Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

It's amazing how nothing about this segment works. It's just a totally bad mish-mash of half-baked ideas. Like I get you're not going to make Persona, but surely there are more engaging ways to go about this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

Dedicated hardware sass processing is so very twenty years ago

the new hotness is AI smartass software that learns to construct ever more witty and incisive putdowns, aka “emergent dunking”

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
My assumption with the Mind Dungeon sections has always really been that they were supposed to be some attempt to grant more dimension and background to Alex's character, because the Dungeon Master is almost guaranteed to be him. Partially because Marlene's monologue could easily describe Alex. "Willed to escape, and got far away" being code for "went to college" seems like what I'd expect.

Also "do you realize how many thoughts he has". Because if I'm right, the answer is 100% yes, and he has way too many thoughts.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

Cyouni posted:

Also "do you realize how many thoughts he has". Because if I'm right, the answer is 100% yes, and he has way too many thoughts.

I don't think Alex has that many thoughts. That's just the narration of his senses in the form of a monologue. Then another monologue, and then more.

diacorn
Aug 6, 2016

Now that we've run out of character development to do, we're going to be polishing off sidequests for the next couple episodes, or until I get so bored with it that it doesn't seem fair to subject you all to it.

We've locked ourselves out of a couple of them already. We can't talk to Collectible Pog Guy because we didn't collect all ten pogs, and I'm not about to go looking for all of them. Same with the flyers for Semi (Which, by the way, really disappointed me, because I would have loved to have Poster Lady tell me why she couldn't give me the remaining places to put them). At this rate, we may actually run out of stuff to do before the 31st.

Since I've never played this game before, I can't tell you whether or not we're actually overleveled, but since LP Toss chumps everything in the game at this point, it may or may not matter. I'm expecting that the endgame will take us to KNN, but it's too early to tell what that'll involve, given how little Essentia's told us about how this whole "end of days" thing works.

While we're on the topic of superfluous, shallow events, what's the deal with the FFVII shout-out? Literally none of this has any bearing on the plot at hand. What does Aerith even have to do with Semi? What's the significance of the Council of Alex around the grave site? Why does it show up in Alex's front yard?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
My guess is watching Aeris die is probably the saddest thing that Alex ever experienced (other than the failure of underrated indie gem Two Brothers, of course), which would be the most Alex-like experience.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
The K in KNN stands for Korean. It's the news station where Semi Pak was going to start work (this is all in one of the ONISM posts you may not have spent much time reading), so of course, this being YIIK, it has to be a network dedicated entirely to Korean news.

The Final Fantasy VII cameo, much like everything else in this game as far as I'm concerned, seems to be there to make you wonder why it's there without having any actual significance. That way, the game seems deep and engaging to people who don't bother to think about the content very much, while anyone who actually is searching for meaning in this game is going to conclude that there's none anyway, so there's no point in trying to do anything actually deep to impress them. Maybe I'm a little too cynical, but knowing what I know about this game and its creation, I don't think so.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

As a dude who saw this game before, the final boss is a joke and you are totally ready for him and all of the preceding bullshit. So have no fear on that front.

Nidoking posted:

The Final Fantasy VII cameo, much like everything else in this game as far as I'm concerned, seems to be there to make you wonder why it's there without having any actual significance. That way, the game seems deep and engaging to people who don't bother to think about the content very much, while anyone who actually is searching for meaning in this game is going to conclude that there's none anyway, so there's no point in trying to do anything actually deep to impress them. Maybe I'm a little too cynical, but knowing what I know about this game and its creation, I don't think so.

Yeah it's just trying to create emotions by proxy. You felt sad when Aeith died so obv you should feel sad that Sami is apparently dead.

diacorn
Aug 6, 2016

More sidequests! Fortunately we're running out of them, and I'm not going to ask you all to sit through the remaining two weeks of waiting for the end of the world.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

right in the manhole

diacorn
Aug 6, 2016

Hey everyone! Sorry for the late notice, but I'll be postponing the release of this coming episode to next week. Despite my best efforts, I haven't yet been able to gather enough :airquote: interesting :airquote: footage in the back half of the game to constitute an episode. Expect next week to start into the end-endgame!

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

diacorn posted:

Hey everyone! Sorry for the late notice, but I'll be postponing the release of this coming episode to next week. Despite my best efforts, I haven't yet been able to gather enough :airquote: interesting :airquote: footage in the back half of the game to constitute an episode. Expect next week to start into the end-endgame!
Im really looking forward to your reactions.

diacorn
Aug 6, 2016

Well we did get to the endgame, though not quite in the way I was expecting. Seriously though, I have officially exhausted the list of stuff to do and am pretty sure I've gotten at least 95 percent of the available XP for one playthrough. (I have a few videos recorded and can confirm that next episode is where the real endgame starts.

For the sake of brevity and getting to the endgame faster, I did cut out a bit of our seafaring escapade. The video footage didn't show it, but if you go south of east of the Statue of Liberty, you can find this weirdly low-poly city on an island across a bridge-causeway-thing extending out of the southern tip of the continent:

It can't be accessed and in fact doesn't seem to have collision.

If you keep going further, as I mentioned in the video, you'll eventually fall out of the map:

diacorn fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Sep 14, 2019

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

Some of the youtube comments mentioned it and I know ModeWondershot already knows about this, but the lighthouse dungeon was a cut tutorial dungeon where you played as the Essentia and you would have to fight the boss at the end. (Which would also softlock due to trying to load a map that's no longer in the game's files.) Before the second most recent patch (ver. 1.06), you could glitch your way to the lighthouse, but you couldn't interact with it, and the only reason you can now is due to the Allanson brothers trying to patch in the mysterious third ending piece by piece which is why you'll still soft lock after reaching the top and a number of the scripts in that dungeon don't work anymore. So basically, you stumbled into this game's unfinished DLC.

Also, Micheal's Signpost sidequest can only be done in that deadend next to Micheal's house, at night. Which iirc, there's only one instance where you could actually do that; and that's after you obtain Mytical Ultima LP Legend and you go to talk to Vella at the park. I guess you might be able to go back to Frankton after entering the sewer dungeon, but the enemy they pit you against was fairly beefy for a level 20 Alex much less a level 9 Alex.

Combat Lobster fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Sep 14, 2019

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

BTW if you had Chondra or Claudio in your party the cops would only attack them. Cause they're black, see.

And you did indeed stumble onto the path towards the third ending of the game, the one that is totally in the game we're serious honest just you wait guys. And the figure at the end is not the final boss of that ending. Because Allanson cobbled it together from available assets.

diacorn
Aug 6, 2016

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

It does indeed imply that, and also remember the rules Vella said about talking to the dead in her world?

Roy and Jane are from Two Brothers, ACKK's previous work. They are husband and wife, she dies in the beginning of the game, Roy becomes depressed to the point of suicide, in the afterlife sees beautiful colours and is sent back to Earth for some strange reason. Thus starts his quest to collect all the colours. The game is not available on Steam anymore on the grounds of being buggy as poo poo.

I'm prob repeating myself, but eh it's been a few months prob

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

If Michael moved to Frankton when he was 12, in 1991, and it's supposed to be the end of 1999 now, and he's 19, then something seems weird about those numbers.
Also Michael apparently moved away when Alex was 12, and Alex is older than Michael, so Michael moved away before he moved there?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Cyouni posted:

If Michael moved to Frankton when he was 12, in 1991, and it's supposed to be the end of 1999 now, and he's 19, then something seems weird about those numbers.
Also Michael apparently moved away when Alex was 12, and Alex is older than Michael, so Michael moved away before he moved there?

Michael is a fake and it's not actually 1999, it's 2017 and the whole game is in Alex's head.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Sep 21, 2019

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Cyouni posted:

Remember, Andrew Allanson has flip flopped several times on whether the whole 1999 thing is just a metaphor or is an actual date. So nothing really adds up at all. Ever.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I'm left with a lot of questions and the feeling there will be no satisfactory answers to any of them.

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

Merry Christmas, guys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRgMXmDrZwE

ModeWondershot
Dec 30, 2014

Portu-geezer
Well, now that I'm over that cold, I suppose I can reflect on the reaffirmed knowledge that the curse of the majority of textual analyses is that eventually you have to talk about someone's penis.

Yeah, the inability of the authors to stay consistent on timeline is pretty well-documented by now. Again, this is why the knowledge that they used the actual December calendar month from 1999 came as such a surprise.

Mega64 posted:

I'm left with a lot of questions and the feeling there will be no satisfactory answers to any of them.

That's cause this story is a game of Three-card Monte being played by the authors against the audience. The plot is revealed and then shuffled into a pile of cards where it is hidden by sleight of hand while the authors say a bunch of words that don't matter to distract the audience. Then the audience picks a card that leads them nowhere, and the whole thing happens again. The only purpose of the game is for the author to steal money from the audience.

In retrospect I think Melanie might have been directed to say that line as though she were trying to hide Vella's rage. Her rage of course being at the fact that she has to spend Christmas in the company of the rest of the cast.

blinkeve1826
Jul 26, 2005

WELCOME TO THE NEW DEATH

ModeWondershot posted:

In retrospect I think Melanie might have been directed to say that line as though she were trying to hide Vella's rage. Her rage of course being at the fact that she has to spend Christmas in the company of the rest of the cast.

Also I'm super Jewish

ModeWondershot
Dec 30, 2014

Portu-geezer

blinkeve1826 posted:

Also I'm super Jewish

Ah, well that would explain it too. Any other fun insights into the experience of VO performance for this game?

blinkeve1826
Jul 26, 2005

WELCOME TO THE NEW DEATH

ModeWondershot posted:

Ah, well that would explain it too. Any other fun insights into the experience of VO performance for this game?

Nah

blinkeve1826
Jul 26, 2005

WELCOME TO THE NEW DEATH
In all seriousness: Despite what ended up becoming of the game and its reception, I'm proud of my own performance in it. I quite liked Vella as a character (what I was able to know about her, anyway--I only saw my own parts when we recorded. I never saw the full script) and was pleasantly surprised to see that even the most critical reviews that mentioned Vella commended her and my voice acting. And I remember thinking back when I was preparing for the role that there was a lot of potential in the ideas and the passion I saw from the creators.

That all said, even if any of the insights I had were fun, I recorded for YIIK nearly five years ago and it's been out for a while, so I've mostly much moved on from thinking/talking about it and now I'm just here for the :yiikes: jokes (please don't stop making them)

P.S. :actually: is My Favorite Thing

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

blinkeve1826 posted:

In all seriousness: Despite what ended up becoming of the game and its reception, I'm proud of my own performance in it. I quite liked Vella as a character (what I was able to know about her, anyway--I only saw my own parts when we recorded. I never saw the full script) and was pleasantly surprised to see that even the most critical reviews that mentioned Vella commended her and my voice acting. And I remember thinking back when I was preparing for the role that there was a lot of potential in the ideas and the passion I saw from the creators.

That all said, even if any of the insights I had were fun, I recorded for YIIK nearly five years ago and it's been out for a while, so I've mostly much moved on from thinking/talking about it and now I'm just here for the :yiikes: jokes (please don't stop making them)

P.S. :actually: is My Favorite Thing

Five years. Christ, the game really WAS in development hell forever, wasn’t it. I’ve repeatedly said that there really is an interesting idea or two hidden inside YiiK, but Andrew just needed a good editor or a little more introspection to cut out most of the bloat and repetition. That said, yeah, Vella was the best part of the game and you knocked it out of the park voicing her.

Sadly though between this LP and GrandmaParty’s I think we’ve plumbed the depths of stuff to go :yiikes: at... Unless Andrew drops a fourth ending on us or something. (Or actually publishes the Third Ending for real)

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

blinkeve1826 posted:

(what I was able to know about her, anyway--I only saw my own parts when we recorded. I never saw the full script)

I will never understand why people do this to voice actors. It universally makes reads awkward as all hell when the actor clearly has no idea what they're responding to.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

blinkeve1826 posted:

Also I'm super Jewish
Can confirm, I either went to a Shabbat dinner that you hosted when you lived in NYC or I expressed interest in it when you posted about one in the LAN thread. Also, I had no idea you did voice acting. I'm glad that you're proud of your work in spite of the general Yuk-ness of it all.

People in GrandmaParty's thread mentioned the all-over-the-place quality of the voice acting. Was it recorded all at once or just scattershot?

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

get that OUT of my face posted:

Can confirm, I either went to a Shabbat dinner that you hosted when you lived in NYC or I expressed interest in it when you posted about one in the LAN thread. Also, I had no idea you did voice acting. I'm glad that you're proud of your work in spite of the general Yuk-ness of it all.

People in GrandmaParty's thread mentioned the all-over-the-place quality of the voice acting. Was it recorded all at once or just scattershot?

That's rad as hell actually. Tribesman checking in

How'd the film go, Ms. Melanie?

diacorn
Aug 6, 2016

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

God there is so much here.

First, the cardinal rule of magical reality: do not ever have a character go "whoah man this is so crazy it's nothing like our regular world!" This is betraying your audience's willful suspension of disbelief.

Second, that meteorite fight is hilariously bad

Third, you cannot have the characters act like they forgot what happened without any sort of additional dialogue or context. Like come on, give us a clue.

That Persona 3 comparison was on point especially since you can see how the town changes over time. So you can see things getting hosed up in real time. This is like if we went from the dorm with Nyx graffiti to the Dark Hour and then back.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Forty minutes of Alex monologues...

...and we're still not done?

:shepicide:

e: Alex screaming at a stuffed panda almost made it all worth it though.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
The first sting in the music playing right after he was screaming for Panda is very A Love Story.

diacorn
Aug 6, 2016

We did it, thread! We've reached the end of the game, or an end, at least. As I mentioned in the video, there's apparently another ending I could have gotten to if I'd seen any reason to go explore on New Year's Eve. Usually I'm happy to fall on the sword in defense of this game's questionable design decisions for the sake of keeping discussion going, but I didn't really see a reason to go outside after I'd done all the Monster Dens and exhausted the remaining sources of XP in the world.

You all were right, by the way: I was totally prepared for the final boss. In fact, I'd venture to say I should have done less grinding, as there was about seven minutes of footage I cut out of the last fight of not-Vella trying to nuke the party with Feedback and several crits that even Alex survived.

I'm sorry that I didn't tell MW ahead of time that this was the end of the game. (He was clearly distraught.) All in all, though, I was impressed by the abruptness of the ending, much in the way that I'm impressed by word-count-length news articles. Once it's reached an arbitrary 20-hour game length to put on the box, the game drops everything, has Alex give one last monologue for old time's sake, and then rolls credits. No post-credits stinger, either. Some part of me was hoping that some magical piece of plot would come along that ties everything up with a nice bow.

While I really want to like a game that's not afraid to make fun of itself, I do take some exception to the oh-so-clever implication that I, Diacorn, goon and video gamer extraordinaire, resemble Alex. First off, that looks nothing like me. Second, I hope MW would have the decency of letting me know ahead of time if I'm going to start breaking reality. (We're solutions-oriented on this show.) Also, what objective did Ackk accomplish by having the protagonist of their last game lecture us? Was it to try and get one last "don't hate me 'cause you ain't me" shot in at their haters, or does Roy occupy some unique position in the multiverse? Is it the Ackk-verse at the point? Allansonverse?

Thank you, everyone, for slogging through this game with us. It's been... something.

diacorn fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Oct 5, 2019

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I'm concluding that this isn't a game about postmodernism or Alex or anything. It's about Allanson. This game is the equivalent of being inside Allanson's head. This is all the poo poo that he likes and all the poo poo that had an inspiration or impact on him.
Simultaneously, this game was also supposed to be a bit triumph, a way to stick it to the haters who tried to tear him down.

If I was to guess, I would say Allanson had the ending planned out first, the beginning was likely second. He knew how he wanted the story to begin and end, he just couldn't make the middle; which is why that poo poo has so much filler.

I understand the desire for recognition, but i ask again, was Andrew really that proud of Two Brothers? Because from the way it seemed, he was burned out on it, creatively and emotionally.
And like I know he has his fans. Read these reviews; the negative ones have a lot of good things to say about 2Bros: https://store.steampowered.com/app/259760/Two_Brothers/ so who were these mysterious "they" who were trying to stop them? Okay yes, there are deffo assholes on the internet and a lagging Kickstarter campaign + unhappy customer base would certainly kill your love for the medium, but these people aren't haters; they paid money for your product after all.

I think this was a game where Allanson wanted to play the part of the redemptive hero in his life, where he pushed everything away and succeeded no matter who was against him. That was his mythology. And I deffo think the chud crowd he got in with, like that Dick Masterson douchebag, helped cement that personal narrative for him.

Chromophore has been 76% complete since 2017 and I am sure that's a lie. I don't see it ever coming out. How's that for a hollow speech from Roy?

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

If I were to spend some time to think about it, and attempt to describe the plot of the game and what it's generally about, I end up having to say I have 0 idea. Like, I have absolutely no idea what the whole end of the game was about, what it was supposed to mean in the whole picture of the rest of the narrative, the mechanics of the world, what even the Essentia is aside from a water filter, what''s up with the crow, or really anything. It's just an utter jumble of ideas thrown together and called a game.

I assume Female Alex would have come up if you'd picked the female option at the beginning.

As a side note, aligning the list with the description of who people were supposed to be:
Michael: A friend smarter than you, but wouldn't draw attention to that fact
Vella: Coolest girl you know
Rory: A friend who's your polar opposite
Claudio: Nerdiest guy you know
Chondra: Friend who's always there
Essentia: Favourite piece of technology

I have no idea what that's supposed to mean, but some of these descriptions are clearly more accurate than others.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Cyouni posted:

If I were to spend some time to think about it, and attempt to describe the plot of the game and what it's generally about, I end up having to say I have 0 idea. Like, I have absolutely no idea what the whole end of the game was about, what it was supposed to mean in the whole picture of the rest of the narrative, the mechanics of the world, what even the Essentia is aside from a water filter, what''s up with the crow, or really anything. It's just an utter jumble of ideas thrown together and called a game.

I assume Female Alex would have come up if you'd picked the female option at the beginning.

As a side note, aligning the list with the description of who people were supposed to be:
Michael: A friend smarter than you, but wouldn't draw attention to that fact
Vella: Coolest girl you know
Rory: A friend who's your polar opposite
Claudio: Nerdiest guy you know
Chondra: Friend who's always there
Essentia: Favourite piece of technology

I have no idea what that's supposed to mean, but some of these descriptions are clearly more accurate than others.

Vella, Rory and Claudio's are all spot on. Vella's cool as hell, Rory is perpetual victim while Alex is a serial victimizer, and Claudio is perhaps the biggest weeb I've ever seen, real or imagined. I'd struggle to actually call Michael "smart", maybe smarter than Alex but then again a Roomba fits that description too. And Chodra doesn't seem so much "always there for you" as "tacked on through circumstance and just can't get away".

Also I stand by my choice at the start of Grandma's LP--I'd take the Low-Orbit Ion Cannon over an Essentia of any version number any time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

That was loving stupid.

Thanks for showing off and enduring this game! Glad you tried to give it a fair shake, and I'm glad to know that Diacorn would utterly kick my rear end in a fight.