Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Item Getter posted:

You mean 2 loops like gather 10 purple pikmin and then backtrack to pick up the onion right? Took me a little while to realize you needed to bump the purple onion off the shelf with Oatchi and have him carry it (I consistently forgot about that all through the game), but I think got it on the first try after doing that.
God drat it, is this why people were saying the last sage trial wasn't hellishly difficult?

My Oatchi could only carry like 20 weight when I did that trial!

I practiced the opening, assembling 8 purples and the rest ice, as fast as I could, over and over and over again. I'd go ahead with Oatchi to try and clear the way, and I had no way of keeping track of my pikmin with both of us out front, so sometimes I'd just return to the purple onion to find everyone dead.

It took me at least a dozen attempts, each time trying to shave off fractions of seconds and just praying for the waterwraith's mercy.

Really proud of myself for eventually doing it, but I would not say it was an easy challenge with an anemic Oatchi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Are the sprout / bloom X number of pikmin side missions endlessly repeatable or do they end?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Well I wish I'd known that before finishing the game. :cripes:

Wow same. Only time I looked in settings and control menus was looking for a way to disable hints.

Oof... looks like the fog got them.

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Heran Bago posted:

Are the sprout / bloom X number of pikmin side missions endlessly repeatable or do they end?

They repeat forever, presumably so people can't run out of building materials by buying too many bomb rocks

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
Trying to do minimum day Olimar’s tale challenge and boy, day 1’s margins are brutal. Even if it’s just for movement and keeping your pikmin together, a space dog is so important.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

I just got this game yesterday after playing the demo, and have a small question: what is the point difference needed for the platinum medal in the Dandori fight? I beat the opponent by 93 points and got gold (which only needs 60 points). I assume I need 100?

I really wish I could make more attempts even after winning. I got 100% in the area, but it's not enough, dammit!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

You will be able to replay all the dandori battles and challenges to perfect your scores. Just gotta unlock the castaways who manage those

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

Your Uncle Dracula posted:

Trying to do minimum day Olimar’s tale challenge and boy, day 1’s margins are brutal. Even if it’s just for movement and keeping your pikmin together, a space dog is so important.
I just started olimar's challenge and that first day without the whistles and the dog and the fast running is brutal. Completing it in a single day is dandori beyond my understanding. You don't need to break any of the pots?

I wasted my third day staying in the first map because I didn't know the dog was on the second map yet
and I will need to waste another day on the second map because I only had 2/3 bombs to open the bomby door

and now I'm at 16/30 ish with only 6 days left and it might not be enough to succeed but I don't really wanna restart or roll back to day 2 or whatever

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
You have to break at least one pot to full clear on day 1. However, bomb rocks can break pots; you use one on the pots that block off the Sagittarius/Libra. You may also use one to get to the ridge where the Nova Blaster and Ultra Spicy berries are, but you can also do a slightly janky throw with yellow Pikmin to toss down a climbing rope. It's doable, for sure, it just demands bigass dandori (and that the stupid pikmin who finds the bomb rock doesn't get lost on the way back to you). Right now I'm at 6 on the first day, but swinging around to get the Nova Blaster in the web seems super tight.

Your Uncle Dracula fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Aug 17, 2023

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
He is drowning

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Closing in on 100%. I really, truly loved this game. Pikmin is a great series and this is just my favorite one. Inches ahead of 2. It has everything I like about each Pikmin.

It also has this rare quality I've only seen in a few other games (Sonic Mania, FFVII R): the game's existence and quality should be impossible. Miyamoto famously avoids "more-of-the-same" sequels and Pikmin has so little mass appeal it could easily be in F-Zero's situation. A Pikmin 4 existing was a tall enough order. But for a new one to be nearly as good as the old ones? loving insane. It has stuff I still wanted in those games.

Oatchi/Moss bring just enough new to the table. A second captain that is also a vehicle and an OP Pikmin with progression fit really well into formula. Jump button is a big change but they make it work. I liked mission mode in the previous games but never had a friend into the series to play the battle modes with. I would buy any amount of these as DLC.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Olimars backstory was pretty fun. Finished it in 9(?) days.

I will buy so much DLC for this game

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
Random thoughts

Good
-The auto-aim and throwing limit are good features that make the game friendly for new people. (I'll come back to this)
-I enjoyed the Olimar story, its time limit, and also liked how you gradually got more items and abilities in it.
-Pikmin AI is so much better. I'm glad they can navigate bridges and slopes more frequently and that they stop short of water.
-Pikmin pathfinding is great. If you break a wall or move a base while they're carrying something they'll automatically change routes.
-The pikmin building walls/slopes/bridges was a nice addition
-I liked seeing so many old friends I haven't seen in a while: Puffshroom, Armored Canon Beetle, Smokey Progg, etc.
-Moving the base around is nice, though I don't think it's a feature necessarily missed in the others since those areas are a little more compact.
-Going off what I've read in the thread I might be in the minority, but I liked the night missions and found them fairly thrilling.
-The Empress Bulblax in the final cavern genuinely made me laugh when I first saw it. And then on a different floor I had the misfortune of being directly under where the waterwraith landed the first time it spawned. Give me more of those Pikmin 2-esque moments.

Bad
-The auto aim and throwing limit are the biggest things that killed my enjoyment of this game and I really wish they included an option to disable them. It frustrated me how often the game wouldn't let me do what I wanted.
-Pikmin are smarter but still stupid, having a hard time picking something up when it's next to something else.
-So many returning bosses, but only maybe one new one. I also found it a little disappointing that the logs before the caves eliminated the surprise of, say, the man-at-legs and waterwraith
-The people talk way too much, to the point where I almost stopped playing early on (I'm glad I continued, though, because it seems to get toned down after a certain point)
-The dog is cute, but I think having a captain that can also do everything the pikmin do goes against the spirit of the series.
-This is a trend with recent Nintendo games, but I find the menus, fonts, and displays to be lifeless and lacking personality.
-The game is so, so easy. I did a no-death run and I don't think anything took me more than 3 tries, including the bonus stuff.
-I liked backtracking to previous areas after having found new pikmin in previous games, and missed it in this one.
-I did the Cavern for a King after doing absolutely everything else save the Sage Leaf Cavern, and I'm perplexed at the lineup trumpet being locked behind it. It's a core mechanic, why is it an unlockable? What's even the point that late?

All in all an ok game, but I genuinely found the auto-aim and pikmin limit on items downright frustrating. Give me Pikmin 2 any day

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The charge horn being a shop item is also kind of baffling and maybe I could have bound it to dpad but being unable to do it while on Oatchi was huge Dandori loss

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

Andorra posted:

Random thoughts

-So many returning bosses, but only maybe one new one.

Honestly really agree with this, the game felt like a Pikmin Greatest Hits album at times. The very few new enemies were still great but I missed getting to a boss arena and not knowing what to expect

The groovy longlegs fight might have been one of my favorite moments in the entire series, I never expected them to go that far with it

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

Barudak posted:

The charge horn being a shop item is also kind of baffling and maybe I could have bound it to dpad but being unable to do it while on Oatchi was huge Dandori loss

If you ram something while riding Oatchi, it also unloads all the pikmin riding him onto the enemy's now-exposed weakpoint. It's much better than the charge horn.

Owl at Home
Dec 25, 2014

Well hoot, I don't know if I can say no to that

Andorra posted:

-This is a trend with recent Nintendo games, but I find the menus, fonts, and displays to be lifeless and lacking personality.

Exactly!! I want the translucent bubble text back.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Novasol posted:

If you ram something while riding Oatchi, it also unloads all the pikmin riding him onto the enemy's now-exposed weakpoint. It's much better than the charge horn.

Sure, but enemies aren't the only thing you'd use the charge horn for. It's much faster than throwing pikmin one by one onto nectar, material/gold piles, etc.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
Groovy Long Legs is an excellent boss battle, holy poo poo

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Pikmin 1 and 2 are so hard to go back to entirely due to control scheme.

Cattail Prophet posted:

Sure, but enemies aren't the only thing you'd use the charge horn for. It's much faster than throwing pikmin one by one onto nectar, material/gold piles, etc.

Its this.

The charge horn also sends pikmin by group so you can rapidly do several objectives at once and then grab all the leftovers and move on.

For combat, charge is way better but for multiple task optimization charge horn is superior.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Credit: @_SleepySalami_

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
not me attempting Sage Trial 10 five or ten times before ever trying to throw a purple pikmin at the steamroller guy

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
Did you unlock the trial before fighting that boss in a cave?

Also check this out:

https://youtu.be/ktyXJbLdbPA?si=o7vaQmKEzUsrG_l-

Your Uncle Dracula fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Aug 25, 2023

Sivart13
May 18, 2003

Your Uncle Dracula posted:

Did you unlock the trial before fighting that boss in a cave?
I had fought the one from before but it was a while ago and I somehow convinced myself that the Sage Trial version was an unstoppable immortal version for the ultimate in Pikmin challenge

but pikmin would not be so cruel as to leave me exposed to the AI pathfinding whims of a goopy steamroller. I know that now

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
okay I have now at last defeated the game 100% as far as I know (minus Louie's inane tasks)

I was surprised how much I grew to resent all the repetitive animations and the home base at the end despite liking the idea of a base at the beginning

pikmin rescue survivors only care about these thing
* say inane dialog
* activate inane quest (optional)
* provide raw material (optional)
* decrease framerate

Owl at Home
Dec 25, 2014

Well hoot, I don't know if I can say no to that
For some reason it didn't even occur to me to engage the Water Wraiths in the Sage trial, I totally forgot purples give you that option. I was still able to complete the trial through my superior dandori skills, of course. :smug:

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

I imagine that attacking the Waterwraith and defeating it would eat up too much time

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
Maybe a true dandori master knows how to get goopy steamroller going in the right direction, but the many times I tried it before just killing the thing outright, it would blunder toward all my little guys and smoosh them

chucking a purple at least to distract it feels necessary unless there's a way to predict its path like a pac-man ghost

Infernot
Jul 17, 2015

"A short night wakes me from a dream that seemed so long."
Grimey Drawer
https://youtu.be/Avfvfm6IFLI?si=nQPOf-lTSYST8k9M

I agree with his frustrations with the controls and other gripes. I really liked 4 but I still think 3 remains my favorite. Those overworld boss fights in 3 were just so cool and special, bosses in 4 felt like they blurred together since they took place at the end of caves. Not to mention so many just being recycled

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Beat the game and enjoyed my time with it. Now just doing post-game stuff.

Item Getter posted:

I guess I'll just keep 1-2 in mind for the future. Though I kind of wonder if the existence of (4 postgame) Olimar's campaign in 4 renders Pikmin 1 obsolete.

Absolutely not. The level design is entirely different and the Pikmin caps weren't a mechanic until 4.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

Zuzie posted:

I imagine that attacking the Waterwraith and defeating it would eat up too much time

My first attempt I did that and it took way too long, but just breaking the wheels worked well enough with him hiding away from me for the rest of it.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

I'm getting near the end of my first playthrough the game, all that's left is the final Dandori battle and the cave behind the boulder, which I assume unlocks after I finish everything else in the final area. Finished Olimar's tale with four days to spare and got platinum in all the Dandori challenges and Sage trials, but for some reason even the easiest of the battles gives me trouble--gold is still the best I can do in any of them, and I barely scraped through the first one against Louie. I'm sure I'd do better if the battles weren't split-screen, that always screws with me.

Anyways, I'm enjoying the game even though I find it quite frustrating at times; I've never played any of the others so I have nothing to compare it against.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Zuzie posted:

You don't need to kill it, just knock it off its wheels. Let Oatchi carry the Onion and it's utterly neutered as a threat while you and your Pikmin clear the way.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003

Infernot posted:

I agree with his frustrations with the controls and other gripes.
I definitely agree that the split screen in Dandori battles isn't useful. I didn't get particularly good scores on any of the challenges but I never looked at the opponents screen at all, my puny brain doesn't know what to do with that information.

The part about pikmin getting stuck in decoy targets in some boss battles has to be intentional, though.

As an aging gamer, my gripe with the controls is that hammering 'A' 50 times is not good for my body and I wish there was an alternative.
Rush-slamming with Oatchi and using the horn are effective, but there's many circumstances where the best way to get through a problem is chucking a lot of Pikmin really fast.
Like for flying enemies, or anything not at ground level really.

would love an accessibility option where Something+A sprays out Pikmin really fast. But I know Nintendo is not so good with the accessibility options.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I was going to start pikmin 4 today, but saw that there are switch ports of 1 and 2. 2 in particular is one of my favorite games ever and I just played it over and over as a kid. I felt like it was a good time to revisit them all in order so I started with 1 instead of 4.

This really brings back memories. it still has the little frustrations I remember with random individual pikmin tripping or doing weird things, but for something more than two decades old, this holds up amazingly well. This series feels like it couldn't exist because it's too weird and niche to have a broad audience, but if you're one of those people it resonates with, there's nothing else that evokes the same feel. so glad these ports exist, hopefully a few people who never played them before can appreciate them.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Can you guess when I released the smoky progg.

I don't feel nostalgia for many games but this one really got me. it was a lot of fun to revisit and while it does feel like something of a janky prototype for pikmin 2 in some ways, it's still an absolute classic. the port added a couple of small improvements too, like whistling to disbanded bomb pikmin just makes them come to you normally instead of dropping their bombs, and you can swap the pikmin type in your hand like 2 instead of having to fumble around for the right type.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Whale Vomit
Nov 10, 2004

starving in the belly of a whale
its ribs are ceiling beams
its guts are carpeting
I guess we have some time to kill
So derpy

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023

be strong for mother

Adbot