Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

KNITS MY FEEDS posted:

Has anyone used Interviewstreet before? How hard is it to use and what are the questions usually like?

I sat in on a sales pitch from them not too long ago. It looked easy enough to use from the demo (and inside tip: they tell you how to read from stdin because they need to), and individual companies will generally write their own test questions.

ETA: I really haven't interviewed that many people, but

Good Will Hrunting posted:

This was my point. It strikes me as too easy for anyone with a Comp Sci degree that's seen the problem before. I thought, compared to the other two examples they gave, it was a less efficient test.

you have no idea

fritz fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Apr 24, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug
I went on an interview yesterday on a whim (they contacted me, I don't really want the job) and I managed to gently caress up whiteboard Fibonacci. :downs:

They also asked me the "blue eye/brown eye" logic puzzle, which I'd never heard before. They worded it poorly, so my solution was "everyone can just pluck out one of their eyes and look at it with the remaining eye," which got me a look of horror from the very nice woman conducting that portion of the interview.

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit
:yotj:
Aight so the job I got is averaging 13 hours a week, and I'm looking for something full time. Is it a good idea to list this on my resume, since I've only had it a month, or should I omit it? A staffing agency I went to recently said it's fine (especially since it's part time). They also gave me a written test in three sections - junior, mid level and senior - and I pretty much aced it. Oddly enough the Senior part I did better than the mid level.

I wish I was getting what I thought I was - in writing - but alas, in this industry I can just find another goddamn job.

Does anyone know any schools that offer senior level courses online or at night? I'm really, really, really sick of school, poverty and being stuck with the folks, so I plan on working full time for at least a year if at all possible, and going part time. My school will start with at least some in the fall, so I'll see how that goes.

The other thing I'm wondering is how one goes about job shopping with the intent of finding relocation offers. Is there any real trick to it besides having enough experience that they'd pony up for a relocation? I have a friend in LA who has offered use of her spare bedroom, and the job market has to be a bit bigger there than in Jacksonville FL, but I'm not exactly wealthy enough to fly out and start going to interviews, nor could I afford to move my things over yet.

I'd certainly take LA over Jacksonville, but even with a place to crash I don't know how to use the opportunity given to me. Seems I'll have to wait until I can afford it myself.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Every big tech company (and other big companies that are willing to pay $$$ for software talent, like finance) will fly you out for interviews and pay for everything.

Sometimes you can even do multiple company interviews on the same trip. I had a scheduled trip to interview with Microsoft, and then Amazon contacted me to fly me out, and they were willing to work with me to just do the interview on the same trip as MS.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
I'm at a cross roads. See my previous couple posts in this thread for more details. So at this job I hate and do nothing at, I'm now able to telecommute 3/5 days a week (presumably more after a period). I make poo poo all for the area (according to glassdoor), and theoretically could be making 60+k at my current position at most companies, which is ~15k more than I'm currently making (does that figure sound accurate for a developer with 2 years of experience?).

So my conundrum. Do I apply for new jobs or do I use my free time at home (most of the time...) to improve my resume (open source, app development, some sort of marketable experience outside of a company I can show off) and learn/develop an app to sell for extra income?

I hate our job field.I love coding, but I hate coding after coding for 8 hours. But as a new developer I need to do a ton of side projects to show off and learn new languages and technologies to get better jobs.catch 22.

I'd say my aptitude is pretty banging for what I know, I just have a lot to learn and not much time (or energy) to learn it. When I do tho, I'm always eager to learn and improve, and frequently receive praise from supervisors and co-workers, for whatever that's worth (salary expectations or if I should apply now etc.)

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

2banks1swap.avi posted:

Aight so the job I got is averaging 13 hours a week, and I'm looking for something full time. Is it a good idea to list this on my resume, since I've only had it a month, or should I omit it? A staffing agency I went to recently said it's fine (especially since it's part time). They also gave me a written test in three sections - junior, mid level and senior - and I pretty much aced it. Oddly enough the Senior part I did better than the mid level.

I wish I was getting what I thought I was - in writing - but alas, in this industry I can just find another goddamn job.

Omitting it is fine, a lie of omission isn't a lie in resume land. I wouldn't pad out your previous gig to cover this time or anything but not listing something is fine.

Particularly with the second paragraph. You have a written offer and they're not meeting it? :wtc:

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Mr. Crow posted:

I'm at a cross roads. See my previous couple posts in this thread for more details. So at this job I hate and do nothing at, I'm now able to telecommute 3/5 days a week (presumably more after a period). I make poo poo all for the area (according to glassdoor), and theoretically could be making 60+k at my current position at most companies, which is ~15k more than I'm currently making (does that figure sound accurate for a developer with 2 years of experience?).

So my conundrum. Do I apply for new jobs or do I use my free time at home (most of the time...) to improve my resume (open source, app development, some sort of marketable experience outside of a company I can show off) and learn/develop an app to sell for extra income?

I hate our job field.I love coding, but I hate coding after coding for 8 hours. But as a new developer I need to do a ton of side projects to show off and learn new languages and technologies to get better jobs.catch 22.

I'd say my aptitude is pretty banging for what I know, I just have a lot to learn and not much time (or energy) to learn it. When I do tho, I'm always eager to learn and improve, and frequently receive praise from supervisors and co-workers, for whatever that's worth (salary expectations or if I should apply now etc.)

Let me put it this way, I have one year of development experience and I just signed with a company that has an expectation of ~6 hours of programming a day for $70k, and in an area that isn't incredibly expensive. I did this with no sample work from my personal time. You are getting screwed, look for a new job.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
Well I just had a coding test with one of the largest marketing firms in the world, which I thought I completely bombed... but the code administrator just got back to me and said everything looks good! I'm very surprised, I had to leave a question out of 4 blank because my SQL statements (especially w/ unions/joins) are not very strong at all. One of the questions I couldn't figure out how to do in straight Javascript, so I just did it in Node.js (where it said only Javascript/jQuery were allowed), and I don't know anything about C# class inheritance which was another part of a question. I did get to use some C# class knowledge regarding private variable knowledge, which I just learned yesterday from everyone here though, so that was cool.

Also HP said I was a bit too JR for the position I applied for (the recruiter didn't even tell me what the position was, it wasn't any of the three I applied for which I thought it was), but apparently they're going to see if I fit in any other spots and get back to me within the week, so apparently the interview portion went OK. One more interview to go next week with a local company, and another one that I'm waiting to hear back from. Hopefully one of them bites.

E: I'm learning that some recruiters can be very unprofessional

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Apr 24, 2013

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Knyteguy posted:

I don't know anything about C# class inheritance

Then don't apply for jobs as a .NET developer until you do. It's fundamental.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Ithaqua posted:

Then don't apply for jobs as a .NET developer until you do. It's fundamental.

The company and their recruiter contacted me for the position.

E: Oh, well all I needed to do was add was "fooClass : barClass" to give my class inheritance I think. The rest of the question was correct.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Apr 24, 2013

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Knyteguy posted:

I'm very surprised, I had to leave a question out of 4 blank because my SQL statements (especially w/ unions/joins) are not very strong at all.

SQL is really easy to pick up, you could be functional in like a day and competent in like a week and thats only putting in minimum effort. The only concern would be if you need to build some really complicated or ruthlessly efficient stored procedures, but probably not.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

So a company essentially offered me a position via e-mail but never really said what I'd be paid. I inquired about it and they said that I should come to their office first and be evaluated by one of their team first.

I think they were assuming that I'd be an unpaid intern or something. How would you guys proceed?

Sang-
Nov 2, 2007

Knyteguy posted:

I had a recruiter apply me for a position which was entirely C# based, which I discovered when investigating the company. I raised this with the recruiter and they told me that it would be fine.

I went to the company and apparently the recruiter had told them I knew C# and before I realized anything they basically left me alone in a room with a laptop, visual studio and a short brief. I had to call them back in five minutes later and explain I didn't know C# at all, never used Visual Studio, and basically had written out on paper what my design plan would be.

They told me I had wasted their time and made me feel like poo poo really.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
Recruiters will go after you with the "HOW DARE YOU WASTE MY TIME" routine when they have no other cards. Their problems are not your problems. Just say the position isn't what you're looking for, say goodbye, and if they keep going just hang up.

e: Oh, you're saying the manager did this. Well, that still shows that the recruiter's interests are not necessarily your interests. If the recruiter tells you that the company doesn't really want C#, then make sure you have some clear statement of what they do want before going to the interview.

KNITS MY FEEDS posted:

So a company essentially offered me a position via e-mail but never really said what I'd be paid. I inquired about it and they said that I should come to their office first and be evaluated by one of their team first.
"Essentially an offer" that doesn't include a rate of pay is not an offer at all. Proceed as if you were being asked to come in for an interview, because you are.

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Apr 25, 2013

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

Gazpacho posted:

"Essentially an offer" that doesn't include a rate of pay is not an offer at all. Proceed as if you were being asked to come in for an interview, because you are.

Good point. The thing is I already came in for interviews before and now they want to do it again. Maybe I just misinterpreted their initial e-mails and this is a second round.

Wasse
Jan 16, 2010

Knyteguy posted:

Well I just had a coding test with one of the largest marketing firms in the world, which I thought I completely bombed... but the code administrator just got back to me and said everything looks good! I'm very surprised, I had to leave a question out of 4 blank because my SQL statements (especially w/ unions/joins) are not very strong at all. One of the questions I couldn't figure out how to do in straight Javascript, so I just did it in Node.js (where it said only Javascript/jQuery were allowed), and I don't know anything about C# class inheritance which was another part of a question. I did get to use some C# class knowledge regarding private variable knowledge, which I just learned yesterday from everyone here though, so that was cool.

Also HP said I was a bit too JR for the position I applied for (the recruiter didn't even tell me what the position was, it wasn't any of the three I applied for which I thought it was), but apparently they're going to see if I fit in any other spots and get back to me within the week, so apparently the interview portion went OK. One more interview to go next week with a local company, and another one that I'm waiting to hear back from. Hopefully one of them bites.

I don't know how many companies do this, but sometimes the technical test is not just how much you get right, but how much it correlates to your resume.

As in.. Failing the C# question is fine. Unless you claim to be an expert.

Not knowing everything in SQL is fine. Unless you said you have 5 years of SQL experience.

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit
:yotj:

Hughlander posted:

Omitting it is fine, a lie of omission isn't a lie in resume land. I wouldn't pad out your previous gig to cover this time or anything but not listing something is fine.

Particularly with the second paragraph. You have a written offer and they're not meeting it? :wtc:

"We will plan on 15-20 hours a week" isn't "you will get 15 hours a week of pay period at least."

Mystery Machine
Oct 12, 2008
Hey there, thread, I've just gotten off community college, and I'm looking for a serious job. I've found a couple of jobs I'd like to apply to, so I've set up my github and am getting my resume together. I've come to the conclusion that I'll definitely need to see someone more experienced with this stuff to completely iron out any kinks, but does anyone in the thread have any suggestions?

It's still super rough, I'd just like to know if I'm heading in the wrong direction altogether. Thanks!

Edit: Um, I know I should continue my education, but for personal reasons, immediately transferring to a four year college won't work for me. I plan to transfer to a four year college as soon as it is financially possible for me.

Mystery Machine fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Apr 27, 2013

naughty joystick
Jun 6, 2011
I just want start off by saying this thread and goons has been absolutely invaluable in helping me get fantastic internships for the past two summer, so thanks!

I had an interview this morning and they told me they'll let me know their decision by the end of next week. I did another interview, went out with friends and came home to find the company from this morning sent me an offer within 30 mins after the interview. My problem is that I'm still in the process of interviewing with other companies and the one internship that I really want won't proceed with their second interview until next week (and probably won't make a decision until end of next week). The email said to come in next week and provide them with my information and sort of written with the presumption that I've already decided to accept the offer. I guess I'm just looking for suggestions on how to tell them 'hey you guys are great but I'm considering other offers and I might not be able to make a decision that fast'. The email congratulated me and welcomed me to the team so I'm not terribly excited having to write this reply.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

When you guys send your transcripts to an employer, do you send your whole transcript or is sending the comp-sci only portion acceptable?

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies

KNITS MY FEEDS posted:

When you guys send your transcripts to an employer, do you send your whole transcript or is sending the comp-sci only portion acceptable?
For my internship, they required an official transcript to validate my claimed GPA.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)
What kind of crazy deranged companies require an official transcript?

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

naughty joystick posted:

I just want start off by saying this thread and goons has been absolutely invaluable in helping me get fantastic internships for the past two summer, so thanks!

I had an interview this morning and they told me they'll let me know their decision by the end of next week. I did another interview, went out with friends and came home to find the company from this morning sent me an offer within 30 mins after the interview. My problem is that I'm still in the process of interviewing with other companies and the one internship that I really want won't proceed with their second interview until next week (and probably won't make a decision until end of next week). The email said to come in next week and provide them with my information and sort of written with the presumption that I've already decided to accept the offer. I guess I'm just looking for suggestions on how to tell them 'hey you guys are great but I'm considering other offers and I might not be able to make a decision that fast'. The email congratulated me and welcomed me to the team so I'm not terribly excited having to write this reply.

It's their fault for assuming. Keep in mind, you owe them nothing.

Just respectfully let them know that you're in the process of interviewing and are waiting to hear back about a few other positions. If you have a reasonable idea of when you'll be able to let them know, tell them.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

shrughes posted:

What kind of crazy deranged companies require an official transcript?

The government, usually.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
The first company I worked for out of college wanted a transcript, just to verify that I hadn't lied about my GPA or whatever. I didn't see that as being any different then them asking for W-2's or a paystub to verify that I worked at the places I claimed to have interned at.

evensevenone
May 12, 2001
Glass is a solid.
People do that? That's even more ridiculous than asking for a transcript.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
"plans to use PHP" sticks out as padding. Did you code PHP in that position or not? If you did, say what you worked on. If not, leave it out and combine the two points.

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Apr 27, 2013

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

Mystery Machine posted:

Hey there, thread, I've just gotten off community college, and I'm looking for a serious jeeeoooorb

Note that I might put some bad advice in my reply either because I'm a spergy retard or I'M JUST TESTING your keeping on by your toesome.

Don't use bad grammar.

Don't inconsistently use periods.

Ruby on Rails is not a database, it's a web framework (and nobody but scrublords use its database access stuff anyway? So I thought. I wouldn't know).

The .NET Framework isn't a framework.

Visual Studio has a version number, you might as well put it. That way it feels like you did something more real and specific with it. Or drop it, nobody really cares what you use for an IDE. I hope. ("I use C#. And I use Visual Studio for my IDE! (Surprise, motherfucker!)")

What is "assembly"? You're talking about assembly programming on the nibble-addressing HP Saturn processor featuring 20-bit and 64-bit registers, right?

You tested multi-threaded code. What does that mean? I've tested multi-threaded code. That doesn't mean I dealt with the multi-threading. What's so special about testing multi-threaded code? What did you do that makes it so interesting?

Don't say Javascript/HTML/CSS. Use commas, or if that somehow seems wrong, use something else.

The organization of a resume's Skill Set defines what kind of person the developer is. Do you define yourself as a developer skilled in languages, frameworks, IDEs, databases, and version control?

Reduce "intermediate to basic" to "intermediate" or "basic" or "interbasically scrumptulent". Generally do similar things in other parts. Remove anything the reader doesn't give a poo poo about. For example, the reader doesn't care that this website has a Comics part or Prints part. The reader doesn't care that your legacy C code came from a contractor. Emotionally speaking, like 25% of the content of your resume is "Parasoft C/C++ Test Unit Testing Framework". Blot away the cruft until you have the most debloviate resume possible. Then fill it with all the real programming stuff you've done, actual things you've done, not phrases like "for easy parsing" (presumably added in case the reader thought XML was designed to make things harder to parse!) as much as you can. Then inflate it back up.

And of course drop the "plans to use PHP". Replace it with "plans to use Go" :v:.

One more thing.

Mystery Machine posted:

Improved old unit tests

go on....

Mystery Machine posted:

so that they better tested our software.

:science:

shrughes fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Apr 27, 2013

Mystery Machine
Oct 12, 2008
Thanks a lot for the advice! I don't really like selling myself, so making a resume feels really unnatural.

I got someone to take a look at it before I read this, and that person helped out with a lot of the issues you said I had. From there, I took your advice, and pruned out a lot of stuff that I felt was just padding. Took out the multithreaded stuff, because I don't think I have anything worthwhile to say about it. I realized that if I were asked questions about Rails or assembly in an interview, I'd probably look foolish, so I just removed all note of them. I tested .NET stuff, but I think I don't know enough about it to want to answer questions about it, so I snipped it out too. I removed a lot of the padding and wordiness of my job descriptions, and came up with something that looks like this.

Any more criticism would be greatly appreciated. I'm a lot happier with how it is at the moment.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)
It looks a lot better now, I might look a bit more closely later, I'm in the middle of a life counseling session for some goon that wants to quit his ~$100k paying job a week in and work at an awful startup that would be willing to hire a lead dev with 0 years of experience (him).

I'm not sure that "Visual Studio Version Control" is a real thing. Is it? It seems out of place.

Karanth
Dec 25, 2003
I need to finish Xenogears sometime, damn it.

Mystery Machine posted:

Any more criticism would be greatly appreciated. I'm a lot happier with how it is at the moment.

Anyone who says they have "high familiarity with C++" on a resume has just painted a gigantic target on their forehead. You'd better be able to back that up. Interviewers from the big names love running candidates who claim to really know C++ through the gauntlet.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

shrughes posted:

I'm not sure that "Visual Studio Version Control" is a real thing. Is it? It seems out of place.

It's not.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)
Okay, here is more feedback.

- "high familiarity" seems like a weaselly way to describe your C++ and Python skill. Can you write good C++? That's the question, not how familiar you are with it. So how should you word that? You don't want to do what I did on my resume, so I won't tell you what I did. I'm not sure how to write that you "know" C++. I mean, do you have actual experience writing C++? What have you written in C++? Why's that not on your resume? There should be C++ and Python things on your resume if you claim familiarity. I noticed some on your github link. Mention them more specifically in the resume! It's more visible then.

- Grammar: "with C, and C#" should be "with C and C#".

- Speaking of C++ familiarity, lern 2 use const references.

Smugdog Millionaire
Sep 14, 2002

8) Blame Icefrog
Goons I'm trying to find a job but I must be doing something wrong because I've applied to dozens of places and the best I can get is a rejection email. I'm applying to places all up and down the West coast because I'm looking to relocate. I think I'm a smart and productive programmer but clearly employers don't see that. Is my resume garbage? http://gobiner.github.io/

My history is all C# but I don't feel like learning a new language for a new job is a big deal so I've been applying to places that use other technologies, though not to jobs that are "[X] Engineer" expecting 3 years of experience with language [X].

Lurchington
Jan 2, 2003

Forums Dragoon

Smugdog Millionaire posted:

Goons I'm trying to find a job but I must be doing something wrong because I've applied to dozens of places and the best I can get is a rejection email. I'm applying to places all up and down the West coast because I'm looking to relocate. I think I'm a smart and productive programmer but clearly employers don't see that. Is my resume garbage? http://gobiner.github.io/

My history is all C# but I don't feel like learning a new language for a new job is a big deal so I've been applying to places that use other technologies, though not to jobs that are "[X] Engineer" expecting 3 years of experience with language [X].

I dunno, seems pretty solid, although this may be a typo:

quote:

Worked with existent client code and vendors to provide new functionality such as building in UPS freight shipping on top of an inflexible e-commerce platform

existing?

edit: as a resume-reader, I always love seeing a github/bitbucket/etc repo, so props there

Lurchington fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Apr 28, 2013

in_cahoots
Sep 12, 2011

Mystery Machine posted:

I took a look at your Github- if Project Euler is the extent of your experience with C++, then you don't know it as well as you think you do. Also, you say that problems 7 and 13 contain extensive write-ups, but problem 13 isn't actually listed.

Mystery Machine
Oct 12, 2008
Oops, the problem 13 thing was a typo, it should be 12.

I think I'll be changing words high familiarity to simply intermediate. My school's classes were all in C++, so I've done a lot more with it than just Euler problems. I hadn't saved up anything from school, but then again, I don't think I've worked on anything particularly interesting in school. My job also had me writing in both C++ and C#. Either way, it was my intention to highlight that those were the two languages I most used/enjoyed, which is why I chose the word familiarity over something like expertise. But, since it seems its not really communicating that, I'll just edit it to intermediate, since I wouldn't claim expert knowledge of either.

My next big "for fun" programming project will be in C++, so I'll have something more tangible to post up on github.

With that being said, should I add in a section for personal projects or something? I have 2 1000-ish line Python games, one made in about a week for fun, and one made for a Capstone presentation for the Honors Program in college, that I could try to present more clearly. There are all these untangibles that I don't know how to present clearly, like side projects and in class stuff. Does anyone even give a poo poo?
Edit: Removed part about the event, it's kinda lame.

Regarding the Visual Studio version control thing, it was integrated with Visual Studio, I asked my boss and he told me it was TFS (Team Foundation Server). Though, I dunno, it's been half a year since the job and now I'm second guessing how familiar I still am with the software.

I'll be reading up on const references, thanks for the heads up!

Mystery Machine fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Apr 28, 2013

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

astr0man posted:

The first company I worked for out of college wanted a transcript, just to verify that I hadn't lied about my GPA or whatever. I didn't see that as being any different then them asking for W-2's or a paystub to verify that I worked at the places I claimed to have interned at.

There is a company called The Work Number that is a consolidated clearinghouse for employment and salary verification. They're owned by Equifax and a lot of employers report data to them since it frees them up from having to answer salary verification calls every time someone wants to refi their mortgage or buy a car.

You can request your data from them and it is a little nuts - the file I got had a line item for the gross amount on every paycheck I have received in the last ten years, across multiple jobs.

thepedestrian
Dec 13, 2004
hey lady, you call him dr. jones!

Smugdog Millionaire posted:

Small thing but make it a white background/dark text. It's a resume, people will likely print it if you're interviewing somewhere, also black on white is just easier to read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

shrughes posted:

The .NET Framework isn't a framework.
Did you mean "Basic .NET" is not a framework? Because that would be right.

Regarding MM's resume: .NET is a platform. The .NET Framework is a framework consisting of classes Microsoft provides for development on that platform. "Visual Basic.NET" is a language Microsoft supports for development on that platform. You can list whatever combination of these you used, but if you tell a hiring manager you used a framework called "Basic .NET" alarm bells will go off.

There is no "Visual Studio Version Control" but there is "Team Foundation Server" version control, which MM might or might not have used.

You can and should say what technologies you relied on to accomplish various development goals in a position (e.g. in the kjmartinet position).

Mystery Machine posted:

With that being said, should I add in a section for personal projects or something? I have 2 1000-ish line Python games, one made in about a week for fun, and one made for a Capstone presentation for the Honors Program in college, that I could try to present more clearly. There are all these untangibles that I don't know how to present clearly, like side projects and in class stuff. Does anyone even give a poo poo?
Yes. Yes they do give a poo poo. Yes. Yes.

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Apr 29, 2013