Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Dogballs Jr.
Jun 9, 2014

the angriest sex machine
caligula

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

my first kid will be named Wilhelm III and if i have more children i will continue to sire Wilhelms (or Wilhelmena's) up through VI at which point i will switch to Frederick's starting with IV

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.
Skyden

Camler

Grimshak
Oct 8, 2013

I know you need the meat, girl, but damn.
This thread hurts me

jet sanchEz
Oct 24, 2001

Lousy Manipulative Dog
I have my first child coming in February and I really like the names Roy or Bruce but my girlfriend hates them both.

Help

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

even Gaius Julius Caesar Augustus Germanicus thought that was a stupid name and hated being called that

weak wrists big dick
Dec 18, 2012

good job. you are getting legitametly upset because I won't confrom to your secret internet cliques gross social standards. Sorry I don't like anime. Sorry I don't like being gross on the internet. Sorry that you are getting caremad.

your stupid shit internet argument is also only half true once I get probated, so checkmate anyways but nice try.

]
met a kid called "amedius" yesterday

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

jet sanchEz posted:

I have my first child coming in February and I really like the names Roy or Bruce but my girlfriend hates them both.

Help

combine them, name him royce

Grimshak
Oct 8, 2013

I know you need the meat, girl, but damn.

YeahTubaMike posted:

combine them, name him royce

Following the theme, maybe Royden

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Thats the best name itt

might be wrong
Oct 11, 2012
Kaylee is the worst name in the world

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
has there ever been a carly/carli/Karlie that was not severely mentally ill?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Toriori posted:

has there ever been a carly/carli/Karlie that was not severely mentally ill?

the only Carly i know of is Carly Simon and she is not mentally ill

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
this rube who doesn't know about carly Simons skincoat

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Ammon

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

the thing is that's a perfectly normal name. just not for a white person.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Neo the Stampede.

you were warned
Jul 12, 2006

(the S is for skeleton)

might be wrong posted:

Kaylee is the worst name in the world

Is Kayleigh even worse?

My niece is spelled Emileigh. Ugh.

Mrs.Nameko
Dec 16, 2015

Mushrooms are the internet of the forest!
I have encountered the following:

-Queen
-Neighthen :cripes:
-Norma-Jean
-Dragan
-Storm

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

Colby (like the cheese)
Zilah and Zayden
Gryphon
Bennett
Andromeda
Anakin
Mohan

^^ all white kids I know :(

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

TacticalUrbanHomo posted:

the thing is that's a perfectly normal name. just not for a white person.

:confused: it's a somewhat common name among religious Mormons, had been for a long time, almost all of them are white.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Buttmeister posted:

met a kid called "amedius" yesterday

Did he rock you?

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Earwicker posted:

:confused: it's a somewhat common name among religious Mormons, had been for a long time, almost all of them are white.

being common amongst mormons makes something normal now?

thanks for letting me know white mormons are appropriating arab names, though, that's fascinating.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

I guess it depends on what you mean by normal, but mormons are fairly common so, yes.

quote:

thanks for letting me know white mormons are appropriating arab names, though, that's fascinating.

its not just an Arab name, its also a Hebrew name referring to the kingdom of Ammon, which is more likely why the original Mormon dude used the name for a major character in the Book of Mormon

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

seriously?!

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Earwicker posted:

I guess it depends on what you mean by normal, but mormons are fairly common so, yes.

its not just an Arab name, its also a Hebrew name referring to the kingdom of Ammon, which is more likely why the original Mormon dude used the name for a major character in the Book of Mormon

appropriating semitic names, sorry

ShaqDiesel
Mar 21, 2013
Shaggy & Scooby would be good names for boy/girl twins.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

well of course they appropriate semitic names, just like practically every culture or group that has been influenced by the bible. a ton of what are now considered old boring generic white people names are semitic in origin. jonathan, joseph, joshua, jeremiah, etc.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Jan 5, 2016

Kallev
Nov 16, 2014
Cohrin, pronounced Karen.
Carle, pronounced Carl.
And for a middle name, Norest, such as Forest.

It makes me feel better about Conrad Augustus :unsmith:.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Earwicker posted:

well of course they appropriate semitic names, just like practically every culture or group that has been influenced by the bible. a ton of what are now considered old boring generic white people names are semitic in origin. jonathan, joseph, joshua, jeremiah, etc.

think about this really hard and see if you can spot the difference

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

you mean between those traditional names and the mormons? well sure, joseph smith made up everything on the spot by cribbing from older texts. but so what. i'm a semite myself and I don't give a poo poo if they appropriate some old hebrew name. go for it. Ammon it up.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Earwicker posted:

you mean between those traditional names and the mormons? well sure, joseph smith made up everything on the spot by cribbing from older texts. but so what. i'm a semite myself and I don't give a poo poo if they appropriate some old hebrew name. go for it. Ammon it up.

great. I don't particularly care either, I just wanted to make sure you weren't seriously suggesting that I should humour christian scientology by pretending that it's a legitimate organic cultural development and not just a loving weird 19th century cult that the government neglected to squash before it grew out of control.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

great. I don't particularly care either, I just wanted to make sure you weren't seriously suggesting that I should humour christian scientology by pretending that it's a legitimate organic cultural development and not just a loving weird 19th century cult that the government neglected to squash before it grew out of control.

of course its not an organic cultural development. im just saying pulling random old rear end hebrew names out of the bible is pretty normal, for mormons and all kinds of other religious people. i guess old joseph smith didnt quite realize Ammon was a place and not a dude, but eh, details, he was probably just skimming anyway.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Jan 5, 2016

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

Wherever happened to forums posters

"Shota thru da heart"

"And yuri to blame"

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax

'Ammon'? Sounds like Arabs are appropriating Egyptian names, sweetie.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Maoist Pussy posted:

'Ammon'? Sounds like Arabs are appropriating Egyptian names, sweetie.

I'm not sure whether the arabic name amon and the similar name of the egyptian god have a shared etymology or if one is descended from the other, and it wouldn't surprise me if that were the case, but what would surprise me would be if the genesis of the semitic name ammon was that some fringe section of arab society just decided to rip the name out of egyptian literature thousands of years after they ceased to have any relevance to their own culture

shelley
Nov 8, 2010
my middle name is Mariah after my dead great-great grandmother

I'm a dude

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Serious question. What are the most popular names in the U.S. right now?
IIRC Germany had Ben (just this, not as an abbreviation) for boys last year and Emma for girls.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill

shelley posted:

my middle name is Mariah after my dead great-great grandmother

I'm a dude

Fear not, tradition and history are more respectable when it comes to names. You could have been named "Mariah" because your parents were fat autists obsessed with a popular cartoon from 20 years ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

Gonna just name my kid Celexa or Mobic or whatever else I randomly flip to in the Merck Manual here.

• Locked thread