Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

picture from toronto of tonight's weird smoke sky:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

GolfHole posted:

picture from toronto of tonight's weird smoke sky:

I remember many hazy days like that in Sydney during last summer's bushfires. You could taste them despite them being far away.

Not Skynet
Jul 10, 2012
One of the people I went to field school with is now big into posting Qanon stuff on Facebook and she put up an image recently of what was clearly meant to be specifically a map of US fires saying something like "It's crazy how global warming knows not to cross the Canadian border"

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Not Skynet posted:

One of the people I went to field school with is now big into posting Qanon stuff on Facebook and she put up an image recently of what was clearly meant to be specifically a map of US fires saying something like "It's crazy how global warming knows not to cross the Canadian border"

That's a thing now.

https://twitter.com/JordanUhl/status/1305951071056080897?s=19

Q dipshits are genuinely mystified as to why the Mexican desert doesn't have any forest fires.

They also can't figure out why extremely rainy, cool climates with a heavily socialized government are better at combating forest fires than the country where the president literally doesn't send aid to states that voted against him and whose aerial firefighting equipment is deployed to Afghanistan.

e: also, the worst of the fires are being fought by ill-equipped slaves

The Anime Liker fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Sep 16, 2020

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

A HORNY SWEARENGEN posted:

That's a thing now.

Q dipshits are genuinely mystified as to why the Mexican desert doesn't have any forest fires.

They also can't figure out why extremely rainy, cool climates with a heavily socialized government are better at combating forest fires than the country where the president literally doesn't send aid to states that voted against him and whose aerial firefighting equipment is deployed to Afghanistan.

Baja and such burns too just fyi.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Telsa Cola posted:

Baja and such burns too just fyi.

Well yes, but unlike the third world banana republic north of them, Mexico sees a problem like "a huge section of our country is on fire" and does this crazy thing where they respond to the problem with manpower and equipment.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Well yes, but unlike the third world banana republic north of them, Mexico sees a problem like "a huge section of our country is on fire" and does this crazy thing where they respond to the problem with manpower and equipment.

Yeah, I just wanted to point it out.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

lmbo as if BC doesn't get wildfires every year. We've just had a very mild season for them.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Coughed up a nice grey louggie this morning.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
Ahahaha, going outside much? Nooope, wasn't ever gonna do that again
haha woohoo, this is awful and its never going to end

I just walk around taping up the gaps in my house, like that's gonna do anything really.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It’s cool how every time thousands of federal employees are irrefutably going to have to face hate crime and conspiracy charges another big disaster happens and we have to forget all about it for a while.

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Caught between two worlds...
lmao

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

The smoke's finally let up here to the point where I can see the outline of the hills near my apartment through it.

naem
May 29, 2011

sf had a few hours of clean air today, got a nice jog in. will prob smoke back up soon

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I could very briefly see blue skies in Vancouver yesterday but we're back to nothing but smoke.

it doesn't help that as soon as all the smoke from the States rolled in the pier in New West started burning

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

naem posted:

sf had a few hours of clean air today, got a nice jog in. will prob smoke back up soon

I really need to go on one. Between being on the mend from the 'rona all spring and summer and the smoke now I've obliterated all the progress I made getting my weight down at the start of the year and then some. I'm just glad the homemade face mask also works for smoke.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

That's a thing now.

e: also, the worst of the fires are being fought by ill-equipped slaves

also the fires are spreading north of the border but the maps made with US government data shockingly don't show fires in a whole other loving country

feller
Jul 5, 2006

esperterra posted:

I could very briefly see blue skies in Vancouver yesterday but we're back to nothing but smoke.

it doesn't help that as soon as all the smoke from the States rolled in the pier in New West started burning

who is that in your av? It's driving me nuts that I can't place her. BoA?

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

is it possible to build a house that can withstand these fires? it’d be pretty sick if you could just duck into the basement and come back up when the fires stop

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

yikes! posted:

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
durr i looked at a map of usa wildfires and the wildfires stopped at the border :tinfoil:

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
heh check out those chode points

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Vegetable posted:

is it possible to build a house that can withstand these fires? it’d be pretty sick if you could just duck into the basement and come back up when the fires stop
I was going to jokingly suggest the heat shielding from the space shuttle, but a cursory googling suggests the wildfires can actually get a bit hotter than atmospheric re-entry

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

yikes! posted:

It's Shania Twain. No relation to Mark Twain.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Vegetable posted:

Theoretically a deep enough basement would protect you with proper insulation. For the upstairs I'm picturing some kind of ceramic dome with interior and exterior shutters for the windows.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

the queen herself

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Vegetable posted:

It's not a house thing, its an entire property thing.

https://www.readyforwildfire.org/prepare-for-wildfire/get-ready/defensible-space/

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

lake, submarine

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

The thing you have to remember is that it gets incredibly hot just being near big fires like these. You could keep all the smoke and flames out and still cook to death.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Soil is actually a pretty good insulator and heat transfer can be more of a function of how long the fire sticks in once place rather than intensity, Im trying to find exact numbers but If I remember correctly you're probably fine temperature wise at a pretty shallow depth.

Soil composition/moisture also has a pretty big impact too.

Edit: Yeah, heat transfer drops off widely with depth, one study had 350 Centigrade on the surface and 7 Centigrade 3.5 centimeters down. Another had temperatures halve 10 centimeters down.

A meter of soil above you and the fire and you are probably fine.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Sep 17, 2020

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Wildland Firefighters have historically just ducked into low-lying areas if they get cut off.

A forest fire still follows the rule of heat rises, but they also get big enough they create updrafts.

So if you're completely hosed with no other alternative, run to the lowest elevation in your immediate area and hope for the best. If you're lucky it'll be a trench or a creek at least deep enough to lay in. If you're extremely lucky there's a hole or overhang. But general principle is go downward, never, ever uphill.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

You could totally build a structure that would survive wild fire. It wouldn't be a house per se, but you could totally make a structure out of asbestos bricks or heat-resistant concrete and it would absolutely make it through a fire. As for ventilating it and not dying of CO poisoning/heat, that would be another a pretty penny but you could definitely engineer a solution.

Or just buy a missile silo. Ironically, this whole thought process is how Ed Pulaski got his name attached to the tool. He and his crew survived a burn over because he shoved them into an old exploratory mine on a hillside and held them at gunpoint until the flames had passed. He lost one to CO poisoning but the rest of his crew survived to tell the tale.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Wildland Firefighters have historically just ducked into low-lying areas if they get cut off.

A forest fire still follows the rule of heat rises, but they also get big enough they create updrafts.

So if you're completely hosed with no other alternative, run to the lowest elevation in your immediate area and hope for the best. If you're lucky it'll be a trench or a creek at least deep enough to lay in. If you're extremely lucky there's a hole or overhang. But general principle is go downward, never, ever uphill.

This is wrong.

I was on the Thomas Fire in 2017 when something like this occured. A crew was building hand line on the downhill side of the fire when the afternoon wind pushed the fire downhill at upwards of thirty miles an hour. The crew ran for the safety zone (a barren rocky area perpendicular to themselves on the slope). One of the less experienced guys panicked and ran downhill and was killed by the advancing flame front. I was there in the dining hall when his pregnant widow and young son came to the memorial they set up for him there. It was...hard.

General principles for escaping an advancing flame front: Don't put yourself in a position to be encircled by an advancing flame front. Fire crews must have an escape route to a safety zone (an area where they can survive without deploying their fire shelters) at all times. One of the tasks that is handed out before the fire crew even begins their attack is to set up lookouts to watch the flame front and to tell the crew when its time to leave. As a civilian in such a situation, if you find yourself thinking "Maybe it's time to leave" GET IN THE loving CAR AND GO HOLY poo poo. Don't wait until the firefighters are slamming on your door at 3 AM telling you to leave or die, leave before that even becomes a possibility.

In a serious enough situation, with hot enough flames, you are dead. I'd like to reiterate this: the superheated gases coming from the fire will kill you long before the flame front reaches you. If you find yourself encircled by a fire, 9.9 times in ten, you are flat out a charred corpse. There is no magic you can do, no hidden trick that's firefighters don't want you to know, you're loving dead. Period.

A Festivus Miracle fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Sep 17, 2020

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

A White Guy posted:

This is wrong.

So if you're a wildland firefighter (or a civilian) and everything just goes tits up, like catastrophically wrong and there's no other option, you're surrounded, what do you do?

I've only ever worked in metro fire so we just gloss over this stuff in training, but I explicitly remember being told to lay in a ditch because going uphill is certain death, and in the olden days before aerial surveillance that poo poo could happen.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

A White Guy posted:

This is wrong.

I was on the Thomas Fire in 2017 when something like this occured. A crew was building hand line on the downhill side of the fire when the afternoon wind pushed the fire downhill at upwards of thirty miles an hour. The crew ran for the safety zone (a barren rocky area perpendicular to themselves on the slope). One of the less experienced guys panicked and ran downhill and was killed by the advancing flame front. I was there in the dining hall when his pregnant widow and young son came to the memorial they set up for him there. It was...hard.

General principles for escaping an advancing flame front: Don't put yourself in a position to be encircled by an advancing flame front. Fire crews must have an escape route to a safety zone (an area where they can survive without deploying their fire shelters) at all times. One of the tasks that is handed out before the fire crew even begins their attack is to set up lookouts to watch the flame front and to tell the crew when its time to leave. As a civilian in such a situation, if you find yourself thinking "Maybe it's time to leave" GET IN THE loving CAR AND GO HOLY poo poo. Don't wait until the firefighters are slamming on your door at 3 AM telling you to leave or die, leave before that even becomes a possibility.

In a serious enough situation, with hot enough flames, you are dead. I'd like to reiterate this: the superheated gases coming from the fire will kill you long before the flame front reaches you. If you find yourself encircled by a fire, 9.9 times in ten, you are flat out a charred corpse. There is no magic you can do, no hidden trick that's firefighters don't want you to know, you're loving dead. Period.

He is not actually wrong, in the absence of preplanned saftey zones and in worst case scenarios you head down hill rather than up hill because fire literally spreads slower downhill. Obviously winds can and will change this, but that is not always a given and if the wind is against you then yeah all bets are off.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Sep 17, 2020

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
the underlying dealio of climate change is more energy in system causing more inequality and unpredictability in system, all the way down to more and more unpredictable winds

so the downhill advice will literally get worse as hellworld begins in earnest

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

bob dobbs is dead posted:

the underlying dealio of climate change is more energy in system causing more inequality and unpredictability in system, all the way down to more and more unpredictable winds

so the downhill advice will literally get worse as hellworld begins in earnest

I highly, highly doubt that its going to make it a worse idea than running up hill in this binary downhill/uphill situation.

Is it going to have less of a success rate? Maybe, but its still going to be better than the alternative.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Sep 17, 2020

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
The important thing here is firefighters use every resource at their disposal to make sure they don't actually get swallowed up by the fire, so maybe take their advice if you're a civilian and GTFO when they tell you to.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

The important thing here is firefighters use every resource at their disposal to make sure they don't actually get swallowed up by the fire, so maybe take their advice if you're a civilian and GTFO when they tell you to.

Absolutely, its best to just not to be in these situations in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

So if you're a wildland firefighter (or a civilian) and everything just goes tits up, like catastrophically wrong and there's no other option, you're surrounded, what do you do?

I've only ever worked in metro fire so we just gloss over this stuff in training, but I explicitly remember being told to lay in a ditch because going uphill is certain death, and in the olden days before aerial surveillance that poo poo could happen.

Well, if you're a firefighter with your fire shelter, grab the shelter, and toss the rest of that poo poo, take your pulaski, and try to get as much of the top soil off as you can, then you throw the tool and deploy, and hope and pray you live through it. Odds are you're probably flat out dead, but with the fire shelter, the odds are slightly better. Even if you do live through it, you're going to have 3rd degree burns to huge chunks of your body in a suitably hot enough fire. If it's a grass fire where the flame lengths aren't that big, I've heard of firefighter using their fire shelter like a makeshift shield to literally run through the flame front. Modern fire shelters are way better than the 1st gen tents they made back in the 80s, far tougher and more heat resistant. They will protect you (as much as is possible) from the radiant heat of the flame front, and keep you from breathing super heated gas, but they won't do much for actual conductive heat (flames). Ergo, you need to try to clear down to dirt as much space around you to keep the flames from blasting your fire shelter directly. Though, if you are surrounded, by this point you probably won't have the luxury of time, and you're just gonna have to hope things pan out.

If you're just the unlucky dude who doesn't have any of that, well, I guess the only left to do is make peace with the universe, because what comes after that ain't much fun.

A Festivus Miracle fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Sep 17, 2020