Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Obstacle2
Dec 21, 2004
feels good man
its going to be a fun movie and seeing movies in theaters surrounded by people that are excited to see it is a fun experience

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

nah its lame as poo poo when they do a standing ovation when the Lucasfilm logo appears on screen. these sycophants then did the same at the end of the phantom menace.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
it's gonna be good fun and unless your dick is shriveled up into your pelvis you'll let out at least one measly woop at some point

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I think Han Solo is going to die in Episode VII. He's featured pretty prominently in this trailer as a source of exposition, so I think he's filling a "wise old mentor" role in this film. Stories with mentor characters need to establish the reason why such a wise and powerful figure can't save the day for the main protagonists at the climax, and being dead is one good reason to not be around to help. It's what happened to Obi-Wan in the first movie! Furthermore, Harrison Ford has hated Star Wars for a long time and wanted his character to be killed off in Return of the Jedi. He probably leaped at the chance to kill off Han Solo once and for all in Episode VII.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
It's not like the original trilogy isn't mindless popcorn movie fun.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Pththya-lyi posted:

I think Han Solo is going to die in Episode VII. He's featured pretty prominently in this trailer as a source of exposition, so I think he's filling a "wise old mentor" role in this film. Stories with mentor characters need to establish the reason why such a wise and powerful figure can't save the day for the main protagonists at the climax, and being dead is one good reason to not be around to help. It's what happened to Obi-Wan in the first movie! Furthermore, Harrison Ford has hated Star Wars for a long time and wanted his character to be killed off in Return of the Jedi. He probably leaped at the chance to kill off Han Solo once and for all in Episode VII.

I think FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Obstacle2 posted:

its going to be a fun movie and seeing movies in theaters surrounded by people that are excited to see it is a fun experience

I'm starting to feel this way as well but the hardened cynic in me is ashamed by it. I don't know man, Star Wars just really stuck with me when I was young and now it appeals to me even though I recognise how much it is playing to my nostalgia.

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.

Professor of Cats posted:

and how the gently caress was I supposed to know this? Please don't tell me it is some comic bullshit again

nah vanity fair had a pretty stylish spread of film stills to go with their recent article.

http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2015/05/star-wars-the-force-awakens-vanity-fair-cover#7
scroll to the bottom for a slideshow

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

The most useless lightsaber

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

Pththya-lyi posted:

almost certainly correct

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

Moon Atari posted:

I'm starting to feel this way as well but the hardened cynic in me is ashamed by it. I don't know man, Star Wars just really stuck with me when I was young and now it appeals to me even though I recognise how much it is playing to my nostalgia.

YOU ARE ALLOWED TO SHUT THIS DOWN AND JUST ENJOY IT

jfc you realize all these ppl in here are just constantly fronting for invisible strangers? what about that is admirable? at least cool kids at school can see the ppl they are trying to impress

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

dali's lost masterpiece

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

lol, that freakish looking guy from girls is the bad guy?

also, a pirate castle full of weird looking creatures, looks familiar

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009

nomadologique posted:

lol, that freakish looking guy from girls is the bad guy?

also, a pirate castle full of weird looking creatures, looks familiar

Im just thankful we have original costumes and makeup to look forward to.

count your blessings
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiDRgDmXGi4

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

Toadvine posted:

count your blessings

lol

george lucas really is an idiot god bless him

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

maybe now that disney owns star wars they'll offer rereleases of the original theatrical cuts of episodes 4-6, knowing that 30-somethings will pay lots of money to buy ANOTHER official copy of star wars + express their rejection of the 1997 re-releases through their wallets!!

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

I imagine there could be a good star wars movie but jj abraham directs movies as if they were 30 minute Saturday morning cartoons.

Watch this and then watch his work.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNpWOQGnqe8

I guess the counter argument is that its a popcorn movie.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

"buy NOW for 129.99 if you think HAN SHOT FIRST"

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

Toadvine posted:

count your blessings

boba fett's patient indulgence really sets this scene off

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

how many times has boba fett had to put up w the dumb showtunes of his various patrons' house bands just to secure the job?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Professor of Cats posted:

and how the gently caress was I supposed to know this? Please don't tell me it is some comic bullshit again

just fuckin look at him he's in all black and there's 2 snow troopers behind him of course he's the bad guy

Moltke
May 13, 2009
why was boba fett, bounty hunter, still hanging around jabba like a personal security guard?

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

"oh ya jabba no i LOVE this number" (has heard it every time the last 15 times he's been there)

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

nomadologique posted:

maybe now that disney owns star wars they'll offer rereleases of the original theatrical cuts of episodes 4-6, knowing that 30-somethings will pay lots of money to buy ANOTHER official copy of star wars + express their rejection of the 1997 re-releases through their wallets!!

pretty sure they already announced this

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

Moridin920 posted:

just fuckin look at him he's in all black and there's 2 snow troopers behind him of course he's the bad guy

they takin him out into the middle of snow desert to execute him, haven't you seen Glaidator?

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

FogHelmut posted:

pretty sure they already did this

god i missed the money boat

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

nomadologique posted:

god i missed the money boat

i still have my thx vhs tapes in a box somewhere

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

the only true version is the laserdisc version

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
I'll see this in theaters sometime around when it opens and I'll enjoy it. But what I'm counting on is that JJ Abrams will not show an ounce of restraint, at all.

which sucks because a new star wars film could be very good if someone with taste directed it, but instead it'll simply be enjoyable

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

tatse and star wars don't mix my man

i will see it at like one in the afternoon a week after it opens

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

on a weekday

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Toadvine posted:

which sucks because a new star wars film could be very good if someone with taste directed it, but instead it'll simply be enjoyable

Why are you guys all on some 'oh the originals were art but these ones will just be passable' crap?

The originals were pew pew space lasers with the most generic Hero's Journey plot possible. It's not like some crazy high bar was set aside from all the fan hype and crap.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Moridin920 posted:

Why are you guys all on some 'oh the originals were art but these ones will just be passable' crap?

The originals were pew pew space lasers with the most generic Hero's Journey plot possible. It's not like some crazy high bar was set aside from all the fan hype and crap.

nerd nostalgia I guess

Also when the movies came out people had never seen effects that good for things such as the death star suicide mission.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

literally the most generic hero's journey possible, bc lucas read the pop theory version of it and decided to write a story that matched it in every particular

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009

Moridin920 posted:

dont be so cynical, there is some legitimately good cinematography in the first two, best I can remember. I'm picturing the opening space fight, tattooine, the hoth base, and lukes fight with vader at the end of empire strikes back,

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

nomadologique posted:

literally the most generic hero's journey possible, bc lucas read the pop theory version of it and decided to write a story that matched it in every particular

Plus it cribbed lots of ideas and characters from superior Japanese films.

Moltke
May 13, 2009
we have been conditioned to like this franchise since we were younglings and there may not be any way to break the cycle.

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
why are you guys all so high on your horse about westerns being art

its just bang bang bullets and booze and dusty gruff men with the most generic antihero plot possible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Toadvine posted:

dont be so cynical, there is some legitimately good cinematography in the first two, best I can remember. I'm picturing the opening space fight, tattooine, the hoth base, and lukes fight with vader at the end of empire strikes back,

Yeah fair enough but I'd be surprised if there weren't at least a few good shots in the new ones, too. The shot in the trailer with the sand speeder thing going across the screen with the crashed star destroyer in the back is great.

Toadvine posted:

why are you guys all so high on your horse about westerns being art

its just bang bang bullets and booze and dusty gruff men with the most generic antihero plot possible

P much though? A movie can be fun and enjoyable and still be bad in terms of movie analysis/critique. If the best thing you can say about the originals is 'it had good cinematography in some scenes' then again, super low bar.

• Locked thread