Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Mass Effect 1
Finishing up an Achievements run through, getting the last two teammate achievements. Can I do insanity and get the hardcore achievement at the same time, or do they have to be done one at a time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Devil May Cry 1

Hop to the tippy-top of the statue once you reach the entrance of the castle.

If you're having trouble with the first boss, there's a secret room you can do over and over for red orbs (as long as you don't complete it in time)

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

Capsaicin posted:

Devil May Cry 1

Hop to the tippy-top of the statue once you reach the entrance of the castle.

If you're having trouble with the first boss, there's a secret room you can do over and over for red orbs (as long as you don't complete it in time)

And immediately after you beat the first boss you have an opportunity to grind a huge amount of red orbs very easily. Run from the boss as it chases you down the corridor, then transform into the flying demon that throws lightning. With enough DT you can kill the boss in a couple seconds and reap thousands of red orbs. Save and quit then restart the mission to do it over. You'll need to recharge your DT in the chapel but that too goes quickly.

This trick lets you max out your sword skills with minimal effort. Having the double jump early on is a blessing.

Bemis
Jan 5, 2010
For Arcanum is there a way to set spells to the hotkey bar or fastcast so I don't have to find them and click on them every time I want to use one?

E: ah nm I found it, drag with the right mouse. I keep running out of fatigue though...

Bemis fucked around with this message at 21:01 on May 18, 2010

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

CzarChasm posted:

Mass Effect 1
Finishing up an Achievements run through, getting the last two teammate achievements. Can I do insanity and get the hardcore achievement at the same time, or do they have to be done one at a time?

They have to be done one at a time.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
Just picked up Dawn of Discovery/Anno 1404, Other than writing my will for when I die of malnutrition playing it, what else should I know?

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
BioShock 2

Are there any plasmids or upgrades to weapons that are flat out useless in the mid/late game? Can you gimp yourself or is that game pretty forgiving with upgrade viability?

Are they any that are essential and "get them as fast as possible!!!"?

That Dang Dad fucked around with this message at 00:36 on May 19, 2010

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

handsome only face fucked around with this message at 03:33 on May 15, 2011

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Having just finished God of War II in preparation for III, and seeing no tips for the series on the Wiki, have a few-

-A lot of scenery in this game is breakable. Pots, statues, and funny-looking wall segments can all be smashed to yield experience or sometimes hidden areas.
-If it can't hit a lot of enemies and hit them fast, it's not worth being upgraded. Subweapons are fun but the Blades are your real breadwinners. As for magic, most of the time you'll want to use Cronos Rage and Atlas Quake, ignore the other two.
-Whenever possible, use grab kills as they earn you more experience first (some larger enemies need to be weakened first, a (O) will appear above them when they can be grabbed)
-If you don't need a health/magic refill chest, don't grab it. There's the occasionally bit of backtracking and the extra chest can be a huge help.
-Get good at using the Golden Fleece; not only are deflected shots a great way to hurt bosses but deflected melee attacks make Kratos do a small shockwave and deflected Gorgon shots let you stone everything nearby.

A lot of these hold for #1 and I imagine they'll hold for #3 as well.

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.
I bought Civilisation III on Steam for 75 pence. It's my first Civilisation game and I'd appreciate any tips you guys may have.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Captain Novolin posted:

Just picked up Dawn of Discovery/Anno 1404, Other than writing my will for when I die of malnutrition playing it, what else should I know?

From two pages ago:

Kruller posted:

I posted a lot here.

I enjoy talking about this game too much, so let me know if you want more specific tips.

warburg
Jan 9, 2007

Just bought a DSi since I wanted a handheld for long trips. Picked up Mario & Luigi: Bowers Inside Story since I wanted a simple RPG. Anyone have any tips?

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

warburg posted:

Just bought a DSi since I wanted a handheld for long trips. Picked up Mario & Luigi: Bowers Inside Story since I wanted a simple RPG. Anyone have any tips?

Learn to time your button presses, and prepare to call the Bowser sections the best moment in gaming history.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

warburg posted:

It's a pretty easy game, I'm sure you'll do fine. At least, I don't think there's anything you should know before playing it.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Capsaicin posted:

prepare to call the Bowser sections the best moment in gaming history.

I have to agree with this, except for when you fail and have to retry them, but you can't because you're loving hyperventilating.

Little Blue Couch
Oct 19, 2007

WIRED FOR SOUND
AND
DOWN FOR WHATEVER
So Planescape Torment, right? I'm pretty much just gonna pour all my initial stat points into Wisdom, Intelligence and Charisma. Anything else I oughta know? Also, should I install the restoration pack that like adds the missing spells and quests in, or should I just patch in some bugfixes and then play it vanilla?

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

m2pt5 posted:

I have to agree with this, except for when you fail and have to retry them, but you can't because you're loving hyperventilating.

I thought the characters associated with my avatar were the funniest in the game, hands down, though.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Little Blue Couch posted:

So Planescape Torment, right? I'm pretty much just gonna pour all my initial stat points into Wisdom, Intelligence and Charisma. Anything else I oughta know? Also, should I install the restoration pack that like adds the missing spells and quests in, or should I just patch in some bugfixes and then play it vanilla?

There's a lot of information here: http://wsik.centipeed.com/index.php/Site/PlanescapeTorment

My advice would be to talk to everybody and really appreciate all of the work that went into creating the setting. The combat isn't great, but the story is very interesting and pretty much sets the bar for "Amnesia plagued main character."

As for gameplay, I would recommend using a mod that lets you rest anywhere. It uses a DND ruleset which basically means you have to memorize spells to "load" them before you can use them. If you load up 5 magic missile spells, you can use 5 before you have to rest to reload. The game is kind of particular about where you can and can't rest, so a rest anywhere mod takes a lot of tedious walking to and from restworthy areas out of the game.

Astfgl
Aug 31, 2001

Little Blue Couch posted:

The missing stuff is nice to have, because the vanilla game can feel a little bare in places (like when buying stuff from shops).

Here are some general tips that will save you some time:
- Keep a piece of junk until after you've found the bronze sphere.
- Keep a hammer and prybar.
- Keep the bronze sphere when you find it.
- Keep the Decanter of Endless Water, and be sure to get the keyword.
- You'll fight a wererat in the catacombs. Keep his head--you'll need it very shortly in order to retrieve something very valuable.
- Try as many sensory globes at the Sensorium as possible. You get experience from all of them, but some are particularly interesting.
- Most of your companions (Dak'kon, Morte, Nordrom, Vhailor) can get their stats upgraded through conversation. It pays to talk to them a lot, and to save before you do.
- You can gain two important abilities while in Sigil. In the Mortuary, you can learn to raise the dead, and in the catacombs you can learn to speak to them. Don't leave Sigil until you've accessed both abilities.
- When you go down to the catacombs, be sure to find the severed arm. Bring the arm to Fell, but make sure you ask Dak'kon to translate even if you're intelligent enough to speak to Dabuses on your own.
- You'll run into Mar, who will ask you to deliver a box without opening it. You get the better reward if you deliver the box without opening it. Just make sure you fully explore Curst (the second time you visit) before heading to Carceri in order to claim your prize.
- You can switch between classes at any time, even in the middle of combat. Just make sure you have Dak'kon and/or Annah in your party, and ask them to switch your class whenever you want.
- In case it wasn't clear, when you return to Carceri, doing as many lawful good deeds as possible will weaken the upcoming boss. Good deeds in Carceri include: saving Jasilya, saving Kester, saving the town official, saving the condemned man, stopping the looters, stopping the slavers, killing the gehreleths, freeing the men under the cart, and convincing Ebb to help the town. It can be a challenge to pack them all into such a short time, so move quickly and methodically.
- When you return to Carceri, search the warehouse thoroughly. The ancient scroll is one of the most powerful items in the game (not to mention the fact that you can abuse it pretty easily).
- Combat may be difficult at times, particularly in the early and late games. It's usually advisable, whenever possible, to run past the enemy and avoid combat altogether. It sounds strange, but the combat mechanics in PST aren't even that great.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Astfgl posted:

Deliver a box without opening it. You get the better reward if you deliver the box without opening it. Just make sure you fully explore Curst (the second time you visit) before heading to Carceri in order to claim your prize.
Other way around, actually. Delivering the box without opening it ends the quest, and you never see another incarnation of the box guy.

(Edit while reviewing the my posts literally 10 years later - this is actually false)

While pickpocketing is generally worthless, a certain boss in Garceri has a neat sword on him.

You only get 5 companions, while the two "extras" - one in the Modron Dungeon and one in the prison beneath Curst - are in spots it's hard to backtrack from. Decide who you'd rather go on without (hint - the burning guy).

At the end of the day, PS:T mages are quite powerful, and work well with the advised character build for the Nameless One.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Mar 30, 2020

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

Xander77 posted:

Other way around, actually. Delivering the box without opening it ends the quest, and you never see another incarnation of the box guy.

This is complete bullshit by the way. Opening the box ends the quest, completing the series of conversations without opening it yourself completes it. And then you get your reward in Curst.

Vander
Aug 16, 2004

I am my own hero.

Zero Star posted:

I bought Civilisation III on Steam for 75 pence. It's my first Civilisation game and I'd appreciate any tips you guys may have.

I legitimately mean this: Get Civ 4, because it is a much better Civ game than 3. It has the good stuff of 3 without its bad aspects.

Astfgl
Aug 31, 2001

Xander77 posted:

You fight Mar's fiend either way. If you open the box, you're immediately confronted with a gehreleth(?) that you have to fight, which can be tough at low levels but won't net you anything special (like good XP or new items) in the long run. I think Mar may even show up when the fiend is dead to chide you for not following instructions.

If you don't open the box and deliver it without incident, then when you return to Curst you'll find that Mar's fiend is now a huge loving glabrezu, and he's one of the most powerful and difficult-to-defeat enemies in the whole game. The bonus is that he carries some awesome loot.

crab hat CRAB HAT!
Feb 19, 2008
Doctor Rope
Peter Jackson's King Kong:
Will there always be enough spears to deal with what comes up or should I save ammo? Any tips and pointers in general would be nice too.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.

warburg posted:

For any of the blow-into-the-microphone stuff, don't blow too hard or hold the DS too close to your mouth. Just keep it about six or eight inches away, and blow long and consistent.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

combat engineer posted:

Peter Jackson's King Kong:
Will there always be enough spears to deal with what comes up or should I save ammo? Any tips and pointers in general would be nice too.

I think they always keep spears around, so don't worry about that. It's not a particularly difficult game, so you might as well use your guns when you have fun. If I remember correctly, every gun is better than the handgun, so always take the time to upgrade.

It's an underrated game. Have fun with it.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

rbroddy posted:

For any of the blow-into-the-microphone stuff, don't blow too hard or hold the DS too close to your mouth. Just keep it about six or eight inches away, and blow long and consistent.

You can also rub your finger over the hole. It doesn't work for all games, but it works pretty well for this one.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Tales of Destiny, anyone?

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

Corridor posted:

I don't think it has as many horribly "missable" elements as other Tales games. Don't sell any of the rods you get, especially if they're the ones with a gem on top. They open the big super dungeon at the end of the game (you actually go to it quite early in the game).

It's a -long- game, but I'm pretty sure all Tales games are really long though. I've only played Destiny, Abyss, and Vesperia. Out of those three, Destiny is the worst, but it's definitely not a bad game. Abyss is almost as perfect of a game can be, and I definitely recommend checking it out.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Capsaicin posted:

It's a -long- game, but I'm pretty sure all Tales games are really long though. I've only played Destiny, Abyss, and Vesperia. Out of those three, Destiny is the worst, but it's definitely not a bad game. Abyss is almost as perfect of a game can be, and I definitely recommend checking it out.

Okay well what should I know about Abyss then?

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

Corridor posted:

Okay well what should I know about Abyss then?

Play with a guide for sidequests. Abyss and Vesperia are those kind of games where after every plot point, you basically have to go back to every town you can get to and talk to everybody to trigger side quests that can only start at that exact moment.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

Capsaicin posted:

Play with a guide for sidequests. Abyss and Vesperia are those kind of games where after every plot point, you basically have to go back to every town you can get to and talk to everybody to trigger side quests that can only start at that exact moment.

Don't do this your first playthrough, it'll just drive you nuts.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Vander posted:

I legitimately mean this: Get Civ 4, because it is a much better Civ game than 3. It has the good stuff of 3 without its bad aspects.

Don't listen to the haters, Civ III was great.

Early game, focus on settlers and getting them to set up cities in good spots in a circle around your capital. Each one should be 4 squares apart.

Defending units (spearmen/polearms/muskets etc) are much stronger than the attacking units (archers, macemen, tanks etc) so always take big stacks with you when attacking.

Go for the Leonardo's Workshop wonder as it gives you free techs if you get it first.

Don't play against the French, they suck.

Micro manage your workers early on to focus on high value tiles (horses, gold etc) and build roads and mines on them asap. Later on you can turn them onto automate.

If you do get to a point where you research a tech (like gunpowder) and the resource it needs (saltpeter) is not discovered in your country, go to war immediately to get it. If you can't, then start again because you will fall hopelessly behind.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Corridor posted:

Don't sell any of your items. Midway through the game all your cash disappears but you keep your items to sell if you want. Like all the other Tales games the main character can learn hidden moves only after he's spammed his regular moves a certain number of times. Only the swordian wielders can cast magic so even though they give you three or four non-swordian characters there's absolutely no point whatsoever in recruiting them once their story segments are finished.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Anything I should know for Forza 3?

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

Anything for Metal Gear Ac!d?

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!

Swiss Army Knife posted:

Anything I should know for Forza 3?

The game in single player is fairly simple, just chug through it. Buy lots of cars, drive them, find cars you like. A lot of the cars with ridiculous pricetags like 10 million, the game will give you for free as you level up (like the FXX). I reccomend trying to play with assists off, even on its hardest setting, the AI is so crap that unless you add more challenge in the form of driving without assists, every race will turn into you doing hot laps on your own.

For online, be wary that there is an accepted "best car/s" for most classes, and unless you are high above the average pubbie skill level, you will get stomped by pubbies using said cars. If you put the effort in to properly learn some tracks and learn your favourite car, you will be able to drive that car and stomp idiot pubbies in their loving AWD vipers (another top tip: you can swap a viper to AWD and make it amazingly good) and S15s with some dinky thing like a supra or whatever.
Of course, if you just want to win, buy an S15, buy a tune for it from the marketplace, and proceed to stomp everything online.

a glitch
Jun 27, 2008

no wait stop

Soiled Meat
Just grabbed Divine Divinity from GoG. Anything I should know before getting into it?

Big Sean
Jan 18, 2010
Divine Divinity

Even the best items have somewhat random stats. It may therefore behoove you to save a lot or look at a guide to know where/when they are generated so you can reroll them if that's your bag. The game is very manageable without it though.

Cruise control for rear end kicking is deadly gift (scorpion trap), poison weapon (works on bows), and I think one other skill I can't remember.

Save yourself headache and buy some points in ID.

You get free skills at some points in the game, again if you are seeking to min-max, you'll want to glance at a guide.

Your character is much faster than most enemies, so kiting is frequently effective if you need to use it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Perfect Potato posted:

Don't do this your first playthrough, it'll just drive you nuts.

This. Play through your own way the first time, then use a sidequest guide for NG+.