, basically

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Cardiovorax posted:

Body dysphoria is medically supported because it's been documented by medical imaging that the brain of transgender individuals often shows a structure that is similar to those found in the opposite sex. Dunno how that applies to bigender or whatever, though.

What about effeminate men who don't want to lop their dick off and don't gently caress guys (and the ones who do), might they also have a structure similar to the opposite sex? Seems like that proves very little.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

ObamaCaresHugSquad posted:

What about effeminate men who don't want to lop their dick off and don't gently caress guys (and the ones who do), might they also have a structure similar to the opposite sex? Seems like that proves very little.
How should I know? I'm pretty sure those neurologists had a control group tho and didn't just pull that data out of their rear end.

Kirk Johnson
May 25, 2014

by Ralp
You're all missing the point. This is nothing to do with actual trannies and everything to do with mentally-ill Tumblr weirdos. They're not the same thing.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Kirk Johnson posted:

You're all missing the point. This is nothing to do with actual trannies and everything to do with mentally-ill Tumblr weirdos. They're not the same thing.

What is an "actual tranny"

Kirk Johnson
May 25, 2014

by Ralp

Like I outlined earlier in the thread:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3654667&pagenumber=9&perpage=40#post433003444

Yeah, you can probably chalk it all up to different brands of the same mental illness but the point is there's a difference between a trans person who's been through all the psych and medical rigmarole for years and come out the other side still wanting to go through with it and some depressed fat poo poo on Tumblr in severe need of therapy who buys one loving lipstick and declares "ok I am a woman now" and who balks at the idea that their condition requires actual, qualified attention. The former are a tiny, tiny, tiny minority of the population; the latter are like 90% of Tumblr users and the ones who mostly won't shut up about "trans issues".

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax

Theoretically, it seems the idea is that an actual tranny is a hosed up weirdo who has an actual, medical case of the girly-brains, whereas a tumblr tranny is a hosed-up weirdo who has a case of the sad-brains and thinks becoming a girl is an escape route. I do not support this interpretation, personally.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Kirk Johnson posted:

Like I outlined earlier in the thread:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3654667&pagenumber=9&perpage=40#post433003444

Yeah, you can probably chalk it all up to different brands of the same mental illness but the point is there's a difference between a trans person who's been through all the psych and medical rigmarole for years and come out the other side still wanting to go through with it and some depressed fat poo poo on Tumblr in severe need of therapy who buys one loving lipstick and declares "ok I am a woman now" and who balks at the idea that their condition requires actual, qualified attention. The former are a tiny, tiny, tiny minority of the population; the latter are like 90% of Tumblr users and the ones who mostly won't shut up about "trans issues".

hmm idk none of my points personally have ever been about the amount they complain, i don't think that's a valid criteria. but on the other hand if 90% are complaining so vehemently and with such ill-will ("die cis scum") then maybe there's something confused and angsty about the whole phenomenon. or maybe not. trannies all over the world seem to make it work, but the ones who make it work seem to be more like gay men with implants. like how some guys get turned into bitches in prison or something. they are dudes playing the woman's role. but to insist that they are actually a woman, that seems to be a step too far, and i saw you say that before, and i agree with you there.

Maoist Pussy posted:

Theoretically, it seems the idea is that an actual tranny is a hosed up weirdo who has an actual, medical case of the girly-brains, whereas a tumblr tranny is a hosed-up weirdo who has a case of the sad-brains and thinks becoming a girl is an escape route. I do not support this interpretation, personally.
me either. what if the brain is a gradient from masculine attributes to feminine attributes depending on the person, and that it could even change over time, from more than just hormone injections, maybe even environmental and behavioral factors. that's my personal hypothesis. but i'm not a feminist or a trans activist and i don't care to tell them about it because their world views are all hosed up in various ways.

the worst thing is fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Aug 5, 2014

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax
Well, yeah. The concept that your brain is a woman, divorced from your body, is a strange sort of mind-body dualism up with which I shall not put.

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax
Also its loving gross and rapey and gay

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
On one hand, gender is only a social construct, and conditioned. but on the other hand, there are people that are *just so sure* that they're the other gender opposite from what society has up to that point conditioned them to be. Which is it, do people have agency, or don't they? modern SJW thought is all one big disjointed and incoherent mess when it comes down to it. no wonder it fractures into ever smaller and smaller pieces, fighting with each other and the outside shitlords on the way down. it's a race to the bottom. There's no possibility of unification, the people doing this kind of thing don't even know what that would be or why it is important. it's degenerate intellectual cannibalization.

Edit - What I mean is if gender is entirely conditioned, how is it possible, or desirable for a person to feel that they are the opposite conditioned gender from the conditioned gender that they currently are? Is conditioning automatically undesirable? Shouldn't they jump on someone who wants to be another conditioned gender? And that way of posing things makes the assumption that there is a thing that is you apart from your conditioning. What if you are nothing but your conditioning. And what if you have a part to play in your conditioning. It's all wrong, the way they approach things. "Society can't tell us who to be". Well, you are part of society. You are society, even. That's what conditioning is, the society within you. Either make a new model of society, or play along. And the problem is again, gender roles develop organically, you can't write some blog post and expect your creations to reflect something real about human nature. That would be play acting, cultish behavior.

That's why the entire feminist ideology backs themself into all these corners, and then when confronted on this, says "well different people believe different things and feminism represents all of them". Well in what way does it represent all of them, if there is no single unifying idea? If the single unifying idea is "woman first", then you've effectively said nothing, because you haven't answered the questions "why" and "how". "Woman first" is just a shapeless sentiment, not a philosophical proposition. And it's a reaction to "man first", if that was ever the case. I see feminism as a symptom of the degeneracy of society into philosophical incoherence, and nothing more. It's not the problem, or the solution, it's the symptom, maybe a necessary symptom to see and acknowledge. Or even definitely. However, something more is needed.

the worst thing is fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Aug 5, 2014

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
I've never heard feminist theory propose "women first" outside straw men and extremists, fwiw

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

COBRARocky posted:

gently caress this gay Earth.

Xis earth check your priveledges

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax
gently caress xis gay Earth.

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

I've never heard feminist theory propose "women first" outside straw men and extremists, fwiw
Like it or not (I certainly don't) tumblr is the current visible face of feminism

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Cardiovorax posted:

there's a lot of relation between the two, tho. we kind of use one to define the other.

we, uh, we don't, if you are a woman an you are your houeshold's bread-winner that does not make you a man, it just means you don't fit into the traditional gender role for a woman

same for drag queens, if they identified as women then they wouldn't be drag queens

Tevryr
Dec 5, 2009
i'm 10x more passable than these people without even trying

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

On one hand, gender is only a social construct, and conditioned. but on the other hand, there are people that are *just so sure* that they're the other gender opposite from what society has up to that point conditioned them to be. Which is it, do people have agency, or don't they? modern SJW thought is all one big disjointed and incoherent mess when it comes down to it. no wonder it fractures into ever smaller and smaller pieces, fighting with each other and the outside shitlords on the way down. it's a race to the bottom. There's no possibility of unification, the people doing this kind of thing don't even know what that would be or why it is important. it's degenerate intellectual cannibalization.

Edit - What I mean is if gender is entirely conditioned, how is it possible, or desirable for a person to feel that they are the opposite conditioned gender from the conditioned gender that they currently are? Is conditioning automatically undesirable? Shouldn't they jump on someone who wants to be another conditioned gender? And that way of posing things makes the assumption that there is a thing that is you apart from your conditioning. What if you are nothing but your conditioning. And what if you have a part to play in your conditioning. It's all wrong, the way they approach things. "Society can't tell us who to be". Well, you are part of society. You are society, even. That's what conditioning is, the society within you. Either make a new model of society, or play along. And the problem is again, gender roles develop organically, you can't write some blog post and expect your creations to reflect something real about human nature. That would be play acting, cultish behavior.

That's why the entire feminist ideology backs themself into all these corners, and then when confronted on this, says "well different people believe different things and feminism represents all of them". Well in what way does it represent all of them, if there is no single unifying idea? If the single unifying idea is "woman first", then you've effectively said nothing, because you haven't answered the questions "why" and "how". "Woman first" is just a shapeless sentiment, not a philosophical proposition. And it's a reaction to "man first", if that was ever the case. I see feminism as a symptom of the degeneracy of society into philosophical incoherence, and nothing more. It's not the problem, or the solution, it's the symptom, maybe a necessary symptom to see and acknowledge. Or even definitely. However, something more is needed.
gas
this
thread

porkchop_express
May 27, 2004
wait if you have a man brain inside a woman body, especially without valid consent (e.g. not intoxicated), then that sounds awful suspicious for rape.

penetrative rape

Tevryr
Dec 5, 2009

Gazpacho posted:

gas
this
thread

what gets me is how these people are so adamant that men and women are just so designed in a way that their thought processes are so different, yet they talk about how gender is a social construct. sounds a little sexist to me #constructs

Tevryr
Dec 5, 2009
serious, just prove what i said is wrong.

Meg From Family Guy
Feb 4, 2012

Tevryr posted:

what gets me is how these people are so adamant that men and women are just so designed in a way that their thought processes are so different, yet they talk about how gender is a social construct. sounds a little sexist to me #constructs

This is the conflict between second-wave and third-wave feminism.

Tevryr
Dec 5, 2009
also all this xim and trenderqueer bullshit and adding extra letters to pronouns is just grasping at straws as a way to sound more important or gain attention

Tevryr
Dec 5, 2009

Meg From Family Guy posted:

This is the conflict between second-wave and third-wave feminism.

haven't comedians figured all of this out already?

Meg From Family Guy
Feb 4, 2012
Ironically I can remember myself saying to some more close-minded friends that certain comments were essentialist and I meant that in a negative way, but third-wave feminists are literally unironic Aristotle-level essentialists

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Tevryr posted:

no one informed argues that gender is "just" a social construct. it is a part of biology that has serious social implications, which is why I maintain that people claiming to be "third" or "non-binary" gender are full of poo poo.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Tevryr posted:

also all this xim and trenderqueer bullshit and adding extra letters to pronouns is just grasping at straws as a way to sound more important or gain attention

yeah basically

Tevryr
Dec 5, 2009

TacticalUrbanHomo posted:

no one informed argues that gender is "just" a social construct. it is a part of biology that has serious social implications, which is why I maintain that people claiming to be "third" or "non-binary" gender are full of poo poo.

oh, good point. i do kind of understand a bit of that "androgynous" thing though. no one embraces it much because it sounds alien and isn't cool as like a "zazz'frit"

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

you're all a bunch of bitches to me

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois
androgyny ftw

Meg From Family Guy
Feb 4, 2012

TacticalUrbanHomo posted:

Actually retard there are a very very very large number of people who believe that gender is just a social construct and sex is the biology part

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
my preferred pronouns is human being/human being/rear end fucker human being, and i am glad that american schools are finalyl giving me my own human being bathroom (fagroom)

Meg From Family Guy
Feb 4, 2012

Al Cowens posted:

androgyny ftw

A strange game. The only winning move, is not to play.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
You know those guitars that are, like, double guitars?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meg From Family Guy
Feb 4, 2012
Actually it's interesting how much of SJW tumblr nonsense comes from Aristotelian thought

the previously mentioned mind body divide / dualism
essentialism
the appeals to reason (though poorly used)

• Locked thread