Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alst
Aug 9, 2007
s

bawfuls posted:

no question about it, that’s what would have happened before the rule

Its hypocritical how the announces feel that if the rule didn't exists the same play would have happened.

The announcers are bad**

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

He could have just jumped over the catcher of course :smugdog:

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

the popes toes posted:

Radio guys are saying that this is bad baseball, that the ball and the runner arrived at the same time and Contreras moved to catch the ball, which is wholly different from blocking the runner. The ONLY justification coming out of NY must be that Contreras stepped a little further to the left than he needed to to make the catch. Otherwise, the world is consumed by disorder and darkness. Say the radio guys out of Chicago.
It was the right call, his leg definitely went out further than needed to catch the ball. Still a nice try by Contreras

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

In a postseason full of managers getting second guessed for their bullpen moves, Dave Roberts looks brilliant cause his team is gooooooood

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo

Vernacular posted:

Ron Darling doesn't know when to stop

I don't understand the insistence to have a former player in the booth, especially when they're terrible. For every Smoltz or A-Rod you get 100 Joe Theissmans. There's zero insight and Darling's voice is god awful.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Wuet88 posted:

Its hypocritical how the announces feel that if the rule didn't exists the same play would have happened.

The announcers are bad**

I don't think that's what Darling is saying. He's just an old ball player set in his ways. It absolutely would have been a collision play.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

SourKraut posted:

If I have to settle for Cubs Even Year Bullshit the next several years I’m ok with it.

I mean this series isn't close to over yet, but yeah I'm okay with 3 straight NLCS appearances and a ring. And the Cubs are probably going to dominate the NL Central for the next 5 years.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

wyoak posted:

It was the right call, his leg definitely went out further than needed to catch the ball. Still a nice try by Contreras

It was the obviousness of the extend plant I saw in the replay that sealed it for me.

Shame it wasted a good beefy defensive play but, baseball vOv

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

the popes toes posted:

Radio guys are saying that this is bad baseball, that the ball and the runner arrived at the same time and Contreras moved to catch the ball, which is wholly different from blocking the runner. The ONLY justification coming out of NY must be that Contreras stepped a little further to the left than he needed to to make the catch. Otherwise, the world is consumed by disorder and darkness. Say the radio guys out of Chicago.

:shrug:

IMO, it's a close play and I'm not overly bothered by it. If the ball gets there 1/4 second earlier and it's the perfect out and a 1/4 second later and it's clearly blocking the plate.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002
Some Kenley music for you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wBTdfAkqGU

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I mean this series isn't close to over yet, but yeah I'm okay with 3 straight NLCS appearances and a ring. And the Cubs are probably going to dominate the NL Central for the next 5 years.

5 years is an eternity in baseball, the Reds could be the World Series champs in 2022 for all we know

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The biggest part of that play was overlooked, Schwarber made a good throw to home.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

And its just one game

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Exactly, and while there’s still at least three more games, the bullpen struggles don’t leave me with much hope. I just hope they make improving the bullpen a big part of the offseason.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

5 years is an eternity in baseball, the Reds could be the World Series champs in 2022 for all we know

There’s as much chance of that as there is of the Dodgers winning it all this year and ownership pulling a 97 Marlins and deconstructing the whole team. :haw:

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle
Is there some sick nasty catcher injury footage I'm not aware of?

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

SourKraut posted:

Exactly, and while there’s still at least three more games, the bullpen struggles don’t leave me with much hope. I just hope they make improving the bullpen a big part of the offseason.

:agreed:

Oh god Canadian coverage just had Zaun showing the Posey play again

Alst
Aug 9, 2007
s

Popete posted:

I don't think that's what Darling is saying. He's just an old ball player set in his ways. It absolutely would have been a collision play.

Thats exactly what they are saying.

With no rule, the runner can just blow up the catcher.

If you cant blow up the catcher, he cant block the plate, its a pretty fair rule.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

I don't want to see people get hurt but the current situation is not a good resolution for that kind of play
this is the only logical resolution to that issue

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
this smug insurance lady needs to go

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
gregg zaun: "they dont let nfl players tackle quarterbacks any more. thats why i dont watch the nfl"

Alst
Aug 9, 2007
s

bawfuls posted:

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
What if we allow the umpire to ask Wilson if he intended to block the runner? That way we will know for sure.

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004

bawfuls posted:

Or they could just make blocking the plate legal

I mean, in this specific instance I have sympathy to the cub fan argument that it wasn’t that egregious

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Does it matter? Cubs weren't scoring 2 runs anyway.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
John Lackey is our best bullpen pitcher...

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

TAQIYYA PURVEYOR posted:

Is there some sick nasty catcher injury footage I'm not aware of?
look up Buster Posey ankle

Alst
Aug 9, 2007
s

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

Or they could just make blocking the plate legal

I mean, in this specific instance I have sympathy to the cub fan argument that it wasn’t that egregious

So the catcher is fair game?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/KeithOlbermann/status/919381126292131841

https://twitter.com/NifMuhammad/status/919401735227142145

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
The organist at Dodger Stadium has gotta be the same as the one at Staples Center

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

I think Puig is hilarious, people are dumb

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004

Wuet88 posted:

So the catcher is fair game?

Huh?

I mean, you’re not required to give a base runner a “safe lane” if you’re receiving a throw at 2nd or 3rd. Are you?

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Is Lackey going to bean him?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Russell flying through 2b haha

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Neighborhood play is dead

holylemon
May 24, 2004

Dude, have you ever touched a dolphin?

Fun Shoe

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

Huh?

I mean, you’re not required to give a base runner a “safe lane” if you’re receiving a throw at 2nd or 3rd. Are you?

Uh, yes? Do you see any other bases being blocked?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

TMMadman posted:

Is Lackey going to bean him?

I'm very surprised he didnt

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

The last year an NL Central team wasn't in the NLCS was 2010. :getin: That being said, I'm a little skeptical about Cubs dominance for that long; the pitching seems suspect, the Brewers have a pretty good youth movement coming and the Cardinals are betting pretty hard on their young pitching. Alex Reyes looked incredible last year, remember, and Luke Weaver's really coming into his own as well.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

Hendricks becomes a UFA in 2021
Bryant, Rizzo, Russell, Baez, and Schwarber become UFAs in 2022
Contreras and Almora become UFAs in 2023

This core's gonna be around for a long time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
hey, Lackey helped us out. Recharge for tomorrow.

• Locked thread