Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Took my leathers in to get custom tailored today. They're gonna be sa-weeeeeeeeet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

OrangeFurious posted:

I ordered a pair of Joe Rocket Big Bang boots. Anything I should know while there's still time to return 'em?

http://www.newenough.com/street/boots/sport_street_touring_boots/joe_rocket/big_bang_motorcycle_boots.html

I have the Orbit boots too and they are really, really comfy. I can wear those fuckers all day (and do).

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

-Inu- posted:

Yup. If you really want a second safety rating get...
DOT + ECE 22.05

OrangeFurious
Oct 14, 2005

Ce n'est pas une St. Furious.

aventari posted:

Full leathers all day?!

Full leathers, all day, at the office. In his defence he did have them unzipped and there wasn't a good place to store them. That said, he was also a goony neckbeard game tester. I kinda doubt he ever took them off.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
So is it a safety issue to use some leather pants as overpants even if they're not designed for it? I would like to be able to have some shorts under some perforated leather pants for hot weather riding, so I could just take off and stash the pants when I get to where I'm going and not be like the dude described above.

Or maybe I'll just need to be in the habit of bringing a change of clothes wherever I go.

Senator Woofington
Aug 1, 2009

by Ozmaugh
Just read in popular science about a new Helmet that is going to be for sale shortly.

Basically, when you crash there are two things that cause damage to the head, the direct impact of hitting the ground, which most modern helmets help protect, and then from your head bumping all over the ground after you fall and are sliding down the road. Apparently this causes "sheering" damage. So this new helmet has its harder outer shell for direct impact absorption and also has a sort of floating layer that almost acts like skin on your face, moving around and absorbing the bumps and sheering damage. Apparently this helmet has reduced the amount of sheering injuries by 70%. I really want one.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Weinertron posted:

So is it a safety issue to use some leather pants as overpants even if they're not designed for it? I would like to be able to have some shorts under some perforated leather pants for hot weather riding, so I could just take off and stash the pants when I get to where I'm going and not be like the dude described above.

Or maybe I'll just need to be in the habit of bringing a change of clothes wherever I go.
Well, leathers should be tight enough that they're not going to move much in an incident. That said, some thing shorts underneath shouldn't make a big difference.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Weinertron posted:

So, I'm getting close to hitting "go" on my newbie gear purchase. I've decided that the greater up-front cost of leathers is worth it, but I am a little budget conscious here. I need to go try on some more helmets, I don't seem to be a Shoei or an Arai head so I'm just going to spend some more time putting on helmets and walking around the dealers until I can tell where the really bad hot spots are.

Anyway, here is what I'm looking at:

I would really like some input on the boots and gloves. I'm pretty secure in my choice of leathers after going out and getting a feel, it seems like the Joe Rocket leathers are a really good balance between price and quality. The Icon stuff seemed badly built, and everything else is dramatically more expensive.

I feel like I could do way better in the glove department, but I'm not sure what to look for. I don't think that $200 for Helimot gloves is in the budget, but I realize how important gauntlets are and if there isn't a better balance between price / performance I could stretch for them.

With the boots, I'm not sure what the downsides of the waterproof ones would be. I feel like I should go ahead and get them just because boots that aren't waterproof would be a pain. If I'm willing to stretch the budget for anything, it would be better boots, but I'm pretty sure that the Waterproof Sidi stuff looks like great protection for around $240.

I would like to keep the overall budget around $1000, so if I get input that I really need the $200 Helimot gloves, then I'd be looking for a jacket and pants on clearance to save a little $. I know that this isn't ideal, but I feel that $1000 should buy me decent overall kit based on the research I've done.

Edit: As far as helmets, Snell rated means it's about as good as it gets safety-wise, right? I'm just trying to find the most comfortable cheap Snell rated helmet.

2nd Edit:
http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/sport/leather+motorcycle+jackets/joe+rocket_honda+super+hawk+jacket
Holy poo poo that is a dirt cheap leather jacket I may get that. I don't care if squids give me poo poo for wearing Honda branded gear and riding a Kawasaki.

I'd get the scorpion jacket, and either of these boots, depending on if you want more airflow or not:

http://www.newenough.com/street/closeouts/boots/sidi/vertigo_race_motorcycle_boots_white_only.html
http://www.newenough.com/street/closeouts/boots/sidi/vertigo_air_motorcycle_boots_white_only.html

I prefer the race inspired boots with additional ankle protection/support.

I'd pick up a set of A* SP2s, I've been able to find them in the past for 80$ or so.

That takes you up to ~450, and you've got gloves, jackets, and boots. I'd find a set of overpants for ~100 and spend the rest on a helmet.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

If you have either small or really big hands, I would highly recommend these: http://www.bikebandit.com/cortech-scarab-rr-gloves

It may be worth checking other sites to see if they have any left.

An Amazon partner has a few other sizes available (use the dropdown menus): http://www.amazon.com/Cortech-Scarab-R-R-Gloves-Silver/dp/B001A3CY28

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE

Weinertron posted:

I would really like some input on the boots and gloves. I'm pretty secure in my choice of leathers after going out and getting a feel, it seems like the Joe Rocket leathers are a really good balance between price and quality. The Icon stuff seemed badly built, and everything else is dramatically more expensive.

I feel like I could do way better in the glove department, but I'm not sure what to look for. I don't think that $200 for Helimot gloves is in the budget, but I realize how important gauntlets are and if there isn't a better balance between price / performance I could stretch for them.

With the boots, I'm not sure what the downsides of the waterproof ones would be. I feel like I should go ahead and get them just because boots that aren't waterproof would be a pain. If I'm willing to stretch the budget for anything, it would be better boots, but I'm pretty sure that the Waterproof Sidi stuff looks like great protection for around $240.

I would like to keep the overall budget around $1000, so if I get input that I really need the $200 Helimot gloves, then I'd be looking for a jacket and pants on clearance to save a little $. I know that this isn't ideal, but I feel that $1000 should buy me decent overall kit based on the research I've done.

I have a different version of these gloves (they are Jordan branded) but I love them. I've tried 4 or 5 pairs of gloves and I should've bought 2 or 3 pairs of these Jordan gloves when they were available.
These Honda ones look very similar and should be nice. My favourite feature is the external stitching which really helps the comfort level.

http://www.newenough.com/street/closeouts/gloves/joe_rocket_honda_branded_gear/superbike_motorcycle_gloves.html

If these are in your size they're super nice. I have a pair of Vertigo Corsa's and though I only use them for the track or serious street riding, if they were my only pair I wouldn't hesistate to use them everywhere, very comfortable.
http://www.newenough.com/street/closeouts/boots/sidi/vertigo_race_motorcycle_boots_white_only.html

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
A week after buying Scorpion's Cool Rod mesh jacket from Motorcycle Superstore for $120, both MS and Newenough dropped the price to $99. If you're looking for a good summer mesh jacket, GET THIS JACKET. It feels great on myself, and looks fricking good (white-colored model). It's ages beyond my Joe Rocket Honda mesh jacket in quality. Get it get it get it

For a picture of myself wearing it, see the previous page.

UserNotFound
May 7, 2006
???
WHAT

http://newenough.com/street/protective_apparel/leather_jackets_and_pants/scorpion/stinger_leather_motorcycle_jacket.html

Should I even wait to find some reviews or buy it now in black/blue?

Nevermind, they're that cheap elsewhere in all colors...

UserNotFound fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Apr 14, 2010

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Senator Woofington posted:

Just read in popular science about a new Helmet that is going to be for sale shortly.

Basically, when you crash there are two things that cause damage to the head, the direct impact of hitting the ground, which most modern helmets help protect, and then from your head bumping all over the ground after you fall and are sliding down the road. Apparently this causes "sheering" damage. So this new helmet has its harder outer shell for direct impact absorption and also has a sort of floating layer that almost acts like skin on your face, moving around and absorbing the bumps and sheering damage. Apparently this helmet has reduced the amount of sheering injuries by 70%. I really want one.

Lazer Superskin.

Senator Woofington
Aug 1, 2009

by Ozmaugh

KARMA! posted:

Lazer Superskin.

Yeah holy poo poo I love science!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

UserNotFound posted:

WHAT

http://newenough.com/street/protective_apparel/leather_jackets_and_pants/scorpion/stinger_leather_motorcycle_jacket.html

As I've posted already: I got one. It's a good jacket. Do it!

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
You just know Dr. Ken Phillips rides something awesome like an R6 with a power commander.

"Good day gentlemen! I'm off to the shops!"
*slides visor down, pops wheelie"

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I'd love me some Superskin but I'm vain enough that I'm not buying a dull black or gray one.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug
What were those crazy ridiculous robotic gloves that were discussed in here a few weeks back? My daily gloves have a seem thats starting to come apart and I'm considering burning some cash instead of doing the cheap thing I usually do.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS
Knox Handroids

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?

UserNotFound posted:

WHAT

I got one too and it's awesome! Heavy leather, yet breathable and cool even into the 90s. I still can't believe I got it for $150. Beats my Dainese leather for hot weather.

Edit: In regards to the boots, I'm reading New Enough's review on the Sidi Vortice Boot and it says that it is replacing the now obsolete Vertigo, so there may be more closeouts coming on those if you can wait. I'm wanting a pair of them myself.

Gnaghi fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Apr 14, 2010

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

KARMA! posted:

Lazer Superskin.

I guess that's cool if you think your riding area puts you most at risk to hit the side of a hill as you fall straight down. I wish they would have showed the helmet coming in at an angle to a flat surface, you know, like when you are falling off of a moving motorcycle.

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

Mini reviews of the gear I just recently bought for my first motorcycle, a DRZ400SM. I'm tall and skinny, 6'5" maybe 185lbs so finding stuff that fit was a bit tricky but I'm happy with the results (and the deals I found).

Scorpion All-In leather jacket (http://www.newenough.com/street/closeouts/leather_suits_jackets_and_pants/scorpion/all_in_leather_motorcycle_jacket.html) for $150: bought the 'large tall' (2" longer in length & sleeves) and it fits pretty goddamn well. Heavy but is very comfortable (aside from bunching up my tshirt sleeves but I have a feeling anything with armor is going to do this) and feels protective as hell. As long as I was moving, 80 degree weather was comfortable with the vents open.

Tourmaster Draft Air jacket (http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/1/39/550/ITEM/Tour-Master-Draft-Air-Jacket.aspx) for $90: ordered the large hoping it would be big enough as it seems Tourmaster stuff is generally a little long/tall, and while it doesn't fit nearly as well as the All-In jacket it's still a pretty good fit around the body with the arms only coming up short if I stretch out to the sides. Flows a ton of air and still feels sufficiently protective with all the armor bits. Should be fine to use for myself on ultra-hot days or to lend to a passenger over a jacket/coat.

Joe Rocket Ballistic 7.0 pants (http://www.newenough.com/street/protective_apparel/textile_jackets_and_pants/joe_rocket/ballistic_7_textile_motorcycle_pants.html) for $125: bought the 'large tall' size as well, fits great alone but would be tough to use as overpants, though the zippers on the sides could make it doable. The armor in the knees aren't quite even which bugs me a little as the left one ends up abrading my knee and doesn't sit quite right, while the right side feels perfect. Could just need a little more adjusting. Other than that, pretty good.

Joe Rocket Orbit boots (http://www.indysuperbike.com/customer/product.php?productid=117044) for $80: size 12 needed some breaking in but they're very comfortable now. Dunno how much protection against twisting but it's nice to know the ankle armor is there, and upshifting is comfortable. They look fairly casual too for boots.

Joe Rocket Highside gloves (http://www.revzilla.com/product/joe...-leather-gloves) for $40: ordered the XL, the fingers will hopefully break in a little more as I have gigantic manhands. Also the throttle hand kinda bunches up at the base of my fingers on the front pinching the skin a little, but other than that comfortable enough and feel very protective. They vent enough air through the fingers to be comfortable while moving at 80 degrees.

Suomy Spectre motocross style helmet (http://www.revzilla.com/product/suomy-spectre-helmet) for $140: ordered the XL, haven't gotten to wear it much due to waiting on replacement goggle lenses but feels absolutely comfy as hell and I like that it's ECE certified, plus all the good things I hear about Suomy.

Smith Intake LST goggles (http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/2/6/4/2131/ITEM/Smith-Intake-LST-Goggles.aspx) for $45: Came with dust and crap embedded in the lens' anti-fog coating so I had to return the lens, which got lost in the mail so I had to order a new lens :( from the limited use I got, seems very comfortable, has a little intake pop-up to cool out the inside which works well, and the light adjusting lens stuff is awesome.

HJC CL-15 helmet (http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/1/38/16840/CITEM/HJC-CL-15-Mutant-Helmet-Closeouts.aspx) for $60: ordered the large as both a second helmet for passengers with smaller heads than me, but also to have a full face helmet that can somewhat fit me for colder/longer distance riding. As a result it fits pretty tight on me but nothing I can't manage, the five hour drive to pick up my bike was somewhat uncomfortable by the end but not torturous by any means. Other than that, flows air very nice and has good visibility.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Man_of_Teflon posted:

As a result it fits pretty tight on me but nothing I can't manage, the five hour drive to pick up my bike was somewhat uncomfortable by the end but not torturous by any means. Other than that, flows air very nice and has good visibility.

This is precisely how a helmet should fit when new. The padding will break-in a little and if it's not a little too tight now, it will be too loose later.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

frozenphil posted:

I guess that's cool if you think your riding area puts you most at risk to hit the side of a hill as you fall straight down. I wish they would have showed the helmet coming in at an angle to a flat surface, you know, like when you are falling off of a moving motorcycle.

That seemed to me to be what the video of their test showed basically? Coming in at an angle at a flat surface with forward momentum.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

pr0zac posted:

That seemed to me to be what the video of their test showed basically? Coming in at an angle at a flat surface with forward momentum.

It looked like the helmet was dropping straight down onto an angled surface to me.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

frozenphil posted:

It looked like the helmet was dropping straight down onto an angled surface to me.

Exactly, simulating a large amount of forward momentum like if you fell off a bike going 60. v:shobon:v I've got "As Seen on TV" products all over my house though so I'm probably easily convinced (the vacuum sealer thing is worth its weight in gold though).

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

frozenphil posted:

Rotate the coordinate system by 90 degrees less the angle of the strike plate. You get a shallow-angled hit to a horizontal surface.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Phy posted:

Rotate the coordinate system by 90 degrees less the angle of the strike plate. You get a shallow-angled hit to a horizontal surface.

I get that. The problem with doing it that way is that you don't get to see what happens once the helmet is sliding along that horizontal surface. As they have the test set up, the helmet is only touching that angled surface for a second and then continues on down which isn't how it would work in the real world.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
How is sliding down the road relevant to the test though? The idea of that helmet is to protect your brain from glancing blows. Sliding down the road isn't really a consideration in helmet design since there's no more impact damage occuring and your head really doesn't slide along the road in an off in a way that's going wear through the shell.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

frozenphil posted:

I get that. The problem with doing it that way is that you don't get to see what happens once the helmet is sliding along that horizontal surface. As they have the test set up, the helmet is only touching that angled surface for a second and then continues on down which isn't how it would work in the real world.

Yeah, and what's the deal with airline peanuts?!?

No seriously, read up on how DOT, SNELL and ECU ratings work. Controlled test environments and all that.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

2ndclasscitizen posted:

How is sliding down the road relevant to the test though? The idea of that helmet is to protect your brain from glancing blows. Sliding down the road isn't really a consideration in helmet design since there's no more impact damage occuring and your head really doesn't slide along the road in an off in a way that's going wear through the shell.

Seems relevant since they are talking about their product being good at resisting a twisting motion, something that only occurs as the helmet is sliding against another object as shown in their demonstration.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

It's not about the final slide down the pavement. Any helmet helps against facial road rash. It's about the first impact which in the real world is more often a glancing blow against the pavement than a steel ball straight to the noggin (as in other tests). This glancing blow may not have enough energy to cause injury by impact alone, but the twist fucks up your neck.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

Ola posted:

It's not about the final slide down the pavement. Any helmet helps against facial road rash. It's about the first impact which in the real world is more often a glancing blow against the pavement than a steel ball straight to the noggin (as in other tests). This glancing blow may not have enough energy to cause injury by impact alone, but the twist fucks up your neck.
So, the ideal test would be to drop it onto an angled plate, then onto a belt sander! :D
Beyond the benefit of reducing TBI inside your skull, I see an additional benefit in having the head twist separately from the body less.

Edit:

Dr. Ken Phillips posted:

"You're looking at the bottom of the helmet which is lying on its side with an imitation test head in it..."
No real test heads were injured during the making of this demonstration video.

Kenny Rogers fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Apr 15, 2010

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
Picked up a nice RS Taichi textile/mesh jacket today to replace my old jacket that fits like a grocery bag anymore. The only problem now is it makes my pants look more terrible since they also no longer fit properly lol

It's pretty nice though, has chest protector and a back protector that isn't just a piece of foam :D

Mathturbator
Oct 12, 2004
Funny original quote
Anybody tried the Pazzo short levers? Somehow I think that a shorter brake lever would be nice, although I cannot logically argue that it will help my braking :)

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
I've only had the full length, they are pretty quality bits though

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

I'm looking for leather track pants that have an over-the-boot fit, and that have knee sliders. I like the protection of leather but for the street I want a fit that doesn't scream Power Ranger. Any ideas?

Like in the picture here:

Also, who puts a gas mask on the front of their bike?

FuzzyWuzzyBear fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Apr 19, 2010

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Get the gently caress over the "power ranger-look". That's what non-touring leathers look like, and they're what have sliders. Unless you want to drop a lot of money on a 1pc Dainese race suit with matching boots.

As for ^ that guy, his leathers are obviously way too big, and he probably can't tuck them in.

2ndclasscitizen fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Apr 19, 2010

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

I'm looking for leather track pants that have an over-the-boot fit, and that have knee sliders. I like the protection of leather but for the street I want a fit that doesn't scream Power Ranger. Any ideas?

Like in the picture here:

Also, who puts a gas mask on the front of their bike?

Unless you're getting them custom made, leathers that fit over the boot are going to not offer as much protection. You're also going to have to pair them with very specific boots, that are slim enough to slide under the leathers. Just get normal leathers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Z3n posted:

Unless you're getting them custom made, leathers that fit over the boot are going to not offer as much protection. You're also going to have to pair them with very specific boots, that are slim enough to slide under the leathers. Just get normal leathers.

Simple enough. I didn't know if they were a viable option that I just hadn't researched enough.