Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice
I don't know why you guys are so down on this, I did some light googling and Stockton appears to no longer be the murder capital of California! Also, it was the one city hit the hardest in terms of unemployment and falling housing prices during the recession, so grandma's 20k down payment gift can probably go a long ways there!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.
If you're looking at jobs in Stockton, make sure to check out your options in Fresno & Merced too.

Isurion
Jul 28, 2007
I'm not arguing that Stockton blows but Reno also has a reputation for being a hole.

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006
I live within an hourish of Stockton and it blows. Like 6 months ago there was an armed bank robbery where the police ended up shooting and killing one of the hostages. They can't staff a full police force. There's murders at least once a month. It is genuinely a horrible city. I think working there you'd be relatively okay, but definitely wouldn't live there.

If you genuinely decide to pursue a job in the Central Valley pm me and I can tell you the nicer places to live.

EDIT: Like 6-9 months ago there was a news story about a lady in Stockton complaining that people drive by and just shoot at random houses and she pointed out bullet holes all over her house. Like. It's a really pretty bad city.

Bugamol fucked around with this message at 07:47 on May 30, 2015

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

When I lived on Moffett Field in Sunnyvale, we'd take trips all over CA and by far the central valley was the worst part of CA. I can't imagine anyone wants to live there. At least the central coast by Arroyo Grande or San Luis Obispo are pretty and have some charm. The part of california that's not the coast, mammoth, or lake Tahoe pretty much looks like West Texas. Sequoia can come play too.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Are you going to continue to interview for jobs outside of Reno? What are you plans to address your safety net and multiple pets issues? What are your plans to find local and/or remote work? Just because one goon says you will never find remote work means it's true. I know people who have gotten very good remote jobs and they were not special snowflake developers.

foxatee
Feb 27, 2010

That foxatee is always making a Piggles out of herself.
Yeah, but KG has said Price and Location take precedence over Quality, and this place ticks off both those qualifications, so time to move, imo.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
Hm alright thanks for the discussion everyone. I was actually going to stop interviewing with this recruiter, until he said the pay and the low cost of living.

Something to consider is we may have a rent free place to live in my father-in-law's aunt's empty home. Apparently they just want someone to live there as it has been empty for 5 years. We could climb out of debt insanely fast without rent obviously. Maybe we'd be responsible for taxes in not sure it's just been mentioned without much deep discussion. It's in some city that starts with an m near Stockton but not Merced I don't think.

I'm not really sure either way it'd take some thought. Bugamol I'll pm you for some cities to check out that'd be helpful. On my phone at the moment though.

Thanks again.

E and for details the house is 3br with a yard so no worries bout the animals. But it's not a for sure thing.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 00:56 on May 31, 2015

Gabu
Mar 24, 2010

Knyteguy posted:

Hm alright thanks for the discussion everyone. I was actually going to stop interviewing with this recruiter, until he said the pay and the low cost of living.

Something to consider is we may have a rent free place to live in my father-in-law's aunt's empty home. Apparently they just want someone to live there as it has been empty for 5 years. We could climb out of debt insanely fast without rent obviously. Maybe we'd be responsible for taxes in not sure it's just been mentioned without much deep discussion. It's in some city that starts with an m near Stockton but not Merced I don't think.

I'm not really sure either way it'd take some thought. Bugamol I'll pm you for some cities to check out that'd be helpful. On my phone at the moment though.

Thanks again.

Morada? Because that is still technically Stockton. The only other city I can think of that is near Stockton would be Manteca.

Despite what everyone is saying I think the Lodi/Galt area is pretty neat, super quiet and peaceful most of the time (Kind of boring I guess).

I can't really recommend living in Stockton though, at least check it out to learn what areas are "good", for instance be sure to never go downtown at night, the Wilson Way area has a ton of prostitutes while Charter Way has a higher concentration of gang activity.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Knyteguy posted:

Apparently they just want someone to live there as it has been empty for 5 years.

And this hasn't set off any alarm bells for you at all?

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Gabu posted:

Morada? Because that is still technically Stockton. The only other city I can think of that is near Stockton would be Manteca.

Despite what everyone is saying I think the Lodi/Galt area is pretty neat, super quiet and peaceful most of the time (Kind of boring I guess).

I can't really recommend living in Stockton though, at least check it out to learn what areas are "good", for instance be sure to never go downtown at night, the Wilson Way area has a ton of prostitutes while Charter Way has a higher concentration of gang activity.

Manteca yes

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

I'm not clear, was there really a $110k offer or was that a joke?

Also don't expect a yard in Southern California. Or the Bay Area for that matter. If you get any yard at all you should feel lucky. But don't plan on keeping all the pets.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Jesus christ, all the get rich quick type of poo poo going on in this thread is so tiring.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.
In a short span on time it's gone from San Diego, to Stockton, now Manteca. If quality isn't that big of a concern, West Modesto also has a insanely low cost of living.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
Good luck, knyte. I hope it works out for you.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Nocheez posted:

Good luck, knyte. I hope it works out for you.

Thanks man. If this doesn't work out then I'll reevaluate our course of action. A better course of action may be to just focus on my wife making more right now while I slowly look for something better in Reno. I'm a little wary to pigeonhole myself into a pure Dynamics AX job, too, so I may not take it even. I'll think it over for a little bit.

Like one thing I think I've been bad at conveying to you guys is how important it is for my wife to get out of her job. It's why I wanted san Diego to work out, and it's why I want Stockton to work out. It's an instant out for her.

I'm still on my phone so I'll post later. I wont forget to get Junes budget up for the competition.

Btw I never intended on living in Stockton. I know there's some ok areas, but I've heard many negative things about it for a long time.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 23:00 on May 31, 2015

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006

Knyteguy posted:

Like one thing I think I've been bad at conveying to you guys is how important it is for my wife to get out of her job. It's why I wanted san Diego to work out, and it's why I want Stockton to work out. It's an instant out for her.

Not to come across as a dick, but maybe your wife should have thought about that for the past 3+ years before you guys had a kid. You treat it like it's this thing that like just came up out of nowhere, and the reality is everyone has been saying since day 1 she should find a better job. But it takes effort. Since this thread has started I think I've heard of like 4-5 different wild ideas for her to get a better job, but she's literally put 0 effort in (as far as the thread can tell) beyond talking about them.

It's like... You can't just apply to 2 jobs and then go. "OMG the job market is so tough right now!"

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

nikosoft posted:

I don't know why you guys are so down on this, I did some light googling and Stockton appears to no longer be the murder capital of California! Also, it was the one city hit the hardest in terms of unemployment and falling housing prices during the recession, so grandma's 20k down payment gift can probably go a long ways there!

Nevada is the second most violent state, and Reno was the city hit hardest by the recession. We went from one of the fastest growing cities in the US, to ~15% unemployment. Houses went from $500,000-$600,000 to $150,000 or < $100,000.

Now that said Reno's not a bad city. Much of it is extremely beautiful which helps, and most of the violence comes from tourists (same as Vegas) and is isolated downtown. I feel like Stockton is definitely worse, but it's not like my city is this amazing cuddly place with a bustling economy or whatever. It's still really hard to find jobs here, and it's easy to find a fight or violence if you want to to (and sometimes if you don't want to).

Bugamol posted:

Not to come across as a dick, but maybe your wife should have thought about that for the past 3+ years before you guys had a kid. You treat it like it's this thing that like just came up out of nowhere, and the reality is everyone has been saying since day 1 she should find a better job. But it takes effort. Since this thread has started I think I've heard of like 4-5 different wild ideas for her to get a better job, but she's literally put 0 effort in (as far as the thread can tell) beyond talking about them.

It's like... You can't just apply to 2 jobs and then go. "OMG the job market is so tough right now!"

My wife has finally realized that she needs to find something new. She's not sure what caused the spark, and it's not my place to say what she thinks it is, but needless to say it's there. She already covered the applications process by saying she'll "apply, apply, apply". We've been together 6 years and I think she's finally ready to get out of retail.

June's budget. Restaurants is finally in the black again.

I think if Stockton falls through I'll check out the local mega-software firm branches, and broaden my scope to Carson City and Incline Village. Both of those are commutable and working at Incline Village would mean remote days when it snows too much. n8r I'll look into remote jobs, but I just don't want to count on one and have to maintain the status quo for another year. I'm unhappy with the status quo.

Mango the $110,000 was a joke. Long story short the partner couldn't convince the other partners that I was necessary since I would've been mainly a cost (at first) and they just took on another guy who was a cost. If the other guy didn't beat me to it it would've been mine I think, but they said that if I'm looking in 3-5 months they would like to take me on.

Rudager the house they don't want to rent it out or sell it. I don't know why I don't know the dynamics. As far as I'm aware absolutely nothing is wrong with it. My father-in-law and mother-in-law wouldn't offer us a place that was super ghetto or something. Their whole family is very aware of how terrible Stockton is (my father-in-law's grandma lives in Stockton and has tried to convince her to move).

Anyway I don't want to go on some big tangent about something as my long posts tend to do, so I'll end it there.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

BloodBag posted:

Jesus christ, all the get rich quick type of poo poo going on in this thread is so tiring.

The Aristocrats knyteguy thread!

Knyteguy posted:

She already covered the applications process by saying she'll "apply, apply, apply".

Relax, guys, it's in the wiki

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006
Saw this on Facebook and it seems relatively accurate.

https://local.niche.com/rankings/to...gn=RankingsList

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
Budget

Actual

Fixed Expenses
Budgeted: $2347.98
Actual: $3917.36 [$2258.74] ($1658 of which was covered from previous months in the pregnancy bills)
---
Real Diff: +$89.24

Things to work on: Fuel

Savings
Spent: $0

Flexible Spending
Budgeted: $961.46
Actual: $950.77
---
Real Diff: +$10.69

I think that should meet the criteria of the challenge. Miscellaneous is high for taxi cab fare, so like $42 will be recompensed to me there.

Illegally Sober, Slap me Silly, Aagar, and Horking Delight, let me know if you guys have any questions or concerns.

e: Updated the actual spending to match the same view as the budget. I haven't updated student loans or anything like that yet.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jun 1, 2015

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006

Knyteguy posted:

Savings
Spent: $0

Why did you choose not to allocate anything to savings this month? Are all of the delivery / baby medical expenses paid for at this point?

Also you definitely cut it close this month, but looks pretty good.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
gently caress YNAB for being hard to understand, but as best I can figure out that looks like a great start. I'm with Bugamol - take a few minutes to think about what's going to come up next month and make sure you've got the bases covered.

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

Looks okay but lol did you make up for an overage in pet spending by budgeting more for utilities, and also what's up with your missing internet outflow?

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006

Horking Delight posted:

Looks okay but lol did you make up for an overage in pet spending by budgeting more for utilities, and also what's up with your missing internet outflow?

On this point why are utilities so low?

You came in $195.97 favorable on utilities and $39.99 on internet? Cursory glance makes it look like you're fibbing to be under budget. Maybe it's just an oversight? Historically utilities have been $200+ and internet has always been $39.99. :crossarms:

EDIT: I mean I trust you Knyteguy (or at least I want to), but when you're <$100 favorable to budget and have a $150 of favorability on two suspicious looking line items...

I'm sure your utilities were just down, but if so why did you budget $300? Seems like you way over budgeted this line item if you came in at 1/3rd for actual. Not sure if you were sandbagging on that line item, but I know my utilities don't vary that much month over month.

It also looks like in April you only had a $200 budget on that line item. Which if you had a $200 budget this month you would have overspent by $10. Still great progress, but just seems odd.

Bugamol fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jun 1, 2015

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
My interpretation was, those two categories vary from month to month. This month he spent ~3 months worth of the average pet budget, and 1/3 month of the average utility budget. Kniteguy if I'm wrong please fill us in

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Bugamol posted:

Saw this on Facebook and it seems relatively accurate.

https://local.niche.com/rankings/to...gn=RankingsList

I find Folsom to be interesting on the list. I actually drove through there on the way home yesterday (50E to Tahoe). I'll have to eye it a little closer next time. Truckee would be cool, but talk about expensive. Here's a cool neighborhood I used to do some work in:

Not that I could afford that, just sharing. It's called the Tahoe Keys.

Incline is close (and is actually a little tech hub), and it's close to Truckee I think. I'm going to get my resume ready for some .net jobs and see what bites locally (including Incline). Either that or I'll take a month break from the job search to recuperate.

Bugamol posted:

Why did you choose not to allocate anything to savings this month? Are all of the delivery / baby medical expenses paid for at this point?

Also you definitely cut it close this month, but looks pretty good.

Yes all of the hospital bills are paid for for the baby.

slap me silly posted:

gently caress YNAB for being hard to understand, but as best I can figure out that looks like a great start. I'm with Bugamol - take a few minutes to think about what's going to come up next month and make sure you've got the bases covered.

Yea I agree YNAB is hard to look at if it's not your budget. I was looking at Dog's budget and I was kind of confused myself. I'd do like Mint for you guys, but Mint doesn't work with our credit union.

Will do on the planning thanks.

Horking Delight posted:

Pets just happened to need a second bag of food at a weird time, so the overage technically came out of June (I rolled it into June), but for the math utilities does kind of cover unintentionally. I went high on utilities, because that's about the highest it's been and I didn't want a high utility bill to unexpectedly ruin the challenge.

Bugamol posted:

On this point why are utilities so low?

You came in $195.97 favorable on utilities and $39.99 on internet? Cursory glance makes it look like you're fibbing to be under budget. Maybe it's just an oversight? Historically utilities have been $200+ and internet has always been $39.99. :crossarms:

I'm not sure why utilities are low I just imported data from my credit union, so everything is 100% up to date. I'll investigate. No I'm not trying to fib that would be lame. If anything I may have put our water bill in another category mistakenly. My wife takes care of that with checks so it could be an oversight as YNAB will just import that as 'check'. Internet bills late sometimes the balance will rollover to June and come out then.

slap me silly posted:

My interpretation was, those two categories vary from month to month. This month he spent ~3 months worth of the average pet budget, and 1/3 month of the average utility budget. Kniteguy if I'm wrong please fill us in

That's about right. Pets just happened to fall on a weird month, and W/S/T didn't come out this month which has been sending our utility bills high lately (especially since the rental agency forgot to bill us for it for 6 months). On average this may be about right if I didn't miscategorize something.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Bugamol posted:

EDIT: I mean I trust you Knyteguy (or at least I want to), but when you're <$100 favorable to budget and have a $150 of favorability on two suspicious looking line items...

I'm sure your utilities were just down, but if so why did you budget $300? Seems like you way over budgeted this line item if you came in at 1/3rd for actual. Not sure if you were sandbagging on that line item, but I know my utilities don't vary that much month over month.

It also looks like in April you only had a $200 budget on that line item. Which if you had a $200 budget this month you would have overspent by $10. Still great progress, but just seems odd.

Frankly it may have been blind luck. I don't know let me look into why utilities is less. Again I just imported from my bank so everything should be accurate. April's utilities were $310 which is why I chose $300 for utilities. I just chose the highest we've ever billed at so we didn't get surprised.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Are you going to use the same budget for June? You are going to carry those negative balances over right? If you don't do that you're still not really budgeting.

It also appears that your original May budget shows 5155.64 in total outflows. Yet when you post what you actually spent the budgeted number grew to $5315, then you proceeded to $5689. This puts you at ~$500 over your actual budget.

What are you spending your discretionary budgets on? Combining misc with those two line items puts you at $330 of stuff that you're not really tracking. What are you spending this on?

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Knyteguy posted:

Yea I agree YNAB is hard to look at if it's not your budget.

Along these lines, please explain me what is going on with Savings and Restaurants.

Also, why does the May outcome say $5315 budgeted, whereas the initial budget says $5155, yet all the amounts in that column are the same.

Also, what's up with being $100 over on fuel.

Yes he has to use the same budget for June :D

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

n8r posted:

Are you going to use the same budget for June? You are going to carry those negative balances over right? If you don't do that you're still not really budgeting.

It also appears that your original May budget shows 5155.64 in total outflows. Yet when you post what you actually spent the budgeted number grew to $5315, then you proceeded to $5689. This puts you at ~$500 over your actual budget.

What are you spending your discretionary budgets on? Combining misc with those two line items puts you at $330 of stuff that you're not really tracking. What are you spending this on?

Business revenue threw off the budgeted amount. Which reminds me I need to get a business checking account (which I guess Paypal kind of is) so I can take it off our household budget.

Miscellaneous again there was $42 in taxi fare due for repayment, I had to pay a small fee for a lost debit card (lost being somewhere in my house), and I'm not sure what the rest was at the moment YNAB cut off the payee at "L". I can check later.

Yes I'll probably pay us back for some overages that we made in June. I made this budget with enough room that there shouldn't be overages at all.

slap me silly posted:

Along these lines, please explain me what is going on with Savings and Restaurants.

Also, why does the May outcome say $5315 budgeted, whereas the initial budget says $5155, yet all the amounts in that column are the same.

Also, what's up with being $100 over on fuel.

Yes he has to use the same budget for June :D

Savings we have rolling balances, so we kinda felt we were at a good place with some categories like vet bills for the moment, as did a couple people in the thread. Holiday/giving is something we generally use every month so we could probably put that in flexible spending. Car registration we have due this month, so that needs to come out (and holy crap I just realized I'd better not get a ticket).

Road trip to Sacramento/Folsom hurt us on fuel. The rest I guess we just drove more. I'm sure that'll come down drastically in June.

Restaurants we've been paying ourselves back on since March, so every month we technically budget $100 to pay ourselves back.

Business revenue is what changed up budgeted.

As SMS said same budget in June (and July) :arghfist:

I'll find out what's up with utilities. Please let me know if I missed any questions.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
June I'm going to make a soft goal to keep my discretionary spending to $100. I said this last month as well, but I'll go ahead and aim for it again.

Internet - Still waiting on it to come out.
Utilities - Add $48.49 as it we paid the water/sewer (W/S) bill last Thursday (again by check), but it hasn't cleared yet.

So like in February our power bill was $148.09, and our W/S was $59.75, so it was over $200. Then you guys'll remember that I cut our power bill by turning down our heat and turning off my pc religiously which cut our power bill by about $50/mo. March and April our power bills were $112 and $118 which would have led to similar bills as this month, but we had a backlog to pay from our rental agency forgetting to bill us some crap (the details are fuzzy). May was just the first month our power saving efforts actually got to be felt as a lower utility bill. Plus it rained for 14 days in a row so I didn't have to water the lawn at all.

I'll be happy to provide all the data if you guys want. June should show a similar bill I think, and July will have the trash bill (billed every 3 months) so that'll go up. I'd be happy to post some bills or something if everyone wants to verify numbers. Here's proof of our power saving efforts, at least:

May's Bill (plus June's estimate):

Bill summaries:

I find it all confusing personally. Living in a house makes the bill sway much more than I'm used to. Even in a 2100 sq/ft 3-story townhouse our utility bill was basically consistently $90-$100/mo.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jun 1, 2015

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

You budgeted $5155 in your May budget.

You spent $5689.

You need to spend $4621 this month in order to stay on budget. Is this right?

It appears the biggest hit you took was the $1600 pregnancy bill. YNAB is the biggest piece of poo poo I've ever seen. I've read your budgets every month, and it's so hard to tell what is going where. The fact that there is a outflows/debits column but no credits/deposits column is so stupid.

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006
So basically with internet + utilities you came in about $11 under budget.

Cut it real close man. I mean congrats on staying under budget, but you got lucky that you *accidentally sandbagged your utilities by 100%.

EDIT: *added a word

Bugamol fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jun 1, 2015

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

Knyteguy posted:

Road trip to Sacramento/Folsom hurt us on fuel. The rest I guess we just drove more. I'm sure that'll come down drastically in June.
Don't ever change, kg.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Bugamol posted:

Cut it real close man. I mean congrats on staying under budget, but you got lucky that you *accidentally sandbagged your utilities by 100%.

How did he come in under budget by $11? Budget said $5100 - he spent $5600.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Bugamol posted:

I know, too close.

Easychair Bootson posted:

Don't ever change, kg.

OK :v:

n8r posted:

Here man. Look at this instead:

If you look at just this data then I think it'll clarify. Ignore the preggo bills because we had that money already. Look at red vs black and that will get rid of (almost) all the YNAB tomfoolery.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

So you overspent on 6 categories?

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

n8r posted:

$1658.62 of that was pregnancy bills which he'd budgeted the money for previously.

YNAB is not that difficult to understand. The left column is how much you allocate to the envelope (category) this month, the middle column is how much you spent from the envelope (category) this month, and the left column is how much is currently left in the envelope (category). The top row, on top of all the categories, is the current totals. So it that gives you the total amount he allocated to envelopes this month, the total amount he spent this month, and then amount he has left in envelopes after that spending.

Now you notice that he did not need to budget any money in the left column to get a $0 left in the envelope for the pregnancy bills even though he spent $1658.62 because he'd allocated that money previously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

n8r posted:

So you overspent on 6 categories?

Correct. And "under spent" or came in even on the rest. I'll consider rolling over balances if I feel like we can make June a little tighter, but going under budget on categories also rolls the benefits over to next month so we end up not having to spend money on categories at all (see renter's insurance). It tends to even itself out.

I'll see if I can whip up a spreadsheet again to make the data a little easier to read.

E: Or hopefully Rurutia's explanation will help.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jun 1, 2015

• Locked thread