Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
Here's our new demo (1080 on youtube, i don't know if the embed does that):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Vguvli1Y0k

I did the music and one of the scenes (the nebula flight in the middle)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
What the gently caress, that is amazing. How big is the demo? By demo I'm assuming you're a part of the whole demoscene stuff where programmers make all this amazing stuff? I've always wanted to learn some of it but I'm assuming I wouldn't have the patience for it from what I hear. If you could link me to or describe the process that would be awesome :)

ceebee fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Dec 30, 2010

Unexpected EOF
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a Bro-ny!
Is there a way to make blender have a four-up display like the default in 3dsmax or am I stuck with this horrible single-frame?

edit: Also, if anyone knows of a Greeble generator plugin that still works for Blender I will love you forever.

Unexpected EOF fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Dec 30, 2010

DefMech
Sep 16, 2002
I like how demos are basically real-time motion graphics or animated shorts at this point.

International Log
Apr 3, 2007

Fluent in five foreign tongues!
Grimey Drawer

cubicle gangster posted:

No - i've had that issue before.

An object was merged in with a material that had a raytrace map with a non existent hdri linked which was turned off. Didnt show in asset tracking, didnt show an error when the scene was opened but wouldnt render on the farm.

Have you merged a lot of objects in? Same them out, try a render - delete half, try a render, etc. Keep going until theres only a few objects to check, then go through the materials.

That's just great, and i have to work with someone else's scene too, so it could be a while. I didn't get the error the last time i sent it to the backburner though, so i'm keeping my fingers crossed.

wayfinder posted:

Here's our new demo (1080 on youtube, i don't know if the embed does that):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Vguvli1Y0k

I did the music and one of the scenes (the nebula flight in the middle)

Holy crap, you're in Farbrausch? I remember seeing stuff of you guys 10 years ago at some demo party in the Netherlands, suffice to say, i was blown away.

International Log fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Dec 30, 2010

Unexpected EOF
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a Bro-ny!
Okay, it took some doing, but I found out how to split viewports in Blender. If anyone here knows of a Greeble plugin that works though, that'd be great. I'd hate to have to do that poo poo by hand.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

International Log posted:

That's just great, and i have to work with someone else's scene too, so it could be a while. I didn't get the error the last time i sent it to the backburner though, so i'm keeping my fingers crossed.

It's always with someone elses scene. And it's never because of anyhing they did, which they cant remember any more anyway.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

cubicle gangster posted:

It's always with someone elses scene. And it's never because of anyhing they did, which they cant remember any more anyway.

I'm using someone else's rig for shot at the moment and just discovered a hidden keyframed attribute being referenced by an expression that was causing it to go to poo poo on frame 1022 for the last 3 days. :suicide:

At least I will have something positive for dailies today :)

some dillweed
Mar 31, 2007

So, I'm curious how you guys are setup monitor-wise for your workflow. As in, do you work on a single mid-sized monitor, a single large monitor like a 30" with a big resolution, or do you try to work across dual monitors? Why did you choose to have that setup?

If you run dual monitors, how do you have that setup? One program with the main viewport on one screen and the palettes/extras on the other, or maybe separate screens for separate programs? Does the work you do necessitate having things setup a certain way?

I don't really know why I'm asking. It was just stuff that got into my head recently because I've been thinking about "upgrading" my setup.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

ceebee posted:

What the gently caress, that is amazing. How big is the demo? By demo I'm assuming you're a part of the whole demoscene stuff where programmers make all this amazing stuff? I've always wanted to learn some of it but I'm assuming I wouldn't have the patience for it from what I hear. If you could link me to or describe the process that would be awesome :)

Thanks! Yeah I'm a demoscener.

Well, this one about 40 megs, it's not size-optimized or anything. If we were doing that, yeah it might be a drag getting into generative geometry and textures (although it was a blast to me), but with demos that aren't based on generative geometry, we pretty much use 3D programs like everything else. XSI in this case.

Unexpected EOF
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a Bro-ny!

Some dillweed posted:

So, I'm curious how you guys are setup monitor-wise for your workflow. As in, do you work on a single mid-sized monitor, a single large monitor like a 30" with a big resolution, or do you try to work across dual monitors? Why did you choose to have that setup?

If you run dual monitors, how do you have that setup? One program with the main viewport on one screen and the palettes/extras on the other, or maybe separate screens for separate programs? Does the work you do necessitate having things setup a certain way?

I don't really know why I'm asking. It was just stuff that got into my head recently because I've been thinking about "upgrading" my setup.

I usually work on my 27 inch iMac as a single monitor display. I usually emulate the default 3dsmax window setup when I can, but when I have two monitors I usually put my perspective viewport (or camera, depending) on the secondary monitor and my right, left, center, and materials on the primary monitor.

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

I have three monitors at work :v: Although only two are actually attached to my main working PC, the other one is for email/Internet etc.

I used to have a matched pair of 3:2 Dell monitors but I've just had the right one replaced with some super widescreen monster, which would be pretty awesome if I could get the colours looking the same across the two now :/ I have no idea how to calibrate them properly so if anybody here knows how I am all ears.

At any rate, I keep XSI and explorer windows etc on the left monitor, but I expand onto the right things like the material manager or UV unwrap window. Unity spreads nicely across both monitors with the Inspector etc on the right and a big old camera view on the left. Photoshop lives on the right monitor.

mrbass21
Feb 1, 2009
Just wanted to drop by and say thanks to the OP and posters in this thread. I got a student edition of Maya and signed up on digitaltutors.com.

I've always been a programmer that sucked at making things look good, but so far it's been really fun messing around with maya.

Two things have happened while Ive been using it. 1: I see that things like making a bottle can really be made super simple by creating a curve and rotating it. 2: How infuriating it is when my fat fingers press some keyboard shortcut that hides some UI element or makes something like Tumbling not work.

I have even more respect for all the artists pumping out this amazing work.

Just wanted to say thanks for the info though out this thread to get me going with it. I'm sure Ill have a lot of questions as I go through this giant of a program.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

Some dillweed posted:

At home I run one screen for main application stuff, say houdini viewports. I run a command line/curve editor on the second monitor plus any type of python scripting/shell stuff, or for any other applications [paint, web, etc].

Very rarely I span viewports across 2 monitors.

Right now I'm running a matched pair of dell 24" displays.

If I ever get back into sculpting more characters I'll flip one 90 degrees and use that for humanoid work.

If things go well this year, I'll get a 2 bedroom unit, and set up a office in another room, and get a 60" HDTV and use that for reviewing footage/renders and showing stuff to people.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
Somebody bought my Team Fortress 2 model for $20 on turbosquid. I only get $8 of that, what a rip.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
Wayfinder, I really enjoyed that :) Nice work!

I use a single 24" widescreen monitor in work, which gets rotated if i'm working on a portrait image.

I'm not a big fan of scanning around a large space to work - I prefer alt tabbing through windows instead of having everything i'm using open at once. Helps keep me more organised, I get distracted with little details if i've got too much open -
I'll open photoshop/cad, make notes on what I need to do, quickly figure out whats more important then hit them all in one go.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

I have two 24" monitors at work. I usually have maya viewports taking up most of the left screen with the outliner and attr editor on the right with a bunch of terminals. I tend to have 3-4 instances of Maya running and an instance or two of nuke spread across various linux workspaces.

I've found I prefer two 24" screens over one 30". I find it easier to organise stuff with the separate ones.

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Please report me if you see me post in GBS so a moderator may bulldoze my account like a palestinian school.
Hi everyone. I've been diligently lurking in this thread, though I must admit that most of the chatter here goes way over my head most of the time. Here are some images from my recent 3D foray.

A normal map- low poly exercise.

And a more elaborate model I've been making:

Playing with lights:

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

SVU Fan posted:

Hey guys, this is a quick low setting test render for my first short I was working on. I'm having loads of trouble though, to me it looks like a bunch of miniature toys or models, rather than a grandiose spooky mansion.

Is it the modeling, texturing, lighting, what? It's been bugging me a bunch. I'm redoing it from the ground up, so any tips would be very appreciated. Also, it's running around 600,000 polys right now, is that absurd? I'm using Vray also, if it makes any difference.

Your scale is completely wack. Make a 6ft tall block, 1ftx1ft width/depth (if you're using Max, drag out a 6ft tall biped for better reference) and place it all over your scene. This is your "human" dummy, and it will help you get a better idea for scale. Tables are usually about waist height, so they'll be half as tall, Stairs are usually 6-10" so you can get about 8 average steps to the character's height, doorways in a house are usually around 7-8ft, etc.

While you're at it, get some real-world measurements and conform objects to them - stair height/depth, the size of those rugs, and some bookshelves. Your rugs are like 40x40 if those stairs are the usual 6-10" tall, those bookcases in the wall are a staircase in height above the floor, the bannister does some weird thing where it gets short at the landing, and in general your scale references are all out of wack. If you're going to eye-ball things it helps to start with a real-world accurate reference point.

The 'minatures' effect comes from the fact that most minatures tend to exaggerate shapes because accurate scale is impossible at the miniature scale or does not read well - warhammer figurines tend to have giant guns and heads, for example, and material details like rivets, wood and stone detail, etc, is larger.

Sigma-X fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jan 4, 2011

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Sigma-X posted:

Your scale is completely wack. Make a 6ft tall block, 1ftx1ft width/depth (if you're using Max, drag out a 6ft tall biped for better reference) and place it all over your scene. This is your "human" dummy, and it will help you get a better idea for scale. Tables are usually about waist height, so they'll be half as tall, Stairs are usually 6-10" so you can get about 8 average steps to the character's height, doorways in a house are usually around 7-8ft, etc.

While you're at it, get some real-world measurements and conform objects to them - stair height/depth, the size of those rugs, and some bookshelves. Your rugs are like 40x40 if those stairs are the usual 6-10" tall, those bookcases in the wall are a staircase in height above the floor, the bannister does some weird thing where it gets short at the landing, and in general your scale references are all out of wack. If you're going to eye-ball things it helps to start with a real-world accurate reference point.

The 'minatures' effect comes from the fact that most minatures tend to exaggerate shapes because accurate scale is impossible at the miniature scale or does not read well - warhammer figurines tend to have giant guns and heads, for example, and material details like rivets, wood and stone detail, etc, is larger.

I agree, scales seem out of wack, mostly the large folds on the drapes/curtains.

In addition I'd set the camera to human eye level as well to get a better feel for scale. 5-6 ft camera would help put things in perspective.

Vino
Aug 11, 2010
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yw5Mt6mOmM4&hd=1

This version of SMAK is coming out in a couple days.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Unexpected EOF posted:

Okay, it took some doing, but I found out how to split viewports in Blender.

You can save layouts and switch between them like so:
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Doc:Manual/Interface/Screens

Wang a few viewports together and save it as a default (at the bottom)

Unexpected EOF
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a Bro-ny!

baka kaba posted:

You can save layouts and switch between them like so:
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Doc:Manual/Interface/Screens

Wang a few viewports together and save it as a default (at the bottom)

Yeah, I finally got it all pieced together. With a bunch of work I've gotten it to support boujou text files too. Greebles are still kinda hosed up though and it's making my life a bit miserable.

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

I've been learning Maya lately and put together some scenes for a short movie my friends and I are going to make called Time Hackers 2D. The first scene follows a Star Wars-like text crawl and uses billboards to introduce a future where every science fiction dystopia has taken place:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AiMOARIC9Ds&hd=1

Flying cars, like in Back to the Future, are called F'ars, and that leads into a bit about a new Discovery Channel series called Ice Road F'uckers. That's not filmed yet, but here is the hover car:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DX7ESRNwaNE&hd=1

I'll take any advice. I'm really loving Maya, and I'm pretty impressed with what layered textures and ramp shaders can do. This is the rust I built without using any image layers:

Unexpected EOF
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a Bro-ny!
I can barely see anything for how dark it is.

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

I was worried about that. Lighting is the next thing I need to really get good at. My issue right now is when I brighten up a scene I make everything look flat. Can anyone recommend books on lightng composition?

My other big concern is whether I'm communicating the intent properly. Are you scratching your head saying, "what is goin on?" Is it clear this is the post-apocalypse? If not, what do you think would help?

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Personally, you need to do some concept. Get the post-apocalyptic feeling in drawings and paintings before you start building assets. Right now your stuff is either black blackness or a mess of random stuff that doesn't suggest any purpose or reason for existing.

The main issue is the assets you've made so far are too little to show and ask "is the over-all feel correct?" Solid concepting will allow you to produce a wide array of drawings of scenes and props and sequences quickly that will serve as framework for real assets later.

Rasselas
Oct 26, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT FUCKIN' TRANNIES HARASSING GLORIOUS UNIMPEACHABLE WEBCOMIC ARTIST TOM SIDDELL WITH THEIR FALSE CLAIMS TO VICTIMHOOD, THE CODDLED FUCKS! STIFF UPPER LIP! I'M A TREMENDOUS JACKASS WHO CAN'T FATHOM ANYTHING OUTSIDE MY BUBBLE! TUMBLRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!
I found the contemporary flying car out of place. It doesn't look like it's a flying car from the future, it looks like someone just picked up a normal car and threw it in the air.

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

You guys confirmed my fears. I approached Maya not really knowing what I would be capable of doing in it. 3 months ago when I started I worried that having a rigid goal would demoralize me when I couldn't achieve it. This is a hobby, so it needed to be fun.

Of course, the end result looks like an artist who learned charcoal, watercolor and airbrush all on the same canvas.

But now that I'm a little more confident, I can go back and take your advice. Fortunately, the assets are all created in Revit MEP, the software I use proffesionally.

Thanks for the advice, and any other criticism is greatly appreciated.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Warm und Fuzzy posted:

You guys confirmed my fears. I approached Maya not really knowing what I would be capable of doing in it. 3 months ago when I started I worried that having a rigid goal would demoralize me when I couldn't achieve it. This is a hobby, so it needed to be fun.

Of course, the end result looks like an artist who learned charcoal, watercolor and airbrush all on the same canvas.

But now that I'm a little more confident, I can go back and take your advice. Fortunately, the assets are all created in Revit MEP, the software I use proffesionally.

Thanks for the advice, and any other criticism is greatly appreciated.

Frankly, if you're just starting learning Maya and such, a big ambitious project like a short film is only going to overwhelm and discourage you. In my program here, we start off learning Maya by making a scene with a teapot, and a scene with some kind of bug, and I've seen some really decent images come out of those assignments. If our first project was to do our own film, we would all have quit ages ago.

Helios127
Nov 9, 2010

by T. Finn
For Christmas I got a book on how to use Maya. I really have one general question about it. What exactly are nodes and nodemaps and so forth? I so far havent seen the use of it, but thats because I am a beginner in this

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Helios127 posted:

For Christmas I got a book on how to use Maya. I really have one general question about it. What exactly are nodes and nodemaps and so forth? I so far havent seen the use of it, but thats because I am a beginner in this

Pretty much every part of your maya scene is represented by a node. For example every bit of geometry you create is comprised of two nodes. A shape node that describes its verts, normals etc and a transform node that describes where that object is.

These nodes are connected into a hierarchy that builds your maya scene and describe parenting relationships etc. There are two main types of Maya nodes. DAG nodes and Non DAG nodes. DAG nodes are nodes that fit into the regular scene heirachy such as geometry, lights etc and have a place in the world.

Then there are non DAG nodes that don't appear in your viewport but contain bits of information about your scene. Things like animation curves, shaders, expressions etc.

The different node graph views such as the hypershade and hypergraph are ways of visualizing these connections that build up your scene.

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

mutata posted:

Frankly, if you're just starting learning Maya and such, a big ambitious project like a short film is only going to overwhelm and discourage you. In my program here, we start off learning Maya by making a scene with a teapot, and a scene with some kind of bug, and I've seen some really decent images come out of those assignments. If our first project was to do our own film, we would all have quit ages ago.

I guess it's really more of a youtube skit than a film. To give you an idea of the scope, the plot involes the "Time Hackers", who try to correct a future mistake by time-traveling to the night they were concieved and kicking their dad in the nuts.

Even though the graphics are allowed to be bad, I personally want to improve, and appreciate all of your advice.

SVU Fan
Mar 5, 2008

I'm gay for Christopher Meloni
Regardless of whether it's just for youtube or for a full length film, starting with a vast landscape and a hover car is not only really ambitious for a first project, but pretty dang hard. I'm with mutata on this one; modeling and rendering household items or any sort of more basic hard surface modeling will go a really long way with helping you understand Maya, which will in turn skyrocket your productivity on this project you're currently on.

http://www.creativecrash.com/maya/tutorials/rendering-lighting/mental-ray/c/how-to-model-a-screwdriver-and-render-it-with-mental-ray

do something like that, or any sort of tutorial where you're modeling and texturing and rendering a whole room and I think it'll help you a lot. I'm only about 5 months in also and only really started 3d because I had a story concept I wanted to do, and boy it put me back like 10 steps when I first started.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Counting down the days to a new job :dance:

Haven't given notice yet but probably will soon.

SVU Fan
Mar 5, 2008

Can anybody shed some light on stylized character modeling? For some reason it's been drat impossible for me to model anything organic convincingly. Is it possible to do it well without perfect front and side imageplane reference images? Even just convincing blocking that I could take into Zbrush later has not turned out well at all for me. I've looked everywhere for start to finish video tutorials or something of modeling a character but I've come up empty handed. Any help would be mucho appreciated at this point

Vino
Aug 11, 2010
How are you on pencil and paper? I'm not character artist but from everything I hear, you need to have solid character drawing skills first.

SVU Fan
Mar 5, 2008

I have enough pencil skill to be able to draw characters relatively accurate to how I imagine them, but modeling them in 3d space has been a lot more difficult, I don't really know where to start and what primitive shapes to use for what parts. I've even been making clay armatures of my characters in hopes of helping!

enginedriver
Jul 16, 2010
Have a look for the Joan of arc tutorial and see how you do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SVU Fan
Mar 5, 2008

Looks exactly like what I need, thanks a ton! Sorry to poo poo up both this and the zbrush thread with problems haha but you goons are inspiring and I've decided to fully pursue getting great at this.