Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NoodleBox
Jul 11, 2009

Stuntman posted:

Not 100% if this would be the proper thread, but what would you guys recommend for someone looking to get better at Quake 3? Is it all real practice, or is there poo poo I should be doing?

Its pretty much practice and residual skills from playing other FPS games

The most important aspects are being able to keep aim while jumping around and moving at high speed, knowing how projectile weapons function (like knowing how long it will take for a rocket to hit, and where a grenade will land after bouncing it off the wall), and of course knowing the layout of the maps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Yeah, Quake 3 is a beast to get into. I used to be really good, never god tier, of course.

The most important things I feel, are movement and the ability to switch weapons on the fly for how you need them. This is key, knowing just when to rocket, or grenade, or whatever. But, this comes with situational awareness of the maps.

If you haven't mastered "bunny hopping", this is maybe step 1 of BEING AWESOME. Air control, my friend.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Due to the simplicity of Quake 3's controls, I've found it enormously helpful to directly map the weapon keys all around the movement keys.

I'm a lefty, so I use UHJK for movement. I have the rocket launcher mapped to L and the railgun mapped to G. The others placed similarly, but since those two are the mainstay weapons of Q3, you really need to be able to swap between them instantly.

E: vvvv Awesome, I didn't know that.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jun 17, 2012

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

On Quake Live, the weapon keys ARE bound to all around your movement keys. Makes perfect sense.

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

WHAT? THIS IS MY REGULAR SPEAKING VOICE.
Is this better?
Nearby weapon selection keys are great, but I take it a step further and put the "go to" weapon selection on various mouse buttons. Rocket, grenade, and railgun are all on the mouse, and LG is on spacebar (jump is on RMB). Stuff you can hit with a finger that isn't currently trying to move. I started using that at QuakeLive after years of playing all of the Quakes, and now I pretty much do it in any shooter I ever play.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Essobie posted:

Nearby weapon selection keys are great, but I take it a step further and put the "go to" weapon selection on various mouse buttons. Rocket, grenade, and railgun are all on the mouse, and LG is on spacebar (jump is on RMB). Stuff you can hit with a finger that isn't currently trying to move. I started using that at QuakeLive after years of playing all of the Quakes, and now I pretty much do it in any shooter I ever play.

Some of us have to use ambidextrous mouses. I'm pretty well satisfied with my Razer Abyssus, even though it only has three buttons and a wheel.

Being left-handed rules :rolleye:

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
Newbies still want to play games like Quake 3 and UT99 online? I just play with bots only now. Sure, I may not be learning good online techniques with them, but at least I never have to get worried about getting constantly stomped online by creepy Scandinavian/Eastern European men that's played the game for 10 years in a row, can use whatever mods and mutators I want, and I can play more than three or so maps total. :v:

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I wouldn't say I'm a newbie. I can still stomp pretty consistently in FFA in the bracket Quake Live puts me into, but I wanna get on the level of some of the creepy Eastern European guys.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

I never understood why people want to play the same maps over and over again. There are plenty of maps that are fun to play besides Q3DM6. Like I had a lot of fun playing 2vs2 RA/CA on DM5.

Is that all is left of the QL community, Scandinavians/Eastern Europeans? Quakecon is coming up so you get to watch tournament play.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

SPACE HOMOS posted:

I never understood why people want to play the same maps over and over again. There are plenty of maps that are fun to play besides Q3DM6. Like I had a lot of fun playing 2vs2 RA/CA on DM5.

It's the same with most fps communities isn't it? I barely ever played the UT games online because it felt like they played the same map over and over again. They might as well release CS:GO with Dust and Dust2.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Rather Dashing posted:

It's the same with most fps communities isn't it? I barely ever played the UT games online because it felt like they played the same map over and over again. They might as well release CS:GO with Dust and Dust2.

MORPHEUS > DECK 16 > MORPHEUS > DECK 16...

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

UT 99 had lots of good maps but everyone played 2-3 (and face on ctf) to boredom. Assault mode was really fun but wasn't popular either.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

You could pick almost any map on UT 99, and have a great time. I can't recall any names, of course. Screw Face, though, it was all about that other CTF map with the lava...

Someone help me out, I'm about to install the directx renderer to play a few rounds.

Also, Unreal Gold co-op would be a lot of fun.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
UK2K4 had CTF-Magma which was an awesome map with a castle on either side of an active volcano that you had to run through but that's not it.

e: LAVA GIANT. that's the map you're thinking of. completely great map

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Guillermus posted:

UT 99 had lots of good maps but everyone played 2-3 (and face on ctf) to boredom. Assault mode was really fun but wasn't popular either.

Just thinking about Facing Worlds (and other horse poo poo CTF maps like 2fort, though that's not UT99) is making me physically ill. Oh boy sniping from the tower for ten consecutive hours :hellyeah: !!!!

UT99 had great CTF maps but all anyone ever wanted to play was Facing Worlds.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
UT99 had lots of fun DM maps, like Codex, Curse2, Healpod, Liandri, Pressure, Pyramid, Hyperblast and Morbias][. Most of the Domination, CTF and Assault maps were fun as well.

It's disappointing to see that online UT99 players have ignored all of them in favor of endless Deck16][, Face and lovely, Killbox-quality custom maps. :smith:

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.
Facing bases maps are among the most popular maps because they're the least complicated. You focus more on fighting the enemy rather than doing complicated manuevers due to the design. Maps like Facing Worlds (UT*), 2fort (TF*), Nuketown (BLOPs). They follow the same basic archetype with a few little twists.

I can't think of a Q3 map that fits the bill though, I never played much Q3. Longest Yard maybe?

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't think Quake 3 had any maps that really fit the bill due to Quake 3 having competent map designers.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Irish Taxi Driver posted:

Facing bases maps are among the most popular maps because they're the least complicated. You focus more on fighting the enemy rather than doing complicated manuevers due to the design. Maps like Facing Worlds (UT*), 2fort (TF*), Nuketown (BLOPs). They follow the same basic archetype with a few little twists.

I can't think of a Q3 map that fits the bill though, I never played much Q3. Longest Yard maybe?

Longest wasn't a facing bases map though, it was just a big box arena with no walls. Which wasn't much better, but with instagib/grapple mods it turned into more of an aim/acrobatics challenge, which is a little better. I was thinking earlier of Q3CTF4 (Space CTF), which was a facing bases CTF map with no walls. The Q3 CTF maps sucked rear end, but that was the worst of them.

Stuntman posted:

I don't think Quake 3 had any maps that really fit the bill due to Quake 3 having competent map designers.

Let's not get too crazy here. Q3 had some alarmingly terrible maps. It just had some pretty good ones too.

Zero Karizma
Jul 8, 2004

It's ok now, just tell me what happened...
Counterpoint: Facing Worlds was hilarious and fun.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Stuntman posted:

Is that a slight against UT99's maps? Because if so, I am going to cut your loving head off.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

About half of these http://www.somethingawful.com/hosted/cranky/index.php?game=1

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.

RyokoTK posted:

Longest wasn't a facing bases map though, it was just a big box arena with no walls. Which wasn't much better, but with instagib/grapple mods it turned into more of an aim/acrobatics challenge, which is a little better. I was thinking earlier of Q3CTF4 (Space CTF), which was a facing bases CTF map with no walls. The Q3 CTF maps sucked rear end, but that was the worst of them.

Yeah, I was just going by its mirrored layout. Theres that one with the pillars that you fight Xaero in the last match that might fit the bill. The Very End Of You (q3tourney6)? I do remember seeing that one a few times.

Stuntman posted:

Q3 had a lot of freedom of movement and not many mechanics to design around (crouch/prone, camping, etc). If you understand multiplayer flow enough its pretty easy to map for.

EDIT: I like map chat.

Irish Taxi Driver fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jun 19, 2012

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Is that a slight against UT99's maps? Because if so, I am going to cut your loving head off.

UT99's map designers were way better at giving their maps a personality instead of Quake 3's generic-looking maps that are either "666 EVIL 666", "boring tech base" or "boring tech base floating in a black skybox". :colbert:

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Not counting CTF maps?

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

closeted republican posted:

UT99's map designers were way better at giving their maps a personality instead of Quake 3's generic-looking maps that are either "666 EVIL 666", "boring tech base" or "boring tech base floating in a black skybox". :colbert:

Agreeing with this, I really hate the Quake aesthetic.

But I also disliked how many Space Egyptian maps eventually made their way into the Unreal Tournament games. Facing Worlds 3 was the worst.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Yodzilla posted:

Agreeing with this, I really hate the Quake aesthetic.

But I also disliked how many Space Egyptian maps eventually made their way into the Unreal Tournament games. Facing Worlds 3 was the worst.

The Q3 aesthetic at least made it unique. "Space Gothic" might be stupid, but you have to admit, there aren't a lot of other games that look like Quake 3.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
If I remember correctly, one of the space maps in Q3A was made in an hour to win a bet. I forget which one, though.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

Hadlock posted:

Not counting CTF maps?

I never played much Q3. I didn't think they actually had any maps made for CTF. :blush:

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

Q3 came with a handful of CTF maps and really only one was good. Then the released the expansion which added some more and those really huge levels. QL might have some new ones also.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
CTF as a game-mode peaked at some combination of Unreal Tournament, Loki Quake 2, and Team Fortress Classic. Now the only popular game with a CTF mode is Team Fortress 2 and I don't really care for the CTF in that game. I really miss CTF :smith: While I'm being sad about first person shooters, I wish Unreal Tournament 3 was more popular, I really like that game.

edit: I just remembered Tribes: Ascend! There is hope!

Yodzilla posted:

Yeah the Black version was pretty good but the damage had been done by then.

I never got to play the Titan game-mode because all the servers were gone by the time I got to it. I heard it was really fun too

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jun 19, 2012

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Yeah the Black version was pretty good but the damage had been done by then.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

CTF as a game-mode peaked at some combination of Unreal Tournament, Loki Quake 2, and Team Fortress Classic. Now the only popular game with a CTF mode is Team Fortress 2 and I don't really care for the CTF in that game. I really miss CTF :smith: While I'm being sad about first person shooters, I wish Unreal Tournament 3 was more popular, I really like that game.

edit: I just remembered Tribes: Ascend! There is hope!

I never got to play the Titan game-mode because all the servers were gone by the time I got to it. I heard it was really fun too

The Halo franchise has always been a pretty fun CTF experience, for me. Though I've never been a Blood Gulch fan.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I too wish UT3 were more popular, as it really has a lot going for it, including what I think is the best take on the whole Domination/Assault team-based thing they were always trying to refine throughout the franchise.

Honestly I think the main thing working against it was art direction. If you took the same exact game and gave it the more simple and colorful aesthetic of UT99 I legitimately believe it would be a lot more fun to play. The characters and maps are actually so detailed that you feel like you're going to break something if you have too much fun.

Not to mention the fact that the character designs are so cluttered that they have to put blue & red glows around them in team modes because otherwise you wouldn't be able to tell what colors they are.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

What was the mode in UT2K4 with the nodes? Onslaught? gently caress, I loved that.

Also, I'm trying to remember that great (UT2K4) map that was outside, and was almost like a ruined Grecian temple or something. I think it started with 'A'. Archangel? Asbestos? Anyway, I loved playing that one, too.

gently caress, I need UT2K4 again.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

What was the mode in UT2K4 with the nodes? Onslaught? gently caress, I loved that.

Also, I'm trying to remember that great (UT2K4) map that was outside, and was almost like a ruined Grecian temple or something. I think it started with 'A'. Archangel? Asbestos? Anyway, I loved playing that one, too.

gently caress, I need UT2K4 again.

Onslaught was amazing if you had at last 10 people playing, preferably 16+, with vehicles everywhere.

Asbestos is (obviously) an industrial map, perhaps you're thinking of Albatross? It's one of my favorites, too.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Sir Lemming posted:

Honestly I think the main thing working against it was art direction. If you took the same exact game and gave it the more simple and colorful aesthetic of UT99 I legitimately believe it would be a lot more fun to play. The characters and maps are actually so detailed that you feel like you're going to break something if you have too much fun.

This is exactly how I feel. UT99 had this colorful and eclectic charm to it that seemed to have been outlawed after 2000. The bright, hazard-yellow Flak Cannon, the simple AR-15 Sniper Rifle, the Transformer-esque rocket launcher. The hodge-podge cast of participants. The levels were rife with gimmicks, just the right amount of detail, and colored lights. :rock: You felt good simply playing the game. It was visually positive and stimulating.

UT3 was this sterile, cluttered, mega-grim setting that was an assault on the senses. The weapons had no personality: they were indistinguishable messes of gray and brown. The characters had no personality: they were indistinguishable messes in the same techno-sarcophagus "armor." The levels were visually overwhelming and yet strikingly ugly, oppressive messes straight out of a survival horror game. You felt like garbage after playing the game for 20 minutes, like you'd been carving up squid carcasses or something.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jun 19, 2012

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
If I remember correctly there was some post-processing effect you could remove from UT3 that not only made the game run faster but looked better and more colorful as well.

Still the game was a broken mess at launch and after that CliffyB has sworn off PC gaming forever. Hurf.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

The game still is a broken mess. I cannot play it online because it insists my Gamespy login is wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Man, the further into Doom 2 I'm getting with Brutal Mod the more of a slog it feels like. The constant hit scan enemies and sheer rate of fire they dish out makes the game feel like a horrible war of attrition more than anything fast paced or arcadey, maybe I'm playing it wrong.

I'm spending far more time with the PSX Wad now, with as close to 'vanilla' as I can - no jump/crouch, etc, and I'm enjoying that far more. If I could get the extra gore, without the extra enemy shrieking noises, that'd be grand. To me the PSX version has always been the more atmospheric and ~immersive~ experience.