Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

I can show you what endless looks like
I can show you a single infinite thing
I can let you taste the sweet and sour of forever
Unending. Eternal. Inevitable
Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Fall into me. Into my eyes
Look at them. Depths unfathomable
Pain immeasurable
A cruel promise fulfilled
Can anyone recommend an IR lightbulb to help with night vision for cams? The ones I keep finding are like $70

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Does it have to be an A19/A29 traditional style light bulb? Google "or illuminators"

https://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Electronics-IR-Illuminators/zgbs/electronics/7161095011

Most of those look like they are $18-32

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Buff Hardback posted:

Yeah, it's a very subtle difference, but Google doesn't want to sell your data, they want you to trust them as much as possible so you give them as much data as you possibly can. Selling or leaking your data means you won't want to give Google data.

Amazon has all the awkward law enforcement interactions to keep in mind, and no critical business interest in keeping your data safe and secure since that's not necessarily where they make money from.

As someone who has been a part of a successful class action lawsuit against Google, they definitely want to also sell your data and will do it even if they sign a contract stating they won’t. They just don’t want to get caught doing it and figure most people won’t check.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Rick posted:

As someone who has been a part of a successful class action lawsuit against Google, they definitely want to also sell your data and will do it even if they sign a contract stating they won’t. They just don’t want to get caught doing it and figure most people won’t check.

If you're really pulling out the G+ class action then lol

Not even Googlers enjoyed G+ and its most successful product is something they ripped out of G+ and made it its own thing (Photos) because they realized how much of a anchor G+ was

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Hi Home Automatons. I've been having a frustrating time trying to find a suitable smart thermostat. Ideally, I want something that works just like Philips Hue - app control from within the house, on my LAN, without the device connecting to the internet/"cloud"; and timed events so I can turn the heating off at 11pm automatically if we forget.

As far as I can tell, every off-the-shelf solution for normal people relies on the company's servers to work - the local electronics website offers products from Nest/Google, Tado, Bosch, Honeywell, Netatmo. So first question, am I right in thinking these won't work (usefully) if isolated from the internet?

Alternatively, I'm happy to use something more open, e.g. z-wave thermostat, and integrate it with other systems. I've been dabbling with OpenHAB for example. But I'm struggling to find one that works with my heating system. For reference I'm in Europe, my current thermostat is a Honeywell T8851M, and my heating system is a hot-air based, connected to the thermostat by two wires that land on its A and B terminals. That's about as far as I've got.

Any tips?

E: and there' just one thermostat, in the living room, no "zones" or anything like that

Bobstar fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Oct 18, 2020

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

I like my Radio Thermostat CT50. It's basically a run-of-the-mill programmable thermostat with optional Wifi and Z-Wave modules. I think you can expose it to "the cloud" if you want, but you can also run it entirely without. I use Z-Wave to adjust it via Home Assistant.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I know the Ecobee will work without internet via HomeKit. I can control it even if my internet is down.

All of the smart thermostats should fall back to being a regular programmable thermostat if the cloud services go down.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

azurite posted:

I like my Radio Thermostat CT50. It's basically a run-of-the-mill programmable thermostat with optional Wifi and Z-Wave modules. I think you can expose it to "the cloud" if you want, but you can also run it entirely without. I use Z-Wave to adjust it via Home Assistant.

That looks like the kind of thing, but it also looks like a North American kind of thing, not sure I can get that here.

FCKGW posted:

I know the Ecobee will work without internet via HomeKit. I can control it even if my internet is down.

All of the smart thermostats should fall back to being a regular programmable thermostat if the cloud services go down.

Yeah I saw that most of them keep doing something without internet, but the ones I've seen don't allow the app to work on LAN, it has to go via their servers.

It's possible that what that the precise combination of things I'm looking for doesn't exist.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Buff Hardback posted:

If you're really pulling out the G+ class action then lol

Not even Googlers enjoyed G+ and its most successful product is something they ripped out of G+ and made it its own thing (Photos) because they realized how much of a anchor G+ was

Not G+. They took over our college’s email and then sold the hell out of our info.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?
So Google announced they are ending production on their Nest Security system. If they clearance them would it be worth getting? I'm about to move into a new house and was looking for a camera/security solution and I'm fully google smart device wise as it is.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Comfortador posted:

So Google announced they are ending production on their Nest Security system. If they clearance them would it be worth getting? I'm about to move into a new house and was looking for a camera/security solution and I'm fully google smart device wise as it is.

In this same vein, has anyone switched from Google to Amazon? I was a fan of Google's ecosystem between the Chromecast, my SO's former Android phone, so we went kinda all in on Google stuff. As it stands now, we have a Mini, two Hubs (small one and a large one) and the aforementioned Nest Secure. However, when Google drops something, they usually stop supporting it entirely somewhere down the line and then people are just supposed to naturally move on. Which leaves me a little antsy about having my own currently secured by a Nest Secure.

Now, looking at Amazon stuff, it may make more sense for us.

For me, I have a Kindle already and we both use Prime to the grit on its teeth, and we could/should utilize Dash buttons or whatever the hell. We could relatively easily replace the Minis with Dots, the Hubs with Shows, but the security portion will be something to figure out and learn somewhere down the line. Has anyone done the switch and come out better? We used to be Amazon, but I can't even remember why we switched, necessarily. I still have a CloudCam, even.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I recently got a Google Nest Wifi, and because it doesn't separate SSIDs for 2.4 and 5ghz anymore, I'm having trouble adding my 2.4ghz only smart plugs to my wifi network. Any ideas for how to do this? There is no way to force the Nest Wifi to 2.4ghz.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

CLAM DOWN posted:

I recently got a Google Nest Wifi, and because it doesn't separate SSIDs for 2.4 and 5ghz anymore, I'm having trouble adding my 2.4ghz only smart plugs to my wifi network. Any ideas for how to do this? There is no way to force the Nest Wifi to 2.4ghz.

Are you sure it's that? I had no problem doing any smart home stuff with my Ubiquiti stuff and it didn't separate SSIDs. What did cause problems was having mobile data turned on during setup. My Wyze plugs absolutely refused to connect, both on same SSID and different 2.4/5ghz setups, until I disabled data

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Are you sure it's that? I had no problem doing any smart home stuff with my Ubiquiti stuff and it didn't separate SSIDs. What did cause problems was having mobile data turned on during setup. My Wyze plugs absolutely refused to connect, both on same SSID and different 2.4/5ghz setups, until I disabled data

Mobile data?! No way. I'll give that a shot.

e: Didn't make a difference :( They're these smart plugs, if that helps: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07FQMVW45

CLAM DOWN fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Oct 20, 2020

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Echo Show and I believe Echo Plus can do some stuff around home control even without internet access with local speech recognition. I imagine the market isn’t there, but it seems like the technology is.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

CLAM DOWN posted:

My experience is lovely 2.4 only smarthome devices only have issues with shared SSIDs for initial configuration and once they know which network to latch onto they work fine.

Probably the simplest solution is just to unplug the Nest WiFi and use a crappy old 2.4 only router or one that can be configured for only 2.4, set up the devices on that router using the same SSID and password as the Next and then swap out the WiFi after they are programed.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
drat reading about the work arounds for this is rough. The answers I see the most are "find an old device that doesn't support 5ghz to do the setup." But I wonder then, how do you get the app on the device if it's that old? Another work around suggested is "move far enough away that 5ghz falls off and only 2.4 waves remain. I mean in my apartment that means I'm somehow setting this thing up outside. Another is "clone it with your mobile hot spot" but it looks pretty complicated.

I dunno, I didn't see anyone say they tried to use a wifi extender. I guess it's pretty similar to the "walk far away" solution with an added $35 device on top of it, but you could just have the extender only spit out 2.4 ghz and put the device next to it and maybe catch it. I have done this for a lovely work camera system before.

Three Olives posted:

My experience is lovely 2.4 only smarthome devices only have issues with shared SSIDs for initial configuration and once they know which network to latch onto they work fine.

Probably the simplest solution is just to unplug the Nest WiFi and use a crappy old 2.4 only router or one that can be configured for only 2.4, set up the devices on that router using the same SSID and password as the Next and then swap out the WiFi after they are programed.

This is honestly probably the easiest answer.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

drat, that makes sense, but I got the google wifi because my old garbage router completely died haha. I'll borrow one from a friend or buy a cheap one, as long as I have these lovely plugs I'm sure I'll need to do this again sometime. Thanks gang, I'll let you know if that works (it probably will).

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

I can show you what endless looks like
I can show you a single infinite thing
I can let you taste the sweet and sour of forever
Unending. Eternal. Inevitable
Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Fall into me. Into my eyes
Look at them. Depths unfathomable
Pain immeasurable
A cruel promise fulfilled

Hadlock posted:

Does it have to be an A19/A29 traditional style light bulb? Google "or illuminators"

https://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Electronics-IR-Illuminators/zgbs/electronics/7161095011

Most of those look like they are $18-32

Oh, it would have been nice fora traditional type bulb but beggars can't be choosers. Thank you for the recommendation!

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Ubiquiti stuff

Ah gently caress me, THAT'S the name of it!

When I was asking about doorbell cameras earlier, I was wondering if this company made them, but I couldn't for the life of me remember the name.

https://store.ui.com/collections/unifi-protect/products/uvc-g4-doorbell

Anyone have experience with this? My understanding is that their cameras are generally good and, more importantly, secure. The doorbell would be step 1 for video for our house, with other cameras coming later on.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?
Well just looking around for extra Nest sensors and stuff, it looks like everyone is sold out of them which would make equipping out the house next to impossible. I may have to bark up another tree. Any recommendations on a Security System that has cameras as well, or a security system that will play nice with Google and their cameras if I end up going that route anyways? Or hell, even if non-google is the recommendation but they integrate with Google smart devices I guess. I have way too many google devices to just switch to something else.

Thanks in advance.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

DaveSauce posted:

Ah gently caress me, THAT'S the name of it!

When I was asking about doorbell cameras earlier, I was wondering if this company made them, but I couldn't for the life of me remember the name.

https://store.ui.com/collections/unifi-protect/products/uvc-g4-doorbell

Anyone have experience with this? My understanding is that their cameras are generally good and, more importantly, secure. The doorbell would be step 1 for video for our house, with other cameras coming later on.

Linus tech just did a review of this and it seemed pretty awesome to me. Gotta be willing to fork over the bucks though to capture your own video. Its worth watching the youtube on it jf you might be interested.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

SpaceCadetBob posted:

Linus tech just did a review of this and it seemed pretty awesome to me. Gotta be willing to fork over the bucks though to capture your own video. Its worth watching the youtube on it jf you might be interested.

Yeah, I noticed the up-front price. Long term I'm looking for a whole-house exterior camera system with local storage, so this is a good start, but I'm definitely balking at the cost.

edit: but it does tick all the boxes of secure, quality, and presumably doesn't sell my video to anyone who asks.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

DaveSauce posted:

Yeah, I noticed the up-front price. Long term I'm looking for a whole-house exterior camera system with local storage, so this is a good start, but I'm definitely balking at the cost.

edit: but it does tick all the boxes of secure, quality, and presumably doesn't sell my video to anyone who asks.

Well with Ubiquiti the video is stored locally, so they can't.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

CLAM DOWN posted:

Mobile data?! No way. I'll give that a shot.

e: Didn't make a difference :( They're these smart plugs, if that helps: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07FQMVW45

I think you can flash those with Tasmota or esphome, FWIW.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

I think you can flash those with Tasmota or esphome, FWIW.

I really do not want to flash different firmware on my electrical plugs. I just want them to work as-is. Thanks though.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
I do! I’m still trying to figure out what are some good ones to get, then I’ll probably need help flashing them if anyone has a tutorial.

First I’m wanting to figure out how to OTA flash my esp8266 though. Is that like a framework I install and then call while in the loop() or something else? I’ve flashed some custom programs I’ve written over serial, but haven’t messed with OTA flashing over WiFi yet.

I’m also trying to PXE boot my raspberry pi’s... so many projects, so little time.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

Heh, I just did this because my Ecovacs DEEBOT app wouldn't work on a 5GHz network but for me all I had to do was get the app to open and then it would connect to the network. Is that the situation you're in?

If so the way I did it was to open the status page showing my current wifi connection on my phone, then I covered the phone with my hands until the signal was weakened to the point that the network degraded, then I switched back to the app and it worked.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

I'm looking for a door bell video camera system that doesn't require a subscription, and the Eufy doorbell seems to fit the bill. Oddly though, the camera has local storage of 4GB, and it can't be expanded.

It seems like it's a huge gap in the market. Why hasn't a company filled it yet?

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

FCKGW posted:

Once I figured out how to setup Homebridge and bring my non-Homekit devices (mainly my tp-link switches) into the Apple ecosystem things have been much smoother.

How did you do this? I've got a bunch of stuff that's only compatible with Google Home Assistant - some wifi light bulbs, a Sonos, etc. I really want to be done with the Google ecosystem so I'm seriously considering doing this. Do I need anything specific to get started with Homekit (bridge?) and what are my options for stuff like TP-Link power plugs that don't have Homekit compatibility?

I see some hacky workarounds with IFTTT but I would prefer something more reliable and supported, my experience with IFTTT was all over the place. I assume I have to replace the Sonos with a Homepod for starters.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Bioshuffle posted:

I'm looking for a door bell video camera system that doesn't require a subscription, and the Eufy doorbell seems to fit the bill. Oddly though, the camera has local storage of 4GB, and it can't be expanded.

It seems like it's a huge gap in the market. Why hasn't a company filled it yet?

It's not much more, but the battery version with a home base has 16GB. Still not expandable though

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

LastInLine posted:

Heh, I just did this because my Ecovacs DEEBOT app wouldn't work on a 5GHz network but for me all I had to do was get the app to open and then it would connect to the network. Is that the situation you're in?

If so the way I did it was to open the status page showing my current wifi connection on my phone, then I covered the phone with my hands until the signal was weakened to the point that the network degraded, then I switched back to the app and it worked.

Similar situation, but mine use this app - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tuya.smartlife. It's not as smart as yours! I actually tried leaving my apartment and going as far away as I can to force 2.4ghz but no luck :(

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

It's not much more, but the battery version with a home base has 16GB. Still not expandable though
I take it, it will automatically write over the older files once the slot fills up?

I could live with 16GB.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

Bioshuffle posted:

I think the two main market demands are:

1) Remote viewing/two-way comms so you can tell people to piss off when you're not home
2) Video storage without investing in a local server

At least, this is what the current options lead me to believe. Both of these require cloud services, so it's hard to do without charging people for it.

Incidentally, I JUST got an e-mail today from Abode saying their outdoor camera is finally available for pre-order:

https://goabode.com/security-devices/security-cameras/outdoor-smart-cam

Tempting, since I already use Abode. Cheaper than the Ubiquiti, for sure.

Only real hang-up for me is that there's no button. It uses motion sensing alone to sound the chime.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Bioshuffle posted:

I take it, it will automatically write over the older files once the slot fills up?

I could live with 16GB.

I'm think? I swear my floodlight cam did that with it's local storage. I haven't gotten to filling the doorbell's storage up, but I'd be surprised if it didn't. A quick Google says it should

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Bioshuffle posted:

I think the Wyze Doorbell Cam is the one to watch, it's just not out yet

https://wyze.com/wyze-doorbell.html

Doesn't seem to have local storage like their cams but comes with 14-days of free rolling video storage.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

The Gunslinger posted:

How did you do this? I've got a bunch of stuff that's only compatible with Google Home Assistant - some wifi light bulbs, a Sonos, etc. I really want to be done with the Google ecosystem so I'm seriously considering doing this. Do I need anything specific to get started with Homekit (bridge?) and what are my options for stuff like TP-Link power plugs that don't have Homekit compatibility?

I see some hacky workarounds with IFTTT but I would prefer something more reliable and supported, my experience with IFTTT was all over the place. I assume I have to replace the Sonos with a Homepod for starters.

Honestly I kinda stumbled into it, I'm using something called HOOBS in a docker container, which is a fork of Homebridge made to be a little more using friendly.
https://hoobs.org/

They sell a complete kit with with a plug-n-play hardware device if you want to go that route, but just the software itself works fine for me. You can run it in docker or on a raspberry Pi.

For the TP-Link stuff, the homebridge just acts as a gateway where it talks to TP-Link's local API to control everything instead of using the cloud servers.

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Oct 21, 2020

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

What are the best smart bulbs for a home without internet? My mom's doesn't have internet in her condo because she does everything on her phone, but I'd like to have her try something smart out

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
the philips hue hub works without internet if she has an Iphone. As do their light bulbs if run without hub, like ge ones but for android.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Ikea Trådfri works fine without internet and integrates with my home assistant pi just fine.

Don’t buy bulbs at Amazon or online because it’s like twice the in store cost though.