Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
If you ever hope to be married you must observe pardah, anything else is haram. How will your family find you a nice spouse if you don't respect women?

Vitruvian Manic fucked around with this message at 18:18 on May 1, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same
Some women dont wanna run too long before they're caught safe and sound against my strong powerful body and why should i make them

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Vitruvian Manic posted:

fully vtuberized with bun hair and lettuce nose cheese lips and hamburger tongue

Foreverially online persona, fully permanent polygon body. Foreverially fully virtual.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

satanic splash-back posted:

Birds just fly around screaming that they want gently caress and they seem to do just fine, don't know why we can't go back to that system.

One of the birds near me has something hosed up with it, and instead of a pretty I'M HOT AND WANT TO gently caress call like the other competitors, its call sounds like an old lifetime smoker who drinks too much.

I'm sorry buddy, you're gonna be a bird incel. No bird ladies are going to bite on that one. Much higher value chad birds around.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Sanctum posted:

People mean different things when they using the same terms.

Approaching strangers to ask them out could mean inappropriately hitting on them, flirting with a weirdly specific compliment that makes them feel uncomfortable, or talking to them like a normal person and then asking them if they wanna grab coffee sometime without being a creep about it.

:shrug:

it's entirely location specific whether normal people talk to each other

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

My favorite place to approach women is in dark alleys and parking garages but women seem scared. Am I doing this wrong?

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
It's the lurking and creeping that's ruining your game here.

You gotta come running out of shadows at them while babbling all your compliments, date ideas, and your future marriage plans really quickly to override their defenses and secure the date.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Comstar posted:

How bad is OKCupid? I found MY WIFE through it before they got bought out by BIG DATING and I have heard it's a lot worse now.

is this true?
Last time I checked it combined the matching/stack function of Tinder while still allowing you to search people in your area or for specific criteria. If you find a profile you like through searching, you can't message them, but you can indicate that you like them, which will send your profile to the top of their swiping stack. If you both Like each other you can then message. In theory I think this is a good system. The matching systems remove the initial anxiety of sending the first message and also, due to the natural unbalanced ratio of men:women on dating apps, prevent women's inboxes from being flooded by every man in their area. They, of course, couldn't leave it like that though and made much of the site's functionality behind paywalls. That, on top of already fallen out of favor behind stuff like Tinder, Hinge, and Bumble, makes the whole thing pretty useless.

The original OkCupid was probably the best dating site ever. A genuine matching system that wasn't driven by behind the scenes algorithms but rather the answers you voluntarily entered. The more you'd answer, the better it would match you with someone. The questions also enabled you to filter out people you absolutely didn't want or serious red flags by allowing you to place importance on answers. It was free and IIRC I don't even think it even had ads, and very few spam/bot accounts. Of course, the comprehensive matching system meant it would suck just a little bit more to find someone you had like a 98% match with and still have them ignore your message.

The current version retains the question matching, but the new Tinder-like approach kind of negates its purpose.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Poohs Packin posted:

Maybe you should just get over yourself and lend your body to the cause of adding a bit of excitement to a likely doomed and stale marriage.

I mean, ultimately I did lol

Bad Purchase posted:

i met her on the Burgr app

I wish there was an app just for people who eat burgers full time so I could at long last my perfect match, all I eat is cheeseburgers with fries and bacon non-stop.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Last time I checked it combined the matching/stack function of Tinder while still allowing you to search people in your area or for specific criteria.

They removed that. You can now only set preferences that supposedly affects who ends up in your stacks. But even people you swipe no on will be back the next week, so...

Oh yeah, also 80% of all accounts are east asian bots now for some reason (same with facebook dating).

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Mars China needs women!

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

That sounds dire

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
One tip that works for me is that I tell them I have a Horde level 60 Paladin.

Jokes on them though, its actually Alliance.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

happyhippy posted:

One tip that works for me is that I tell them I have a Horde level 60 Paladin.

Jokes on them though, its actually Alliance.

why would you need to bother with dates if you play a paladin? the class is uniquely designed to eliminate that need. this has been solved since 2005.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lol I had forgotten about that post

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

rofl i never seend it

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 3 days!)

War and Pieces posted:

it's entirely location specific whether normal people talk to each other

i think 90% of the people on these forums probably qualify as normal people whether they like it or not. you take a poster in full sicko mode and put them in a room full of people and they're just going to sit there and make slightly self-conscious small talk like everyone else. the internet is a funhouse mirror.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

I'm talking like New York vs Atlanta, every city has its own unspoken rules wether you can talk to ppl on the bus without being a freak

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
I'm just going to leave the room tbh and like look at birds outside or some poo poo.

If the doors are locked and I'm trapped with an uber-goon, I'll have to canvass everyone to find out their skills and mental states, and work on an escape/containment plan with the sane and useful ones.

I'm not staying in here.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Is it wrong to try to pick up girls in a dungeon?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

The Butcher posted:

I'm just going to leave the room tbh and like look at birds outside or some poo poo.

If the doors are locked and I'm trapped with an uber-goon, I'll have to canvass everyone to find out their skills and mental states, and work on an escape/containment plan with the sane and useful ones.

I'm not staying in here.

You will open the door and find yourself staring into the abyss

Pie in the Sky
Apr 16, 2009

whoops here we go again

I used dating apps for years in big cities and it just chipped away at my self-esteem like most people, even when I was lucky enough to get matches/dates. But eventually I found out it just wasn't for me and I decided to take a break. I got a dog to help me get out in the world more and eventually this led me to a doggy daycare where one of the managers and I started talking one day as I picked him up. After a few visits we kept seeing each other--we had good banter and it felt comfortable--and one day we both got the courage to ask each other out for coffee. She's my wife now and things are amazing.

I think dating apps can be good for one thing: playing the numbers game. But that takes too much of a toll for some people. I think those types of folks may underestimate the value of the real world and just getting out and doing activities and participating in things that you like. This inevitably brings you into contact with more people and people who have things in common with you. And it's easier to determine chemistry and comfortability with people in person. It's scary as gently caress--I've had pretty bad social anxiety my whole life--but it's worth it!

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Meme Poker Party posted:

Roll for strength check. Scared maiden will roll for "does my 911 call go through?"

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Meme Poker Party posted:

if they work there, yes. otherwise go for it.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

When people ask me what book I'm reading, and they ALWAYS do, I tell them it's the book SEX by MADONNA!

I'm not into that sex stuff

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

roomtone posted:

i think 90% of the people on these forums probably qualify as normal people whether they like it or not. you take a poster in full sicko mode and put them in a room full of people and they're just going to sit there and make slightly self-conscious small talk like everyone else. the internet is a funhouse mirror.

There's certainly a case to be made that the 00's goon was some special type of internet troll but yeah I bet most goons now are just extremely boring normal people irl with the caveat that they like to repeat they're goons and make self-deprecating jokes that are way past expiration date.

STABASS
Apr 18, 2009

Fun Shoe
has everyone itt paired off yet? any "leftover action" for me to get in on?

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

may I just add that the critical loss to self esteem from tinder can be more than made up from grinder even tho fbyoyre not gay these middle aged men can be very flattering

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012

Spinz posted:

Whoa

Great post

no it's not a great post.
you just agree with anything that reinforces your defeatist attitude.

it's sad when anyone under any circumstances ends up alone and the idea that once you hit middle age it's over for women romantically is bullshit.

i hate this thread. i'm leaving!!!! :mad:
i don't actually have anywhere to go so i'm just going to sit quietly in the corner. don't talk to me.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

You'd pick up more chicks if you realize you are indeed capable of picking up chicks. Or dudes, or whatever you're into.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Strumpie posted:

no it's not a great post.
you just agree with anything that reinforces your defeatist attitude.

it's sad when anyone under any circumstances ends up alone and the idea that once you hit middle age it's over for women romantically is bullshit.

i hate this thread. i'm leaving!!!! :mad:
i don't actually have anywhere to go so i'm just going to sit quietly in the corner. don't talk to me.

Oh I wasn't trying to say its impossible to date in middle age and folks should just give up. Just that I have seen what giving up and growing old alone looks like, and its pretty grim.

Fashionable Jorts posted:

You'd pick up more chicks if you realize you are indeed capable of picking up chicks. Or dudes, or whatever you're into.

So goons need to hit the gym till they can at least bench their preferred partner? Sound advice.

One More Fat Nerd fucked around with this message at 23:53 on May 1, 2022

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

One More Fat Nerd posted:

So goons need to hit the gym till they can at least bench their preferred partner? Sound advice.

Not what I meant, but not bad idea.

Just dont turn into a gymbro, ugh.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

One More Fat Nerd posted:

It is actually. Goes for both the guys and gals, and whatever pref of partner they have thereof.

You don't need to pay for a gym. And you don't need to bench them.

Just free body weight exercise should be enough, and run drills to make sure you can get them off the floor and move them if unconscious and limp. Even if you can only do a drag. You need to know how easy/hard it's going to be and how it works before you might have to find out in a non-drill situation.

Part of the partnership is protecting the other.

JetSetGo
Jan 1, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
I tried online dating and it sucked rear end. I count myself lucky enough everyone I've dated I met through my friend network (though this has also backfired). Specifically I tried OKCupid, and it felt like filling out a job resume so someone would be interested in me. Worse yet was being matched with a girl I thought was dating a really good friend of mine but found out she was just stringing him along the whole time. Everyone else I matched with was a supreme wierdo so I deleted my profile and asked what was wrong with me that I was getting these results.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yesterday at a party a dude came at me to talk to me about NFTs and cryptocurrency. He didn't actually want to hook up with me, he didn't ask me out or anything, he *legit* just wanted to talk about crypto to someone.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Elentor posted:

Yesterday at a party a dude came at me to talk to me about NFTs and cryptocurrency. He didn't actually want to hook up with me, he didn't ask me out or anything, he *legit* just wanted to talk about crypto to someone.

Did you gently caress him?

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

JetSetGo posted:

I tried online dating and it sucked rear end. I count myself lucky enough everyone I've dated I met through my friend network (though this has also backfired). Specifically I tried OKCupid, and it felt like filling out a job resume so someone would be interested in me. Worse yet was being matched with a girl I thought was dating a really good friend of mine but found out she was just stringing him along the whole time. Everyone else I matched with was a supreme wierdo so I deleted my profile and asked what was wrong with me that I was getting these results.

All but like 2 of the people I've dated/hosed have been via okcupid.

Maybe I am the supreme weirdo?

Nirvikalpa
Aug 20, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
If you're not getting dates, there's a good reason you're being removed from the gene pool. Just my two thoughts.

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012

Fashionable Jorts posted:

Maybe I am the supreme weirdo?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFTyJDjfjG0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bum the Sad posted:

Did you gently caress him?

No I just quietly moved away but he didn't flirt or want to gently caress he just wanted to talk about crypto to someone and how game NFTs are ruining the integrity of it with pump and dumps.