Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
eat the slightly less poor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
yeah i'll change the world by shafting myself in the process

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

put all ur money in bullion (ie apple)

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

theadder posted:

put all ur money in bullion (ie Knorrs)

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

hackbunny posted:

ready to have your mind blown?

magstripe and zip code

blam!

gas stations, marta farecard machines and dc metro smart trip vending machines (but not the farecard machines) do this, which is fine except everytime ive had visitors from outside the us try to buy with their foreign credit cards, the transaction doesn't go through because of this stupid poo poo

ive tried 00000 or even using their foreign billing postal code which is also 5 digits and it doesn't work, and i end up having to buy it for them

it's nonstandard and bad

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

echinopsis posted:

a 2 bedroom with no land that a couple are paying 380 a week for

why do people in the uk and all the lovely uk former colonies (aus, nz) price rents per week instead of per month, i never get that

is it like saying something costs 3.99 instead of 4 dollars because psychologically it sounds smaller?

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

people used to be paid more regularly in uk & still can be if they do low paid work so it makes sense to split it up

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

mishaq posted:

why do people in the uk and all the lovely uk former colonies (aus, nz) price rents per week instead of per month, i never get that

is it like saying something costs 3.99 instead of 4 dollars because psychologically it sounds smaller?

well they pay weekly so i say it in weekly

why dont you say it annually or even decadely?

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

echinopsis posted:

well they pay weekly so i say it in weekly

why dont you say it annually or even decadely?

do you pay your electricity/phone/gas/other bills weekly too?

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

the only bills you pay in the us weekly are rent-to-own furniture/electronics

poor people poo poo

CamH
Apr 11, 2008

i pay my garbage bill every third month -- does that mean I'm rich

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

echinopsis posted:

yeah i'll change the world by shafting myself in the process

good on ya mate

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

CamH posted:

u got a top hat & cane?

CamH
Apr 11, 2008

theadder posted:

u got a top hat & cane?

maybe in the attic or something idk

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

mishaq posted:

do you pay your electricity/phone/gas/other bills weekly too?

monthly but i see power companies are starting to offer weekly bills (prolly to make sure they get paid)

but like, wgaf. what kind of thing is tat "hey homo, i heard you guys pay you rent weekly! what a loser"

my mortageg repayments are 2 weeks

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

updating

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

CamH posted:

i live in a city that, by law, has to pick up trash for free

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
what is the laternative? like garbage truck subscriptions?

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

the alternative is that the city just loving does it because that's a thing that should happen in a civilized world

Dominus Vobiscum
Sep 2, 2004

Our motives are multiple, our desires complex.
Fallen Rib

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

remember when fedex/kinkos used chip cards to store paid copier credit without any sort of verification so if you had the right equipment you could just manually change the stored value from, like, 15¢ to hundreds of dollars

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

echinopsis posted:

monthly but i see power companies are starting to offer weekly bills (prolly to make sure they get paid)

but like, wgaf. what kind of thing is tat "hey homo, i heard you guys pay you rent weekly! what a loser"

my mortageg repayments are 2 weeks

why would you as a landlord want to deal with collecting payment 4 times a month instead of just once

seems like a pain in the rear end

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

mishaq posted:

why would you as a landlord want to deal with collecting payment 4 times a month instead of just once

seems like a pain in the rear end

idk what you mean by "collect" but if you mean, my property manager, who gets paid to do this, makes sure the money comes out weekly, and chastises the tenants if they dont pay

who caares

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

also by collect you mean, getting an automatic payment set up so that the banks handle the transaction from the poor deprived renter into living in the lap of luxury echi the land barons account

Miley Virus
Apr 9, 2010

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

luxury echi the land barons account

no thats a different kiwi

you racist, we pakeha arent all the same

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i have a property manager. im not going to deal with those peasants directly. ick. what the gently caress is wrong with you people

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

how much is the property manager worth to you? just sayin cos you were the tight oval office who lambasted me for purchasing cat6 over cat5 :smugmrgw:

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

Lutha Mahtin posted:

target tried this in a pilot project and it was poo poo. i dont work for target, i know this bc it was the target by my house that had it. there was a screen that flashed "register #N open now" for the next person in the queue but then idiot Jimbob McSanchez would start walking forward and see some other register open up and hey ill just take this one instead. stuff like that. so you're waiting and you don't know if you're supposed to go, or like which register is open because theres people blocking your view of the 2 checkouts way down there that might be open, &c

They do this at the Whole Foods in NYC and it works pretty well despite there being the running joke/urban legend that the blue lane is always the fastest/slowest.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

how much is the property manager worth to you? just sayin cos you were the tight oval office who lambasted me for purchasing cat6 over cat5 :smugmrgw:

well when we rented this house out years ago we did it ourselves. it turned to a fuckin mess while we were overseas and hired property manager and not only did she get more rent than we managed to but enough more to pay for herself and STILL get more money than when we did it ourselves

our experience and everyone we've talked to say they pay for themselves for the service they provide, better rent they get and WAAY LESS strees

still wouldnt put cat6 in thoug. talk about money down the shitter

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

why can't you charge more rent [which as previously allude to I feel is an outrage] instead of paying someone else to charge more rent for. you? talk about money down the shitter

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
wait people rent homes weekly when its not a weekly stay place like when you're in town for a 3 week project or something?

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

well you have to pay like 2 months advance for most places

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
i want the option to punch my card # into the terminal so I don't have to carry them around anymore

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

why can't you charge more rent [which as previously allude to I feel is an outrage] instead of paying someone else to charge more rent for. you? talk about money down the shitter

look consider it paying for the luxury of not having to think about it at all. i dont have to worry if something breaks, she organises to get it fixed. tenants cant pay? she knows the laws and is happy to be a bitch. im far too kind irl. she has people coming to her to find houses to live in, she can get the luxury of choosing between tenants

its like, why pay for a mechanic to fix your car, or a plumber to come to your house? gently caress why even go to a restaurant can't you cook your own food? i heard you dont even pay for prostitutes because you have your own wife

Sniep posted:

wait people rent homes weekly when its not a weekly stay place like when you're in town for a 3 week project or something?

they dont rent weekly, just pay weekly. most contracts have a like a month or so notice before moving out (or the bond is kept)

why is 2 weeks or a month the optimal payment schedule? why does it matter? poo poo i dont care if they pay daily as long as they do. most people in this country get weekly pay cheques so i guess it makes sense..

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Sniep posted:

only in countries full of people with awful accents like en zed

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

indigi posted:

i want the option to punch my card # into the terminal so I don't have to carry them around anymore
this sounds like poo poo

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
ive never met anyone who's rented a house weekly, apart from a holiday style arrangement

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

echinopsis posted:

they dont rent weekly, just pay weekly. most contracts have a like a month or so notice before moving out (or the bond is kept)

why is 2 weeks or a month the optimal payment schedule? why does it matter? poo poo i dont care if they pay daily as long as they do. most people in this country get weekly pay cheques so i guess it makes sense..

because paying weekly sounds like a huge pain in the rear end

why shouldn't you just pay once a month? is the home dealer so hooked on crack he needs a weekly cash fix or something? I'd rather just pay once and be done with it for a month, budgeted, out of sight out of mind.

i dont want to have to think about it constantly myself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

echinopsis posted:

ive never met anyone who's rented a house weekly, apart from a holiday style arrangement

oh so what youre talking about is like a weekly rent hotel then? i already called that out as separate

• Locked thread